Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

paywalled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pomp posted:

eat the rich

this is California, duder. Extract their fluids.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Funding for Fremen-style deathstills might make for a good ballot proposition.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Logan's Run-style palm crystals, except they start blinking when your net worth gets over $1m.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/breaking-news/ci_29782971/what-drought-blackhawk-orders-homeowners-green-up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

Ron Banducci, president of the Blackhawk Homeowners Association, said his group isn't insisting on new lawns, but gives homeowners a choice to install low-water use landscaping in brown or bare areas.

So in other words, the media headlines are blatantly false and this HOA is just telling people to clean up and maybe plant some drought-tolerant plants or do some xeriscapign or whatever.

Still busybody HOA horsecrap, but not exactly "waste a bunch of water or else."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

For the duration of the water emergency it is illegal for associations to tell homeowners "Either green up the lawn or xeriscape." Otherwise, people would look at the costs of the fines to run the water versus the costs of xeriscaping, and pick the one that's bad for the state.

SF Chronicle posted:

But enough is enough, declared the Blackhawk Homeowners Association, which issued a letter to residents saying that, as of June 1, “beautiful landscaping” will again be required. Residents should keep a healthy lawn, it said, or hire a contractor to rip the grass out in favor of drought-tolerant landscaping. The letter, which expresses concern about property values, is an example of how some exclusive enclaves have grown weary of the drought’s assault on aesthetics, especially after some decent El Niño rains.

The edict, though, may be illegal or at least unenforceable under the drought emergency declared by Gov. Jerry Brown and a 2014 law written by Assemblywoman Nora Campos, D-San Jose, who said homeowners’ associations “shouldn’t punish people who are doing the right thing.”

“The Board is initiating aggressive enforcement of the landscaping standards,” stated Mark Goldberg, Blackhawk’s community manager, in a March letter to the gated community’s 9,354 residents.

In case folks doubted his seriousness, he threatened fines and even litigation if people do not comply with the order.

“It is no accident that Blackhawk is widely viewed as the premier community in the East Bay, and it is the responsibility of all residents to maintain that reputation,” wrote Goldberg, who declined to be interviewed. “We believe there is no longer any reason that all landscaping in the community cannot flourish as it once did.”

It was, to some residents, a surprising declaration given that state water resources officials have not declared the drought over.

Under Campos’ legislation, homeowners’ associations cannot fine residents for cutting back on watering or require them to replace their lawns or overhaul their landscaping during a state or local drought emergency. Gov. Brown also signed an executive order in 2014 that prohibits homeowners’ groups from fining members for brown lawns.

David Rose, an attorney for the State Water Resources Control Board, said his agency or the local water supplier can issue fines of up to $500 a day to homeowners’ associations that violate the prohibition.

But there are caveats, according to James McCormick, an attorney in Encinitas (San Diego County) who specializes in homeowners’ association regulations. He said the groups can still fine residents for breaking rules on unsightly vegetation as long as the problem doesn’t have anything to do with water.

“The nuance (in the law) has to do with homeowners who are using the statute simply not to maintain their lawns,” he said.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
It seems like they have a loophole with this:

quote:

But there are caveats, according to James McCormick, an attorney in Encinitas (San Diego County) who specializes in homeowners’ association regulations. He said the groups can still fine residents for breaking rules on unsightly vegetation as long as the problem doesn’t have anything to do with water.

The HOA could pull the lawn care equivalent of "I didn't fire him because he's black, I fired him because he didn't fit in".

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Gann Jerrod posted:

It seems like they have a loophole with this:

The HOA could pull the lawn care equivalent of "I didn't fire him because he's black, I fired him because he didn't fit in".

I read that as "they can still be fined if they don't rip out their dead brown lawns and replace them with native plant landscapes."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just got my voter information packet for the primary. These candidate statements are something else! Reminds me of the gubernatorial recall.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One dude is basically links his website.

And some chick is all 'I run for righteous God'

:allears:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I found my candidate:

I'm a single-issue voter and that issue is satellite-based mind control slavery.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Litany Unheard posted:

I found my candidate:

I'm a single-issue voter and that issue is satellite-based mind control slavery.

