Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I guess thinking about it more, I do use backpacks a lot in my day to day life. especially when I go on adventure downtown.

but traveling I didn't seem to use one whatsoever because it was just one more thing to worry about. I could see it being useful. I just liked the freedom that comes with backpacklessness and trying to be resourceful enough to survive without it.

to each their own. Your right about camera equipment though. You need a backpack. I didn't really take tons of pictures. just used my smartphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

link to the best travel towel ever http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=1445 protip: get it sewn up nice around the edges for 10 cents at your destination.

If you get a lighter color it'll be see-through when wet. May or may not work to your advantage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I still use a messenger bag, I need a waterproof place to stash my phone and camera plus sunglasses, backup battery and other bits and bobs and I like that it can't be opened without me noticing thanks to the velcro [other times I'm mad that there's velcro in places like restaurants, churches/temples, etc.]. I also almost always have some kind of bag on at home so it's not much of a change for me.

The thing I carry a lot less of than I used to is cables and adaptors, now I just carry a single charger, one plug converter and 2 cables for my phone, tablet and camera and I can use one of those USB backup batteries in emergencies. I also buy a lot less official "travel" gear than I used to, I think my power adapters, plug stopper and clothesline are it, everything else I have I use/wear in my day-to-day. I think I carried one of those travel towels for years and maybe used it once per trip, if at all. I blame Douglas Adams for influencing my young nerd brain.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Qirex covered my points about having a bag. But waking around everywhere with a grocery bag makes you like some hobo or guy who's just getting some snacks before going home. Which is really awkward in some parts of town

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Depends on what you're doing. If you're walking around a lot, hiking, or biking, having a daypack is way more convenient than carrying around a shopping bag all day.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

I also often bring a cheap small drawstring gym bag that smushes down into my larger bag when I travel, and I usually bring some sort of thin binder to put in it so that it has an even surface on the back. Quechua has really cheap small backpacks that would probably be a little better, you can get them all over Europe but not sure about the U.S. Also, my girlfriend has that New Outlander amazon's favorite backpack and it's been fine, we haven't used it much but works OK with a camelback for hiking and it's decently comfortable. I wouldn't think it would be water-resistant, but I really haven't seen any backpack be good about water unless it was expensive and marketed for people who are into biking in the city or rafting or something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do you guys just not do the "personal item" on the plane or what? That's always been my day bag.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Sometimes, in which case I use my messenger bag too, but then I have a backpack for my carry-on with a messenger bag on my side. That part is kind of annoying, I prefer to keep it all in one bag. If I'm just taking one flight and I'm going to be somewhere for a while, I'll do it though. I'm not a big fan of messenger bags anyway; if it's at all heavy it starts to get annoying to have weight on one side if you're walking around for a while, and I have some lower back pain issues that gets worse from that. But not everyone has such a fragile lumbar region, so I see the advantage of them too, especially for the personal item thing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

Do you guys just not do the "personal item" on the plane or what? That's always been my day bag.

Especially when you are going through airport security. Just dump your extra jacket and all that poo poo in your pockets into the day bag. Boom.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I usually have a carry-on suitcase and a laptop bag or backpack with a camera bag inside it, if I'm going to be traveling all civilized like with cars and taxis. For the more backpacking trip I'm planning to just take a backpack and the camera bag, which would fit inside if really necessary.

For gear, I'm trying to keep it to a minimum so that everything fits into my relatively small backpack. So I'm taking only some basic toiletries and earplugs/pillow/mask. Really I only need enough clothes for the 10 days in South Africa, and everything else should be cheap to buy in Thailand. So I have a few sets of underwear, a long-sleeve shirt, two t-shirts, swimming shorts, a fleece/track jacket type of thing and a towel.

So, then, pants. What's the general opinion on the cargo variety? I bought some a couple of days ago on sale (for literally :10bux:) but I haven't worn anything like this since like ~2000 so they feel all weird and loose. I have a pair of regular casual cotton pants that I can take, and jeans. But I don't want to ruin my fancy jeans of course so they'll stay a thome.

