Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have no idea why any local laws would be passed to prohibit the sales of used items, as at least in the US, the Supreme Court has ruled on resale and you can resale your stuff. Local laws can't supersede that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

memy posted:

Am I misremembering or did Patrick Stewart himself join in on that dogpile?

Stewart's was months earlier, people just photoshopped the tweets together to make it look like it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I like Smash Up ok as long as you have dice to track totals and only play to 10 points.

My smash up house rule is to only ever play with three people and three bases, it's kinda my guilty pleasure, scratches my mtg itch that pops up from time to time. And yeah, dice to track break points are essential

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rutibex posted:

This is going to be entertaining lol.

I personally like Fluxx, but I would recommend you get the Space Fluxx as it adds some more interesting mechanics. Don't play with too many people though, the game gets exponentially longer the more players you add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWiaJIhTH4

Real talk. You can like whatever you like, but you like utter trash.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's my review of Smash Up!

canyoneer posted:

Had some friends over tonight. Wife said, "hey, last time we didn't get to play [friend]'s game. We should play it this time. Ever heard of Smash Up? Does it come recommended?"

No, it doesn't come highly recommended. So I endured my first game of Smash Up today. Let me give my short, honest review:
The game itself was not that bad for the first 90% of it.
The rules are hot garbage, written in a totally embarrassing meme speak affect. There's also zero clarification within the rules as to specific triggering order on abilities/effects or how the cards interact, and there's no FAQ. There's even an unofficial fan/apologists wiki that sets out some "house rule" variants to clear up the confusion in those stupid interactions.
The game suffers greatly (like Munchkin!) from the kingmaker effect at the end game when it appears someone is close to winning, and makes the entire thing un-fun.

Never again!

I'll add that the balance is really poor. I'd recommend King of Tokyo as a light game that's much better thought out and more fun.

Fluxx is best when short and silly. There's not a great deal of depth to it, and the nature of the game is such that you're not really strategizing beyond your next turn. Keeping it small is a big part of keeping it short. It's worth 15 minutes of your time every now and again, but really suffers when it's dragged out to 45 minutes.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I forgot to mention that I'll mostly be playing 2-players, occasionally 3-4.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Even from an It's Just Fun!TM perspective, Smash Up is really bad. It never feels like you're smashing anything up. Minions don't attack, they just stand around until the sum of their power reaches a certain threshold.

Literally the only thing it has "going for it" is that it's Ninjas Versus Robots So Cool You Guys!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite thing about Smash Up is how they didn't even bother including a way to keep score in the game. Not even any point markers or whatever. They eventually had to add that stuff into one of the expansions.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Boz0r posted:

My go-to recommendations for 2 player games are:
Ticket To Ride
Castles of Burgundy
Valley of the Kings Afterlife
Dominion

All of those are great with 2, and also scale well with more.

And of course, Lord of the Rings LCG and X-Wing Miniatures :homebrew:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Even from an It's Just Fun!TM perspective, Smash Up is really bad. It never feels like you're smashing anything up. Minions don't attack, they just stand around until the sum of their power reaches a certain threshold.

Literally the only thing it has "going for it" is that it's Ninjas Versus Robots So Cool You Guys!!!

Yeah, having played both the big problem I have with Smash Up and Sentinels of the Multiverse, both big multiplayer nerdbait cardstravaganzas that people in my neck of the woods seem to love, is that they're dull as hell.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Boz0r posted:

7 Wonders Duel is good, but only does 2. Tash Kalar if you're ever in the mood for something a little heavier, though it's best as 1v1 or 2v2, not 3p. Carcassonne is a classic and it scales up well.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
If I have a crowd of friends who want to play games like Exploding Kitten or Fluxx, what should I bring for us to play instead? I was aware Exploding Kitten was trash and I can see why people rag on it but Fluxx is my choice out of our party game rotation.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If you enjoy Fluxx, don't let us talk you out of playing it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

This, but if you're interested in trying something new that suits crowds/parties well, see if you can find Codenames, Skull, or Coup.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
^ Thank you.

