Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

limaCAT posted:

Ok guys, I'm going to try the ASP next.

Enjoy your awkward space blimp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Space blimp is best o7

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

limaCAT posted:

Brake early or break often

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

limaCAT posted:

Asp, not ASP. It's a snake, not an abbreviation.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Atrayonis posted:

On the other hand, running on IIS would be a pretty good explanation why the Asp is such a cumbersome and uncooperative pain in the arse.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Atrayonis posted:

tbh I'd yell a shitload if I came across one of those in the wild.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
The silent running module counter looks cool. I like the idea of modding one of each of your weapons and kind of having a swiss army knife loadout. I could see on my fdl having a couple of thermic multicannons, a rail that breaks shields, a multicannon that illuminates silent ships (just announced), and hopefully a huge PA that is significantly buffed in line with the c3.

Might be fun. We'll see.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DarthBlingBling posted:

You gonna stand for this N4I?! They're making a mockery of you!

:nallears:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

Watching this livestream, Frontier really do seem averse to just adding more content and variety to this game. There will only be a 'sprinkling' of new mission templates in the update, it's mostly about making the UI actually tell you what the mission is for and about and how to do it.
The missions guy was just like, there are 75,000 factions in this game, I can't just go and make a new level for a mission.
Well, you could. You could build some derelict space stations or asteroid base levels or ship graveyards, and then put missions in them. Why the gently caress aren't you :argh:

Edit to quote myself and add :allears:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 28, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

El Grillo posted:

Edit to quote myself and add :allears:

I agree with you very very much. And also :allears:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Well, this is a thing:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/prefs/special-day

Which month to pick...

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Nooooooooo

N4i'd again

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

xiansi posted:

Well, this is a thing:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/prefs/special-day

Which month to pick...

I just picked my birthday :shrug:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I want to select pi day but then I'd have to wait nearly a year to get my loot. What's a date of sci fi significance coming up in the near future?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

I want to select pi day but then I'd have to wait nearly a year to get my loot. What's a date of sci fi significance coming up in the near future?

August 29, Judgement Day.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Kramjacks posted:

August 29, Judgement Day.

Nice.

I too went with my birthday

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Anyone have a good recent Vulture build for PvE? Mine is still kitted out for SCB cheese.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Newbie question. What's SCB?

Picked up a load of slave from Robigo for 3 million. Got 50 minutes to deliver it. Wish me luck!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

H13 posted:

Newbie question. What's SCB?

Picked up a load of slave from Robigo for 3 million. Got 50 minutes to deliver it. Wish me luck!

Shield cell bank. It charges your shields back up while heating your ship way up.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So, anyone wanna critique my PVE Murderboat?

This is it.

Here's my logic:

The PACs on the bottom, 1 huge, 1 large, work like the Corvettes two huge pacs. By my calculations, they are 11% less dps than the Corvette with two huge PACs, which I can live with. With some practice, I find myself hitting with them surprisingly often, though they are for use on FAS/Asp E or bigger only. I combine that fire group with two large burst laser turrets on top, which due to the field of fire only shoot when my PACs aren't lined up. The overall effect on big ships seems to be very effective, killing them quicker than I have before.

The second fire group is for smaller ships, all turrets and multicannons. Turrets on top and bottom have a nice 360 coverage around my hull and I don't need to manouver all that hard to pile on the dps. Burst lasers seem great for hull damage (shields are stripped in seconds regardless), and while I don't have any trouble manouvering to point at smaller ships with the gimballed MCs, the turrets still seem to give me more damage on target per second than gimbals. The downside is weakness to chaff, but small ships don't do anything to my shield so it's more of an annoyance than a concern.

Both firegroups work well on two dots to weapons, leaving me four to shields or a couple to engines if I need to manouver hard, making the build very tanky. The bi-weave shield gives me max regen at the expense of total shield strength, but I carry enough SCBs for a good 5000 extra MJs when I need them. So far it seems like I don't even need them too often, running out of ammo for the PACs well before SCBs even when constantly engaging wings of large ships.

Scoop and discovery scanner for when I have to move and find a new CZ or things, A-rated sensors for a good overview, as tanky as 15LY jumps (my comfort minimum) allow for.

My personal feel is that I hate being ammo dependent, but not as much as I hate all-laser builds. It's just so fun landing those PACs. I'd love suggestions/recriminations and ideas for improvement though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Sedisp posted:

Anyone have a good recent Vulture build for PvE? Mine is still kitted out for SCB cheese.

I've used something like this before.

Not the most exciting of builds, but it gets the job done I think. You could always sacrifice some tankyness for more DPS, like Beam/Frag combo, Burst/Cannon combo or something. Depending on how good you are at shooting, I'd also go for fixed instead of gimbals. I heard about a PAC build, but my guess is the heat buildup would be too annoying.

If you have the spare change, I might go for a Mirrored Surface composite, seeing as you're flying a fast ultra-manouverable ship. It would be hell to hit with kinetics or a PAC, and if they are getting through that shield, they are using lasers to actually hit you. Might also want to consider chaff instead of that D shield booster.

