Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

poparena posted:

I normally wouldn't consider Jon Bois a "video reviewer," but he just did a really funny breakdown of death in the series "24."

I'm still bummed we lost Breaking Madden (the videos anyway), but Pretty Good is a worthy altar upon which to sacrifice it, so I'm okay. I'd also recommend watching "The Dumbest Boy Alive" from that same series. It is a Masters dissertation level examination of the stupidest intent argument ever and it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm sad his video on Stanislav Petrov seems to be gone from youtube, it's my favorite next to the Wondrous Life of Lonnie Smith

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Alaois posted:

the Wondrous Life of Lonnie Smith

I just watched it based on your post. I feel like this could make a really good stylistic black comedy movie. Jon Bois does good work

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MrSlam posted:

I just watched it based on your post. I feel like this could make a really good stylistic black comedy movie. Jon Bois does good work

lonnie smith's career is basically a coen brothers movie

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I was actually going to suggest the Coen Brothers direct it! You and me, Alaois. We're like brothers. But closer.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Good news, Brad resolved his copyright strike.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm still bummed we lost Breaking Madden (the videos anyway)

Aw man, really? those articles were some of the funniest things I've ever read.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Bad news, Todd got one

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Remember when google was with the good guys in fighting hollywood back in the PROTECT IP days? Those days are over. gently caress google.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sage has Suave review Eiken.
I'm getting flashbacks to the time Sage tried torturing JO with schlock anime.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Arcsquad12 posted:

With this very one, in fact.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

poparena posted:

I normally wouldn't consider Jon Bois a "video reviewer," but he just did a really funny breakdown of death in the series "24."

I read that too quickly and thought for a moment that Joe Bob did a breakdown of death in 24.

Which I would also like to see.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm still bummed we lost Breaking Madden (the videos anyway),

I skimmed a few articles and it looks like the videos are still intact.
Edit: Oh I didn't quite catch that. Thought you meant lost in the context if they got killed by DMCA or whatever rather than just no new ones.

On an unrelated note, back to Jim Sterling. Guess I was kinda wrong in my guess about who gets money if your video is claimed. Looks like if monetizing is forbidden by a holder than nobody gets to make dosh off of it.
http://kotaku.com/game-critic-uses-brilliant-workaround-for-youtubes-copy-1773452452

Tracula fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 28, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Urgh, I got a full body cringe from this review. Not with the review itself but the subject matter isn't even an entertaining kind of shlock. You can have good shlock but Eiken is loving gross and revolves around tits. There isn't even any clever jokes or innuendo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

Urgh, I got a full body cringe from this review. Not with the review itself but the subject matter isn't even an entertaining kind of shlock. You can have good shlock but Eiken is loving gross and revolves around tits. There isn't even any clever jokes or innuendo

At least he'll be reviewing some good anime next time. He's doing another Adult Swim month.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Nostalgia Critic has a new editorial video: When Are Critics Wrong?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

:can: Hell Mode: Don't talk about the gameshow, the studio, Channel Awesome management, video quality, Bart's Nightmare Let's Play, or Demo Reel

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The worst thing Doug ever did was his review of The Cell.

That said

The weather beaten trail wound ahead into the dust racked climes of the baren land which dominates large portions of the Norgolian empire. Age worn hoof prints smothered by the sifting sands of time shone dully against the dust splattered crust of earth. The tireless sun cast its parching rays of incandescense from overhead, half way through its daily revolution. Small rodents scampered about, occupying themselves in the daily accomplishments of their dismal lives. Dust sprayed over three heaving mounts in blinding clouds, while they bore the burdonsome cargoes of their struggling overseers.

"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

A sweeping blade of flashing steel riveted from the massive barbarians hide enameled shield as his rippling right arm thrust forth, sending a steel shod blade to the hilt into the soldiers vital organs. The disemboweled mercenary crumpled from his saddle and sank to the clouded sward, sprinkling the parched dust with crimson droplets of escaping life fluid.

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 28, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The worst thing Doug ever did was his review of Hocus Pocus.

ftfy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The worst thing Doug ever did was review

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MrSlam posted:

:can: Hell Mode: Don't talk about the gameshow, the studio, Channel Awesome management, video quality, Bart's Nightmare Let's Play, or Demo Reel

Is Melvin, Brother of the Joker still fair game?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

escaping life fluid.

I yearn for an RPG or a video game set in the Eye of Argon universe, as impossible as that may be

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That 24 death video was great.

The show was screwed up. And we were all screwed up for loving it.

I still love it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Is Melvin, Brother of the Joker still fair game?

What about emotional intelligence on analyzing movies?

Oh yeah, Lazy Game Reviews sorta finished his Edutainment Month with this, unless he makes a fifth video next week somehow.

Notable ones are this one where he reviews a science picture book turned into a cdrom experience (Owned the sequel) and this internet meme.

Also, altho not a internet critic or review, Youtube has announced a less draconic content id claim system.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 28, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

At least the person can get their money back. Still would actually prefer to have say, preferential treatment towards people with better records and punishing blatantly false and malicious copyright claims.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Max Wilco posted:

Is Doug's new shtick crippling, unaware irony??

