Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Whenever anyone talks about the tone of DooM 1, I can't help but think of the pink demon's perfectly sculpted, toned rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

widespread posted:

Gotta save that Ultra Violent for the main release yo. :v:

Even though UV should have been shown since, well, isn't that what everyone plays on in any Doom-ish game?

Only because Doom has been around for 23 goddamn years. People weren't playing UV so much when it was new

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buck Turgidson posted:

God drat that's some terrible music.

I agree. Other goons are praising the soundtrack and I don't get it, sounds pretty rear end to me.

GreatGreen posted:

Does anybody else feel like the tone and atmosphere of the game is a bit, I don't know... cutesy?

Like even though the demons are all exposed tendons and muscles and tumors, they all have this kind of bouncy, huggable quality to them.

I still think the game is going to be fun but it's a bit weird that they went for more of an approachable tone than a grimdark one.

Its pretty cartoonish in its colors, but that's a good thing. People complained that the first trailer was too brown, and the new gameplay trailers aren't brown at all. That's great.

As for the models being cartoonish, more so than Doom 3 because this isn't meant to be a horror game at all, its a straight action game (IMO as it should be) but I still think its plenty dark and creepy and mature. There's rivers of blood and skulls and poo poo.

fishmech posted:

Only because Doom has been around for 23 goddamn years. People weren't playing UV so much when it was new

Not to mention doom balance with mouse and circle strafing is completely different than how most people played doom the first time (outside of Id offices and hardcore gamer LANs I guess, some people used mouses from the get-go) where you'd be playing entirely with the keyboard, walking into a room, standing there getting shot while you picked off the dudes, and then on to the next room, hoping you just get enough health as you go to eat bullets.

UV with keyboard only is waaaay harder :cheeky:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A.o.D. posted:

I think he was playing with iddqd on.
Nope, there's just no damage feedback :toot:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hellburger99 posted:

It does feel more cartoonish, but I imagine they're doing that thing TF2 and other games do where they're making the designs exaggerated so each enemy has an an easily identifiable silhouette. Besides, the last time Id did "grim" and "dark" we got Doom 3.

Yeah that was terrible when we got Doom 3: The last good Doom game, the one with PC multiplayer with rocket jumping rather than 'pay to unlock another rocket, pay twice to jump with it'' customized for the ultimate Xbox One Couch Experience.

Literally the best thing about Doom 4 will be that the Doom 3 expansion I never bought will probably be on sale on Steam for 2 dollars.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

extra stout posted:

Yeah that was terrible when we got Doom 3: The last good Doom game, the one with PC multiplayer with rocket jumping rather than 'pay to unlock another rocket, pay twice to jump with it'' customized for the ultimate Xbox One Couch Experience.

Literally the best thing about Doom 4 will be that the Doom 3 expansion I never bought will probably be on sale on Steam for 2 dollars.

Yes, Doom 3 really captured the spirit of the original, what with the slow movement, lovely guns, and pitch black rooms. Oh and monsters that looked like identical brown turds. I get people are angry about the new Doom, especially for those paid multilayer unlocks you mentioned that don't actually exist, but calling Doom 3 good is a pretty big stretch.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

extra stout posted:

you're mad about literally nothing bro, read the facts and take a chill pill. Doom 3 was tepid and not fondly remembered as having a good multiplayer.

Also, a lot of people where are forgetting how nearly 99% of people who played doom when it was new played only keyboard. Doom as a baseline game is very simple. I'm guessing that's why there's so many people complaining about what 'doom' is it's because it's a raw blank canvas. if they literally tried to 1:1 doom you guys would really not enjoy it, I think with this version they did an admirable job of taking the spirit of what made that original game fondly remembered, constant action, labrynthian maps, interesting character designs and tension building. They may not have nailed it as much as I would've liked them to, but they're much closer and much more interesting than I thought it would be.

But I will echo that maybe the maps could have more dynamics in it, I like the nooks and crannies and jumping around and climbing to find vantage points and secrets, I just feel they could've made the environments even more abstract and puzzle-like, maybe the hell levels will be more like that who knows. but overall I think looking at what they've done and how close they are to nailing it and how much they've gotten so right about this game is a really great and admirable job and they've earned my interest in the game.

That and snapmap is really going to give this game legs. Notice how the SP has those green neon launch pads, that's definitely going to be an exciting thing to have for map makers when they get around to making good multiplayer arenas.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Al-Saqr posted:

you're mad about literally nothing bro, read the facts and take a chill pill. Doom 3 was tepid and not fondly remembered as having a good multiplayer.

Also, a lot of people where are forgetting how nearly 99% of people who played doom when it was new played only keyboard. Doom as a baseline game is very simple. I'm guessing that's why there's so many people complaining about what 'doom' is it's because it's a raw blank canvas. if they literally tried to 1:1 doom you guys would really not enjoy it, I think with this version they did an admirable job of taking the spirit of what made that original game fondly remembered, constant action, labrynthian maps, interesting character designs and tension building. They may not have nailed it as much as I would've liked them to, but they're much closer and much more interesting than I thought it would be.

