Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurieg posted:

It's also so much less compelling, and removes the one thing that I liked (and hated) about Beasts.

The idea that if you don't keep your hunger in check it might seek out someone close to you and turn them into your worst enemy was exactly the right kind of thing you'd expect in a game about personal horror.

Now it just gives them a really bad nightmare, fucks up their willpower for a while, and summons one of an infinite amount of faceless MRA Stereotypes who hate you.

Also I really hate the moralizing of "Well if they were more self assured they'd realize that Beasts are good therefore all of these guys are just idiots :smuggo:" Integrity isn't humanity. You can have high integrity psychopaths who are really sure of themselves and have a completely bizzare moral code. You can have good people who have weak integrity. Why isn't there a single Hero who hates what he does but realizes it's necessary because Beasts are extremely hosed up?

Oh wow, yeah, this is so bad. Like, I loathe Beast, but I actually liked some aspects of the old Heroes. Like, the book's constant abuse apologism/justification was awful, but the idea of the horrors they commit resulting in people being haunted and corrupted by the source of their torment and driven to annihilate it was something that could work for horror, and that the victims weren't freed if they actually managed to defeat the Beast responsible but were compelled to hunt down more Beasts (including the hypothetical "good Beast") was tragic and awful. You could actually do something with that. The primary problem I saw with it, besides the book's need to demonize Heroes and glorify abuse, was that it potentially furthered the abuse thing in a bit of an iffy way; Heroes are basically the abuse victims who've had enough and more or less become vigilantes who aren't exactly discriminating in their targets (again, assuming that a "good Beast" is a thing, which is an assumption I'd make in a game where PCs could play them), which, well, not exactly an ideal interpretation but a very easy one to make.

This, meanwhile, removes one of the few potentially-interesting things Beast has to offer, and also completely misunderstands Integrity. This is Not Good.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
What's literally monstrous about mages is that supernal power is alien and indeed corrosive to the mortal world, such that it causes psychic trauma to humans who witness it and destabilizes or totally corrupts natural law. Mages are walking portals to hell (or heaven, which is just as bad). Dissonance and paradox, in other words.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Comparing Beast to Vampire because they both have "negative" feeding methods is pretty tasteless and ignores how Vampire is played in the actual world.

Not only is Vampire feeding (of either New or Old world versions) typically about late-night visits to the bloodbank, or one of the most explicit handwaves you will ever see... but it ignores how the definitional quality of Vampire is their inability to exist in the sunshine. Beast has no set presence in the gameworld (so that they be crossover friendly), which weakens its holistic quality.

As is, Beast is the game about playing child-abusers getting away with child-abuse because it is Important.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 29, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Idk how it necessarily compares with the other lines in terms of "net good" but the extent of Demon's existential horror seems to stem from the possibility that all the hosed up poo poo that the God Machine does is (literally) necessary evil. Sure, there are pacts and cover and all the things that mess up human bystanders but none of it realy compares to the things that the GM is doing all the time everywhere.

I guess in retrospect it's all a clever literalization of the esoteric question of theodicy.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I also haven't really read much in the way of Idigam Chronicle, but Werewolf back in the Gaia / Luna vs. The Wyrm vs. The Weaver days sort of seemed to have the same problem as Demon. The existential horror there seemed less to be that Werewolves were a problem so much that they were doomed to fail.

I guess maybe there was a suggestion that the Pure were right?? idk

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's also the open question of if there's a god in the machine, as it were. There is no particular evidence to show that the God-Machine has a purpose and is not in fact just doing things essentially at random as the result of random inputs, entirely mindlessly.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's an open question as to whether the GM is benevolent, even in a long view way, but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence in the fluff to suggest that it actively prevents a lot of systemic cataclysm through its infrastructure. It might be random but even so, it underpins material reality literally across the entire universe.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
How would you even make a good Beast? How would you build that given the existing text?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The main thing with the God-Machine is that one of it's goals, if not the primary goal it has, is to continue existing, which means maintaining the status quo at all costs. Given how lovely the universe is, it's hard not to see that as a potential antagonist of some sorts. Maybe the Demons won't bring about something better, but that doesn't mean it has to be worse.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

How would you even make a good Beast? How would you build that given the existing text?

