Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's like when bears get their head stuck in value jars of peanut butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Horace-Noah posted:

Found this little gem in a box of marines I got for cheap. Taking the genestealer cult to the next level.

Try to find a set of genestealer arms and tack them on, I think he would look splendid.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Then paint them skin colours.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Paint 'em pink and BOOM Possessed marine, Slaanesh style

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I thought at first that was a straitjacket.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Arr! That's Handsome Pete; he dances for nickels.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

For anyone who doesn't know that an MLP high school AU exists:

Why would you make this a Slaanesh :psyduck:

Because bronies are weird gross perverts.

EDIT: Here's someone not following the an important rule of painting models:

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 23, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I wanted to start learning to paint minis on the cheap how would I go about doing it? Start with lovely plastic toy soldiers? I want to get back into the miniature hobby and I've never actually painted anything I own and I want to start.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Len posted:

If I wanted to start learning to paint minis on the cheap how would I go about doing it? Start with lovely plastic toy soldiers? I want to get back into the miniature hobby and I've never actually painted anything I own and I want to start.

Get a big pack of cheap white plastic spoons from the supermarket.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005

Len posted:

I've been trying to get into painting, and I've found my old Heroclix miniatures to be perfect for this. They're prepainted comic book figures with sculpts a little above plastic army men on round bases. I've been able to paint directly onto them (no primer) without issues. Plus, most of the old common figures can be had for around a quarter (okay, maybe 50 cents), even less if you pick up a bulk lot.

FlyFishinInnuendo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 23, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Len posted:

Grab some Reaper Bones minis. They are cheap as hell and you have a huge range of different types of minis available to paint. Decent enough quality too, especially for what you pay for them. You don't even need to prime them before you paint them, just give them a scrub with some warm water to get the releasing agent off and you are good to go.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Len posted:

GW has a kit if you want to get started, with their paints. I've found their paints to be pretty decent by and large, with a few exceptions. There's a video at the bottom of the page that shows you how to use the stuff; even if you don't end up buying this, it's a good watch to learn how to paint:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marines-Starter-Paint-Set-2016?_requestid=28478312

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Cross posting from the Warhammer Fantasy RIP thread.

KingFisher posted:

4th ed Archaon looked better:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Len posted:

Get a bottle of black, white, red, yellow and blue acrylic paints (£10 in UK for my personal favourite Vallejo Model Colour). A reasonable quality (don't buy a super expensive one until you're comfortable painting as it wont help at the early stages) size 0 brush or a 2 and a 0 if you want to base large areas of the same colour.

Vallejo Game Colour might be a better choice for starting out as they're harder wearing. In which case here's what I'd get:

Black,White,Red,Yellow,Blue, a cheap but effective brush and 5 Goblins to mess about with and change from £20. You can always add Green and Brown if you don't want to have to mix them each time. With those you can make any (non-metallic) colour until you're comfortable spending more, then just add in colours you use a lot.

Alternatively: http://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/paints-washes-etc/army-painter-warpaints/warpaints-starter-set
Will get you a brush and the main colours + 4 more and a wash (no idea on the paints though, but a few game companies seem to be putting out starter sets with their paints).

Or for £20 you could get one of the two GW starter sets with the base brush and 3 models but they do only contain 3ml paint pots vs the 17ml dropper bottles in the other brands. Also they're not great starter colour choices unless you want to paint an Ultramarine or gold Sigmar guy.

TLDR; buy the stuff in the image for starting out.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Army painter kit is what I started with and is pretty okay. The red and yellow are kind of thin on pigment so a bitch to get coverage on black with. The shades kit they also sell is good and will net you another bottle of strong tone as well as dark tone wash.

