Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

Someone a few pages back said that the enemy progression in Demon Ruins was backwards -- you start fighting against the lethal Ghru and the flamebirthers and finish up fighting against the rats.

I think the actual intended path through Smouldering Lake is running up to the worm, realizing that the combination of the worm and the ballistae made it so that it's pretty much undoable, then exploring the rest of the lake. Eventually you'd stumble across the broken floor, drop through, and start Demon Ruins from there. Fight your way up through it, find the second bonfire, then start the boss from there.

But since the ballistae is so lethal it turns people off exploring I think many people just try to run past the worm and do the boss from there before doing anything else in that zone. It's what I did!

Oh, where I left off I stubbornly got the ballista to kill the worm for me on principle while dodging like mad.

Didn't work out so well against the crabs though, ow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you put resin on a simple or crystal weapon?

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Woozy posted:

Uhm. You don't need to climb all the way up the ladder. Double tap circle to jump off at any height you choose. You can also estus while on the ladder.

Are you serious

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Manikin Claws are surprisingly great. High bleed chance and the L1 costs less stamina than a single swing from most weapons.

Warden Twinblades are stitll better though

Antsylvania
Nov 5, 2010

It turns out you can apply a pine bundle after a parry!

But it adds about 60 damage to a riposte :saddowns:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'm pretty sure you can just run past the worm. Like theres a gap to the right of where he pops up thats just large enough to pass though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

There's a spot behind the worm where you can just chill while the ballista kills it for you

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I switched from an Uchi to a Washing Pole, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. No big difference in PvE (though the range and slightly higher damage output is nice), but it's absolutely brutal in PvP. The range just wrecks people.

The Rokstar posted:

People have trouble with Oceiros? I have literally only lost to him once in about 6-7 fights. Just stay behind him and he can't do poo poo.

This was my experience, as well. Spacing is huge in these games, and learning the right spacing for different bosses is key to beat them. Backing way off will trigger his charge, which gives people some trouble.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you stop the ballista, the worm doesn't really have all that much health either, me and a pal just shot it apart with our big manly ranged weaponry.

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009
I didn't fight the worm until I stopped the balista. The worm won't go on the land near the steps so you can just keep baiting it until it does a lightning attack, run back to land, repeat

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

This was my experience, as well. Spacing is huge in these games, and learning the right spacing for different bosses is key to beat them. Backing way off will trigger his charge, which gives people some trouble.

My choice of weapon is a greataxe so I have no choice but to stay on his body at all times, which meant I auto died the second he would decide to turn his body into a giant hitbox

The solution was to stop giving a poo poo, spam warcry and continually walk into him mashing r1

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im hosed up in the head and thought all the levels in the game were great

except smouldering lake, gently caress that lovely place

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ShadowMar posted:

except smouldering lake, gently caress that lovely place

gently caress Demon Ruins as an inclusion to Smouldering Lake and we got a deal.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I thought smouldering lake and demon ruins were super loving cool and I had fun exploring them

Sorry y'all

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Yardbomb posted:

gently caress Demon Ruins as an inclusion to Smouldering Lake and we got a deal.

i just condense demon ruins into smouldering lake, so yes, gently caress demon ruins too. don't bother fighting anything in there except tsorig basically.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ruggington posted:

I thought smouldering lake and demon ruins were super loving cool and I had fun exploring them

Sorry y'all

Thematically I loved them.

Enemy wise...gently caress the Ghru, especially the standy-jumpy ones, and the Fire-orb summoning demons.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

there's nothing wrong with demon ruins' level design or appearance really, it's just the enemies are so ridiculously unfun to fight that it ruined that area for me

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

My favorite part was farming the black knight greataxe by leading the black knight into the rats and watching them loving tear him apart

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The flame boys also annihilated him

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HnK416 posted:

How the actual gently caress are you supposed to fight the gaping crocodogs in that basement area???

