Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-29/police-ramp-up-investigation-into-copying-of-peter-slipper-diary/7368154

Peter Slipper: Federal Police ramp up investigation into copying of former speaker's diary

quote:

Australian Federal Police (AFP) have ramped up their investigation into the copying of former speaker Peter Slipper's diary.
The ABC has been told the AFP has made an application to the Federal Court, which, if granted, would allow police to use evidence from an earlier civil case in a criminal prosecution.

That evidence includes text and picture messages exchanged between Mr Slipper's former staffer, James Ashby, and Liberal National Party MP Mal Brough.
Mr Brough is under investigation by the AFP, who executed a search warrant at his Queensland home last year as part of that probe.
Mr Ashby launched a sexual harassment suit against Mr Slipper in 2012.

During that case it emerged Mr Ashby had made copies of Mr Slipper's diary, which were then sent to Mr Brough and former News Limited journalist Steve Lewis, with the intention of using them to show Mr Slipper had misused his Government-issued Cabcharge vouchers.

Mr Brough unseated Mr Slipper as the member for the federal Queensland seat of Fisher at the 2013 election.

Mal Brough resigned from the front bench over his alleged involvement in the procurement of copies of Peter Slipper's diary.
Now the AFP has asked the Federal Court to grant it permission to use the material harvested from Mr Ashby's phone, including excerpts from Mr Slipper's diary sent by Mr Ashby to Mr Brough.
In its application, the AFP has said the messages will be used in the current investigation, and any subsequent prosecution.
Permission is necessary because the exhibits were originally only to be used in the civil case.

Mr Ashby's sexual harassment suit was rejected by a Federal Court judge, who said Mr Ashby had been part of a "combination" including Mr Brough, which had used the legal action as a political weapon against Mr Slipper.
Mr Ashby then appealed and the original judgement was set aside, but Mr Ashby later dropped the case.
However, it subsequently emerged the AFP is investigating whether Mr Brough committed a crime by encouraging Mr Ashby to copy pages of Mr Slipper's diary.
Mr Brough stood down from his role of Special Minister of State in December, saying he would not contest the upcoming federal election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hear that sound? That's Mal Brough making GBS threads himself.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
All you fuckers better be at the snap rallies that are happening soon. Disrupt traffic just for the graics and lc's in the country. The guy died at the rbh earlier.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Who says politics isn't amusing. Peter slipper forever having his speakers portrait in the halls of parliament is a cosmic joke.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Negligent posted:

Who says politics isn't amusing. Peter slipper forever having his speakers portrait in the halls of parliament is a cosmic joke.

At least he took the job seriously.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

asio posted:

All you fuckers better be at the snap rallies that are happening soon. Disrupt traffic just for the graics and lc's in the country. The guy died at the rbh earlier.

Where and when are they? I'd love to go to a lot more rallies.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Box of kittens, as seen from above:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Oh...okay?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Anidav posted:

Oh...okay?

Buy a turtleneck, you know you want to

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

V for Vegas posted:

For May Auspol can The Arts Party get a shoutout in the OP.

They're currently running a pozible campaign ending 11 May for just $35,000 http://www.pozible.com/project/204920 to pay for AEC registrations and campaign funds, which is basically nothing in election terms. (Disclosure I'm a lay member, but not one of the organisers).

Any other requests for Auspol May - Crisis on Infinite Australias?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Snod. posted:

Buy a turtleneck, you know you want to

Skivvies Are Back

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

asio posted:

I would go but Van Badham will be there.

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The argument was that if people are settled in NZ they will gain the right to live in Australia, which is kind of arrogant when you think about it.

If New Zealand accepted them, they would have only slightly more chance of gaining Australian citizenship or permanent residency than they do now.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
An interesting article about something that isn't often talked about
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-29/secret-mosques-doors-lgbti-muslims/7341142

quote:

More Imams are coming out as gay and preaching that homosexuality isn't condemned in Islam. They're part of a global push for a more liberal interpretation of the Koran that acknowledges diversity and empowers mosques to welcome sexual minorities.

In search of an LGBT-inclusive mosque

Damir Ahmetovic prays five times a day and describes himself as a devout Muslim. But he no longer attends his local Brisbane mosque for fear of vilification.