I wonder if this is her http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-court-of-appeal/1373407.html

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Votesmart.org has Civil Environmental Engineer listed under her professional experience, so yeah, probably her.

She's obviously a very passionate person and will make a great Senator.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I personally like the one with binary.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi is on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Hopefully she gets poo poo-canned.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Litany Unheard posted:

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi is on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Hopefully she gets poo poo-canned.

Yeah, hopefully. On the other hand, if the only action taken is firing her and not addressing the rampant corruption at UC's administrative level then it's just going to be another opportunistic CEO-type chancellor that's doesn't work for the interest of students.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Aardvark posted:

I personally like the one with binary.

Anybody have more than one byte? All I have is a lower-case "e" in ASCII.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
SB 10 would allow undocumented civilians to purchase Covered CA plans. It's currently heading to Assembly Appropriations committee, as it just passed the Health Committee.

http://stateofreform.com/issues/access-issues/2016/04/assembly-health-committee-vote-sb-10-allow-undocumented-buy-covered-ca-plans/

If you're Assembly Member is in appropriations, please call.

Here are the committee members

http://apro.assembly.ca.gov/membersstaff

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
That's a very difficult piece of legislation. Undocumented individuals are not subject to the mandate (no penalty for not having coverage), and are not eligible for subsidies, meaning they would not be eligible for a discount on premiums, deductibles, or co-pays. It's pretty clear the people that would utilize expanded eligibility would be largely high-risk, high-cost individuals in need of expensive medications or procedures at a much higher level than the rest of the Covered CA risk pool, which is already precarious or at best still mostly unknown. You may remember there was a brief movement to allow pregnancy to be a Qualifying Life Event for special enrollment in California - that was quickly squashed when people realized the costly effects to other members. I believe this will ultimately meet the same fate.

California may very well one day be able to secure medical coverage for all residents regardless of lawful presence, and I believe that would be a great thing. However, given the fragile nature of the ACA and state exchanges especially, I don't think even a strong marketplace such as Covered California is on firm enough ground for this type of expansion, not yet anyway.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Just out of curiosity, what would statewide single-payer look like, and could we achieve it before my lovely joints start giving up on me?

I know it's a pipedream, humor me please.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Just out of curiosity, what would statewide single-payer look like, and could we achieve it before my lovely joints start giving up on me?

I know it's a pipedream, humor me please.

Probably similar to Medicare.

Keep in mind though that health care costs are rising mostly because of the providers, not the insurance companies.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Bay Area home owners tell newcomers, poor to commute 90 miles one-way.

quote:

Amid record-high housing prices, a sturdy economy and brisk hiring, a new poll released Thursday shows that by a strong majority -- 60 percent -- residents prefer that housing be built not in the crowded nine-county region but outside the Bay Area in places such as Yolo County, San Joaquin County and San Benito County.

I like the use of loaded language: crowded.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So glad to escape the Bay Area this week, it's a really strange place that's becoming increasingly unlivable each year due to issues such as traffic and ridiculous cost of living.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
FYGM is to be expected from Bay Area Conservatives but the amount of cognitive dissonance Bay Area Liberals have regarding holding simultaneous political stances on helping out the poor and preventing housing development is amazing. They are incredible hypocrites.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jesus.

quote:

The poll also found that more than one-fourth of all Bay Area residents are spending at least 45 percent of their household income on housing -- well above the recommended range of 30 percent to 35 percent.

For people making less than $50,000 a year in household income, according to the poll, more than two fifths are spending at least 45 percent of their household income on housing. One-third of the people who generate household income ranging from $50,000 to $100,000 a year spend at least 45 percent of their income on housing.

Even for those with a household income ranging from $100,000 to $150,000 a year, more than one-fourth reported spending at least 45 percent of their income on housing, the poll stated.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Maybe this means people will move to the valley...

not

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

silence_kit posted:

FYGM is to be expected from Bay Area Conservatives but the amount of cognitive dissonance Bay Area Liberals have regarding holding simultaneous political stances on helping out the poor and preventing housing development is amazing. They are incredible hypocrites.
The BART strike a couple of years ago was really clarifying in that regard. All these Oh-So-Liberal types suddenly becoming club wielding Pinkertons at the very thought that their commute might take a little more time for a few days. So much "I'm usually a supporter of unions, BUT...".