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Low-hanging fruit aside, that's just a really freaking dumb question to base an editorial around and what it tells me is that he's just throwing stuff out there to keep a schedule

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 28, 2016

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Augus posted:

he's just throwing stuff out there to keep a schedule

All of his future videos will be about Adam Sandler movies and the level of laziness will be so intense that people will spontaneously turn into literal sloths.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Next editorial: Is Air BREATHABLE?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

That 24 death video was great.

The show was screwed up. And we were all screwed up for loving it.

I still love it.

I'm a little saddened that Jon didn't touch on the pointlessly spiteful death of Michelle Fairley's character during Live Another Day. Restrained, neutralized, and having just watched her son get yanked out a window by Jack, Margot gets tossed out the window right after him because she sasses Jack.

I actually laughed when it happened because it was so comically violent and unexpected, even for Jack Bauer.

...I also went "The Lannisters send their regards", when she hit the ground, but that's another story.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

...I also went "The Lannisters send their regards", when she hit the ground, but that's another story.

Heh.

CynCyanide posted:

All of his future videos will be about Adam Sandler movies and the level of laziness will be so intense that people will spontaneously turn into literal sloths.

Included in each of these videos will be a dozen rants about how lazy and bad they are and how lazy and bad the people who made it are for not making something that wasn't lazy and bad also have the two demo reel people do a skit about evil corporate greed that makes lazy and bad things for money.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

This... this can't actually work, can it?

So uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK8i6aMG9VM

While you can't use it to ensure you get your money, you CAN do it to ensure other people cannot get your money.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leal posted:

So uh...

While you can't use it to ensure you get your money, you CAN do it to ensure other people cannot get your money.

This is actually brilliant

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Is Doug's new shtick crippling, unaware irony??

He already made an editorial about how the Selterberg are not parodies because all they do is reference things, so yes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PassTheRemote posted:

He already made an editorial about how the Selterberg are not parodies because all they do is reference things, so yes.

The enthused barbarian swilveled about, his shock of fiery red hair tossing robustly in the humid air currents as he faced the attack of the defeated soldier's fellow in arms.

"drat you, barbarian" Shrieked the soldier as he observed his comrade in death.

A gleaming scimitar smote a heavy blow against the renegade's spiked helmet, bringing a heavy cloud over the Ecordian's misting brain. Shaking off the effects of the pounding blow to his head, Grignr brought down his scarlet streaked edge against the soldier's crudely forged hauberk, clanging harmlessly to the left side of his opponent. The soldier's stead whinnied as he directed the horse back from the driving blade of the barbarian. Grignr leashed his mount forward as the hoarsely piercing battle cry of his wilderness bred race resounded from his grinding lungs. A twirling blade bounced harmlessly from the mighty thief's buckler as his rolling right arm cleft upward, sending a foot of blinding steel ripping through the Simarian's exposed gullet. A gasping gurgle from the soldier's writhing mouth as he tumbled to the golden sand at his feet, and wormed agonizingly in his death bed.

Grignr's emerald green orbs glared lustfully at the wallowing soldier struggling before his chestnut swirled mount. His scowling voice reverberated over the dying form in a tone of mocking mirth. "You city bred dogs should learn not to antagonize your better." Reining his weary mount ahead, grignr resumed his journey to the Noregolian city of Gorzam, hoping to discover wine, women, and adventure to boil the wild blood coarsing through his savage veins.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Leal posted:

So uh...

I'm glad that Jim isn't a nintendo fanboy who gives them a pass cause muh childhood. Seriously okay give nintendo better rights cause they're not EA, that's some good old hypocrisy there. You might as well rickroll the poo poo out of your own content and let the corporate dragons duke it out for your rotten scraps. Best part is even with the new system making it so the winner of the content ID gets the cash, still doesn't solve the fundamental problem of being punished for following the rules.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an edit of that somewhere that replaces the Seltzerberg clips with the anniversary movies, it's brilliant.

And his editorials are his dumbest videos, it's like a running joke with us what stupid question qualifies for them. "Is Melty a Flavor? An NC Editorial" "How do magnets work? An NC Editorial"

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an edit of that somewhere that replaces the Seltzerberg clips with the anniversary movies, it's brilliant.

And his editorials are his dumbest videos, it's like a running joke with us what stupid question qualifies for them. "Is Melty a Flavor? An NC Editorial" "How do magnets work? An NC Editorial"

I tried to capture the essence of
"Fake mugging reaction shot staged solely for the thumbnail and not appearing in the actual video"

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Need animated icon with NC rant face followed by "THAT. MAKES. NO. SENSE!" We can use that when Cyron posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Need animated icon with NC rant face followed by "THAT. MAKES. NO. SENSE!" We can use that when Cyron posts.

Well maybe, but i rather save it for when doug post more "thoughtful" videos.

In term of other bad Doug Walker shows Emo Jones was also bad, honestly everything outside of the critic turn out to be bad didn't it, his stuff that turn out decent wasn't that hard to make liked (bum, ask that guy) it just word salad.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 29, 2016

• Locked thread