Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Z3n posted:

Biggest issue with higher mileage bikes is if the original owner was a squid who didn't know how to shift gears, transmissions usually last around 40k. Look for any hopping out of gear or other bullshit. Also, you're gonna wanna tear it apart and lube all the swingarm bearings/etc.

That's my biggest worry with the monster and it just hit 33k. But at the same time it would probably teach me a lot to fix it so can't be all bad??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

abigserve posted:

That's my biggest worry with the monster and it just hit 33k. But at the same time it would probably teach me a lot to fix it so can't be all bad??

If you shift properly (ie, committing to the shift, not mismatching revs or trying to do clutchless shifting but failing to do it correctly), transmissions should easily make it the lifespan of the engine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

compton rear end terry posted:

There's a 2001 zrx1200 with 33k miles that's been on Craigslist for 3 weeks now for $2400. Thinking about offering him 2k cash and seeing what happens.

I know the bike is generally well liked, any problem spots to check out, or any concern over the miles?

Link?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Slavvy posted:

Unless it's black, it really isn't. A lot of fluid comes out of the bottle a really, really dark liver failure yellow.

If the person wheelies the head bearings will be shattered but if it's an old man (it's always an old man) they'll probably be ok along with all that other stuff, but that's stuff you'd look at on any bike.

Yeah, black as coffee like 90% of used vehicles in the US. It is a super good indicator for cheapo vehicles in my experience.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

Yeah, black as coffee like 90% of used vehicles in the US. It is a super good indicator for cheapo vehicles in my experience.

yuuup.
I've never owned a car/bike with clear brake fluid at purchase. (58 cars, 7 bikes, 2 buses)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

yuuup.
I've never owned a car/bike with clear brake fluid at purchase. (58 cars, 7 bikes, 2 buses)

:psyduck:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FINALLY, someone I can point to when people give me poo poo about the mere nine cars and one bike I've owned.

"See, I'm not crazy, HE'S crazy!"

I'm only 27, there's time yet :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was meaning in reference to the brake fluid. I've owned some devastatingly lovely vehicles (well into the dozens) but only like three or four have had black fluid.

I take it nobody changes that poo poo even when the car/bike is relatively new over there?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
I have personally never heard of anyone ever changing brake fluid unless system components need replaced and there's no choice. The one time I have come across a vehicle without black brake fluid it was an absolute cherry and had maintenance done to schedule. Every other car was a total disaster with deferred maintenance. With bikes it's fairly obvious to check and with dark fluid you can assume poo poo like valves were never touched.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
Continuing my bike search and actually looking at new stuff. Does anybody have any experience/opinions on the new Suzuki GSX-S1000? That's looking like a decent sized bike for me, and looks to be about 100 lbs lighter than a Bandit/Blackbird/K-bike. It would cost more than my last 4 bikes combined, but it looks pretty sweet.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

I'm only 27, there's time yet :v:

Me too. :v:

Nobody fucks with brakes. that noise? eh just turn the radio up louder. that mushy pedal? eh whatever. the 19 warning lights and the full audi that just happened? oh gently caress.
also in the deserty areas brakefluid tends to hold out a little better than the states with seasons.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
So with the FZ07 gone and me with 2 months of recovery, it's time to start thinking of a replacement.

I'd like better distance capability and two-up comfort for weekend rides to the cottage , but still something I can haul rear end on when she's not on the back and also commute with daily.

A VFR800 seems to check those boxes, and I really like the new generation.

Other requirements: an engine that doesn't suck (no 180 or 360 deg ptwins), ABS brakes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

VERTiG0 posted:

So with the FZ07 gone and me with 2 months of recovery, it's time to start thinking of a replacement.

I'd like better distance capability and two-up comfort for weekend rides to the cottage , but still something I can haul rear end on when she's not on the back and also commute with daily.

Other requirements: an engine that doesn't suck (no 180 or 360 deg ptwins), ABS brakes.

FJ-09?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

VERTiG0 posted:

Find a bike with an optional cow catcher this time?

What was the damage to the FZ07?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Me too. :v:

Nobody fucks with brakes. that noise? eh just turn the radio up louder. that mushy pedal? eh whatever. the 19 warning lights and the full audi that just happened? oh gently caress.
also in the deserty areas brakefluid tends to hold out a little better than the states with seasons.

So that's the downside to having bikes that cost a third of what they do here...

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Not sure if I wanna go full dadbike yet. I met a 70 year old FJ09 rider a few weeks ago.

Chichevache posted:

What was the damage to the FZ07?

Bunch of normal cosmetic poo poo, forks bent all to hell (the right turn is permanent) and the shop said a frame post is broken.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

VERTiG0 posted:

Not sure if I wanna go full dadbike yet. I met a 70 year old FJ09 rider a few weeks ago.

I think the VFR800 is squarely in DadBike territory

CB1100? CB1000r?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

A MIRACLE posted:

CB1100? CB1000r?

Not too keen on the retro CB1100 look, and the CB1000R doesn't look very good for two-up.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Bunch of normal cosmetic poo poo, forks bent all to hell (the right turn is permanent) and the shop said a frame post is broken.