As for camera gear, I have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, the nifty fifty, and just got a Canon 55-250 IS II for the animals. Also polarizing filters. So I'm probably going to literally take everything I have, except the speedlites and triggers.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

So, then, pants. What's the general opinion on the cargo variety? I bought some a couple of days ago on sale (for literally :10bux:) but I haven't worn anything like this since like ~2000 so they feel all weird and loose. I have a pair of regular casual cotton pants that I can take, and jeans.

Cargo pants make you look like a neckbeard backpacker, but OTOH they're also useful for carrying stuff, pretty comfortable, and zip-off cargo pants will be useful for your itinerary since it'll save you having to pack an extra pair of shorts for SEA.

There are some North Face zipoff cargo pants with a secret zipper pocket that have been posted here a few times. I bought one and love it for backpacking and would never under any circumstance wear it at home or anywhere where I care if people will see and judge me. It looks like they're the "Paramount Peak II" https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-paramount-peak-ii-convertible-pants . The secret zip pocket is great for carrying a phone, money, and passport around in. The dark grey ones actually look kind of acceptable. I have the default tan ones and they're pretty ugly.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I have a pair of Prana Zion. They are super comfortable and look normalish. The bottom bit is easy to button up and that keeps them from getting in my chain when I cycle. Only issue is the belt doesn't stay super tight and so needs tightening a bit more frequently than I'd like.

My essential piece is the Sea to Summit Aeros ultralight pillow. Super small yet majestically comfortable. I camp so it's a bit different than regular hostelling, but honestly I'd take it over most hostel pillows I've used.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

did someone say pants

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/pants/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

They are decent pants but don't really hold up to actual action-man type use. They are great for business travel though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: daypacks

Living in a city I don't need one, but traveling abroad I find them useful

As cell phone cameras continue to improve only once or twice have I wished I had some kind of incredi-zoom lens, and traveling with an SLR is just a huge loving liability for a number of reasons.

That said, what goes in to my cheap day pack:

5x7" Hardback blank notebook (has offline emergency numbers, the address of my hostel, and a poorly hand drawn map between a subway station and my hostel) this is what keeps sharp stuff from poking in to my back.

Umbrella (depending on location)

Bottle of water, usually 1.5L

10,000mAh backup USB backup battery + cable (2g unlimited T-Mobile international data ftw)

A Cliff Bar, or bag of nuts, or whatever. Tourist trap food is way expensive.

Hat and or sunglasses (sometimes)

USB rechargeable flashlight

$10-20 local currency for an extra transit ticket back to the hostel in case I lose mine

Spanish pocket translation book (if you can't find anyone who understands English or Spanish you're hosed anyways)

If I'm about to walk on a 2+ hour train or plane, I'll try and stuff two tall boys of whatever the local brew is

Ebook reader (lays flat with screen against the hard back journal)

I bought some elastic cord and laced it to the outside of my bag. Typically that's where I store my fleece pullover, which keeps it out of the bag, properly aired out, and doubles as a pillow/sunshade

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, I've taken plenty of great shots that would've been impossible with a phone. Even an iphone6 or best android stuff is only really good for wide shots under bright light. It can be a pain in the rear end of course, depending on circumstances. In developed countries with good accommodation and transport I was fine dragging around a 70-200 f/2.8 but for this trip even the f/4 would've been too much.

Other than that my plan is pretty similar so far.

Saladman posted:

Cargo pants make you look like a neckbeard backpacker, but OTOH they're also useful for carrying stuff, pretty comfortable, and zip-off cargo pants will be useful for your itinerary since it'll save you having to pack an extra pair of shorts for SEA.

There are some North Face zipoff cargo pants with a secret zipper pocket that have been posted here a few times. I bought one and love it for backpacking and would never under any circumstance wear it at home or anywhere where I care if people will see and judge me. It looks like they're the "Paramount Peak II" https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-paramount-peak-ii-convertible-pants . The secret zip pocket is great for carrying a phone, money, and passport around in. The dark grey ones actually look kind of acceptable. I have the default tan ones and they're pretty ugly.

