Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

To be fair, the Pontiff seems to be into everything. Because meddling with multiple things of which man was not meant to wot in the Soulsverse is a good plan.

That's why he's the best. Dude had an insatiable lust to meddle with everything.

Winkie01 posted:

Can you summon people for Nameless King? I am not seeing any signs :smith:

That's strange. The place is such a hotspot for summoning that 90% of the signs are usually taken before you can summon someone, leading to "Failed to summon"-related PTSD in several posters in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think it's the world starting to return to its primeval state of just arch-trees and dragons.

e: Those butterflies look super cool btw.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Giant Isopod posted:

So what exactly is the association between the Dark/Deep and ... trees, anyway?

Nature, literally it's a metaphor of civilization polluting nature.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Oh yeah and if you look closely at your dark sword the branches sticking out of it look like pubes. Pube sword. thx 4 reading

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

There sure is a lot of stuff turning into trees in this game:

Thinking back to DS1, branches and trees are closely associated with the Witch of Izalith and the whole fire/life motif of her lord soul. Like the way Lost Izalith and the Demon Ruins were full of roots poking straight into lava, and of the course the Bed of Chaos itself. I assume there's some lore correlation here with the fact that everything is all fire and cinders in this game. Possibly with the age of fire being extended for such an unnaturally long time that the natural growth is also out of control and hollows are turning into trees, etc. It's not a well formed theory, but it sort of fits known themes.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Haven't seen a crab as big as the ones in Fuckboi Forest since Prom.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is there any way I can get a clear look at Aldrichs full model without fighting him. I still dont really udnerstand what I was looking at.

TOP PART: Gwyndolin
MIDDLE: Skirt made of Nito?
END PART: ??????? fins?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
There were also those weird witch-tree shades in the abyss in DS2 come to think of it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I can't beat anri and horace they are far too skilled

now I need to figure out what to do about them hogging this bonfire in permanent hostility

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

net cafe scandal posted:

Is there any way I can get a clear look at Aldrichs full model without fighting him. I still dont really udnerstand what I was looking at.

I took pics of him for the wiki page to try and cover all of it. They're at the bottom. http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Aldrich,+Devourer+of+Gods

That butt part is Aldrich, the skirt I'm not really sure but I took a good pic of it.

e: I think the bones sticking out near the butt are sometimes covered with the sludgy skin, so they become the fins like he has in the intro.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What the gently caress are those pilgrim butterflies anyway?

Were they explained at some point?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

I took pics of him for the wiki page to try and cover all of it. They're at the bottom. http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Aldrich,+Devourer+of+Gods

That butt part is Aldrich, the skirt I'm not really sure but I took a good pic of it.

Huh, prince lothric has the same arms and hands. Weird.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Your Computer posted:

That's why he's the best. Dude had an insatiable lust to meddle with everything.

That's strange. The place is such a hotspot for summoning that 90% of the signs are usually taken before you can summon someone, leading to "Failed to summon"-related PTSD in several posters in this thread.

I am a idiot and didn't notice I was playing offline

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

net cafe scandal posted:

Hes a disgusting loving meat monster that needs to be incinerated with a fluorine flamethrower

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Thank you for doing this, but I need a clearer picture of his rear end.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's the world starting to return to its primeval state of just arch-trees and dragons.

I can't for the life of me remember where I heard the theory (probably Vaati), but I love the idea that the cycle is inevitable. Link the fire and it will eventually fade, reject it and the flames will eventually re-ignite. The true ending to the Dark Souls universe would be finding a way past the cycle, probably reverting to the primeval state of gray. I see a lot of people immediately assume that "Age of Fire = good, Age of Dark = bad" but if you delve deeper into the lore the lines really start to blur.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

durability works the same as it did in dark souls 2, as far as I can tell, except the durability meters are even higher. Plus they had the good sense to not include any durability-reducing enemies or traps. I've never ever ever had any weapon break in dark souls 3. So it seems to be a non-issue, which makes it baffling as to why they didn't just remove the mechanic entirely

Hopefully we'll get a scraping spear in DLC. I want my troll invasions!

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 28, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is that some Nito I see on Aldrichs crown... Hmm..

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey guys,

Quick question, I've been playing through the game as a Knight. I am very slow and methodical in exploration so that I get everything, so I probably have most or all of the weapons that you can get so far excepting maybe some rare drops.

I'm basically done with the Catacombs in terms of my progress.

Right now I'm still rocking the Longsword that you get as the starter weapon (it has up to Large Titanite Shards on it, so +4 or +5 range) and a fire gem upgrade.

My playstyle is very shield oriented, lots of backstabbing as well. So my question is, is there anything better I should be using with a shield at this point in the game?

