Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Somebody should remind FROM that we still have access to Great Nuclear Fire Orb. Is there any good news about these patches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Vermain posted:

It seems that Any% uses Astora's, whereas All Bosses uses Anri's. My guess is that you have to go out of your way to visit Archdragon Peak to get enough Twinkling Titanite to get Anri's to +4, hence why it's not efficient in Any% to use it.

Did you do any offline play before you started receiving that message? Some people have been reporting that they started receiving that message after going offline and moving things around in their item box or otherwise acquiring items that the server then picks up on the next time they log on.

By offline play, do you mean being shown as offline on Steam but still online, or playing offline without an Internet connection? I've done the former, just so notifications don't appear while I'm streaming. Never used the item storage whatsoever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

It seems that Any% uses Astora's, whereas All Bosses uses Anri's. My guess is that you have to go out of your way to visit Archdragon Peak to get enough Twinkling Titanite to get Anri's to +4, hence why it's not efficient in Any% to use it.

Did you do any offline play before you started receiving that message? Some people have been reporting that they started receiving that message after going offline and moving things around in their item box or otherwise acquiring items that the server then picks up on the next time they log on.

I feel so loving lucky that deciding to continue on and unlock the Purple Bros after getting booted to start due to steam maintenance in offline mode, didn't trigger this. It's kind of old news for Darksouls, but it's always disheartening to worry more about your legitimate gameplay or other wacky antics loving you over than you expect Actual Hackers to actually get caught by the same measures.

I have wobbly as hell USB ports, sometimes my controller hitches. Normally I don't pay it any mind, but now I'm all :tinfoil: over this game throwing a shitfit over input devices being iffy. Logically that wouldn't be an issue, but with some of the stuff you hear, yeesh.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Sooooo... umm....

How do you pull off backstabs? Like I can get behind a dude and press lb/r1/whatever, but it never "ticks" and just does a basic attack. Also, how do you parry attacks? Same issue where I will try and press rb/l1/whatever right before the enemy strikes, but my dude just flails his shield, nothing "ticks", and I end up getting hit.

Can you parry with swords 2-handed?

Also, what's so special about holding down left trigger with a 2H sword and having your guy do an attack in "stance" mode?

Praise the MOON!

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 29, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Sooooo... umm....

Absolutely none of that was spoiler worthy.

Praise the MOON!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Eh. It's a harder boss all things considered. I caught a couple of streams by hardcore souls vets and they couldn't beat her w/human summons at the right level consistently.

A lot of bosses this time around are particularly good at punishing a specific strategy, whether it's circle strafing close and left, hanging back at mid or hanging waaaaaay back at long range. When in doubt experiment until you find a sweet spot where the combos catch you less.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
The left stick needs to be centered (you can't be moving) for a backstab. Also there's no reason to spoiler any of that.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Brannock posted:

Sooooo... umm....

Absolutely none of that was spoiler worthy.

Praise the MOON!

Well yea

But it's a little embarrassing

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Avalanche posted:

How do you pull off backstabs? Like I can get behind a dude and press lb/r1/whatever, but it never "ticks" and just does a basic attack. Also, how do you parry attacks? Same issue where I will try and press rb/l1/whatever right before the enemy strikes, but my dude just flails his shield, nothing "ticks", and I end up getting hit.

Also, what's so special about holding down left trigger with a 2H sword and having your guy do an attack in "stance" mode?

Backstab by getting behind an enemy and holding R1.

Parrying is entirely timing-based. If it's not connecting, change your timing.

Depends on the weapon.

Stance Attacks have different properties based on what you're doing, and what your target is doing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brannock posted:

Nerfed: Great Chaos Fire Orb and Affinity

Japanese patch notes are notoriously terrible, it's not just Fromsoft

Affinity was nerfed? I hadn't exactly seen anyone singing its praises compared to great chaos fire orb.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How is Intellect casting at the start? I did my first playthrough as a dedicated faith user, and I think faith didn't stop feeling like completely wasted points until a fair bit after the point at which you can respec. I don't think I'd ever start a character as faith again versus respecing into it near the end of the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LibbyM posted:

How is Intellect casting at the start? I did my first playthrough as a dedicated faith user, and I think faith didn't stop feeling like completely wasted points until a fair bit after the point at which you can respec. I don't think I'd ever start a character as faith again versus respecing into it near the end of the game.

Bad

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Estoc is dumb and cheese

I love it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Affinity was nerfed? I hadn't exactly seen anyone singing its praises compared to great chaos fire orb.