Some Numbers posted:

It's a form of game I enjoy but I do wish there was a bit more to it. The group loves casual, light, fast stuff because it's 80% casual level gamers, myself included. If there's something similar that mitigates what people don't like about Fluxx I'd be pretty excited to check it out.

The best I've got so far is Monopoly Deal, from a recommendation in a thread here. There's a fair bit more strategy but I could still pull it out with four drunks who don't play many games, it has a fair dose of 'gently caress you' in the mechanics, plus people dig it because they like Monopoly but hate playing Actual Two Hour Monopoly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Codenames and Coup are the best light, party-gameish recommendations I can think of.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, Codenames and Coup are the best light, party-gameish recommendations I can think of.

Love Letter is another super light, super quick filler game that my group enjoys quite a bit.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Love Letter is another super light, super quick filler game that my group enjoys quite a bit.

The big problem with Love Letter is it only plays four people tops, so depending on the party situation it makes a bad game since it means you'll be breaking into groups. I know, I know, I don't disagree that breaking into groups to play two separate games is a perfectly viable and overlooked solution to "everyone cram into the same game," but if we're talking a bunch of friends getting together to drink and play something as opposed to Board Game Night then you probably want something everyone can play together. Also just speaking for myself but I find Love Letter a little too light and filler-ish.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Kamikaze Raider posted:

In addition to all of the previously mentioned, Spyfall is also a fun and quick, if imperfect, social/party game.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sushi Go is also pretty good at that role, and can play up to five.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Skull is fantastic in that setting and plays 6.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 28, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

An alternative to Skulls would be Welcome to the Dungeon. I like it better because you have some information, which is also the reason some people don't like it as much. Neither are bad though.

The Resistance / Avalon and One Night Ultimate Werewolf fill the portable traitor game niche.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

If you are into dumb pop culture stuff, Slash is pretty good for parties. It is Apples to Apples but with slash fiction. It even has an advanced mode where the judge includes a story prompt with their card and everyone plays their card face up then tells a story based on the prompt and their card. Good dumb fun.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is another great party game that plays in 10 minutes and can work with 10+ people.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If you have enough dice, Liar's Dice can technically hold quite a lot of people

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bohnanza might work although depending on your group's definition of light it might be too much.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
Thank you for the recommendations everybody!

The group is around 20 people and we'll break off into 2-3 tables. A typical set up for us would be something big and long like Caverna or a lighter wargame on one table, something in the middle like The Resistance or Mafia on the second table, and a primarily social table which flits between game-free loving around and Fluxx and Munchkin type stuff. The group isn't a gamer group, it's a community event primarily that a couple of gamers in the community run.

Slash looks like it'll go down a storm with the casual table. Love Letter and Codenames were already on my radar from research but Skulls, Coup, Welcome to the Dungeon and Sushi Go will be getting investigated.

DadJokeGenerator
Feb 15, 2015
Just a reminder to all Oz goons that the Mighty Ape boardgame price drops end on Saturday. Worth checking out

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sleeved and sorted Millenium Blades, working on sleeving more Battlecon stuff. I also think BattleCon just out grew my loot crate : (

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Judd Stackington posted:

If I have a crowd of friends who want to play games like Exploding Kitten or Fluxx, what should I bring for us to play instead? I was aware Exploding Kitten was trash and I can see why people rag on it but Fluxx is my choice out of our party game rotation.

I bring some games to my dodgeball group after party thing on Wednesdays, most of the people aren't familiar with what a lot of what modern games have to offer, and they typically have a pretty solid time with: Cash n Guns, Coup, Code names, & Camel Up. Plus, they're easy to teach to people who are sweaty and a little tipsy and they're quick.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Favorite 2 player game at the moment is tash kalar and probably will be for a long time. Agricola is also the poo poo and scales really well up to 5.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Favorite 2 player game at the moment is tash kalar and probably will be for a long time. Agricola is also the poo poo and scales really well up to 5.