It feels pretty stupid to be using the starting weapon still, but the array of weapons is absolutely dizzying and whenever I start thinking about what to use, I inevitably get overwhelmed and stick with the fire longsword.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Walked over that bridge at Lothric Castle with two dead dragons and dead knights everywhere while Hurt by NIN played, it was sad.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Your Computer posted:

I can't for the life of me remember where I heard the theory (probably Vaati), but I love the idea that the cycle is inevitable. Link the fire and it will eventually fade, reject it and the flames will eventually re-ignite. The true ending to the Dark Souls universe would be finding a way past the cycle, probably reverting to the primeval state of gray. I see a lot of people immediately assume that "Age of Fire = good, Age of Dark = bad" but if you delve deeper into the lore the lines really start to blur.

In the 'dark' ending extinguishing the flame kind of implies that there are other flames, flames that arent the "first" flame lurking around. The whole time we've been spending keeping the first flame on life support when we could have moved to the second flame and avoided this whole undead curse thing

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

So what exactly is the association between the Dark/Deep and ... trees, anyway?

The deacons all have branches coming out of their robes. McDonnell has branches coming out of his eyes. The Pontiff has branches for wings. Even the darkwraith armor has some small twig branches on their armor and the hilt of the dark sword.

(Also, the branches thing is consistent across both the Dark and the Deep). Its a recurring theme but I have no idea what it actually represents.

It came out of the ground. We'd been burying the bones wrong for years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

il serpente cosmico posted:

Hopefully we'll get a winged spear in DLC. I want my troll invasions!

...Patches sells one already :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

net cafe scandal posted:

I'll try to zoom on it next time I fight him but I'm not sure when that will be. Some other goon should take up the charge. His rear end is a little elusive, part of it is bone/sludge and then part (the end) is just a bunch of maggoty meat, but it also sinks into the floor.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

:pcgaming:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Taima posted:

Hey guys,

Quick question, I've been playing through the game as a Knight. I am very slow and methodical in exploration so that I get everything, so I probably have most or all of the weapons that you can get so far excepting maybe some rare drops.

I'm basically done with the Catacombs in terms of my progress.

Right now I'm still rocking the Longsword that you get as the starter weapon (it has up to Large Titanite Shards on it, so +4 or +5 range) and a fire gem upgrade.

My playstyle is very shield oriented, lots of backstabbing as well. So my question is, is there anything better I should be using with a shield at this point in the game?

It feels pretty stupid to be using the starting weapon still, but the array of weapons is absolutely dizzying and whenever I start thinking about what to use, I inevitably get overwhelmed and stick with the fire longsword.

If you like your weapon you should stay with it. But you should try new weps and if one has a moveset you like more, upgrade and switch to it. Try having different weapons that do different types of damage (strike, thrust, ...sword? slash)

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Patches sells one already :v:

Doh. I meant scraping spear :)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

In the 'dark' ending extinguishing the flame kind of implies that there are other flames, flames that arent the "first" flame lurking around. The whole time we've been spending keeping the first flame on life support when we could have moved to the second flame and avoided this whole undead curse thing

I interpreted it in the DS2 sense of inevitability that you're not actually "stopping" anything and the cycle will continue. You might be right though, which would be incredibly interesting and I'd love to see some lore backing that up.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I Need Pictures Of Aldrich's rear end.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Whats your game time?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

me too

for a friend

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Whats your game time?

99 hours total, how appropriate.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

turtlecrunch posted:

If you like your weapon you should stay with it. But you should try new weps and if one has a moveset you like more, upgrade and switch to it. Try having different weapons that do different types of damage (strike, thrust, ...sword? slash)

So you're saying that all weapons have similar strength and it just comes down to preference in terms of speed and moveset?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alabaster White posted:

99 hours total, how appropriate.

Nice nice I'm on my way but I'm afraid to start farming ears

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Huh, prince lothric has the same arms and hands. Weird.

Lothric has elongate arms and claw hands but his skin is cleaner. Also I don't think Gwyndolin had spooky arms like that in DS1. But G and L are definitely the same archetype (and same VA, maybe?).

Seems normal. I guess Aldrich ate his boobs since he doesn't have them anymore.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

il serpente cosmico posted:

Doh. I meant scraping spear :)

No. gently caress you. Seriously. No.

Fight me. Kill me even. But don't come in just to break my poo poo and leave like a coward.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

man imagine if they added Blind back as a DLC weapon

shield babies would cry forever

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Taima posted:

So you're saying that all weapons have similar strength and it just comes down to preference in terms of speed and moveset?

For PVE, yeah for the most part. I mean some weapons suck, like some of the boss weapons, but really if you like the moveset you can make anything work.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

turtlecrunch posted:

e: I think the bones sticking out near the butt are sometimes covered with the sludgy skin, so they become the fins like he has in the intro.

Is Aldrich basically a smaller version of the thing you enter at the end of Demon's Souls? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Nice nice I'm on my way but I'm afraid to start farming ears

At least 40 of those hours were spent in aimless PVP or idling. Maybe the regulation patch today will make Darkmoons work better, and the ear grind much less hellish as a result.