Make a regular Beast, then fill in all the health boxes with Aggravated.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Literally Batman?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pope Guilty posted:

I say this as the person who is currently reviewing beast. And has tried several times to 'fix' it in the past.

Don't.

You do not.

A moral beast is one that doesn't take the option to be devoured in the first place.

A moral beast is one who, if the devouring were forced upon themselves, would kill themselves so that their beast soul would be forced to wander alone and helpless.

There is nothing good about them, there is nothing about them that does good things. The text says what they do is good, but doesn't even try to offer up an idea of what "a world without beasts" would look like. Heroes are no longer tragic figures, they're just an endless stream of faceless assholes who exist to be killed by your sense of moral superiority.

It is not a game that deserves to be fixed, every time I read more about it I discover one more way that Matt slipped in one more thing to stick it to his critics.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kurieg posted:

A moral beast is one who, if the devouring were forced upon themselves, would kill themselves so that their beast soul would be forced to wander alone and helpless.

It seems like what you do is just stay at low satiety and feed only enough to stop your body from physically wasting away. Some people somewhere are going to have nightmares, but this is the World of Darkness.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If we're talking moral relativism, if you can get yourself up to 10 satiety your Horror just turns off and goes to sleep until you fill up your health boxes with lethal. But we're not. Beasts are not good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

Go full Godzilla: make a Beast that beats up other Beasts to show who's boss and stay King of the Monsters. And destroys those who damage the mortals too much (like the mutos).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I can't do it. They're too cuto

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You could just about make a 'good' Beast that doesn't reject the idea of the Hero's Journey, and flips the dynamic between monsters and the Primordial Nightmare on it's head. Rather than "Yeah, all you guys come from it too so that makes us family, but of course we come from it directly and that makes us the most special"? Acknowledge the far more likely point that the Primordial Nightmare is humanity's response to all the poo poo it's had to put up with over the years. Beasts are a purifying and uplifting force here, knowing that all the pain and torment they cause is towards the ultimate goal of making someone that can kill them. And if someone can kill them, think what a force for good they could be afterwards? Call it a smush of new school Changeling and old school Hunter, where instead of going insane Hunters eventually have to help train their replacement and let themselves be eaten by a monster. Because it's the Wor....Chronicle of Darkness, you don't play the Hero that results from the process, or even the one marching to their death. You play the monster, embodying the folkloric nightmares and fears of humanity. You enact ritualized terror and violence against people, because the story of how you overcome adversity requires some actual adversity.

You'd still have the room for that moral ambiguity that they like [Because your job is still brutalizing people], but at least there would be a reason for it. You could still be the crossover splat, because it makes it easy to know what your justification for doing it all is. Yeah, maybe you are an rear end in a top hat, but at least you are trying to make the world a better place. Those guys are crazy. If you try to go off book and do things not related to eating someone's family or writing creepy messages in their bedroom with their puppy's blood while they sleep? Things like, I don't know, just directly killing the other monsters out there? You deny your role in the narrative, and become weaker and weaker. You are the monster. You can't save people. All you can do is help them save themselves. So either you nut up and do terrible things so that someone else has the power to deal with all the worse things that are out there, or you don't....and there are still terrible things out there, and nobody equipped to deal with them.

And even then it steps on a bunch of toes of new Hunter and it can still be problematic, but I guess that take would use a lot of the themes present in current Beast in a way that doesn't make me want to kill myself rather than play it. That's really the best I can imagine with the material they present. I could just about bend it into something that doesn't make me actively stab myself.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I haven't actually read Beast but from the way people talk about it sounds vaguely like Fable with the addition of the "poo poo magnet" mechanics of Promethean / Mummy.

