Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah I don't care about whatever Lurdiak was trying to do just laughing at the overly defensive dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Four Score posted:

Lurdiak just has the posting equivalent of Resting Bitch Face

It's true, I really do.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you liked Kill Bill, today's Spider Woman is, uh, really something

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just got why Spider-Gwen is set on "Earth-65".

Ugh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because she was created in 1965?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh, that's fine. I assumed it was because 65 looks like "GS".

Actually, I'm fairly certain that's the reason, since they flip between calling it Earth-GS and Earth-65.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just read the Standoff ending and uh. Am I not getting this right or is there some tie-in that explains why the entire universe doesn't want to shoot Maria Hill in the face right now? She's the most self-righteous, arrogant character I've ever read. It feels like 2006 again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
If they killed her off how would they show that women are arrogant, stupid, selfish and unable to handle real power without loving up through sheer incompetence?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
While she's undoubtedly been screwed over yet again in this event, I did like Maria's line to the World Security Council that established supervillain incarceration doesn't work so don't hate on this latest plan just because it also didn't work. It was something at least, regardless of the questionable morality of the initial plan - though I do wonder why they couldn't have had her gain approval from the WSC beforehand, rather than have her be the focal point for blame/out of control etc. :shrug:

At a certain point, SHIELD might have to be shown as competent, or at least a worthwhile ally because it's getting ridiculous how useless and antagonistic they are. Though I'd possibly miss the incessant helicarrier crashes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Whatever happened to that girl who was friends with Drax? She should be the new Quasar.

She showed up in this week's issue of Drax.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

She showed up in this week's issue of Drax.

So you're the one person that reads it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey now, I'm sure CM Punk reads them when Marvel sends him his comp copy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SirDan3k posted:

If they killed her off how would they show that women are arrogant, stupid, selfish and unable to handle real power without loving up through sheer incompetence?

I think that's more a problem with how SHIELD has been established then with Hill specifically.

The whole point of SHIELD is basically as the superheroic version of the CIA. There are plenty of strong capable women in positions of power, especially in the marvel universe, they're just not the ones in charge of the black ops secret super organization that nobody really trusts because their true motives are always unclear.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

No. I'm the person that reads a twitter feed of someone that reads it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

I think that's more a problem with how SHIELD has been established then with Hill specifically.

The whole point of SHIELD is basically as the superheroic version of the CIA. There are plenty of strong capable women in positions of power, especially in the marvel universe, they're just not the ones in charge of the black ops secret super organization that nobody really trusts because their true motives are always unclear.

Every gently caress up is traced directly to back to Hill though, while every dude that has run Shield has at least a 50/50 ratio of "I hosed this up" and "Somebody hosed this up behind my back". Hell, Maria Hill was pretty much created to be the character that fucks things up when Nick Fury had his back turned for five minutes.

But now Fury stuck on the moon and Maria Hill is starting to come off like an MRA wet dream about affirmative action hires putting womenfolk in un-firable positions and the glass ceiling is there for a reason, biotruths.

Nick Fury was written, 90% of the time, as a competent leader drowning in a sea of idiots, Maria Hill is just written as king idiot when she could be written as another competent leader drowning in a sea of idiots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Matt Fraction at least had her as a woman figuratively trying to rebuild the Great Wall of China with a spoon and some sand during Dark Reign, and she comes off fairly competent in the movies. (Still love that beat in Winter Soldier where she stands up and shoots 2 Hydra goons without blinking and just carries on her conversation like nbd)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So they're doing a liveblog about the new Steve Rogers cap book right now: http://marvel.com/news/comics/26080/captain_america_steve_rogers_live_blog

Edit: And it's over. I'll be honest, I'm still kind of skeptical.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 28, 2016

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Whatever happened to Victoria Hand? I vaguely remember her dying but I'm not 100% on that.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Starsnostars posted:

Whatever happened to Victoria Hand? I vaguely remember her dying but I'm not 100% on that.

Doctor Voodoo's brother killed her and they put up a statue of her at the Mansion.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PantsOptional posted:

Doctor Voodoo's brother killed her and they put up a statue of her at the Mansion.

The mansion which is now apparently a themed sex hotel (as of Standoff). Stay classy, Marvel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

The mansion which is now apparently a themed sex hotel (as of Standoff). Stay classy, Marvel.

I thought it was more like one of those murder mystery places, except Avengers-themed?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wow, I missed that.

So in the story where the female leader of shield fucks up horrendously and white bread Captain America is restored there is a sex hotel at the old avengers mansion.

Who masterminded standoff again? Because I don't think they're handling the whole pushing women and minorities to the forefront very well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First of all, that wasn't Standoff. It was Uncanny Avengers. It also wasn't a sex hotel. It was a superhero theme hotel. If you're going to bitch about something at least get the details right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sex hotels are classy as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every hotel is a sex hotel.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Every hotel is a sex hotel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bet a sex hotel is more thoroughly cleaned than a regular hotel.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Aphrodite posted:

I bet a sex hotel is more thoroughly cleaned than a regular hotel.

Not a thought I wanted right before I take a trip including hotel stay. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you never stayed in a regular hotel before?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I stay exclusively in dives.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I stay exclusively in dives.

That's what they call sex hotels when they're not allowed to say sex hotel.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Endless Mike posted:

Strictly sex hotels up to this point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Relevant: http://www.clickhole.com/article/damage-control-hyatt-destroying-one-its-hotels-aft-4135

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The thing to remember with Standoff/Pleasant Hill is that the bookends/main narrative were written by Nick Spencer, meaning pretty much every character is written in a sort of detached ironic quipster sort of way.

There's probably a way to make Maria Hill come off as sympathetic or at least identifiable in the whole Pleasant Hill plan/disaster, but she's written for most of the event in a way where she's basically going "Sup broheim, what I say to your Geneva Conventions is a big ol' WHATEVS. Bee tee dubs, I gotta go watch Game of Thrones, we'll deal with this paperwork later, AT LEAST I NEVER MOLESTED KIDS LIKE D-HASTERT, AM I RIGHT?" To be fair this is the voice that Spencer also writes Bucky, Baron Zemo, pretty much every single character in, so I'm not 100% sure it was a choice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
guys did you notice edge & christian doesn't like nick spencer yet

did you

did you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nobody should like Nick Spencer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't but now I do. I hated Ultimate X-Men but since I've more or less enjoyed everything he's done for Marvel since then I'm guessing that was just a misstep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Morning Glories is really bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hate everything Nick Spencer's ever written. I know a lot of people like Deadly Foes but I didn't see the appeal. His Secret Avengers issues are some of the worst poo poo I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blockhouse posted:

guys did you notice edge & christian doesn't like nick spencer yet

did you

did you
A stirring counterpoint.