Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
So the film is basically a nearly three hour defense of Sirhan Sirhan's assassination of RFK. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Sirhan was framed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shageletic posted:

None of whom are in the prime of their career or as A-list as Jennifer Lawrence is right now. RDJ was at the bottom of his career with a slight resurgence due to the indie movie Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Scarlet Johansen would be the biggest name on that list but circa IM2 was nowhere the level she is now, Wesley Snipes was never A-list, Hugo Weaving is a character actor in the States, Paul Rudd worked as supporting cast in Apatow movies and indie TV shows, Ed Norton hadn't had a hit (this is way before Birdman) in years, ditto with Michael Douglas. Of that list Natalie Portman (an actress that had movies like Black Swan under her belt, but no big screen success since The Professional when she was like 11) and Anthony Hopkins (who has been playing mostly bit parts lately fit for an actor his age) are the most high-tier I think.

I'd maintain that all those people are pretty big stars and that your argument doesn't hold.

I'm not even counting Sony and Fox actors like Halle Barry, Toby M, Dunst, Pat Stewart, Dafoe, Affleck, Jessica Alba, Kevin Bacon, Emma Stone and bit players like Martin Sheen, Sally Field, etc (unless that was your point: only Marvel actors), but even leaving it just to Marvel actors it's still a pretty star studded cast overall. Maybe you mean they're not casting Robert DeNiro, Meryl Streep and Robert Redford (there's another one) to play the Avengers but you seem to be cherry picking here about what constitutes "stardom" to support an argument I find dubious.

Terrance Howard, Jeff Bridges, Mickey Rourke, Rene Russo, Tommy Lee Jones, Idris Elba, Don Cheadle, Josh Brolin...Ben loving Kingsley...Vin Diesel, Glenn Close, Brad Cooper, James Spader...

Lot of star power there from where I sit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Electromax posted:

Well if you remove the word leaked, you'll get less silent judgement. But the movie is in theaters now.

It's not out yet where I live!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
All the international reviews and about a third of the American ones are in on Rotten Tomatoes and Civil War has 100% from top critics and 98% overall.

:stare:

When the last batch of US reviews come out it might drop some, but currently the highest rated comic movie on RT.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 28, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

teagone posted:

Is it kosher to discuss the leaked airport scene?

The movie's out, sure it is. Just don't talk about where to find it online. Use spoiler tags, though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All the international reviews and about a third of the American ones are in on Rotten Tomatoes and Civil War has 100% from top critics and 98% overall.

When the last batch of US reviews come out it might drop some, but currently the highest rated comic movie on RT.

It's really good and also actually enjoyable to watch unlike the dour slog of BvS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

The movie's out, sure it is. Just don't talk about where to find it online. Use spoiler tags, though.

Ok, cool.

So. The leaked scene doesn't show how everyone got to the airport. It starts with Spider-Man already there, where he says he's a big fan of cap. I don't mind being spoiled, so if someone could explain the context and the set up for that sequence, I'd appreciate it :) Also I did not expect Chadwick Boseman's accent to sound so badass, haha.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's probably very enjoyable, albeit fairly safe as well.

The most interesting thing I'm hearing is Hydra not actually being behind it all, even though their programming of Bucky is a direct reason for a lot of the conflict.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Based on what I've seen, letting/getting Black Panther, Ant-Man, Vision, and Wanda involved in the fighting seems like sort of a mistake on the part of each side. The four are either too unhinged or simply way too dangerous for the sake of sanity.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

.Ben loving Kingsley

Ben Kingsley will appear in a movie for twenty bucks and a McDonald's cheeseburger.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

Ben Kingsley will appear in a movie for twenty bucks and a McDonald's cheeseburger.

That's Sir Ben Kingsley.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Stephen Merchant also in Wolverine 3.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/stephen-merchant-wolverine-3-hugh-jackman-x-men-1201745268/

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hoping he's an idiot AI who eventually takes over Boyd Holbrook's role as main villain.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't understand how the airport scene is shot at all. There's no motion at all in the background and it looks entirely flat and isolated. Like, I just don't understand why these movies -have- to be shot like TV.

The highway scenes in Cap 2 looked decent -because- of motion and I didn't expect this movie to downgrade in its standout scenes.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 28, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

and why the hell did they shoot the movie in such a low resolution?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NecroMonster posted:

You're smarter than this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Darko posted:

I just don't understand why these movies -have- to be shot like TV.