They're not zip-off and they would make me look like a neckbeard backpaper, I'm afraid. Of course they also don't cost two hundred bucks so there's that.

One thing I forgot to ask is if anyone has experience with polyester golf pans, like these ones: http://store.dunlopsport.com/dunlop-golf-trouser-mens-362016?colcode=36201604
I tried something similar a while ago and they're super thin and light and don't look quite as neckbeardy. But I have no idea how they'd feel in a hot and/or humid environment, unfortunately. Right now I'm considering returning the cargo and getting these instead (or not, and going with what I have).

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I have approximately the same list as Hadlock, though mine includes the frustratingly bulky noise canceling headphones specifically for flights/long trains/busses. I'm pretty sure I have moderate hearing damage in part due to me having lovely earbuds turned all the way up over years of flying 75k miles/yr. I pack those along with a pair of the Amazon earbuds for exercising/in case I don't want to carry my noise canceling ones for the day.

I also include the Patagonia Houdini instead of an umbrella because it's loving magic. I sometimes carry my Sony RX-100 camera which I've grown to appreciate over the year or so I've owned it. No notebook, but a pile of printed out itinerary/directions/contact info. I carry a little more local cash in low denominations for tips/random bullshit. Plus, sunscreen, a few otc medications, hand sanitizer, kleenex (not store-brand stuff), and ziplock bags to keep things sorted/dry/clean.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 29, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, should I take my GoPro clone as well? For like underwater shots on the beach or making road trip timelapses :ohdear:

Blinkman987 posted:

I have approximately the same list as Hadlock, though mine includes the frustratingly bulky noise canceling headphones specifically for flights/long trains/busses. I'm pretty sure I have moderate hearing damage in part due to me having lovely earbuds turned all the way up over years of flying 75k miles/yr. I pack those along with a pair of the Amazon earbuds for exercising/in case I don't want to carry my noise canceling ones for the day.

Get isolating in-ear monitors right loving now. Seriously can't stress this enough, I've had the Etymotic ER-4 for years and you wouldn't believe how well they isolate you from the noise. It might feel like you're blasting Metallica at ridiculous volumes, but the moment you take them out, the outside crowd or street noise is almost deafening. It's not just engine or road noise, screaming babies and annoying passengers are gone too.

I'm not taking mine with me as the cable just broke near the connector, and in any case they'd be too easy to damage or lose for something that costs that much. One of their cheaper models would work fine too, as would many others if they can fit the 3-flange or similar eartips. I'm buying these as they're super cheap and mostly fit the slightly larger eartips that I have. They won't isolate as well but for :10bux: you can't really complain.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The old Nexus 5, iPhone and a few other phones have a little magnetic thing that lets you snap on a telephoto lens, it's not ideal but that's an option. But I don't print my photos; at best I'll post one or two photos a day to FB while on the go. I used to take a million billion photos but over the years I've learned to spend less time taking photos and more time hanging out at the location.

And yeah I totally left off headphones. I use the cheap $15 Amazon Basics brand headphones, they come in a dust resistant bag + fold flat. They're plenty loud for the airplane, and I haven't managed to destroy them yet. The cable is pretty short too which keeps it from snaking around all your poo poo in your bag.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What do you guys recommend for something I can put my dirty laundry in when I am on a weekend long trip and don't intend to do any laundry until I am back home. I've been looking at the double sided Eagle Creek packing cubes but maybe a bag would be better idea. Something I can also bring to the gym and throw my sweaty clothes / shoes in.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh man, should I take my GoPro clone as well? For like underwater shots on the beach or making road trip timelapses :ohdear:

Get isolating in-ear monitors right loving now. Seriously can't stress this enough, I've had the Etymotic ER-4 for years and you wouldn't believe how well they isolate you from the noise. It might feel like you're blasting Metallica at ridiculous volumes, but the moment you take them out, the outside crowd or street noise is almost deafening. It's not just engine or road noise, screaming babies and annoying passengers are gone too.

