Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alabaster White posted:

Should be. Jumping attacks have always been unparryable and the safe counter. Whips, too. I mean it makes sense when you think about it; how are you going to parry someone crashing down on you with their weapon?

It doesn't make that much sense though, because PvE enemy jumping attacks are the easiest to parry.*

*See: Pontiff Sulyvahn, Gwyn, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Should be. Jumping attacks have always been unparryable and the safe counter. Whips, too. I mean it makes sense when you think about it; how are you going to parry someone crashing down on you with their weapon?
How do you parry a flashsword?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Harrow posted:

Reddit is saying the magic changes were exclusively nerfs, specifically to Great Chaos Fire Orb

But I was just about to get that on my pyro run :negative:

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
For a strictly PvE build (zero PvP intentions) what should I be aiming for with my Estoc? (gem infusion/stats) I'm playing a Knight and just cleared Abyss Watchers; I've been using a Dark Sword and I just don't like the weapon at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Waverhouse posted:

1) First and foremost, is parrying really worth it, or is it just better to dodge and try to land regular attacks? When you can get a parry it's dope af, and I guess I can use it to throw a undead hunters talisman on them while they on the floor, but it doesn't seem like many weapons have a critical multiplier. Except for daggers I guess, but they seem like poo poo.

Parries are most valuable against multiple opponents as they allow you to deal heavy damage in a single blow while being invincible. With a hornet ring, parries can oneshot a lot of enemy phantoms unless they have insane vigor. This is how really good players usually manage to win lopsided invasions.

In 1v1 matchups, I don't think they are usually worth the risk. Its better to just dodge and wait for your opponent to slip up. If they are playing super predictably though, such as an estoc spammer, parrying can be a good way to punish them.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm trying to get the Lord of Hollows ending. Assuming I did everything right, do I just do the exact same loving thing as the basic ending? I'm absolutely terrified to do so because the context of pressing X hasn't changed. I absolutely loving do not want to link the first fire. I want to steal it. Why does it still say "link the first fire" press x. I am 99 hollowed. I married Anri. Everything I google says 'approach the bonfire and it ends" not "link the first fire anyway and it works"

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I'm trying to get the Lord of Hollows ending. Assuming I did everything right, do I just do the exact same loving thing as the basic ending? I'm absolutely terrified to do so because the context of pressing X hasn't changed. I absolutely loving do not want to link the first fire. I want to steal it. Why does it still say "link the first fire" press x. I am 99 hollowed. I married Anri. Everything I google says 'approach the bonfire and it ends" not "link the first fire anyway and it works"

Interact with it, it'll work. All the stuff on Google is super vague and unhelpful, yeah.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I gotta ask, is that anime poop from Starbound or did that game have a different anime poop?

Yeuh it's Starbound. I was making fun of goons for being gooney in the Starbound thread, and I caught a probie and someone purchased this fine avatar for me.

it was like two and some change years ago, I just never got around to changing it because I don't care

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

if you've stumbled upon a 3v1 or 4v1, just start parrying and pray to your god(s) because other than idiocy or the environment, that's the only way you'll win

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Huh, prince lothric has the same arms and hands. Weird.

This is from a while ago, but that's probably because Lothric (and Lorian) are likely descendants of Gwynevere.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So Dragonslayer Armor took me more tries to kill than Nameless King and the final boss combined.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Krinkle posted:

You've done everything you need to, ignore what the prompt on-screen says, you're going to get the ending you want.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Babe Magnet posted:

I wear armor so that it hurts less when I get hit

you only get hit if you wear armor though and dont have an estoc / dark sword.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Jerusalem posted:

You've done everything you need to, ignore what the prompt on-screen says, you're going to get the ending you want.

Alabaster White posted:

Interact with it, it'll work. All the stuff on Google is super vague and unhelpful, yeah.

Phew!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I made the lovechild of Patches and Shrek, which I'll name "Peck"

Whatever the hell this..thing is.

And part of the way through making a Daikon man, I realized a touch that would make him look much, much worse better..

Kinda hard to see, but I think it's perfect

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

This is from a while ago, but that's probably because Lothric (and Lorian) are likely descendants of Gwynevere.

Is this based on anything other than the item description of the Divine Blessing?

If not, I think it's a pretty silly theory. It's just holy water, who blessed it is kinda irrelevant.*

*Unless you get super creepy about it like I found out in EnB's From the Dark some people have. Apparently it's a fan theory than Divine Blessings are Gwynevere's breastmilk. Because she got huge tits. gently caress nerds.

e: It's clearly stated that she married Flame God Flann, so unless they're just gonna ignore all that stuff and go "uh no she divorced that guy and married Mr. Lothric" I don't buy it based on that item alone.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 29, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hard counter posted:

The Deep used to be a cult all about defeating and locking up horrors before they ended up becoming really spooky themselves. Apparently trees in souls lore are good at resisting magic/curse and spirit trees in particular are really good at it. The treeboss was one that became a landfill for curses, bad magic and voodoo until it was overwhelmed and became a monster.