Or I'm wrong. No guarantees, haven't used a Vulture in a while.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I picked up 9.5 Million bucks worth of smuggling missions from Robigo.

I set out with a huge grin on my face...

...and got scanned after making 1 drop-off. I deployed chaff and was going as fast as I could, but I still got nabbed.

What do I do to not get buggered like this? I made 3 million so not all was lost but was still a bit poo poo.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mENb5jLeKWg

This looks like a cool location.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I saw a new CG for explorers showing up and apparently it's just a week long? Sometimes I think there's something wrong with the guys writing those things, do they really expect most explorers to just race back from the other side of the galaxy in less then a week?

One of the last exploration-CGs they did was a month long, which was a lot more sensible. Is this one of those CGs Frontier wants to fail?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H13 posted:

...and got scanned after making 1 drop-off. I deployed chaff and was going as fast as I could, but I still got nabbed.

What do I do to not get buggered like this? I made 3 million so not all was lost but was still a bit poo poo.

Either go faster, or shoot the cop to switch them from scanning mode to killing mode. Some ships are better at one or the other.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

H13 posted:

Silent running.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

1500 posted:

Silent running.

Does nothing against NPCs.

The *only* thing that matters is speed. You need to get out of range. Get the best thrusters, boost away.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Libluini posted:

I saw a new CG for explorers showing up and apparently it's just a week long? Sometimes I think there's something wrong with the guys writing those things, do they really expect most explorers to just race back from the other side of the galaxy in less then a week?

One of the last exploration-CGs they did was a month long, which was a lot more sensible. Is this one of those CGs Frontier wants to fail?

This might be the inspiration I need to log in and get home, when does it end?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Truga posted:

Does nothing against NPCs.

The *only* thing that matters is speed. You need to get out of range. Get the best thrusters, boost away.

I have done the exact same run into a station with Silent running on and off, using the same speed and approach. I get scanned every time with Silent running off, I have never been scanned with Silent running on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

This might be the inspiration I need to log in and get home, when does it end?

Last time I checked, there were about 6 days left.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Can someone explain to me how SCB cheese works?

I've been doing smuggling runs but its kind of boring and I want to go back to murdering NPCs.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Eldragon posted:

Can someone explain to me how SCB cheese works?

I've been doing smuggling runs but its kind of boring and I want to go back to murdering NPCs.

What is there to cheese, just get in a Vulture and murder everything

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Libluini posted:

Last time I checked, there were about 6 days left.

You're killing me, Frontier

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Shredder posted:

What is there to cheese, just get in a Vulture and murder everything

Right now I'm still in a CobraIII saving up for a Vulture. Robigo runs have been very slow profit-wise because generally only one or two missions are available for a combined 3 million. So far had 3 successful runs and 1 failed run (Thanks to getting scanned while landing on the pad and waiting for the Bulletin board to come up)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Eldragon posted:

Right now I'm still in a CobraIII saving up for a Vulture. Robigo runs have been very slow profit-wise because generally only one or two missions are available for a combined 3 million. So far had 3 successful runs and 1 failed run (Thanks to getting scanned while landing on the pad and waiting for the Bulletin board to come up)

Then why not do a rares circuit instead? Pretty quick, if you have an A-rated FSD. About the same money, less hassle. Probably a bit quicker, even.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Nice piece of fish posted:

Then why not do a rares circuit instead? Pretty quick, if you have an A-rated FSD. About the same money, less hassle. Probably a bit quicker, even.

I did that for a while too; I think the $/time averages to about the same. My thinking was if I suck it up long enough doing Robigo runs I can get to "Friendly" rep and the big payout missions open up. But at least with Rare's circuits I can mindlessly watch TV and jabber at the same time (no need to watch for scans).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

You're killing me, Frontier

I just went to Sag A*, not even Beagle Point like you did, and the worst part is knowing some poopsocker did in ~8 hours what has taken me the better part of 8 months. :ohdear:

Oh well...never not scan all the things. :colbert:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I just went to Sag A*, not even Beagle Point like you did, and the worst part is knowing some poopsocker did in ~8 hours what has taken me the better part of 8 months. :ohdear:

Oh well...never not scan all the things. :colbert:

Haha, drat. You're going to have one hell of a data dump, though. You could probably poopsock back in time and easily win that CG.

Edit: I just did some napkin math and I'd have to jump for almost 9 hours a day to make it back in time. gently caress it, I'm never coming home :negative:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Eldragon posted:

I did that for a while too; I think the $/time averages to about the same. My thinking was if I suck it up long enough doing Robigo runs I can get to "Friendly" rep and the big payout missions open up. But at least with Rare's circuits I can mindlessly watch TV and jabber at the same time (no need to watch for scans).

If you just want to shoot guys you can do that in a Cobra, just make sure to let the cops tank for you if it's a bigger ship and don't engage if they are in a wing.

If you team up with some frogs you can crank out money pretty quick.

• Locked thread