I mean as far as using mechanics to "naturalize" classic stories I'd consider anything beyond Promethean's cannibalization of Frankenstein to be redundant. One day I'll play Promethean, I suppose.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I haven't actually read Beast but from the way people talk about it sounds vaguely like Fable with the addition of the "poo poo magnet" mechanics of Promethean / Mummy.

I mean as far as using mechanics to "naturalize" classic stories I'd consider anything beyond Promethean's cannibalization of Frankenstein to be redundant. One day I'll play Promethean, I suppose.

What game has been played more: Wraith or Beast?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Clutch's Behold the Colossus is what Beast should have been.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean that's what mages say, but they're the ones reworking reality to their whim in a bid for ever more power so I never took them saying it very seriously.

In my games at least it's pretty much always good intentions ---> mild amounts of progress ----> hubris, bitches o gently caress everything is terrible.

But maybe I suck and am dumb.

Shee-it I haven't played Mage in forever. I need to run some Mage.
This doesn't strike me as anything particularly unique to Mages compared to humans in general, though.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Idk how it necessarily compares with the other lines in terms of "net good" but the extent of Demon's existential horror seems to stem from the possibility that all the hosed up poo poo that the God Machine does is (literally) necessary evil. Sure, there are pacts and cover and all the things that mess up human bystanders but none of it realy compares to the things that the GM is doing all the time everywhere.

I guess in retrospect it's all a clever literalization of the esoteric question of theodicy.
Aren't Demons second place behind Mages in the "Can just loving go chill out somewhere and at least not make things worse" sweepstakes? They'll need to maintain their Cover but if it's good enough they can just relax and enjoy feeding pigeons in the park or whatever.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's possible, yeah - Tempter Agendas typically revolve around fleeing from the God Machine. BUT you'll always be in danger. Every demon you know is a thread that the GM could trace back to you. The GM has a tendency to build infrastructure in places that are a little too close for comfort. It may get to the point where hunter angels are sent. And to maintain unassailable human cover you can't use any of your powers for any reason, even to protect loved ones.

Once you're in the trade, you're in for life. Too many have dirt on you, too many want use of your talents. Just when you thought you were out...

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 29, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can't vampires just feed on cattle and stuff? I mean that's how I would play my guy whenever I have thought about getting into Vampire. I mean I know you can't if you are too into the supernatural, but you could always just nap it off.

Just being a mekhet bookshop owner who looks into the occult and goes to have a quick drink from the cows that live nearby seems pretty unobjectionable to me. No more than having a burger anyway.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I like to think there's a lot of very old gangrel in both versions of the WoD that no one ever really noticed are out there, just chilling in the middle of nowhere eating their herds of goats/cows/whatever, watching the stars and loving with sleep-deprived shepherds, and taking the odd nap for a decade or three. Just farmers getting frustrated at why, for some strange reason, their herds never seem to be as fat as the next farm over's. Then the 90s happen and one of those farmers calls a radio show to blame the chupacabra and ruins it for everyone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I say this as the person who is currently reviewing beast. And has tried several times to 'fix' it in the past.

Don't.

You do not.

A moral beast is one that doesn't take the option to be devoured in the first place.

There is nothing good about them, there is nothing about them that does good things. The text says what they do is good, but doesn't even try to offer up an idea of what "a world without beasts" would look like. Heroes are no longer tragic figures, they're just an endless stream of faceless assholes who exist to be killed by your sense of moral superiority.

It is not a game that deserves to be fixed, every time I read more about it I discover one more way that Matt slipped in one more thing to stick it to his critics.

There are elements that are salvageable, but they're basically details and not main ideas. The dynamic between a Beast and the Hero is something that could be preserved, just as how Beasts are tied to whatever the Primordial Nightmare is. Even the crossover friendly relationship is something that can be preserved as a concept. What Beasts do and why is something that would be jettisoned almost wholesale, however and that's pretty much the crux of the matter.