Compared to the cost one might inevitably sink into various minis buying a good brush sooner rather than later actually isn't a bad idea. I recently ponied up the whopping $25 for a W&N Series 7 size 1 and 0 and am a total convert. The degree of finer tip/control one gets let me shelf a bunch of smaller, cheap brushes. Of course having some cheap brushes you don't care as much about has its uses for drybrushing or larger work.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

darnon posted:

Compared to the cost one might inevitably sink into various minis buying a good brush sooner rather than later actually isn't a bad idea. I recently ponied up the whopping $25 for a W&N Series 7 size 1 and 0 and am a total convert. The degree of finer tip/control one gets let me shelf a bunch of smaller, cheap brushes. Of course having some cheap brushes you don't care as much about has its uses for drybrushing or larger work.

Totally agree that a series 7 is a nice step up, after I made the switch myself many years back and using the 7 for detail work my painting did improve a lot but I think earlier on it wouldn't have made much of a difference especially compared to a reasonable quality sable. The second part of your comment is another reason I recommend a cheaper brush to start with as it can be relegated to base coating/drybrushing etc.. later.

Even today I still only really dig out the series 7 for the last hour or so on a model as everything else I find much faster with my cheapo size 2 brush.

The brush I linked isn't too bad for its price, it's a sable and for the first few mini's will be fine for getting used to paint thicknesses, layering and highlighting etc.. and once it gets wrecked or replaced it'll work fine as a small drybrush or as a PVA spreader for basing.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Put your stuff in the oath thread each month and you will be eligible to randomly win a nice set of brushes from our beloved sponsor springer pinsel.

The point of the oath thread is to get people painting regularly and to learn/practice so don't worry if your stuff looks a bit sub par. It really is about the taking part.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Please drop link, I might rejoin next week. I having some infinity manz giving me the stinkeye.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717315&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

We are now in the final week of the season, but the whole thing starts over on May 1st. Each month has different challenges and there is a set of annual/monthly prizes that you can win by just taking part or by earning enough points over the year from regular oathing or judges points.

I'm a fairly average painter and have managed a couple of 3rd place monthly judge points so you don't need to be enviably good like a few of the participants manage to be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I placed an order for some brushes and found some of my old Urban War and Starship Troopers guys. I'm going to get the P3 faction sets from a friend who bought them and never opened them. Hopefully sometime next week I'll have something to post in this thread.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ugleb posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717315&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

We are now in the final week of the season, but the whole thing starts over on May 1st. Each month has different challenges and there is a set of annual/monthly prizes that you can win by just taking part or by earning enough points over the year from regular oathing or judges points.

I'm a fairly average painter and have managed a couple of 3rd place monthly judge points so you don't need to be enviably good like a few of the participants manage to be.

I might get back in depending on rules and/or my ability to actually be able to paint things in my current and future domiciles. If I hadn't relocated two years ago, I would've started to experiment with airbrushing, and would really like to do so again, but I fear I won't have any place to do so. Also, spray can primer might be right out as well; though maybe I can sneak up onto the roof of my apartment building when nobody is looking...

Seriously, though, I would love to get back to get back into this, especially with the Dropfleet Commander kickstarter due to ship within the next two months. But again, availability of a place to actually paint is an actual issue for me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here's some Battletech minis I painted when I was like... 8:

I'm a big fan of the patriotic Phoenix Hawk and the Wasp I wanted to look like Bumblebee. The third guy is unpainted but a... special sculpt on its own.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I can't not see the unpainted mini as a semi wearing a beanie and poofy sleeves.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That describes like 80% of Battletech minis so you're not wrong.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Here's some Battletech minis I painted when I was like... 8:

I'm a big fan of the patriotic Phoenix Hawk and the Wasp I wanted to look like Bumblebee. The third guy is unpainted but a... special sculpt on its own.

that middle one is a robotech. an anime. Explain yourself

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Herr Tog posted:

that middle one is a robotech. an anime. Explain yourself

So is the Wasp on the far left. In the 80s, they licenesed a bunch of mech designs from Robotech, but then the rights expired and they couldn't renew them. Because of this, they're "unseen" mechs and they don't make them anymore. There were some that were even more overt:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

So is the Wasp on the far left. In the 80s, they licenesed a bunch of mech designs from Robotech, but then the rights expired and they couldn't renew them. Because of this, they're "unseen" mechs and they don't make them anymore. There were some that were even more overt:

ha ha! Wonderful! Please post more!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SRM posted:

That describes like 80% of Battletech minis so you're not wrong.