"The wider Muslim community is not aware that I am gay and I keep away from them," Mr Ahmetovic said. "I've made a choice to limit my contact with them. It's a self protection mechanism, I don't want judgment, hostility and negative responses to who I am."

The 31-year-old Bosnian national came out to his family a decade ago, an experience he says was fraught with difficulty. His father, who initially rejected him, said he would accept his son only if he kept his sexuality quiet.

Mr Ahmetovic said he knows "quite a few" gay Muslims in Brisbane but says they have rejected their faith since coming out.

He also knows many more who identify as both gay and Muslim who are looking for a mosque that will include, not shun them.

Mr Ahmetovic recently joined the newly launched Brisbane branch of Muslims for Progressive Values (MPV), which started in New York in 2007 with the aim to, "get organised in promoting a progressive and inclusive interpretation of Islam against the backdrop of extremism as played out by Al Qaeda, and conservatism as played out by the influence of Wahhabism in the US".

MPV campaigns for diversity, gender equality (including non-segregated mosques) and LGBTQI inclusion, and now has thousands of members around the world, but only late last year did it gain traction in Australia, opening sub-branches in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

The local MPV push is being led by Professor Saher Amer from the University of Sydney and Reem Sweid from Deakin University, who claim Australia is home, "to some of the most conservative Muslims in the western world".

In spite of this, a Melbourne Imam, Nur Warsame, has taken the bold step of preaching a progressive interpretation of Islam to his own congregation of LGBT Muslims and supporting their sexuality within the Muslim faith.

Imam Nur, a Somali-born man, lived in Egypt and Canada as a child and moved to Melbourne as a high school student. He has been an Imam for 13 years, and is only the second Victorian Muslim leader to earn the title 'Hafiz', meaning he has memorised the Koran.

"There have been threats to my life because I am finally speaking out," Imam Nur told ABC News.

Earlier this year, he said, two men (who he knows are from the Muslim community) came to the front door of his house in Melbourne to threaten him after hearing him speak about Marhaba on LGBT radio station Joy FM.

"They wanted me to stop talking about gay Muslims. But luckily the Victorian Police were very helpful and I am OK," he said.

For two years, Imam Nur has run the support group Marhaba (which means 'welcome' in Arabic) covertly in a range of community halls across Melbourne.

"When I started this group, I knew it was a suicide mission. But I'm cautiously optimistic and I am careful. I look after myself and don't see myself as some martyr willing to die for this cause," Imam Nur said.

While LGBT-friendly mosques and prayer halls can be found in South Africa, France, the United States and Canada (some as early as the late 1990s), he says it is the first "mosque" of its kind in Australia.

"I do not want to be linked to the mainstream conservative Muslim organisations, they have done a lot of damage to the LGBT community," he said.

"I want to be known as an independent Imam who is sympathetic. My calling in this lifetime is to help young, gay Muslims who have been traumatised by the Muslim leaders in Australia."
Coming out can be a 'risk to one's life'

The most recent data in Australia estimates 2.2 per cent of Australians — approximately half a million people — identify as Muslim.

Imam Nur is also Melbourne's first Muslim pastoral worker in a public hospital. He started working at the Alfred Hospital in 2013.

"About two years ago, two HIV-positive men died in Melbourne, and no mosque wanted to do their burials," he said.

"That really troubled me. There is stigma and judgement in life and stigma even in death."

Imam Nur and the deceased men's families washed their bodies and said prayers before their burial as per Islamic tradition.

Outside of hospital, he dedicates almost all of his spare time to Marhaba, which holds monthly meetings for members, some as young as 16. They also celebrate the Eid festival twice a year.

Imam Nur says Marhaba has 500 members around Australia, a number that grows daily. He says the group's private Facebook page has more than 200 members, 100 of whom he has personally met and mentored.

Imam Nur is also working with local and state governments to establish a safe house for Muslims who come out to their family and community, which he hopes will open in Melbourne before the end of the year.

He told ABC News he recently convinced a young Muslim man not to take his psychologist's advice to come out to his parents and instead wait until the safe house had been established.

"In the Muslim tradition, the consequence of coming out to family can be very severe and at times, a risk to one's life," Imam Nur told Joy FM in January.