Ostensibly, it would be possible to make Beast something closer to what Geist should've been in that Beasts were originally ordinary people, but then something inside them awoke and they became Beasts. That thing inside hungers and wants to feed. The host may be willing or unwilling however, but ultimately the thing that awoke is a corrupting influence and starts to render any good deed in service of their hunger into nothing more than selfish desire. The concept is one where the players would be playing amoral or semi-amoral characters, ultimately doing good or, inevitably bad things for all of the wrong reasons. It's a neat concept, but it would make for a terrible play experience for most people as a result. The types who would enjoy it would likely be people I probably wouldn't want to play with.

Giving Beasts a form of salvation in this case would undermine the concept, especially depending on why the "Nightmare" exists. If it's meant to empower humanity through overcoming, then it makes the players aware of the fact that, at the end of the day, they're meant to lose and that they're meant to fall. That, in itself is also another good narrative hook, but it's a poor hook for players I think.

Edit: I think everyone who care about fixing Beast probably has their own differing ideas about how to fix Beast and as what level the original concept should be preserved. IMO, every Beast would have a Hero and those Heroes would always grow in strength as the Beast grows. How the Beast sees its prey influences the relationship with its Hero (i.e. they both be part of its X or Y splat). The Beast can also never die unless it's by the hands of their corresponding Hero, but a Hero can always die through any means. That Hero will inevitably be replaced by another and another until the Beast is slain by their Hero's hand. What a Beast feeds on should also be up to the player, and, to connect it to the realm of Pandemonium (as it seems to be), non-physical. It can have a physical manifestation like blood or ectoplasm, but it would be something more metaphysical that the Beast ultimately feeds on. Additionally, they wouldn't just be limited to fear or secrets or stuff like that. Beasts would be all-consuming and willing to devour anything to sate its Hunger. This would tie into crossover play where Beasts benefit from following other splats around and learning how to consume what those splats do to make their own feeding or hunting more efficient or effective (a Z-splat in a sense). Alternatively, they could hunt the other splats as they would be loaded with the same metaphysical energies that they might hunt for and consuming those entities would do the same.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 29, 2016

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Boogaleeboo posted:

Because it's the Wor....Chronicle of Darkness

This reminded me that there's a fairly amusing copy+paste error in the CofD rulebook. It says that "The Chronicles of Darkness is much like our own."

Josef bugman posted:

Can't vampires just feed on cattle and stuff? I mean that's how I would play my guy whenever I have thought about getting into Vampire. I mean I know you can't if you are too into the supernatural, but you could always just nap it off.

Just being a mekhet bookshop owner who looks into the occult and goes to have a quick drink from the cows that live nearby seems pretty unobjectionable to me. No more than having a burger anyway.

It's technically possible, but the Vampire system, society and lore is geared towards make this difficult at best. For starters, they're basically blood junkies. Feeding exclusively on animals is kind of like giving up heroin for salads. Then there's the fact that sooner or later you will Frenzy, which will in turn damage your Humanity, which will make you that much less interested in continuing to fight your nature. Your nocturnal habits are suspicious all on their own so sooner or later you'll probably attract attention that you have to deal with - or else retreat from human society altogether, which makes it that much harder to stay connected. Plus you have the same problem as demons in that there's no opting out; there are plenty of ancient vampires with far less noble intentions than you, and they're going to use you as a pawn whether you like it or not. Your only hope of being left alone (with the possible exception of loving off into the wilderness and becoming a goat herder) is to become so powerful that people have to respect your wishes, but to do that you have the play the game you were trying to get away from.