It apparently did outsized damage for the FP invested, allowing you to frag bosses quickly. I think the reason no one really sang its praises is that getting a useful Affinity requires you to shoehorn yourself into using a grand total of four Sorceries, two of which are "Soul Arrow but it sorta tracks, kinda" and another one which is "a really bad Soul Greatsword."

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

Backstab by getting behind an enemy and holding R1.

You don't need to hold it.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

LibbyM posted:

Decent. Like an axe instead of a this games straight swords. It's a long way from the "I win" button of DS1. Expect to have all your ring slots taken by sorcery boosting rings.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The big thing is releasing your thumb from Lstick

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

NTT posted:

The big thing is releasing your thumb from Lstick

I push it up, 12 O'Clock style, and have never had issues.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A big thing is that the backstab window is not where the enemy's back is while they are attacking, it's where their back was facing when they started the attack. Even after 3 games, you can still backstab black knights from their chest when they do that 3/4ths ground pound spin attack thing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Avalanche posted:

Sooooo... umm....

Praise the MOON!

Parry is L2, the left trigger (assuming left hand shield). Also the shield has to actually be able to parry, check the description. It's also very timing heavy. Use a buckler.

The 'stance' does attacks with different effects, like shield breaking or whatever. I never actually used it, even when using the hollowslayer greatsword, so I don't know if it's worth using. Doesn't seem like it because you have to get into stance which takes a second and is very obvious.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mazerunner posted:

Parry is L2, the left trigger (assuming left hand shield). Also the shield has to actually be able to parry, check the description. It's also very timing heavy. Use a buckler.

The 'stance' does attacks with different effects, like shield breaking or whatever. I never actually used it, even when using the hollowslayer greatsword, so I don't know if it's worth using. Doesn't seem like it because you have to get into stance which takes a second and is very obvious.

Stance arts loving rule where applicable. For example, those greatshield using Cathedral knights get completely shut down when I Stance R1 them for a free Riposte, and charged R2 to finish them off as they get back up. Much more safe and reliable than trying to kick with the mule ring. Granted I was using a +2 Flamberge at the time, obviously a straight sword Stance attack won't do quite as much damage per riposte.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Has anyone made a website that lets you easily calculate how much vit you would need to stay under >30% equip load with various gear? Doing that ingame is a pain.

LibbyM posted:

Its not as bad as people say it is nowhere near as bad as faith's start. For one, you actually start with useful spells. So dealing damage from range can be done right out of the gate. However, from is a lot better at designing bosses that can punish ranged spam so it doesn't make the entire game easy mode anymore. You can still use your magic to cheese a fair number of encounters though.

Problem with magic is it starts okay, but pretty much stays that way for the whole game. You don't get any cool new spells to play with that are actually worth using until the very end. Soulsword and flashsword are the only non-utility spells you can buy that are worth a drat. I mean aside from heavy soul arrow and great heavy soul arrow, but those are just upgrades to your starting stuff. So sorcery can feel very underwhelming.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Has anyone made a website that lets you easily calculate how much vit you would need to stay under >30% equip load with various gear? Doing that ingame is a pain.

Almost. Fextralife has a calculator, but they don't have much in the way of equipment plugged in. It has some armor, but no weapons, for example.

It does however, tell you "You have X weight until Mid roll" and then "You have x weight until fat roll", followed by "you have X weight until no roll" with color coding. So at the very least you can give yourself some good estimates. I used it to eyeball what VIT I'd need for my preferred Dress up+all 6 weapon slots filled with certain things.

http://fextralife.com/calculator/dks3builds.html

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 29, 2016

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bobjr posted:

So Dragonslayer Armor took me more tries to kill than Nameless King and the final boss combined.

The difficulty in these games is so high that one mistake can cost you a fight, which creates a wide spectrum of experiences due to differences in stat allocation, weapons, armor, player experience, and dumb luck. People always have a boss they struggle with that others breezed through and vice versa. This game in particular has incredibly aggressive bosses but without the quickness of Bloodborne's combat, which is something I'm still adjusting to even at the very last boss.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Section Z posted:

Stance arts loving rule where applicable. For example, those greatshield using Cathedral knights get completely shut down when I Stance R1 them for a free Riposte, and charged R2 to finish them off as they get back up. Much more safe and reliable than trying to kick with the mule ring. Granted I was using a +2 Flamberge at the time, obviously a straight sword Stance attack won't do quite as much damage per riposte.