That and snapmap is really going to give this game legs. Notice how the SP has those green neon launch pads, that's definitely going to be an exciting thing to have for map makers when they get around to making good multiplayer arenas.

I'm not upset just a little disappointed, as is half the internet, and honestly they might actually add or fix some of the poo poo people complain about aside from the DLC thing so it's not always a waste of time for people to whine until the devs become aware of it.

I was like 14 years old at a LAN party with 100 people in some business room at a hotel when Doom 3 leaked online and everyone was packing up their PCs on sunday until they got word of the leak, 100 nerds then replugged in their PCs and played Doom 3 til the hotel kicked us out, it owned and much like when Trump saw thousands of muslims cheering as the towers fell it is anecdotal and you cannot disprove it.

I'll have to look into what snap map is, if that's the map editor then that is cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hellburger99 posted:

Yes, Doom 3 really captured the spirit of the original, what with the slow movement, lovely guns, and pitch black rooms. Oh and monsters that looked like identical brown turds. I get people are angry about the new Doom, especially for those paid multilayer unlocks you mentioned that don't actually exist, but calling Doom 3 good is a pretty big stretch.

Doom 3 is okay but only once you completely accept it isn't a Doom game. If they'd just called it "John Carmack's Ghosts of Mars" it would have been fine.

What I'm seeing of Doom 4 I'm liking a ton more than Doom 3 myself for sure (something closer to Doom 1) but to each his own. Acting like its completely poo poo is just as much of a stretch.

extra stout posted:

Lol, okay go play Doom 3 and stop posting here then.

Even fewer people played Doom 3's multi than Quake 4's multi so its kinda a moot point whether it had microtransactions or anything. (BTW, Doom 4 has no microtransactions. The multiplayer bonus things are dumb but you unlock them in game, they're not even for sale, so you're spouting a ton of bullshit)

extra stout posted:

I was like 14 years old at a LAN party with 100 people in some business room at a hotel when Doom 3 leaked online and everyone was packing up their PCs on sunday until they got word of the leak, 100 nerds then replugged in their PCs and played Doom 3 til the hotel kicked us out, it owned and much like when Trump saw thousands of muslims cheering as the towers fell it is anecdotal and you cannot disprove it.

I had a LAN when Doom 3 came out, and first we were all disappointed by how far we had to turn the settings down to get it to run decently (admittedly I was young and had a weak PC), then disappointed again that it was a horror game and not a doom game.

If you like doom 3 good for you. Whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention doom balance with mouse and circle strafing is completely different than how most people played doom the first time (outside of Id offices and hardcore gamer LANs I guess, some people used mouses from the get-go) where you'd be playing entirely with the keyboard, walking into a room, standing there getting shot while you picked off the dudes, and then on to the next room, hoping you just get enough health as you go to eat bullets.

UV with keyboard only is waaaay harder :cheeky:

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, a lot of people where are forgetting how nearly 99% of people who played doom when it was new played only keyboard.

I didn't forget :cheeky:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I'm okay with Doom 4 (Retard 4/Ret4rd).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Doom 3's MP was cool and good specifically with the Last Man Standing mod.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ahundredbux posted:

Doom purists are loving retarded

Clevermuldoon posted:

Retard 4 is loving doomed.

Broose posted:

I'm okay with Doom 4 (Retard 4/Ret4rd).
Excuse me, we don't use words like that. Those are hurt words.

Ret4rd 4: Retarder: Ressurection: Revelations

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
lmao if you've ever played/cared about an fps multiplayer mode outside of q3/ut

Shameful.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Actually I've never played a Doom game before. The closest I've ever come is ChexQuest. I don't mind playing ancient games so maybe I'll start from the beginning and witness the magic.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

I agree. Other goons are praising the soundtrack and I don't get it, sounds pretty rear end to me.

The soundtrack sounds fine but a lot of Doom fans fondly remember the original game's soundtrack of thrash metal and grunge that steals just enough from songs not to get sued (since the composer was also an IP laywer at one point in time)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MrSlam posted:

Actually I've never played a Doom game before. The closest I've ever come is ChexQuest. I don't mind playing ancient games so maybe I'll start from the beginning and witness the magic.

Yeah you should download GZDoom and plop in Doom.wad and go to town. (Don't mess with brutal doom or brutality or any of that until you've played at least episode 1 vanilla, the way Romero intended)

a retard posted:

The soundtrack sounds fine but a lot of Doom fans fondly remember the original game's soundtrack of thrash metal and grunge that steals just enough from songs not to get sued (since the composer was also an IP laywer at one point in time)

It doesn't have to be all licensed tracks nah, but it sounds like somebody doing a lovely impression of NIN more than what I think of as thrash metal. It'd be more appropriate in a Quake game but even then it just doesn't really capture me.

Also I feel like people are forgetting, not every track was just E1M1 style thrash metal. Songs like E1M8 are really sorrowful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=volI6Q40TQQ

When you hear that, man, the doomguy has seen some poo poo and been through hell. It really captures the feeling of being exhausted and still having a long, long way to go.