It really bugs me that, AFAIK, there aren't any Battletech models based on MWO redesigns. So many of the original mech designs look like rear end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

SRM posted:

Isn't it a bit more complex than that? I was under the impression that Harmony Gold, who owned Macross, and FASA both licensed the designs from the same company. Or at least FASA thought they had. Harmony Gold have may been the exclusive holder and FASA had no idea it was infringing. This was fine for years until Harmony Gold caught wind of it, possibly because of FASA's own aggressive protection of the designs, and decided to put the legal boot to FASA. This lead to a years long legal dispute between FASA and Harmony Gold which FASA simply didn't have the money or expertise to deal with. In the end, it was easier to remove the designs from future publications.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Atlas Hugged posted:

Isn't it a bit more complex than that? I was under the impression that Harmony Gold, who owned Macross, and FASA both licensed the designs from the same company. Or at least FASA thought they had. Harmony Gold have may been the exclusive holder and FASA had no idea it was infringing. This was fine for years until Harmony Gold caught wind of it, possibly because of FASA's own aggressive protection of the designs, and decided to put the legal boot to FASA. This lead to a years long legal dispute between FASA and Harmony Gold which FASA simply didn't have the money or expertise to deal with. In the end, it was easier to remove the designs from future publications.

Also for some reason they didn't just redesign the robots so there are a bunch of semi-popular mechs that just aren't allowed artwork anymore

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also for some reason they didn't just redesign the robots so there are a bunch of semi-popular mechs that just aren't allowed artwork anymore

This is half-true. Some of them did get new designs and others got an updated version with new stats in Project Phoenix. So I have mechs that are technically in the Warhammer and Phoenix Hawk families that aren't the "classic" Warhammer or Phoenix Hawk. But unless you're playing with the groggiest of grogs, you can point at your mech that is basically a Warhammer and say, "This is a Warhammer, not a Warhammer IIC" and no one will give a poo poo.

I actually like these designs better than the originals.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Improbable Lobster posted:

It really bugs me that, AFAIK, there aren't any Battletech models based on MWO redesigns. So many of the original mech designs look like rear end.

I don't know why they haven't gotten Warlord or Prodos or one of the bajillion other miniatures companies around to make new mech models based on the designs from MWO and the like. All the existing models are these blocky old chunky dudes, even the newer plastics.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This isn't really a bad conversion. I mean, unless you've got a problem with chopping up a $60 unreleased prototype figure.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Atlas Hugged posted:

You do not want to get into that can of worms.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Kwyndig posted:

You do not want to get into that can of worms.

Yeah from a bit of googling it seems a lot of it is hearsay and rumors stitched together from contradicting insider statements and legal documents.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SRM posted:

I don't know why they haven't gotten Warlord or Prodos or one of the bajillion other miniatures companies around to make new mech models based on the designs from MWO and the like. All the existing models are these blocky old chunky dudes, even the newer plastics.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

moths posted:

This isn't really a bad conversion. I mean, unless you've got a problem with chopping up a $60 unreleased prototype figure.

I'm just glad that they didn't decide to model clunge into that thigh gap.

Also, is it bad that I want the figure that that head came from? It's the DE codex head, right?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

Also, is it bad that I want the figure that that head came from? It's the DE codex head, right?
It's the Dark Eldar Archon head and it's awesome.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

What's the unreleased model? Kruellagh the Vile (still my favorite 40K special character name :colbert:)

EDIT: Oh, wait, Kruellah the Vile did get a model, didn't she? Then what's the unreleased one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006