Oh, I was just thinking about pvp. You're right though that there's def some pve uses.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mazerunner posted:

Oh, I was just thinking about pvp. You're right though that there's def some pve uses.

I guard broke and riposted a guy with a broken sword.

Sure it did garbage damage, and sure I died after. But I did it :downs:

A lot of my "Hah! I survived the invasion!" moments where they don't run away to crystal out, have involved busting out stance arts really. The fact you don't have to commit to them, and that you have two art moves with distinct ranges seems to gently caress with standard issue invaders, at least.

I'm sure there are way better weapons and skills. But they have saved my rear end in both PvE and PvP, so I'm biased.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I just wish weapon arts were totally-not-a-trick-weapons-system. There's already so much little poo poo I look at that could have alt forms, the Farron GS especially makes me sad. I was watching one of my dudes play and they fought Abyss Watchers, so I finally got a good chance to really look at their moves and while you can do a chunk of the same stuff, they have a bunch of cool moves using the little wedge knife and I wanna do that too!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Sunbroing for pope, more hosts dead from the Knights outside than the pope

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kiggles posted:

Pretty much. All weapons are (roughly) created equal, given appropriate stats for the respective weapons, and that those weapons are sufficiently upgraded.

There are a few outliers that are just sort of underwhelming. Whips are usually really disappointing, but most every weapon class that is often a poor performer has something in there that can make it a viable weapon. So it isn't the generic whip, you can get away with a notched whip, leaning more on bleed and building stats around it.

Just an example. Rule of thumb is to find a weapon with a moveset you like, see if other weapons share the moveset, and pick one which better suits your stats, or build your stats accordingly. Fashion can be factored into this decision to a degree.

I'm doing a dex whip playthrough and have some thoughts about it. The regular whip is absolutely fantastic for swarms. The secondary attack clears them out at decent range, and a charged heavy one-shots trash mobs. It swings through walls, unlike most other weapons too. The whip takes a lot of getting used to fighting knights and NPC invaders though. You're much more reliant on kicking against knights, so I run the horse-hoof ring.

I have mixed feelings on the weapon art. It can stunlock, and the combo does instant damage at pointblank, but it only does slightly more damage than a light attack. I use it to finish enemies off. The art is decent against players since they have a hard time dodging it. It debuffs their stamina regen, lasts long enough to hit through rolls and does damage through shields.

The mobs I've had the most trouble with are grave wardens and the ninja skeletons. The wardens don't get stunned, and both they and the ninjas move faster than you can block and attack with a whip. I cheese them through geometry since the whip doesn't rebound on walls. Oh, and lizards were tricky to kill before I learned that the running heavy attack flips them over. The running heavy knocks most low poise NPCs down.

The notched whip is dreadful with pure dex. It's completely outdone by the regular whip. I'll give it a shot with luck and a hollow upgrade later. The spotted whip at +7 outperforms the regular whip with sharp upgrade at +8 with 38 dex. I switched and haven't looked back. It feels a little slower, but that could be my imagination. At 14 luck, I'm triggering poison on the winged hollows that take around 4-5 hits to kill, but it's so slow that it's irrelevant.

I've not tried the fire whip soul weapon yet.

PS. The Dancer fight is real silly with a whip. :whip::tutbutt:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 29, 2016

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Please tell me you have named yourself after a Belmont

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I read a post on Reddit and apparently bleed buildup isn't actually related to the bleed stat shown on the individual weapons (which is actually the % hp lost caused by bleed) but is a hidden stat determined on a per-weapon basis. And the guy doesn't want to tell anyone which weapons are good because he likes having a unique snowflake build :negative:

Why do these games have to have such good gameplay but lovely communication of mechanics to players?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Shoenin posted:

Please tell me you have named yourself after a Belmont

I didn't. :saddowns:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cosplay as Lautrec.

They never expect the Shotel.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay so.

There are probably more efficient ways to farm souls than cutting a bridge out from under like 30 skeletons.

But who cares.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What's a good weapon that's available early in all three Dark Souls games, so I can do a series of gimmick runs where I play the "same" character

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

What's a good weapon that's available early in all three Dark Souls games, so I can do a series of gimmick runs where I play the "same" character

Long Sword

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Longsword.

It's moveset is somewhat different in DS2 though. Most notably, In DS21/3, It's hard attack stabs one handed, slashes two handed. In DS2, it slashes 1 handed, stabs too handed.

Mace also works, if you don't want a straight sword.

EDIT: vvv I have been shamed by the one true equalizer :doh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I like it