Related: you sometimes see hollows morphing into trees in the undead settlement. I'm guessing they were undead, a breath's away from becoming hollows, that were trying to trying to escape the curse of zombie immortality by doing weird stuff with trees. A few seem to have succeeded.

Spoiler for Greatwood's bubbles' lore: Looks an awful lot like there are skeletons inside. So it's not just a landfill for bad juju, it's a landfill for people. Or at least undead people. Quite probably Hollow people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I completely missed Rosaria my first time through the game, found her this time and.... yikes :stare:

The message to her side read,"Visions of mount, but... impossible" - stay classy, DS players :allears:

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

if you're about to do something irreversible, you can backup your save to a usb stick and restore it later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Spoiler for Greatwood's bubbles' lore: Looks an awful lot like there are skeletons inside. So it's not just a landfill for bad juju, it's a landfill for people. Or at least undead people. Quite probably Hollow people.

Given enough time maybe he could have become Greatwood Nito :shobon:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Genocyber posted:

Lothric is a very Gwyndolin-esque figure overall, he's the wimp kid who wound up inheriting his dad's god-kingdom but just kind of hides inside it doing nothing. Also a sorcerer with white anime hair. Also voiced by the same actor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skasion posted:

Lothric is a very Gwyndolin-esque figure overall, he's the wimp kid who wound up inheriting his dad's god-kingdom but just kind of hides inside it doing nothing. Also a sorcerer with white anime hair. Also voiced by the same actor.

It's almost like...

...repeated cycles. :tinfoil:

Where everything becomes increasingly poo poo and degraded as time wears on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

I made the lovechild of Patches and Shrek, which I'll name "Peck"

Whatever the hell this..thing is.

And part of the way through making a Daikon man, I realized a touch that would make him look much, much worse better..

Kinda hard to see, but I think it's perfect

This brought back too many memories of old wrestling games

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Given enough time maybe he could have become Greatwood Nito :shobon:

Now you made me sad for busting his balls. :( I love Nito, he's the best at skeletons.

Jerusalem posted:

I completely missed Rosaria my first time through the game, found her this time and.... yikes :stare:

Say, does anyone have any ~high res~ images of Rosaria? Everyone I've heard talk about her seems to think that she's a slug, but isn't she just a regular (huge) woman cradling a slugman? Or are my eyes not working?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

if you've stumbled upon a 3v1 or 4v1, just start parrying and pray to your god(s) because other than idiocy or the environment, that's the only way you'll win

I won one 3v1 recently, but only because all 3 players started to fight over the idiot ball for the right to finish me off. When I was out of estus at the undead settlement, I started running away and fell down into the sewers. All 3 chased after me, but a gold phantom got stuck behind the giant rat and was stunlocked to death. The host turned back in a failed attempt to save him, leaving just a white phantom left. By the time the host got back, I finished off the white one and had 2 extra estus because of the phantoms dying. Had to give him credit for sticking it out instead of running back for more partners, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Your Computer posted:

Now you made me sad for busting his balls. :( I love Nito, he's the best at skeletons.

Say, does anyone have any ~high res~ images of Rosaria? Everyone I've heard talk about her seems to think that she's a slug, but isn't she just a regular (huge) woman cradling a slugman? Or are my eyes not working?

No, you are correct. She has feet, albeit hard to see from some angles, and thus isn't a slug. She is however reclining on a mound of slug flesh which is p. nasty

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Your Computer posted:

That was my interpretation of her appearance, anyway, given what she does. It's rather vague, so I suppose it could go either way.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I always figured she was half-slug, but either way, she's either a source of Deep ~science~, or one of its earliest and most successful victims.

I like to think the latter, but I'm a Pontiff fanboy and that theory suggests that he handed over a Royal to the Deep Cult for giggles and experimentation, which is pretty much in line with all the other preposterously inadvisable poo poo he pulls. :v:

Edit: also, if a very minor Royal getting converted into half-blob lets her reshape supplicants, that makes the next step in the scientific process real loving obvious.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I sure hope Ocelotte shows up in the DLC and tells us how this was all a training kernel to show that given the right situation, the right story, anyone can be shaped into Lords of Cinder.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Kinda weird question:

Is there a place in the game with a respawning, kinda big enemy with a decent sized health bar where you fight them in a round-ish room? Preferably humanoid, quick to get to, with no other enemies around.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So people do think she's half slug. She totally has feet, so she's more "mother of slugs" than "slugwoman" :shobon:

That said, Pontiff probably has something to do with it since he's the most hilariously moustache-twirling villain in the Souls series and she might very well be an Irithyllian royal who was handed over to the Deep jerks.