TK is so hard I dunno how people play it*

*I've only played online and I am terrible at playing games online in general. But TK I feel would be impossible even with physical pieces.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
The thing I most appreciated about the physical version of TK, after learning how to play online, is simply being able to rotate the cards. It's such a small thing, but that makes it so much more playable for me compared to on BGA

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

Same. I've been playing it since it came out and TK is good poo poo. It gets better and better, especially once you reach the first threshold of competency that is recognizing the patterns for the legendary cards from memory.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Judd Stackington posted:

Thank you for the recommendations everybody!

The group is around 20 people and we'll break off into 2-3 tables. A typical set up for us would be something big and long like Caverna or a lighter wargame on one table, something in the middle like The Resistance or Mafia on the second table, and a primarily social table which flits between game-free loving around and Fluxx and Munchkin type stuff. The group isn't a gamer group, it's a community event primarily that a couple of gamers in the community run.

Slash looks like it'll go down a storm with the casual table. Love Letter and Codenames were already on my radar from research but Skulls, Coup, Welcome to the Dungeon and Sushi Go will be getting investigated.

Seconding Love Letter, Codenames, and Sushi Go, but if you've got 6-10 slash fans I feel you could get really creative with your party games.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone done 2 rooms and a boom? It looks interesting but I don't know how many people I should really be throwing at it, and whether or not it makes sense to divide a party into 2 for however long...

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone done 2 rooms and a boom? It looks interesting but I don't know how many people I should really be throwing at it, and whether or not it makes sense to divide a party into 2 for however long...

It can go over very well with the right people (which is kind of a non-endorsement, considering the same is true of pretty much any game, but...), and the dividing of people isn't really an issue. Only problem I have with it is that you have to ease people into it by using only a couple core roles to teach the game, at which point the game isn't very interesting, and might cause you to lose interest. If you try to put all the interesting roles in right away, you risk overloading people and making it too chaotic/confusing and also alienating people. I think it's something you have to start with a small core group who enjoys the social deduction/interaction genre (best number is probably the 11+ count where the game allows for Color Sharing), get to know stuff really well, and then add in a few new people to a group over time. Doesn't help with a one-shot party or opportunity much.

I ran two games of it on NYE this last year, each with 30+ players, and of those about half or more had never played. Basically all of the above is what happened.

Boz0r posted:

My go-to list of (strictly) 2 Player games are:

Hive
Hanabi
7 Wonders Duel
Biblios
Onitama (just released last week, highly recommend)
The Duke
Santorini (KS ending tonight, but will be at retail later this year)

Merauder fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 28, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

w00tmonger posted:

I've not played it, but according to the rules a regular game only takes 15 minutes. Less if you have 9 players or fewer, in which case you just skip the 5 and 4-minute rounds. If time is really pressing, I'm sure you could just, say, half the time for each phase. Ideally, most of the people there will want to play (or at least won't object or poo poo up the game) and can agree to spend 15 minutes playing a social game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The Narrator posted:

I've not played it, but according to the rules a regular game only takes 15 minutes. Less if you have 9 players or fewer, in which case you just skip the 5 and 4-minute rounds. If time is really pressing, I'm sure you could just, say, half the time for each phase. Ideally, most of the people there will want to play (or at least won't object or poo poo up the game) and can agree to spend 15 minutes playing a social game.

15 minutes is a bit of a misleading number though. Especially if you're playing with new people, the abstract nature of social deduction games is often tough to explain to new players, so I'd expect with a full group of new people that you're going to want 30+ minutes for the first attempt at the game. If you go for a second attempt it will go a little faster, but even if everyone knows what's what the 15min is technically still a bit inaccurate since that's the official round count for 5 rounds, but there's a brief period in between each round where you swap players between rooms that doesn't happen instantaneously, and usually adds 3-5min to the overall game time.

Expect to spend closer to 45-60min playing two games with new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

unpronounceable posted:

The thing I most appreciated about the physical version of TK, after learning how to play online, is simply being able to rotate the cards. It's such a small thing, but that makes it so much more playable for me compared to on BGA

OTOH, keeping track of the piece differential is annoying and BGA does it for you.