ABC News contacted seven sheikhs, but no-one was willing to comment on the prevalence of homosexuality in the Muslim community, or share their thoughts on MPV and Marhaba. The Islamic Council of Victoria also declined to comment.
Are gay Imams allowed to preach?

But how can Imam Nur be both an Islamic religious leader and gay? After all, homosexuality is considered a crime in many Muslim countries.

It's even punishable by death in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iran and United Arab Emirates; confronting footage emerged last December of Islamic State members pushing men convicted of "homosexuality" off buildings in Palmyra, Syria.

While the word "homosexual" doesn't exist in the Koran, there's a widely held belief that, in Islamic terminology, homosexuality is associated with al-fahsha' (an obscene act), shudhudh (abnormality), or 'amal qawm Lut (behaviour of the People of Lut).

There is, however, a different view emerging — of which America's first openly gay Imam, Daayiee Abdullah, is a proponent.

Imam Daayiee has met and trained with several LGBT Imams from around the globe.

"I've met 12 gay Imams, eight of them are out," he said. "I have met them all over the place, like Jakarta, Melbourne, Dubai, Cape Town, London, Beijing and Amsterdam and South America."

Over the past 18 years, he's been called 'a self-proclaimed Imam' and received threatening calls and emails from within the Muslim community, but said he is often just ignored by other Muslim leaders in the hope he will "go away".
Homosexuality in the Koran

"There's nothing in the Koran that condemns homosexuality," said Imam Daayie.

However, this interpretation is firmly dismissed by the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils (AFIC).

"Islam is very clear about homosexual activity," AFIC's newly elected Treasurer, Keysar Trad, told ABC News.

"It's an aberration and a major sin and has always been forbidden. Any sexual act among people of the same gender is simply not allowed," Mr Trad said.

While Imam Dayiee and Australia's Imam Nur don't receive support or funding from mainstream Islamic organisations, and are still considered outliers, they can't be stripped of their title.

Dr Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle from the Department of Middle Eastern and South Asian Studies at Emory University in Atlanta has dedicated much of his academic career to exploring sexuality within Islam.

To be an Imam, Dr Kugle said, one needs to have extensively studied the Koran, have a community to preach to and a space to hold prayers. He argues both Imam Nur and Imam Daayiee meet these criteria.

"There is no Catholic Church or clergy in the Islamic faith, so with the Sunni version of Islam, for example, it's a very decentralised community," Dr Kugle said.

"There's no formal ex-communication from Islam. That simply doesn't exist."

Mr Trad said Muslims were not vetted at mosque entrances.

"There's no-one standing at the door of the mosque asking people if they are LGBT or not," Mr Trad told ABC News. "We assume everyone's sexual affairs are private. We don't ban anyone from the mosque."

It's good to see that organisations like these guys are popping up and doing some good work. Unfortunately it sounds like they have a long way to go if even mainstream Islam is o opposed to same sex attracted people.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm gay (and muslim)

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Only allow gay Muslim reffos imo

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

asio posted:

Disrupting traffic doesn't endear people to your cause, hth

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2_DTlRaVzM

lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LibertyCat posted:

Disrupting traffic doesn't endear people to your cause, hth

You're half right.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

asio posted:

you bet

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
That's an "interesting" word filter.

I'm sad the dude died but Australians have made it pretty clear sea arrivals aren't welcome. Staying in Indonesia or accepting a free trip home had to be better than a painful suicide.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

good point

e: lol the above post, he's SO CLOSE to figuring it out

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Something something the man person who shot LibertyCat he was the bravest of them all. :effort:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

I'm sad the dude died but Australians have made it pretty clear sea arrivals aren't welcome. Staying in Indonesia or accepting a free trip home had to be better than a painful suicide.

You would think so, assuming the person was of sound mind.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Can we send you back to the libertarian paradise known as Somalia?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

Yep, the Chaser boys are back, confirming last night that The Checkout will go into hiatus until after the election.

Instead The Chaser’s Election Desk will air from Wednesday June 8th (a timeslot is yet to be confirmed).

Next Thursday night ABC screens Labor leader Bill Shorten’s Budget Reply.

That still leaves all of May with neither show on air. No word on what goes into Thursdays from May 12th.