Cast 3 chaos fire balls. It's pretty funny how easy they are for ranged.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The worm is pathetic. I spent the entire level anticipating my fight with it after turning off the balista. Then I discover that it is a terribly programmed enemy that can't hit you when you stand right next to it and poke it to death :geno:

It feels like they had this cool idea for a boss but didn't have enough time to make it work so they just shoved it into that level half done.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you can split the Bloodborne Dog Bros they're also pretty easy for giant weapon Str builds because you can go ham when there's an opening and they stagger and become open to a riposte, like some of the other big monster guys in the game. This happened to the one on the bridge with my gimmick Berserk Greatsword guy and surprised the poo poo out of me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Can you put resin on a simple or crystal weapon?

No. You can only buff weapons that do pure physical damage.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

HnK416 posted:

How the actual gently caress are you supposed to fight the gaping crocodogs in that basement area???

You can visceral attack / riposte them by hitting them directly in the face, katana, great sword and straight sword overhead 2hr1s do a really good job. Only takes 2 hits to set up with most of the weapons I tried with, and as soon as one's dead you've won basically.

Or you can be boring and fight them one at a time but eh

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

You can visceral attack / riposte them by hitting them directly in the face, katana, great sword and straight sword overhead 2hr1s do a really good job. Only takes 2 hits to set up with most of the weapons I tried with, and as soon as one's dead you've won basically.

Or you can be boring and fight them one at a time but eh

Speaking of, what am I doing wrong with giant crabs there? I can knock them down but then I don't get to do a fancy canned animation attack. Or can you not Visceral giant crabs, just knock em down for a bit?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What does equip load do? It seems to make me fatroll at 75% but other than that not doesn't have as much of an effect as in DS1.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do dried fingers make you count as a group if you are solo? I got rarely invaded in my first game but lately I've been using the dried fingers and getting invaded lots. I was bored as hell with ng+ until I started using it and getting invaded. To make it even faster I started equipping the way of the blue thingy and as soon as a blue is summoned, entire armies start gating in. Lots of great fun.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

il serpente cosmico posted:

I switched from an Uchi to a Washing Pole, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. No big difference in PvE (though the range and slightly higher damage output is nice), but it's absolutely brutal in PvP. The range just wrecks people.

Yeah, rule #1 of Souls game bosses seems to be that the safest place to be is right up in their grill. Generally speaking, the further away from a boss you get the more danger you're putting yourself in. There's exceptions to that of course, but not as many as you'd think.

Also I'm really hoping that this patch coming out today helps with the Farron/Darkmoon poo poo. I'm going mad trying to get summoned for those drat covenants.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

What does equip load do? It seems to make me fatroll at 75% but other than that not doesn't have as much of an effect as in DS1.

Fat roll over 70, fast roll under 30, normal roll in between. No difference in iframes between fast and normal, just a quicker animation. Not much different from how it was in DS1, except that the fast roll is less of an improvement.

DS2 was the only one where the roll was heavily affected by different levels of equip load.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Ask me about spending 10 minutes plinking the Dancer to death with a +3 crossbow, all so I have a slightly better bonfire for futile refined gem farming :regd09:

How did you deal with the fact that all her gapclosers are horrible deathtraps with extremely unpredictable hitboxes?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I just booted up Bloodborne after playing through most of DS3 on PC, and holy poo poo, what a terrible framerate. I didn't mind it at the time, but it'd be really hard to play through it again at this point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah, rule #1 of Souls game bosses seems to be that the safest place to be is right up in their grill. Generally speaking, the further away from a boss you get the more danger you're putting yourself in. There's exceptions to that of course, but not as many as you'd think.

Also I'm really hoping that this patch coming out today helps with the Farron/Darkmoon poo poo. I'm going mad trying to get summoned for those drat covenants.

Pretty much every boss is basically all about footsies. Figuring out where you can stand to prevent the enemy from doing its worst moves, and then keeping yourself there as much as possible is 90% of the gameplay.

