Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Mikujin posted:

It wouldn't be MODO if new cards didn't break it: if players draw a game due to Triskaidekaphobia, while in an event. regardless of the final outcome of their match the game won't really end and it causes the event to stall out and get cancelled.

Truly the pinnacle of technological achievement.

Nah, it's not MODO until adding new cards causes old cards to break it. Have we had a card that previously worked stop working yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zemyla posted:

Nah, it's not MODO until adding new cards causes old cards to break it. Have we had a card that previously worked stop working yet?

Probably, we just don't know which ones yet!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hellsau posted:

So I managed to win enough at Pauper and drafting to buy into Legacy Miracles on MTGO. This deck is fantastic.

What Pauper deck are you running? My store does Pauper FNM once a month and I want more excuses to play Magic, especially for cheap.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Zemyla posted:

MMA blinding beam didn't work while at the same time previous versions did.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hellsau posted:

So I managed to win enough at Pauper and drafting to buy into Legacy Miracles on MTGO. This deck is fantastic.

Welcome to legacy, scum

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Hellsau posted:

How? I thought they nerfed everything that wasn't buying tickets directly from the modo store.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mikujin posted:

It wouldn't be MODO if new cards didn't break it: if players draw a game due to Triskaidekaphobia, while in an event. regardless of the final outcome of their match the game won't really end and it causes the event to stall out and get cancelled.

Truly the pinnacle of technological achievement.

:allears: Never change, modo.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
yo mcmagic....What's your SB plan like for GB Seasons Past?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I'm trying a new sideboard for my GB Aristocrats deck that features two Tainted Remedies. The only time I've ever lost with the deck was when my opponent had the ability to gain lots of life and prevent me from draining them out or it was a mirror match and this hoses both pretty well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

yo mcmagic....What's your SB plan like for GB Seasons Past?
Not too complicated You just need to try to grind with them till you can set up a big Fall of the Tiitans since they are usually going to get your World Breakers pretty early.
Out
4x Fiery Impulse
3x Kozilek's Return

In
3x Den Protector
3x Tireless Tracker
1x Pulse of Murasa

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love that Pulse of Murasa is a constructed playable card.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm trying a new sideboard for my GB Aristocrats deck that features two Tainted Remedies. The only time I've ever lost with the deck was when my opponent had the ability to gain lots of life and prevent me from draining them out or it was a mirror match and this hoses both pretty well.

I've heard Nissa, Voice is good as a mirror-breaker as well.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Life gain cards are given a bad rap because stereotypical new players value their life total too much.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

Life gain cards are given a bad rap because stereotypical new players value their life total too much.

Last night I overheard a guy who doesn't play much, but is in my magic friends group, say "I gained 5 life! Maybe buys me another turn!" after apparently casting Chaplain's Blessing. I didn't have the heart to talk to him about the value of a card at the time.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The best time to let them know not to play a certain card is when they're beating you, imo.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

odiv posted:

The best time to let them know not to play a certain card is when they're beating you, imo.

But I went 3-0 last night :smug:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The loop with Den Protector is a pretty big deal.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

God, I'm going to make the worst loving deck for Game Day. LGS doesn't have any recent singles. I only played the SOI pre-release. No idea what I'm going to play, but I have 4 Languish and 2 Jace so... probably some lame UB control deck.

Thing is, it's worth my time to enter because the meta is soft enough I have a decent shot at first no matter what I play. It's just painful putting a deck together that's like, GB aristocrats with one Lili and no Abbeys or the Rites.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Not too complicated You just need to try to grind with them till you can set up a big Fall of the Tiitans since they are usually going to get your World Breakers pretty early.
Out
4x Fiery Impulse
3x Kozilek's Return

In
3x Den Protector
3x Tireless Tracker
1x Pulse of Murasa

Interesting on the pulse. Can you jot down quick what you're running in the SB? I"m just using Nelson's list

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

God, I'm going to make the worst loving deck for Game Day. LGS doesn't have any recent singles. I only played the SOI pre-release. No idea what I'm going to play, but I have 4 Languish and 2 Jace so... probably some lame UB control deck.

Thing is, it's worth my time to enter because the meta is soft enough I have a decent shot at first no matter what I play. It's just painful putting a deck together that's like, GB aristocrats with one Lili and no Abbeys or the Rites.

If you build any half decent control I think you will have a decent shot for Game Day.

I'm playing mono white Humans, and instead of running 20 lands and an Archangel of tithes, I'm running 19 plains and 2 bygone bishops. It feels subpar.
Finding cards for trade at this time in the month is near impossible.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Out
4x Fiery Impulse
3x Kozilek's Return

In
3x Den Protector
3x Tireless Tracker
1x Pulse of Murasa

How do you beat orbs of warding? I'm curious so if I go against your deck I can handle it. I would think a recurring infinite obliteration and a resolved orbs would close the game out.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I was considering BW control since I top 2'd fnm last week with it and the only reason I didn't place first was because it was 12:30am and I had to be at work in 6 hours and my opponent didn't want to split.