:toot:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LibertyCat posted:

That guy was a human being, you know. He liked to play Mass Effect.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

trunkh posted:

Turnbull is now Jim from Utopia in my mind.

Abbott is Arby from British Utopia, a developmentally challenged sociopathic force of destruction.

Actually, that doesn't work because Arby was redeemable.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Australians have decided that if you rob banks you go to jail. If a dude robs a bank, goes to jail, then kills himself while in jail, the answer isn't to legalize bank robberies.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

LibertyCat posted:

Australians have decided that if you rob banks you go to jail. If a dude robs a bank, goes to jail, then kills himself while in jail, the answer isn't to legalize bank robberies.

legalise your assisted suicide

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Been a while since the last F35 update:

We know readers love F-35 news, and we’ve got two cracking updates for you. So: the plane’s software, supposedly central to its superiority over rival aircraft — after all, being a plane that can’t fly, can’t shoot and can’t dogfight, obviously there must be something it’s good at — has been, alas, somewhat troubled, like pretty much everything else about the Lockheed Loser. Two weeks ago, the US Government Accountability Office released a report on the F-35 warning of a looming disaster. It found “the Department of Defense (DOD) is aware of risks that could affect the F-35’s Autonomic Logistics Information System (ALIS), but does not have a plan to ensure that ALIS is fully functional as key program milestones approach.” The GAO concluded that “ALIS may not be deployable … ALIS does not have redundant infrastructure: ALIS’s current design results in all F-35 data produced across the U.S. fleet to be routed to a Central Point of Entry and then to ALIS’s main operating unit with no backup system or redundancy. If either of these fail, it could take the entire F-35 fleet offline.”

The entire fleet … offline. Then again, since the F-35 has trouble taking off without its engines catching fire, perhaps that’s not such a major problem. But “by continuing to respond to issues on a case-by-case basis rather than in a holistic manner, there is no guarantee that DOD will address the highest risks by the start of full-rate production in 2019, and as a result, DOD may encounter further schedule and development delays, which could affect operations and potentially lead to cost increases,” said the GAO. Oh, and just in case you were wondering — “schedule slippage and functionality problems with ALIS could lead to $20-100 billion in additional costs.”

No wonder that, overnight, GOP Senator John McCain, who as a former navy pilot knows a thing or two about jet fighters, attacked the entire program as “both a scandal and a tragedy with respect to cost, schedule and performance”. How many of these suckers are we wasting money on again?

http://www.crikey.com.au/2016/04/28/flying-heap-crap-watch-volume-67687934568587608706824230294754645/

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

I've seen a couple of really lovely unfunny articles from them lately, were they always poo poo or have they just gotten worse?

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Cartoon posted:

I don't think the NBN is quite the non-starter you consider it to be.

I'm surprised by how high it is, and as you point out it's likely to be skewed between electorates. It could be as much of a factor in a seat like Indi as the toxic Liberal candidate. And anything can become a bigger issue in a particular election, like IR in 2007.

This year the Opposition parties are spoiled for choice on issues that the Liberals have been incompetent on, most of which are easier to explain to the electorate than FTTN vs FTTP. But it does make a good counter for Turnbull's current infrastructure soundbites - why should we trust the Liberals on other infrastructure when they've destroyed the NBN?

quote:

I was genuinely surprised the economy got such a high place because traditionally (Nineties at least) it went:

The "recession we had to have" changed that - economic performance was for a long time a synonym for interest rates. Now interest rates are a non-issue it's debt.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

gently caress you.

What law have asylum seekers broken, you pathetic stain on humanity.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

please stop quoting libertycat posts that aren't mass_effect.txt or

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

gay picnic defence posted:

No wonder that, overnight, GOP Senator John McCain, who as a former terrible navy pilot knows a thing or two about crashing jet fighters and getting captured by the nva

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It is NOT ILLEGAL to seek asylum in Australia, even if arriving by boat.
It is NOT ILLEGAL to kill your parents ustralia, even if arriving by boat.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 29, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It is NOT ILLEGAL to kill your parents ustralia, even if arriving by boat.

is it unlawful?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Only if you are wearing a helmet while drinking bottled water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
your face is unlawful

• Locked thread