Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I believe in the first half of the fight the arrows originate from above the boss and you can just hide behind a pillar. In the second half they fire downward and follow you around the room so you have to just run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

StrangeAeon posted:

Oh my god Aldrich needs to die. Am I doing something wrong, or are his attack patterns kind of... unpredictable?

Sometimes he opens with the homing crystals, other times it's the giant laser, one time he opened with arrows. And in the last bout I had, his arrow rain stayed directly on top of him before--eventually--taking its intended path across the arena.

There's got to be something I can do to tilt the odds a bit. Is it fire? Blob things are usually weak to fire.
I was having bad trouble with him too because all he'd do is spam the arrow rain and then the scythe wave. Helpful goons told me to stay on his rear end (literally) and wail away on his butt. Worked like a charm.

They also need to do something about muling. I'm invading in the swamp for shackles and 9/10 people have had end game gear. I'm already going 2/3 vs 1 it'd be nice to not have to deal with a bunch of fucksticks wearing Havel's and poking me with Ricard's at level 25 :mad:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

Poise. No effect, but fond memories comfort players.

:perfect:

No but really I hope they do something with it. There's got to be a happy medium between DS1 and DS3 where poise is useful but not annoying.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So did the patch nerf magic to hell?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Poise. No effect, but fond memories comfort players.

Flawless :darksouls:

Also, this patch is giving me flashbacks of the DS3 launch:

Any tips?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

So did the patch nerf magic to hell?

they didn't need a patch to nerf magic this time :tem:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh god, I just found a chest that has three notes in front of it that just say "Treasure ahead" and that means there's a 98% chance it's a mimic, right?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

What are you playing on? I'm sitting by the Halfway Fortress bonfire right now and there are summon signs everywhere.

PC, but i'm really early on my first playthrough and just killed Vordt. Maybe i'm underlevelled and that's why i'm not seeing signs?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

UberJew posted:

they didn't need a patch to nerf magic this time :tem:

but they did anyway lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

StrangeAeon posted:

Oh my god Aldrich needs to die. Am I doing something wrong, or are his attack patterns kind of... unpredictable?

Sometimes he opens with the homing crystals, other times it's the giant laser, one time he opened with arrows. And in the last bout I had, his arrow rain stayed directly on top of him before--eventually--taking its intended path across the arena.

There's got to be something I can do to tilt the odds a bit. Is it fire? Blob things are usually weak to fire.

He is, indeed, weak to fire. When I beat him, using Carthus Flame Arc and a fast sword helped a lot.

With the arrows, you really just have to sprint away from them. Everything else isn't too tough to dodge.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
So with the last vestige of poise maybe doing anything at all completely evaporated, why is FROM trying to balance weapon damage etc, when something so game changing as poise could just as well render all of that balancing irrelevant?

Seriously? Twinblades maybe sort of technically performing a little better than expected? Increasing stamina cost? Fine, but that is in an environment where ANY hit, against ANY player is going to stagger and more often than not lead into combos. IF they ever re-enable poise (however the hell it is intended to work) they'll have to go back on some of those changes by virtue of it just not being safe to throw out as many careless attacks - the example of twinblade stamina cost would hit double.

Something really bizarre is going on - like they know about it, but don't want to just re-enable the thing because they couldn't get it balanced, but patching the stat out of character sheets is too much trouble. Alright, cool, but dammit FROM, at least release a statement if it's supposed to be non-existent.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
Really happy I got one session of totally trivialising Irityll with GCFO before the nerf that is apparently in this patch.

I really, really wish From would learn how to put together a decent set of patch notes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

:perfect:

No but really I hope they do something with it. There's got to be a happy medium between DS1 and DS3 where poise is useful but not annoying.

How did poise work in DS2? I didn't wear enough heavy armor or PvP enough in it to really learn the differences, but I've heard people say it was just fine.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Man the early areas of this game is dead as gently caress

I guess that's not too surprising since the game has been out for a while but I expected at least a couple summon signs but I haven't seen hide nor hair of anything.

What? I'm currently on a new char and there is summon signs everywhere. And it takes me 30sec max to get summoned for anything after putting down my sign

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

How did poise work in DS2? I didn't wear enough heavy armor or PvP enough in it to really learn the differences, but I've heard people say it was just fine.

It worked similarly to DS1, but with a few differences. Notably, Poise breakpoints were much higher in general, and the regeneration rate was extremely slow. It was more along the lines of "every X hits, you are staggered, regardless of how far apart those hits are" than DS1's "you can be hit X number of times within Y period without being staggered."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Kinda like ds1 but way less effective. It was pretty balanced.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

Kinda like ds1 but way less effective. It was pretty balanced.

Again, as with flat damage reduction for elemental damage, I'm just blown away at the fact that they more-or-less pretended that DS2 didn't exist when developing this game mechanically and made the same loving goofy design errors as in DS1.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If they could somehow balance old-school poise around damage with a small hit multiplayer or something that'd be rad. So a fume ultra great, which does a ton of damage upfront would probably stagger most people, but you can also hit someone like 4 or 5 times with daggers in a short time period and that would also work.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

He is, indeed, weak to fire. When I beat him, using Carthus Flame Arc and a fast sword helped a lot.