But I have BG Rites together and I really really want to play that knowing full well every black deck will be running Kalitas main or side.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How do you beat orbs of warding? I'm curious so if I go against your deck I can handle it. I would think a recurring infinite obliteration and a resolved orbs would close the game out.

Yeah, I asked about this earlier in the week. Since the deck is known I kind of feel like some people may throw one in their side. I was thinking of running 2 Naturalize but not sure if it's worth it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

But I have BG Rites together and I really really want to play that knowing full well every black deck will be running Kalitas main or side.
Oh poo poo, I don't have any Kalitas either.

This is going to be the worst deck. I should post my list and a tourny report tomorrow.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Yeah, I asked about this earlier in the week. Since the deck is known I kind of feel like some people may throw one in their side. I was thinking of running 2 Naturalize but not sure if it's worth it.

Finkel ran one in his side from what I remember and I'm running a similar SB without the 3rd kalitas and with more clip wings. Curious how the goggles deck will handle it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Doesn't the World Breaker deal with that

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Doesn't the World Breaker deal with that

In turn, Infinite Obliteration does a good job of dealing with that :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Interesting on the pulse. Can you jot down quick what you're running in the SB? I"m just using Nelson's list

3x Naturalize
3x Den Protector
3x Tireless Tracker
1x Pulse of Murasa
2x Rending Volley
3x Jaddi Offshoot

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you can Obliterate my world breakers and get orbs down early you're probably going to win that game. I can't even bring Naturalize in against seasons past for a G3 since it's so dead against so much of that deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

C-Euro posted:

What Pauper deck are you running? My store does Pauper FNM once a month and I want more excuses to play Magic, especially for cheap.

U/B Teachings Combo (with Ghostly Flicker, Mnemonic Wall, and Chittering Rats for a lock alongside Mulldrifter and Sea Gate Oracles) is what I'm having the most success with. I also just jam leagues with other random decks,

Terrible Horse posted:

How? I thought they nerfed everything that wasn't buying tickets directly from the modo store.

I ground a bunch of play points doing Pauper leagues (and a few packs) and used the points to do the flashback drafts. I opened really well. Also having a City of Traitors that spiked to 55 tickets because lol MTGO helps.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Count Bleck posted:

It's time for Name That Card!

It's Talisman of Progress

I found a foil one!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I found a foil one!

gratz, trade it now

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Anyone else going to GP Toronto tomorrow? I'll be playing modern while bankrolling 2 standard players.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I realized I miscounted the number of lands in my standard B/W life gain deck and fixed it up to have a decent mana base and went from barely scraping by to crushing. I finished a match against a B/R burn deck tonight 203 life to -78 when I swung ~40 2/2 Lifelink tokens at him with an Alham's Archive out. :allears:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Hahahahahahahaha this deck is amazing.

Round 1 2-0 BW allies
This was a joke, but a fun game to ease into the deck

Round 2 1-2 mirror
He drew his pieces before me duress and transgress ripped my hand apart the games I lost, the game I won I did it to him instead.

Round 3 1-1 Abzan company
He wouldn't scoop first game and made me play it out and it took too long. Finished the second in turns. I started playing. A it faster after this.

Round 4 2-0 BW Aggro
My kill spells are fast than their creatures. Nissas renewal crushed this deck.

Round 5 2-0 BG Aristocrats
Resolving Kalitas finishes this game real quick. Sat on game two holding 2 clip wings and staring at s bunch of tokens on his side with Kalitas and a bunch of zombies in play. He couldn't pull the ormendahl tigger so I finally pulled a languish sacced everhing to Kalitas, forced him to make ormendahl and killed it then swung for 11 2 turns in a row.

All in all 4th place with a 3-1-1 record. Not bad for my first time out,

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Veteran Warleader has been a pretty solid Bant Company mirror-breaker. Having a Sylvan Advocate on the board to turn him on means you get a huge dude that can swing and pick between having first strike or trample according to how your opponents block such that whatever they do will be wrong, most Company decks don't have a permanent answer to a creature that is just much bigger than theirs, and it will end games in a few swings if they can't find a way to deal with it.

It's subject to a ton of variance and definitely not something to run four of, but it can be the best card in your deck in the right situation and it provides a potentially powerful tool that 3drop.dec wouldn't normally have access to.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Voyager I posted:

Veteran Warleader has been a pretty solid Bant Company mirror-breaker.

Probably a decent sideboard card for the mirror, yeah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Probably a decent sideboard card for the mirror, yeah.

Nah. The best mirror tech is Profaner of the Dead.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Nah. The best mirror tech is Profaner of the Dead.

Doesn't get in off Company. :haw:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm going to run mono-U Brain in a Jar for gameday, never played the deck before, what should I know about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So Gaby Spartz doesn't seem great.

• Locked thread