It's pretty rare for footsies range to be far away, but it happens. Generally it's bosses who are dudes with swords--Artorias, Gwyn, Pursuer, etc.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Am I the only one who thinks DS1 Lost Izalith, despite its shortcomings and questionable enemy placements, was a lot more interesting, varied and creative compared to Smoldering Lake? Aside from that broken skybox and the bed of chaos, it was still a bigger zone with more nooks and crannies to explore. I was quite surprised to see just how poor Smoldering Lake is after seeing all the complaints about Lost Izalith, I thought FROM would have put in considerably more effort this time around. Not just that, but LI felt like a logical place to stumble upon since you were always going down into the earth. SL is just another room in a catacomb and while it's not as nonsensical as that elevator in Dark Souls 2, it's still a jarring transition.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The worm is pathetic. I spent the entire level anticipating my fight with it after turning off the balista. Then I discover that it is a terribly programmed enemy that can't hit you when you stand right next to it and poke it to death :geno:

It feels like they had this cool idea for a boss but didn't have enough time to make it work so they just shoved it into that level half done.

if you touch it while it's moving, it'll knock you down and do damage tho. really you should just think of it like the hydras from dark souls 1: cool looking and intimidating at first glance, but in practice pretty easy and very boring to actually fight

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

How did you deal with the fact that all her gapclosers are horrible deathtraps with extremely unpredictable hitboxes?

Well I partially lied; in phase 1 I beat her up with my barbed sword. Once you get past the first phase though, she loses her only good gap closer in the form of the sprint slash. The ones she picks up in phase 2 are garbage. The jumping slash is really easy to dodge. Her spin to win is negated by just standing behind a pillar. The most dangerous move she has is the double lunge, which can phase through the pillars. Even that is easy to avoid if you remain alert though, and it will only kill you if both swords connect (or your vigor is poo poo). You have enough time to dodge after the first one hits you so its not an instant kill.

Fighting her in melee is still hard in phase 2 but you can kite her for ages easily, so if you have the patience for it you can bring her down with enough ranged spam.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Lore question re: Lost Izalith vs Smoldering Lake. I don't recall any tree pillars in Lost Izalith. Is Smoldering Lake supposed to be a mashup of Ash Lake and Lost Izalith?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you stand at a certain distance from it, it always uses its big laser beam attack. Except for some reason it can only fire it in one direction? So if you stand at just the right distance only behind it, it'll shoot the laser off into nowhere and then you can run up, hit it, then back off back to laser distance and get it stuck in an AI loop where it can never do anything to you at all because it's so hideously programmed.

What a ridiculous monster.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Just got through the game's obligatory poison swamp. I like this one a hell of a lot more than previous. There's a kind of atmosphere here that's just really solidly done, and the mechanic for proceeding to the next area contributes greatly, showing those fiery towers above the murk.

Plus it's got the Jersey Devil as the signature enemy, which is sure a hell of a thing. :stare:

Like altogether, it's impressive how much seems to be actively going on in each place you visit. Unlike prior Dark Souls where you're arriving on the scene after most of the poo poo has gone down, you're right in the thick of the mayhem this time.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I just found the Carthus Sword and I'm thinking about using it, but I don't have 15 Strength. People were saying that the scaling still got borked if you two-handed a weapon you can't wield in one hand, did that turn out to be true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I partially lied; in phase 1 I beat her up with my barbed sword. Once you get past the first phase though, she loses her only good gap closer in the form of the sprint slash. The ones she picks up in phase 2 are garbage. The jumping slash is really easy to dodge. Her spin to win is negated by just standing behind a pillar. The most dangerous move she has is the double lunge, which can phase through the pillars. Even that is easy to avoid if you remain alert though, and it will only kill you if both swords connect (or your vigor is poo poo). You have enough time to dodge after the first one hits you so its not an instant kill.

Fighting her in melee is still hard in phase 2 but you can kite her for ages easily, so if you have the patience for it you can bring her down with enough ranged spam.

Well when I fought her early I had base assassin vigor so I was onehit by all her gapclosers. I got tired or failing to dodge the second hit of her jump and the fire sword in her giant stand-up spin thing so I just stood behind her butt to make her use moves I could actually dodge.

I didn't even consider using a crossbow, though, that could very easily be much much easier.