Think of it like this: how often do you give in to temptation? You've probably done it a couple of times just today; had a donut for no reason, bought a new sourcebook instead of a new shirt, spent 45 minutes on SomethingAwful instead of doing the dishes. Now imagine if each of those temptations was an earth-shattering, heroin addict-level need and giving in meant cracking someone over the head with a baseball bat. That's basically what it's like to be a vampire.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The difference, I suppose, is that having the donut is not hurting anyone but yourself.

That and, more than likely, wouldn't it be possible to just not get involved in the whole business of vampire society? I mean it need not necessarily be all "bwhahaha" dracula level of stuff. That and, well, I'd not see the point of playing the game if all its going to be is "Your a horrible creature, suck it up or go face the sun". Its more interesting, to my mind at least, to be able to play someone who genuinely does not want to hurt people and works to make sure they don''t than it is to go "you are going to get ground down and its only a matter of time". Mainly because whilst the latter could be true I wouldn't really want to play as that.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Josef bugman posted:

The difference, I suppose, is that having the donut is not hurting anyone but yourself.

That and, more than likely, wouldn't it be possible to just not get involved in the whole business of vampire society? I mean it need not necessarily be all "bwhahaha" dracula level of stuff. That and, well, I'd not see the point of playing the game if all its going to be is "Your a horrible creature, suck it up or go face the sun". Its more interesting, to my mind at least, to be able to play someone who genuinely does not want to hurt people and works to make sure they don''t than it is to go "you are going to get ground down and its only a matter of time". Mainly because whilst the latter could be true I wouldn't really want to play as that.

That's what Vampire is, though. More than any of the other splats it's a game about being a monster, a game where the horror comes not from what you encounter, but from what you become. You can try to be a good person, but it's hard work. Really hard work. The only thing the average person has to do in order to be decent is to not go out of their way to be a dick. Even then, when they are being a dick it's usually nothing worse than hurting someone's feelings. Vampires are not average people; they're more akin to alcoholics or career criminals. Even if you stay clean for 20 years, there's always a chance you'll hit a bumpy stretch and fall off the wagon again. The question then is whether you dust yourself off, apologize to whomever you landed on and get back on, or resign yourself to life in a ditch. That's the big question Vampire asks: can you be a good person, knowing you'll hurt people again? Knowing that, do you even want to be a good person? This notion of a constant, grueling, nigh-impossible struggle to keep from becoming a complete monster is at the very core of the Vampire experience, and as such it's woven into almost every part of the game from it's mechanics to its mythos. Your peaceful cow eater concept is deliberately made borderline impossible because giving players the ability to just opt out of all the things that are awful and disgusting about being a vampire rather undermines the whole concept of "personal horror". And if you don't like that, well...

Well then you don't have to play it like that, do you? I mean, I've been making a lot of absolute statements here but the beauty of an RPG is that it's open to modification and interpretation. Vampire is primarily meant to be a game about how Not Worth It immortality is when it comes at the price of being turned into an (un)living caricature of an abusive addict, but all it takes to turn it into a game about vegan vampire heroes deciding to give peace a chance is a change in attitude.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Josef bugman posted:

You can play a 'harmless' vampire. It's totally possible.

You will be actively giving up avenues of easy power and feeding. It will be hard on you. You will have trouble and temptation, but you can resist it. You have to walk a knife's edge, you have to fight your Beast at every step, but you can do it. You can be the good guy. You can choose not to drink human blood, to keep your Blood Potency down, to make sure you feed often enough to never risk hunger frenzy, to forgo nasty powers like Majesty and Dominate that abuse your relationship with others and destroy their consent.

You can do all these things.

Vampire's just not going to pretend it's either easy or the path you are naturally inclined towards.