With the arrows, you really just have to sprint away from them. Everything else isn't too tough to dodge.

you can also be a huge jerk and lay a fire arrow into its face while its charging up its onslaught of 10,000 arrows

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Poise in one sense worked like it did in DS1. You had a Poise "status" and when that status filled, the hit that triggered the effect would stagger. The actual poise attribute, just increased your poise 'meter' the same as poison/bleed resist. Hence the breakpoints, where I believe players had 0 natural poise.

The only major difference was that it was technically only applicable during actions, so you would only really notice it when you were swinging a weapon. A few other differences being heavier weapons gave you a poise def buff, reducing incoming poise damage by 50%, making it ideal to trade so you would be less prone to poise breaks. Also, the poise 'status' would regenerate impossibly slowly, so even over the course of an entire dungeon it was basically as if you would never recover from stacked poise damage, eventually being staggered one way or the other. If you were in a neutral stance you would not only suffer the poise damage, but you would still be staggered, even if the hit didn't actually trip the status, although you could roll out of the hit - this was to mostly prevent poise backstab fishing. For all intents and purposes, it worked fine, baring a little bit of balance hickups here and there.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Getting an Xbox controller tomorrow :buddy:

I'll have to relearn how to control the game but It'll probably be better

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

but they did anyway lol

haha i didn't even know because i haven't used magic at all yet (except lightning blade)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I believe they should make poise do something, and balance other stuff as well, and I imagine they'll do both eventually.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should have poise correlate to move/rolling speed so someone heavier can tank hits but cant move fast.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I believe in From

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

They should have poise correlate to move/rolling speed so someone heavier can tank hits but cant move fast.

This is an insanely bad idea. You may leave.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

UberJew posted:

haha i didn't even know because i haven't used magic at all yet (except lightning blade)

I just use chameleon lol

net cafe scandal posted:

I believe they should make poise do something, and balance other stuff as well, and I imagine they'll do both eventually.

same except the last part

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Getting an Xbox controller tomorrow :buddy:

I'll have to relearn how to control the game but It'll probably be better

I salute you, there is zero chance I could play this with KBM.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Vermain posted:

Again, as with flat damage reduction for elemental damage, I'm just blown away at the fact that they more-or-less pretended that DS2 didn't exist when developing this game mechanically and made the same loving goofy design errors as in DS1.

Agreed. There was so many improvements in DS2 that they have just ignored. It really feels like a regression in some parts. Not tha DS2 was perfect, soul memory was terrible and the new lvl + weapon lvl system is far better.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I believe in the first half of the fight the arrows originate from above the boss and you can just hide behind a pillar. In the second half they fire downward and follow you around the room so you have to just run.

Wait.

Are you telling me that the mechanics of his attack change mid-fight?

Not that his patterns change, or that he uses new attacks-- but that the attack itself shifts gears?

FromSoft, you assholes.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm starting to think that Poise isn't turned on. There were some clues, but obviously we can't be sure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another effect of the "poise doesn't affect staggering in roll recovery frames but equip load does" discovery: now there's even less reason to stay below 69% equip load. Sure, you get more horizontal movement on your roll the lower you go, but your roll is probably better in a practical sense with higher equip load because you won't get staggered if you slightly mistime it.

Add to this some math from Reddit where someone found out that increasing your Vigor instead of increasing your Vitality to wear heavier armor is dramatically better for survivability and you wonder why heavy armor exists at all. https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gu0be/psa_it_is_better_to_have_more_health_than_more/

Let's hear it for Vitality, the worst stat since Resistance :golfclap:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

same except the last part
I actually think net cafe scandal is correct. The question is when.

Remember Dark Wood Grain Ring? Didn't get fixed until the DLC? Remember 60fps weapon durability? Didn't get "fixed" until Scholar of the First motherfucking Sin.

So I'm sure Poise will be re-enabled at one point. I put ten credibility bux (worthless) on it happening after the DLCs are released.

e:until then, estoc all day

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I just wanted to say that I killed Crystal Sage last night on my baby sorcerer with only spells. :argh: And it was great to show who was top wizard.
Downside being that it broke my streak of killing all bosses on the first shot and also I died like 7 times trying to be cool and still wear my dusk crown while fighting it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Tries to get hit, can't, got too gud

I appreciated that the best ending requires you to suck at least a little bit so you can die enough.

What's up with Irinia's questline btw? What does her becoming a fire keeper do? Any interesting conversations? I kind of forgot about her in my last run.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Fashion Souls with iron leggings, firekeeper robe and mirrah chain. It seems Knight Solaire wore lady stockings.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

New Concept Hole posted:

I'm starting to think that Poise isn't turned on. There were some clues, but obviously we can't be sure.

Gonna have to do some looking into this.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Donnerberg posted:

Fashion Souls with iron leggings, firekeeper robe and mirrah chain. It seems Knight Solaire wore lady stockings.

approve
much better than the raggedy garbage knights that get posted here sometimes as "fashion"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Melanion posted:

I salute you, there is zero chance I could play this with KBM.

Conversely, I'm always amazed that people can play this game with a controller. I've tried going through with a wired XBox 360 controller, and while it's more comfortable in certain respects, fast weapon/item/spell switching is a nightmare, and not being able to rotate the camera while sprinting (again, FromSoft: left stick click - look it up!) without contorting my hand into a weird pose drove me back to the comforting embrace of KBM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just got matched up against a dude in the level 55 range who:

-was wearing full smough and wielding the FUGS but not fatrolling
-could swing the fugs 6 times in one combo
-only needed three of those to connect to kill me
-had access to fire frisbee and black snake
-STILL estus'd in the middle of our duel