Not gunna lie, thought it was a grom.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
The headlight does look similar from that angle.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mungtor posted:

Continuing my bike search and actually looking at new stuff. Does anybody have any experience/opinions on the new Suzuki GSX-S1000? That's looking like a decent sized bike for me, and looks to be about 100 lbs lighter than a Bandit/Blackbird/K-bike. It would cost more than my last 4 bikes combined, but it looks pretty sweet.

Depends what you're comparing it to. Put up against the ones you've mentioned, which are a good two or three generations old at this point, it absolutely destroys them.

Put it next to the current generation of nakeds... it gets a bit harder. Stacked against the smaller opposition obviously it's got a massive power advantage, and it's certainly prettier and cheaper than the CB and Z, but at the same time the smaller bikes really are a lot cheaper and most of them come with more in the way of nice touches like RBW. The GSX gives you exactly one electronic thing to play wih, you can turn the TC on and off. Mind you the engine is really, really flexible so it doesn't really need lots of different throttle modes, you can just use the gear selector to give it the responsiveness it needs.

None of these things make it a *bad* bike and if you're happy with it, then go for it. The only thing to bear in mind is that they aren't fantastically put together. By Suzuki standards the fit and finish is a lot better than the past, but still, there's always a niggle at the back of your mind about whether or not you'll need to replace all the bolts as a service item.

On the good side though, there's that engine - the first inline 4 I've ever genuinely enjoyed riding. The handling is really nice at sane speeds too - it could be better, but unless you're doing track days it's going to completely suit your needs. It also feels really really light - I mean it *is* light, but it feels even lighter, like more like one of the 750ish nakeds.

I'll give you an idea how impressed I was - over the course of last year I tried just about every naked bike on the market, everything from Royal Enfield to MV Agusta, and at the end it was a really close-run thing between the GSXS and the Monster, and the Monster just about scraped it because I have to be a beautiful and unique snowflake.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VERTiG0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDqs0bQ6Ew

To be a dadbike is not in the motorcycle, but in the throttle hand of the rider.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

:psyduck: I change my brake fluid once a year every spring. Why the gently caress would you not? It costs like $20 and 10 minutes of your day.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Digital_Jesus posted:

:psyduck: I change my brake fluid once a year every spring. Why the gently caress would you not? It costs like $20 and 10 minutes of your day.

Why did the PO of my car do a butcher job on the factory harness in order to bypass the factory amp instead of just buying a $15 harness?

Why did the PO of my bike carve up the airbox, leaving holes past the filter, so he could cram a slightly larger battery?

Why does every used car I have had have ball joints held together by rust and hope?

Why did the PO of my old fiero put in a red pilot "racing wheel" in a brown interior?

Why is it so hard to at least matching tires on opposite wheels?

Why doesn't anyone ever use the parking brake, ensuring that it will not be functional 10 years down the road?

Why did the PO put clip ons on my standard?

Why did the PO put a clip master link on a 530 chain? Where did he even get a clip master link for a 530 chain?

Why did the PO use pliers to turn a chain adjustment bolt rounding off the head and losing the retainer clip?

Why did the PO put a $50 K&N filter on my bike as well as butcher the exhaust baffles without a tune?

Why did the PO remove the center stand from my bike?

Why did the PO install a complicated system of pulleys and cables to move vent flaps in my 850 instead of replacing the $15 motors?

Why did the PO use household cable twists instead of butt splices?

Why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Now inhale.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
I can't I am choking on all the dust in my loving airbox

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The VFR800 may be a dadbike but it's an awesome dadbike. Get some panniers and a top case and dadbike the gently caress out of it and then take them back off and ZOOM

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Thanks for that. All of my bikes to this point have been sub-$2500 ones that need a little work and all of them have been 15+ years old. I have to try to find a local Suzuki dealer that has a GSX and will let me test ride one. While they've been out across the pond for a year or so, they are a new-for-2016 model here in the US and the 2 dealers I have easy access to don't seem to have any yet.

And, to be completely honest, I'm looking at the GSX-S1000F because I am an old person and still think that fairings are cool. :) I know there's no other difference and will ride a naked one given the opportunity, but the faired model in red/black just makes me all :fap:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Dad bike is a pejorative term only used by those who have no experience actually riding what are properly called 'wheelie couches'. :eng101:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

HotCanadianChick posted:

Dad bike is a pejorative term only used by those who have no experience actually riding what are properly called 'wheelie couches'. :eng101:

If a VFR800 is a dadbike, I hope to soon own a dadbike.

That is, if I don't change my mind 45 times in the next 2 months :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I rode a VFR800X the other day.

Pretty poo poo.

That being said the only good part was the engine so I imagine if you put that engine into a semi-sporty motorcycle you would get a fan favourite loved by generations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Only guy I've known personally who rides a VFR800 is 59 years old and likes it because it's so comfortable for long rides.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

Only guy I've known personally who rides a VFR800 is 59 years old and likes it because it's so comfortable for long rides.