E: It's also not going to reward you for it. Your reward for doing it is you're the good guy.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I kind of wish that there was some Blood Potency-based cap on the total points of Vitae you could get from animal blood per week, and that the math was such that even a fledgeling needed to bite at least a couple people a month to get by.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The largest problem with being a vampire is the double whammy of simply not being able to act like a person anymore, and then being forced to deal with loving vampires all the time. The sheer abyss that forms between you and everyone else when you can't just go sit across from another person at a table in the morning morning and shoot the poo poo over coffee and breakfast or something, go to the majority of the big events [Weddings, showers, graduations, hell even the number of events that go into the night that start in the day will leave you the guy 'always running late' at best], the inability to hold down most normal jobs, having to jump through crazy hoops to fulfill some appointments [Jury duty, government's true vampire killer], on and on......it's pretty insurmountable. You pretty much can't be what you were.

That's dehumanizing as is, but the real kicker? The only people that might understand you are raving psychotics. Fully half of them are focused on outright being monsters. Like Jesus, you only have to drink blood, what is this scourge of God bullshit? Haven't we skipped like nine steps? Yeah, scary beast, makes us flip out, not that big a deal. Keep fed, don't go to any fire dances, keep focused, you'll keep it in line far more often than not. It shouldn't have to be this hard. But odds are you'll end up popping a keg of hobo rear end and asking Siri how to dispose of a corpse within 5 years, and not because of the innate mechanics of being a vampire. Because you can't be a person, and the only thing everything *will* let you be is a monster.

Fittingly for Vampire, the problem is socialization rather than mechanics. If you could just find some people that accepted what you were and dealt with it as a problem, you could get a handle on it. It wouldn't be without risk, but life wasn't without risk to begin with. Maybe you need to drink blood from people to help keep centered, but you can still mitigate that. It's the World of Chronicles, or something, if you can't find someone to let you drink their blood you probably aren't trying. Hell, walk too close to a radio playing AFI at night and someone will probably just spontaneously offer you blood. Maybe you don't take it straight from the vein, reduce the risk of you going bite happy and killing someone. Even if you can't keep a handle on it, you still get to choose how you give in. Maybe you channel your inner rage into feeding off other vampires. There's enough of the bastards you could live a long life without ever killing them all off. The thing inside you really doesn't care how you indulge it, it just wants the attention.

tl/dr: The horror of Vampire isn't that someone turned you into a monster: It's that someone turned you into a vampire, and now the world wants you to be a monster. And nobody stands against the world easy, or for long.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 29, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The risk of being Vampire Dexter and only eating other vampires, of course, is that either you're getting blood bonded because you're not killing them or you are literally devouring their immortal souls.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Having played some long term Vampire games, it's really hard to be a harmless Vampire. Intentionally so. If you only feed on animals, you have to drink a quarter of a cow or half a dog every night, and that's just not sustainable unless you live near a battery farm or something. A whole large rat will do, so if you're really good at sewer diving and live in New York or London or something you can probably survive on rats alone - but at that point you're spending an hour or two a night, every night, sewer diving just so you can drink the blood of a rat. What kind of way to live is that? Okay, so you choose to feed on humans but still only take the one vitae you need to rise every night. That's about a pint of blood from a person, every night. 365 pints of blood a year, per vampire. And that's if you never, ever use any of your other abilities or get wounded. Onyx Path, bless them, have clearly sat down for a long time and schemed their way into ensuring that you're tempted to burn blood at every possible moment. There were nights in the Ordo Dracul campaign where every member of the party burned through their entire blood pool twice over. There were nights where we got into a slapfight with someone who could do aggravated damage, and so needed about fifty vitae to avoid going into torpor that morning. Those were the nights people died - it's a -2 per additional person you want to feed from in 1 hour, and nights aren't that long when you have other stuff to do, and you can only really take 3 max from one person before they need to go to hospital like, now. It's honestly easier (or you can justify it to yourself) to just find and completely drain a hobo rather than putting the lives of half a dozen people at risk.

That's the other thing as well: frenzy. If you miscalculate your blood expenditure or stop thinking about it or forget to feed one evening, there's a very real chance that you'll horribly kill the next person you feed on. Keeping your blood supply topped up safely requires feeding little and often and that's a) risky and b) takes time. Vampires are surprisingly busy.