It's what the Russos know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

You're smarter than this.

He was clearly joking about :filez:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sorry i'm trying to find a way to criticize what i've seen of the movie over something incredibly stupid that doesn't matter

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

sorry i'm trying to find a way to criticize what i've seen of the movie over something incredibly stupid that doesn't matter

Yeah who needs exciting well shot and inventive action scenes

Putting those on auto pilot in an action movie is totally fine

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I haven't seem the scene in question but based on the length of black bars discussing it I'm guessing the airport fight is interrupted by Michael Pena's character from Ant-Man where he explains the misunderstanding that causes the rift between Stark and Rodgers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

Apparently the airport scene is exciting and inventive, so I dunno what you're going on about. I'm not watching it until I see the movie at the theater, but considering the positive buzz it's getting I think that you would be in a minority saying it's a poor action scene.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Burkion posted:

it is an exciting well shot action scene.

sorry it isn't an exciting well shot background.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Burkion posted:

I'll give them a pass on creativity because Civil War plays with the novelty of characters in its collection of films spanning almost a decade now being at odds with one another. I was apprehensive about the way the airport sequence was being shown in official clips, but after seeing the leak, I was surprised at how much I didn't care about the setting or the way it was shot being so bland. What made the sequence work for me, personally, were the character interactions and dialogue. Sure, it might not be a technically impressive or innovative set piece (not that it needed to be), but even without supporting context, I was engaged in the content thru the strength of the actors alone.

[edit] By comparison, there was a severe emotional disconnect for me with the action sequences in Batman v Superman, primarily the title fight and the Batmobile sequence. I'd argue they were more aesthetically pleasing than Civil War's airport set piece, but if I'm not emotionally invested what I'm watching or drawn in by an actors performance during the action, I can't find myself to enjoy it enough to deem it "good" in any way.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 28, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Apparently the airport scene is exciting and inventive, so I dunno what you're going on about. I'm not watching it until I see the movie at the theater, but considering the positive buzz it's getting I think that you would be in a minority saying it's a poor action scene.

People thought Winter Soldier's action scenes were fantastic, genre topping scenes and that Age of Ultron was awesome. When are we going to learn that Buzz is all lies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

aduhhhhh

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven't seem the scene in question but based on the length of black bars discussing it I'm guessing the airport fight is interrupted by Michael Pena's character from Ant-Man where he explains the misunderstanding that causes the rift between Stark and Rodgers.

If that happens I'm there opening day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Michael Pena needs to be in every MCU film.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

drat, now the movie is gonna seem so bad when this doesn't happen

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This would make an amazing One-Shot.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

So, who has seen CW? Spoil me, does anybody die? And I don't mean "well, technically, in a metaphorical sense..."

I mean straight up murdered.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Civil War is directed by the same guys who did Winter Soldier, right?

I just watched Winter Soldier recently and while it's not great it's a lot better than the Avengers movies, so I'm cautiously optimistic about Civil War being okay.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

PiedPiper posted:

So, who has seen CW? Spoil me, does anybody die? And I don't mean "well, technically, in a metaphorical sense..."

War Machine gets paralyzed, but is able to walk with assistance from Stark Industries, other than that no one dies.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

PiedPiper posted:

King T'chaka, The Starks, and The Winter Soldier all get murdered.

Also, Tony and Pepper's relationship.

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 28, 2016

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Whizbang posted:

King T'chaka, The Starks, and The Winter Soldier all get murdered.

Also, Tony and Pepper's relationship.

Does box office get murdered too?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

BiggerBoat posted:

Terrance Howard, Jeff Bridges, Mickey Rourke, Rene Russo, Tommy Lee Jones, Idris Elba, Don Cheadle, Josh Brolin...Ben loving Kingsley...Vin Diesel, Glenn Close, Brad Cooper, James Spader...

belgians in the congo !!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Burkion posted:

Next time it would be cool if they had their civil war while going down a log flume at disney world.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 28, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Electromax posted:

Next time it would be cool if they had their civil war going while down a log flume at disney world.

I would unironically book tickets for a Spiderman movie where the Sinister Six are each loving with different Disneyland/world rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, one of the Civil War commercials shows a quick shot of Steve Rogers being a pallbearer for a casket that looks like it's draped in a British flag. Is Peggy Carter the first victim of the Infinity War after Thanos' girl Death takes her?

• Locked thread