Bass Bottles posted:

Kinda weird question:

Is there a place in the game with a respawning, kinda big enemy with a decent sized health bar where you fight them in a round-ish room? Preferably humanoid, quick to get to, with no other enemies around.

Possibly a couple of the Lothric Knight spawns in the Castle or (with less HP) the Cathedral Knights in the Cathedral?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For being the root of so much awful poo poo, the Pontiff doesn't really get much buildup as a boss. You could easily go through the game without ever noticing just how important he is.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Internet Kraken posted:

Parries are most valuable against multiple opponents as they allow you to deal heavy damage in a single blow while being invincible. With a hornet ring, parries can oneshot a lot of enemy phantoms unless they have insane vigor. This is how really good players usually manage to win lopsided invasions.

In 1v1 matchups, I don't think they are usually worth the risk. Its better to just dodge and wait for your opponent to slip up. If they are playing super predictably though, such as an estoc spammer, parrying can be a good way to punish them.

Ty for the advice. Just after I posted this some dude invaded me and killed me with a single parry counter attack. Is that uh...normal? Seems real cheesy if you can just fish for a lucky parry with a buckler that leads to an instakill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Kinda weird question:

There's the fat dude at the bottom of Undead Settlement, next to the stairwell between Vordt and Emma. The room is squarish with a fountain in the middle, and as far as I can recall there is only one other bad guy who is resting in one of the far corners and can be killed quickly without aggroing fatty. Does that fit with what you're looking for?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't tried magic but I hear it's poo poo. I was thinking of doing a sorcerer run. Is that a bad idea or is it just poo poo in PVP?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Your Computer posted:

So people do think she's half slug. She totally has feet, so she's more "mother of slugs" than "slugwoman" :shobon:

That said, Pontiff probably has something to do with it since he's the most hilariously moustache-twirling villain in the Souls series and she might very well be an Irithyllian royal who was handed over to the Deep jerks.

Possibly a couple of the Lothric Knight spawns in the Castle or (with less HP) the Cathedral Knights in the Cathedral?

Jerusalem posted:

There's the fat dude at the bottom of Undead Settlement, next to the stairwell between Vordt and Emma. The room is squarish with a fountain in the middle, and as far as I can recall there is only one other bad guy who is resting in one of the far corners and can be killed quickly without aggroing fatty. Does that fit with what you're looking for?

Cool, thanks. I'll check em out. Trying to make a dorky video lollllllll

Also, anyone have any hot tips for using the demon's fists??? Dual-weilded, obv

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Parry talk:

I think it's def. worth learning to parry any and all of the knight or knight-like enemies. Wait I mean K***hts

Black, silver, pontiff, lothric...

These guys all hit really hard, or have long comboes, or have lots or health, or any combination of that. Parrying lets you shut them down instantly. Lots of people complained about the Pontiff knights especially, but even on my first go those guys didn't give me problems because I just parried them.

Probably also worth learning to parry darkwraiths and the tall carthus skeletons, but they have some really fast and odd attack comboes.

Parry in pvp- there's nothing more satisfying than getting invaded, parrying the first hit and killing them in less than two seconds. Wrong neighborhood, pal.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Waverhouse posted:

Ty for the advice. Just after I posted this some dude invaded me and killed me with a single parry counter attack. Is that uh...normal? Seems real cheesy if you can just fish for a lucky parry with a buckler that leads to an instakill.

It happens. If he had hosed it up you would have been able to punish him real bad, though. Risk vs. reward. If you pump Vigor you can probably survive with a smidge of health, but if they have the hornet ring on (boosts critical attacks) then probably not.

Part of pvp skill is being unpredictable, or waiting until they strike, especially if you see they have a buckler or something on. <- said by someone who sucks at pvp

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

I haven't tried magic but I hear it's poo poo. I was thinking of doing a sorcerer run. Is that a bad idea or is it just poo poo in PVP?

It's fine in both once you have 50-60 int. So pyromancy for the early levels (read: all of your first playthrough) as pyro is good from the get go and be sure to get 20int/10fth so that you can cast Chaos Bed Vestiges. It owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

In general, it's best to parry when an enemy's downswing frames begin (when they're about to swing their weapon forward) with small or medium shields, including the buckler/target shield (as they have startup frames like in DS2). For certain enemies like Lothric Knights, it's mostly prediction: I know that, 9 times out of 10, the sword Knights are going to do a forward stab once they get within dash range of me if they're sprinting, so I simply hit parry when I intuit that they're getting within that distance.