This is a far cry from the oWoD Vampire game I was in where we literally stacked up fifty unconscious people like firewood in our Doom Fortress and casually drained them whenever we needed another hundred blood points to do some more Temporis. Or the time we drained a big pile of people, then grabbed and threw nearby Ventrue into a wood chipper to spray their vitae all over the pile of dead bodies to do a mass Embrace. Paths of Morality and powers that don't usually require blood expenditure mean you can get away with a lot more stuff.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Josef bugman posted:

You can get by for a lifetime doing this but eventually your blood potency will rise and you can't.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

spectralent posted:

You can get by for a lifetime doing this but eventually your blood potency will rise and you can't.

Eventually it's Torpor time and now it's fifty years later and you can drink animal blood again but you have no loving idea what's going on with technology and society and now it's even harder...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Plus, no one's around to teach how to use touchscreens. You're the nice vampire. You didn't make any ghouls. You have to hope someone is going to be nice enough to teach you how, exactly, cell phones work without asking why you look like 27 and talk like 72.

E: 'Wait, why is Batman all grim and dark now? That's not what Batman is!' 'Uh-' 'WHAT DID YOU PEOPLE DO TO BATMAN?' 'Um' 'Tell me Superman's still the same. Faster than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a-' 'Which Superman?' 'what'

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 29, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Plus, no one's around to teach how to use touchscreens. You're the nice vampire. You didn't make any ghouls. You have to hope someone is going to be nice enough to teach you how, exactly, cell phones work without asking why you look like 27 and took like 72.

E: 'Wait, why is Batman all grim and dark now? That's not what Batman is!' 'Uh-' 'WHAT DID YOU PEOPLE DO TO BATMAN?' 'Um' 'Tell me Superman's still the same. Faster than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a-' 'Which Superman?' 'what'

Maybe my all-time favorite character from the Clanbooks is the classic SF nerd Gangrel who's just out of torpor and is totally open to "IT'S THE FUTURE AND TECHNOLOGY IS SUPER-ADVANCED!" but nothing quite works like he thinks it should.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

You know what I think bothers me the most about Beast's half-hearted "teaching lessons" fix, is that when you torture someone they don't learn poo poo, they just get traumatized and probably have severe mental and emotional issues for the rest of their life. The idea that you're "teaching them a lesson" by doing these things to people is actually more offensive than just doing it because you wanted to.

Sorry I wandered back a topic but this is still bothering me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gilok posted:

You know what I think bothers me the most about Beast's half-hearted "teaching lessons" fix, is that when you torture someone they don't learn poo poo, they just get traumatized and probably have severe mental and emotional issues for the rest of their life. The idea that you're "teaching them a lesson" by doing these things to people is actually more offensive than just doing it because you wanted to.

Sorry I wandered back a topic but this is still bothering me.

Adding in the 'teaching lessons' thing basically actually made Beast worse because it sounds an awful lot like 'And now she'll know not to burn the pot roast again!' or 'It's good for a kid to take a few knocks, it'll toughen him up.'

Basically, it brings them even closer to real world abusive behavior and makes the little bastards more disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

Plus, no one's around to teach how to use touchscreens. You're the nice vampire. You didn't make any ghouls. You have to hope someone is going to be nice enough to teach you how, exactly, cell phones work without asking why you look like 27 and talk like 72.

Clearly the solution is to be the secret vampire overlord of one of those historical recreationist sites. John Adams, embraced circa 1663, Secret Ventrue Overlord of Colonial Williamsburg and voted Most Historically Accurate Mayor for sixteen years running. Even if he only appears at night.

Which now makes me imagine a Vampire charity that sets up, behind the scenes of 'real' charities, more living history sites that operate 24/7 for old vampires who need a little time to 'adjust' after coming out of torpor.