There's nothing not to like about the VFR800.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Except the maintenance.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I'm looking for a larger-displacement naked bike for commuting and general hoonage, and I took a test ride today on the BMW S1000R and the Triumph Speed Triple S (no R model available at dealer yet).

BMW cons: the rear brake lever is so far under the bike you have to twist your right foot way in, the turn signal switch is too high, so I kept hitting the horn instead of the signal (possibly fixable by rotating the cluster on the bar). The clutch lever is a mile out from the bar and not adjustable.
BMW pros: gobs of smooth power in a band so wide I could stay in third all week, quickshift is neat but a little gimmicky, super neat dynamic suspension switching, cruise control, and the braking was unreal.

Speed Triple cons: Brakes nowhere near as effective as the BMW,, technically down on power (140hp) compared to BMW (160hp)
Speed Triple pros: Torque had me literally cackling in 1st-3rd gear, sounds pretty good with stock can, more upright and comfortable with my 5'7" frame than the BMW, stupid fun

The BMW is the technically better bike in almost every area, but I keep thinking about riding the Triumph again, so that's my cue that the Speed Triple is the right choice out of those two. I don't think it's gonna be possible to get the Triumph's brakes on par with the BMW, but I'll just have to live with that.

Ducati of Austin has a demo day tomorrow, so I'm going to go check out the Monster 1200 to compare, but the service costs are pretty frightening (they quoted ~$1900 for the 1800 mile service). I think the KTM Superduke R is the only other bike in this class I should ride, right? Anyone have any of these bikes and have more info than 25 minute test rides gave me?

Also the Ducati dealer had a MV Agusta F4 on the lot and that bike is still sex.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Have you checked out a tuono yet? Af1 is in your area and should have a few in stock.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

A MIRACLE posted:

CB1100? CB1000r?

As an owner of two, and a fannypack connoisseur, I have to agree.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

are you only looking at euro bikes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

predictive posted:

I'm looking for a larger-displacement naked bike for commuting and general hoonage, and I took a test ride today on the BMW S1000R and the Triumph Speed Triple S (no R model available at dealer yet).

BMW cons: the rear brake lever is so far under the bike you have to twist your right foot way in, the turn signal switch is too high, so I kept hitting the horn instead of the signal (possibly fixable by rotating the cluster on the bar). The clutch lever is a mile out from the bar and not adjustable.
BMW pros: gobs of smooth power in a band so wide I could stay in third all week, quickshift is neat but a little gimmicky, super neat dynamic suspension switching, cruise control, and the braking was unreal.

Speed Triple cons: Brakes nowhere near as effective as the BMW,, technically down on power (140hp) compared to BMW (160hp)
Speed Triple pros: Torque had me literally cackling in 1st-3rd gear, sounds pretty good with stock can, more upright and comfortable with my 5'7" frame than the BMW, stupid fun

The BMW is the technically better bike in almost every area, but I keep thinking about riding the Triumph again, so that's my cue that the Speed Triple is the right choice out of those two. I don't think it's gonna be possible to get the Triumph's brakes on par with the BMW, but I'll just have to live with that.

Ducati of Austin has a demo day tomorrow, so I'm going to go check out the Monster 1200 to compare, but the service costs are pretty frightening (they quoted ~$1900 for the 1800 mile service). I think the KTM Superduke R is the only other bike in this class I should ride, right? Anyone have any of these bikes and have more info than 25 minute test rides gave me?

Also the Ducati dealer had a MV Agusta F4 on the lot and that bike is still sex.

Monster 1200 is unlikely to be comparable. Definitely ride the 1290 SuperDuke. Also give a run at the Tuono V4. MT-10 fits the use case as well, but we're not gonna get that in the states :(
You can get the Speed Triple's brakes on par with the S1000R with a Brembo RCS master cylinder. If you really wanna go crazy, add on top of that some M50 Brembo Calipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

A MIRACLE posted:

are you only looking at euro bikes?

No, I don't have a real preference for country of origin or marque. For uninteresting reasons a bike will be my primary mode of transport (again) for the next 18-24 months, and this time round I've decided practicality is not my primary concern (you can do amazing things with a tailbag and sufficient will). I care most about buying a bike that makes me giggle when I ride it, and maybe scares me a little bit. The big naked bikes seem to hit this note for me.

Z3n posted:

Monster 1200 is unlikely to be comparable. Definitely ride the 1290 SuperDuke. Also give a run at the Tuono V4. MT-10 fits the use case as well, but we're not gonna get that in the states :(
You can get the Speed Triple's brakes on par with the S1000R with a Brembo RCS master cylinder. If you really wanna go crazy, add on top of that some M50 Brembo Calipers.

Do you really think $300 would get the Triumph that close in braking power? If it were that easy I'd almost say I'm ready to go buy one now. I'll find some time to ride a SuperDuke and Tuono (assuming I can find one to ride) this week. Why is the Monster not comparable (particularly since it's at the top of the price range)? Is it likely if I buy a Ducati or Aprilia that they'll break as often as my E39 BMW did and make my life sadder, or is that mostly Italian bike apocrypha?