Haven't heard anything like that from the new Doom soundtrack yet, and they even covered E1M8 but they changed how it sounds to like an Industrial Factory blowing up more than a sorrowful melody.

Compare that to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTms5jpsfP8
Its just really lovely knock-off industrial, that's not thrash metal at ALL.

Or here's their "sign of evil":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnLjcjuAiOQ
It has none of that sorrow. Its just CRUNCH WUMP WUMP WUMP.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 29, 2016

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Sounds like the new wolfenstein soundtrack. Oh wait a sec.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been calling this game Retard 4

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Id please cancel Dloam and make Doom Enemy Territory instead

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Which one of you made this?

http://i.imgur.com/qyaesNz.gifv

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
Fair enough: Doom 3 isn't an awful game, but I still hold that the character design and monster design is really ugly and unpleasant to look at and probably not intentionally so. And Doom 4 might suck, but I'm giving it a shot. I have a pretty low bar on remakes though as I liked the Splatterhouse remake for the most part. :shrug:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

this thread is

doomed?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Awesome Welles posted:

this thread is

doomed?

retarded

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:qq:

But what if this game actually turns out good, what will everyone be angry about then

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Awesome Welles posted:

But what if this game actually turns out good, what will everyone be angry about then

That people like/don't like something they don't/do like

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Two weeks away baby! Mark your calendars for some DOOOOOM

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Awesome Welles posted:

Literally any other game which is due to come out.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Game isn't evil enough. Game isn't scary at all. The whole thing is a joke. Doom4 gonna suck like the movie.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've been calling this game Retard 4

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I played the first Doom with a joystick because the only other video games our family had played were on the Atari 2600 and we assumed that's just how it was done. My first playthrough took a while to beat.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

"Made"? Can anything like that really, truly be "made"? Who made dinosaur bones? They've always been. When the world needs something like this or Retard 4, it simply comes to be.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Plan Z posted:

I played the first Doom with a joystick because the only other video games our family had played were on the Atari 2600 and we assumed that's just how it was done. My first playthrough took a while to beat.

I remember my dad playing through Quake with a Sidewinder 3D Pro

It wasn't until Half-Life I discovered WASD :negative:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MrSlam posted:

Yes do it, Doom and Doom 2 are still great(as are the rest of the idtech 1 games, except maybe Hexen)

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon
All these Doom 4 gameplay vids just seem so slow and simple. I remember sprinting around levels kicking demon rear end, often with at least a dozen enemies in close proximity. Doom 4 seems to barely throw more than a half-dozen at once from what I've seen so far.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

CasualTR posted:

All these Doom 4 gameplay vids just seem so slow and simple. I remember sprinting around levels kicking demon rear end, often with at least a dozen enemies in close proximity. Doom 4 seems to barely throw more than a half-dozen at once from what I've seen so far.

This is what I don't like about modern shooters. Especially the new Shadow Warrior. I don't know why they are like this either. Save on graphic power? Balancing? Is it because the maps are so detailed now that they can't make them big enough to fit the numbers of enemies they want?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

CasualTR posted:

That's my biggest concern, too. And a lot of the enemies we do see are pretty slow. Hoping that they just want to show off the basics and save the "real" fights for later. The first few levels of Doom and Doom 2 are pretty simple themselves. Or it could be we only fight a handful of demons at a time and that would be kinda lovely but I'm willing to take the risk and give it a chance based on what we have seen. I thought things seemed to pick up in the Hell level.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

I think I played about five total minutes of Doom 3. Truth be told, I only bought the steelbook one for XBox because it had Doom and Doom II on the disc, and I just want to play them on anything I own that will run them.

I've got similar apprehensions to most of you guys with regard to enemy count and the relentlessness of encounters in this new one, but I think there are a few things to consider. We don't know what difficulty settings they're using in every video (unless I'm mistaken). If they're playing on a lower difficulty, it would make sense, given that these are live streams that wouldn't exactly benefit from the player repeatedly dying and starting over. A lower enemy count also helps to give us a better look at the enemies, although a big tidal wave of demons bearing down from all sides would put over the potential for chaos. I don't think we need that sea of death all the time either, though, and part of Doom's strength is the combinations of enemies in tuning a fight.

Hellburger also raises a good point, that early Doom levels (maybe more like ankle deep in the dead, on lower difficulty settings) aren't exactly seas of blood and gunfire like Doom II's later maps.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Oh man. Playing Doom 1 a bit ago, and playing olden games makes me realize how blessed we are these days where nearly every game controls near enough to one another that it's not a big deal. I haven't had to play a game where the arrow keys move and CTRL fires in so long. I'll have to develop the twitch for it (if that makes sense to anyone but me). I also have to get used to not having to aim in the third dimension and jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Broose posted:

This is what I don't like about modern shooters. Especially the new Shadow Warrior. I don't know why they are like this either. Save on graphic power? Balancing? Is it because the maps are so detailed now that they can't make them big enough to fit the numbers of enemies they want?

its for all the casual console n00bs using gamepads and the wrong ram