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Bay Area liberals are some of the most classically conservative people I've ever met.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they are all east coast trustfunders too - they used to only be drawn to the SF Marina district now they are everywhere.

my dumb Sac to SJ Amtrak is at India levels crowding now. Get hosed Bay Area! oh wait :suicide:

The bullet train from SF to Fresno is clearly the answer, upgrading an already existing Sac to SJ line is not exciting enough.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 29, 2016

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
NIMBY assholes are everywhere. My quaint little town outside LA just blew up a mixed use medium density housing development deal next to a god drat train stop that's been in the works for 10 years because they were worried about people who could "only" afford 1.5K in rent per month overloading the school district with their brown children. It's absolutely disgusting. Not to mention the aversion to building up in Hollywood recently.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
At least one neighborhood in the South Bay is taking steps to address the housing crisis.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

NIMBY assholes are everywhere. My quaint little town outside LA just blew up a mixed use medium density housing development deal next to a god drat train stop that's been in the works for 10 years because they were worried about people who could "only" afford 1.5K in rent per month overloading the school district with their brown children. It's absolutely disgusting. Not to mention the aversion to building up in Hollywood recently.

Which city is that? One of the foothill towns that just got the Gold line?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

Eichler neighborhoods are unique, architecturally significant and iconic. Like all endangered species, they are so worth protecting."

Get hosed lady

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

redscare posted:

Which city is that? One of the foothill towns that just got the Gold line?

South Pasadena.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/business/20160114/will-residents-fight-this-potential-south-pasadena-development#disqus_thread

Update: The project is dead.

Look at these comments:

quote:

Belial Issimo • 3 months ago

I hope all of South Pasadena mobilizes against this vile idea before it is too late. It's too late for Pasadena, which has turned into a Manhattan-wannabe's wet dream.

Florian Geyer • 3 months ago

Pasadena made the mistake of requiring "inclusive housing" in its apartment projects. No one wants to live near the kind of trash that brings in.

These fuckers think PASADENA is too built up.

edit: And this is a community so liberal that half the residents were outraged that the Mayor held a Prayer Breakfast because they felt it was not inclusive. That's the latest scandal.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 29, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

Get hosed lady

someone has to protect the flat roof tar mopping/TPO membrane industry!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

The BART strike a couple of years ago was really clarifying in that regard. All these Oh-So-Liberal types suddenly becoming club wielding Pinkertons at the very thought that their commute might take a little more time for a few days. So much "I'm usually a supporter of unions, BUT...".

Lol. It's easy to be a "true liberal" when you're a six figure techie living in SF that walks to work or whatever. Sorry you don't think that BART isn't a critical piece of public infrastructure that should run regardless of if a BART janitor wants to make more money and get even better benefits than most commuters. A "little more time" makes it sound like they weren't loving over thousands of people by adding multiple hours to their commute times.

Also great idea making everything proprietary so we have to pay more for track and cars to upgrade this piece of poo poo system BART board! I guess we are too special to use the same train cars as everyone else .

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

fits my needs posted:

Lol. It's easy to be a "true liberal" when you're a six figure techie living in SF that walks to work or whatever. Sorry you don't think that BART isn't a critical piece of public infrastructure that should run regardless of if a BART janitor wants to make more money and get even better benefits than most commuters. A "little more time" makes it sound like they weren't loving over thousands of people by adding multiple hours to their commute times.

Also great idea making everything proprietary so we have to pay more for track and cars to upgrade this piece of poo poo system BART board! I guess we are too special to use the same train cars as everyone else .

Maybe the people who you rely on to get from A to B should be payed correctly since yall fall apart if they decide not too?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

someone has to protect the flat roof tar mopping/TPO membrane industry!

I grew up in an Eichler and I gotta say, they are beautiful houses, but goddamn was the roof poorly designed. My parents have been battling leaks since they bought the house. Also, bats get in fairly often.

fits my needs posted:

Why do you hate janitors?