I'm not taking mine with me as the cable just broke near the connector, and in any case they'd be too easy to damage or lose for something that costs that much. One of their cheaper models would work fine too, as would many others if they can fit the 3-flange or similar eartips. I'm buying these as they're super cheap and mostly fit the slightly larger eartips that I have. They won't isolate as well but for :10bux: you can't really complain.

I had the Etymotic 6s years back and I found them to be uncomfortable and the internal cable on the left channel went out in just over 2 years, just outside of warranty service. I realize most other people are happy with theirs-- a popular audiophile's choice in earbuds-- but I was pretty soured on that purchase.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

eh, I used pretty deece westone um2's for close to ten years with comply isolation foam tips, and I'm pretty sure I've flown with double/triple flanged tips before.

picking up bose qc25s still led to the most blissful flights I've ever had. I would switch them on without actually playing anything through it and just go right to sleep. don't remember being able to do that with in-ears

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

What do you guys recommend for something I can put my dirty laundry in when I am on a weekend long trip and don't intend to do any laundry until I am back home. I've been looking at the double sided Eagle Creek packing cubes but maybe a bag would be better idea. Something I can also bring to the gym and throw my sweaty clothes / shoes in.

I use the Ikea packing cubes, which I dump into my laundry basket when I get home. For gym bag, I bought a lifetime warranty 33L lifestyle backpack (think brands like Osprey, but their product lines without the thick hipbelts) as I was tired of chewing through ~$30 bags and duffels every 3 years. It's been going 5 years strong. I work out at noon, throw my gross clothes in there, and then dump it around 6-7 PM when I get home. If something is especially sweaty, I let it breathe in the back of my car on top of a towel.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I would switch them on without actually playing anything through it and just go right to sleep. don't remember being able to do that with in-ears

+1

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno why you wouldn't be able to do that with IEMs as they just act as earplugs when not playing anything, and don't need any power for that. But whatever's more comfortable personally, of course.

Ended up taking the Yi as it easily went into an empty pocket of my camera bag. Despite packing everything into a very reasonably looking 30-35l, probably took too much anyway, I doubt I'll need both a sweatshirt and a jacket, but for a first time backpacking I'm pretty proud for not going completely nuts.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Busy Bee posted:

Plastic grocery bags. Why would you buy something for dirty laundry? Just shove them in plastic inside your regular bag. Stink stays inside the bag.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
get those super small gym bags. They are sealed as well

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
On the topic of laundry, I carry a Scrubba - https://thescrubba.com which is basically a dry bag designed to do your laundry. It's not quite as good as a washing machine, but 5 minutes instead of an hour and of course free.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Does it actually work?

How long does it take to rinse the soap out?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Outrail posted:

Does it actually work?

How long does it take to rinse the soap out?

Seems to work just fine. I carry a small bottle of Dr Bronner soap, and use it for my laundry, rinsing it out doesn't take long at all.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Sad Panda posted:

On the topic of laundry, I carry a Scrubba - https://thescrubba.com which is basically a dry bag designed to do your laundry. It's not quite as good as a washing machine, but 5 minutes instead of an hour and of course free.

I didn't know about the Scrubba so I did some research. I found a pretty comprehensive review on REI, more info than reviews on Amazon:

https://www.rei.com/product/886211/scrubba-wash-bag

quote:

Dave in Berlin · 10 months ago

Very clear pros and cons

I have used this for two weeks in Europe and have a lot of thoughts I wish were available before I bought it. The headline is that it does by and large accomplish the task of doing the wash on the go a little easier, but it doesn't entirely accomplish it in the way it claims to deliver results.

In general I'm less impressed with the engineering of the product. First of all, the air valve is very small and not conducive to wet soapy hands and pressing air out. It should have been much larger like an air mattress valve, or something a little more industrial. This valve is like the one on a blow up inflatable beach ball. Some people on Amazon have commented on how fast this broke. Mine has been steady after many, many washes - but I rarely use it and push the air out like a Ziploc bag before I use it. More on that to come...

Secondly, the outside of the bag purports to have a steady platform from which to swish around the wash. However, this bottom of the bag only works on a completely dry surface and doesn't work when you do this in a bathtub in which you just filled the bag. Who in their right mind wants to do washing on a dry surface where spills need to be cleaned leads into yet another engineering faux pas.

The bag isn't entirely waterproof. Water and soap will come out the top if it's filled and vigorously used. So you will have some suds coming out. Cool if it's in a tub...not cool if it's on your dinner table - which is what Scrubba claims to have created.

Another major engineering problem is that the washboard nubs are only on one side inside the bag. But turning the laundry while it is closed, and wet, is an almost impossible task. I have tried every way but you have to re-open the bag and re-position the laundry.

Rinsing is also a specific art. If you use the detergent that they suggest you use or any foaming soap you will end up with a rinsing nightmare which is very difficult in the bag. However, I did find the old school soap which is readily available in Europe which is intended to use for hand-washing and that worked like a charm. Smells rustic clean and cleans well but doesn't foam up like mad so the rinsing is a couple cycles instead of ten minutes trying to wring out the soap. What I do is fill the bag with cold water and then push them up and down with my fist in the bag till I see my low-suds soap everywhere, and then dump it and rinse again. Usually I stick the showerhead in the there it rinses very quickly.

Now, for the better part. What Scrubba has inadvertently managed to create is a washboard system if you do it the old way like our great-grandmothers used to do.

What I have perfected as a technique is to rub some of my handy old-school soap on the nubs and on the sweaty and dirty parts of the washing. Then I fill the bag with some water, leave it open, position it against my leg and start dipping and rubbing and washing like our ancestors did. Then the bag works actually pretty well and I found incrementally useful as a solution to not finding a laundromat.

The last thing to mention is the bag is small. Doing a full size towel takes some technique in the way I use it - and if you use it the way Scrubba lists in it's instructions I can't see you getting it done. But socks, underwear, shirts, my wife's sun dresses...they all got done very well. So manage your expectations and you should be okay. The nubs inside are solid, almost cracked some finger nails on them so pay attention when you're putting elbow grease into it.

In conclusion I think the bag is slightly overpriced and is an example of shoddy engineering and less capable field testing but like many things in life there is a happy accident in the midst of the Aussie experiment which is that there is a portable washboard/soaking bin that you can fold up to fit anywhere and if you stick a bar of washboard soap or use hotel handsoap you should be able to handle most of your laundry.

You should buy it. But know what you're doing and know what you plan on doing.

Probably too long a review but before I bought couldn't find anything intelligible on the web reviewing this and the Amazon reviews weren't comprehensive.

Basically, if the air valve breaks, it's just a dry bag with built-in washboard. It's 15L capacity so you can buy a 15L drybag and get pretty much the same results. But I ordered one on Amazon anyway since I have a bunch of extra Amazon GCs

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

lowcrabdiet posted:

I didn't know about the Scrubba so I did some research. I found a pretty comprehensive review on REI, more info than reviews on Amazon:

https://www.rei.com/product/886211/scrubba-wash-bag

Basically, if the air valve breaks, it's just a dry bag with built-in washboard. It's 15L capacity so you can buy a 15L drybag and get pretty much the same results. But I ordered one on Amazon anyway since I have a bunch of extra Amazon GCs

I had an issue with the air valve on the first one (the bit to open it broke off so it couldn't be opened any more) and got in touch with them. They asked for a couple of photos, apologised and posted a new one saying it was a material flaw that had been fixed. The new one doesn't have that problem, but I've only used it a few times since getting it. I definitely agree that the air valve could have been bigger.

As far as water leaving the bag, I only find that happens if I decide to leave it to soak and then there's very slow leakage after 10+ minutes suggesting that the seal from rolling it over repeatedly isn't completely tight.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm heading off on a safari later this year and need pants that can resist sweating. Years ago I think I had some prana stuff and they performed admirably.

Any difference between the prana zion pants and convertible pants besides the obvious?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Do people not just wash clothing in a sink? I do it all the time when I travel for work and am too busy/lazy to find a laundromat.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Do people not just wash clothing in a sink? I do it all the time when I travel for work and am too busy/lazy to find a laundromat.

Sure, but sink washing is kinda lovely and not effective enough if you're out for any extended length of time and doing laundry is expensive where you're staying.

Edit-- Plus, people love gadgets!

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 7, 2016

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Oh let me tell you about washing gadgets. It's crowdfunded so of course it doesn't work yet and is already months late.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the other hand, I'm going to a self-service laundry tomorrow and my clothes will be washed and dried in an hour for the grand sum of €6.50 without having to find places to hang wet clothing all around my hotel room or wash clothes in a sink like some kind of bum. Seems like the best solution, IMHO.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Sure, but sink washing is kinda lovely and not effective enough if you're out for any extended length of time and doing laundry is expensive where you're staying.

Edit-- Plus, people love gadgets!

How dirty are you getting? I do event work and my clothing gets clean enough in sink washing.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, I'm going to a self-service laundry tomorrow and my clothes will be washed and dried in an hour for the grand sum of €6.50 without having to find places to hang wet clothing all around my hotel room or wash clothes in a sink like some kind of bum. Seems like the best solution, IMHO.

Depends on your preferences. Personally I much prefer to do the laundry in my hotel / apartment and spend 10 min washing everything with soap and hanging it rather than looking online or asking for the closest laundry service, dropping stuff off, and then coming back later and collect it. I guess if I was staying right next to a laundry service that'd be fine, but I can't remember that ever happening, and hotels usually charge outrageous prices (€3 to launder a pair of socks? no thanks). I usually look for places on AirBnB that have a machine washer if I'm staying somewhere ≥ 1 week though.

This is all very part-of-the-world dependent too. I'm sure in SEA the laundry services are crazy cheap.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Laundry is super cheap in Thailand and they even deliver it to your hostel if you wish. It's efficient enough, but you may still end up losing some T-shirt here and there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So, my good old day pack just died on me: both zippers broke, and getting them replaced could cost me more than buying a new pack. Let's buy a new one then! Great! Except the model was discontinued, and it's out of stock everywhere. Not only it was discontinued, but the manufacturer doesn't even make a replacement, they got out of the market segment entirely in fact. What is this wonder pack I need so bad?

Quechua Arpenaz 20 XC. Features:
  • large main pocket. Zipper broke on mine, making the backpack useless (it's not a "pocket" so much as where the whole backpack opens like the mouth of an alligator, without a zipper the whole thing hangs open uselessly)
  • secondary pocket with pen, phone, keychain etc. holders. On mine, the zipper for this one is starting to break
  • "secret" mini-pocket on the back, where I keep my transit card. Could do without it
  • chest strap. I rarely use this of course but I don't know if I could do without it, it's very handy as a belt for the camera pouch when I'm traveling
  • belt. A little silly on such a small backpack, but you stop laughing when you find out how heavy a fully loaded 20 l backpack can get. It's not a lovely little afterthought of a belt either: it's fat and beefy with a lot of lumbar support
  • it's not a pocket, it's not a rack, it's not a holder: that weird thing in front. None of the newer Quechua backpacks has it and I'm going to miss it a lot if I'm forced to switch. Not sure what exactly it was meant for because it's so weirdly shaped, but I always found uses for it, like holding a rolled-up jacket or scarf or hat. Same goes for the pole holders: I don't use poles, but those adjustable elastic straps are always good for something
  • water bladder holder in the main pocket, and a hole on top for the drinking tube. Used maybe once, but the holder is really handy as an organizer
  • hole for earbuds in the secondary pocket, literally never used
Basically it was a middle ground between daily use, day hiking and even had serious load carrying features (again, they only look silly until you need them and then you're glad to have them), and they don't make any backpacks like that anymore, period. The whole XC line was discontinued

Is there any other brand that makes something like this? Or at least something somewhere in the ballpark

• Locked thread