Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Crash74 posted:

It would be cool if you managed to capture an enemy factory intact you could produce what was being built there. the 38(t) for example.

Eh, everyone's Tanks are exactly the same, so it's not like there's any advantage to producing 38(t) specifically. Unless it's something you don't have the tech for, in which case you probably wouldn't have the tech for the full supply chain anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

more complicated = better thought out...?

actually scratch that there's basically only one.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This week's HOI4 Dev Diary is up, covering the game's AI.

They wanted to go for a much less scripted experience this time around it seems so the computer has a chance to adapt to what you're doing and pursue it's own goals somewhat intelligently. Will be interesting to see how it shapes up, particularly among allied AI countries since there were times in HOI3 where it felt like you were fighting the whole war yourself or the AI would march off on it's own harebrained campaign that hosed up your own plans.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 29, 2016

az
Dec 2, 2005

I would like to see a system of simulated joint planning in Hoi4, doesn't have to be anything more than a lightweight diplo menu where you can tell your allies what you are going to do, ask them to do something or ask them not to do something. In the previous titles and most other games of the type you have to trick allied ai into assisting you, like shouldering the initial invasion by yourself and hoping that your buddies will see your beach heads and send some dudes over. Being able to tell your faction that you are currently planning an attack on xyz and would like them to come over and bring some party supplies would be the best thing.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Kaza42 posted:

Eh, everyone's Tanks are exactly the same, so it's not like there's any advantage to producing 38(t) specifically. Unless it's something you don't have the tech for, in which case you probably wouldn't have the tech for the full supply chain anyway.

You can design variants of tanks, so if they've got a better one than you have it might be worth copying their Medium Tank II With A Stonking Great Gun rather than setting up another production run of your Medium Tank II With An Inferiority Complex.

az posted:

I would like to see a system of simulated joint planning in Hoi4, doesn't have to be anything more than a lightweight diplo menu where you can tell your allies what you are going to do, ask them to do something or ask them not to do something. In the previous titles and most other games of the type you have to trick allied ai into assisting you, like shouldering the initial invasion by yourself and hoping that your buddies will see your beach heads and send some dudes over. Being able to tell your faction that you are currently planning an attack on xyz and would like them to come over and bring some party supplies would be the best thing.

And splitting operations by theatre. I'd really like to be able to tell AI buddies "alright, I'm gonna command the European campaign, including your dudes there (please send some dudes USA), you take care of the rest of the world for me, including commanding my dudes outside Europe" and the like.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
That dev diary says both England and the US landed troops to liberate Europe!!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

az posted:

Didn't HOI3 have a system that was supposed to allow this? Couldn't you set important provinces for allied AI? I'm guessing it didn't work too well if it's still a wish for the next game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Didn't HOI3 have a system that was supposed to allow this? Couldn't you set important provinces for allied AI? I'm guessing it didn't work too well if it's still a wish for the next game.

Yes, but the AI had a very, very hard time following that. It was more a suggestion really, one that was quickly binned.

Also, Paradox, for the love of Sweden let me pre-order HOI IV already!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The addition of Victory Goals or whatever they were called in HOI3 was also supposed to help get everyone moving in the same direction. Only, if you didnt happen to be playing as Great Britian, Germany or Russia then the goals were chosen for you (and I usually ignored them). I do recall the devs saying they have another system in place here at some point, where you can coordinate with the computer to a limited extent but I don't remember when that was.

Hoping the coordinated invasion wasn't just a fluke or the AI being able to better work with other AIs in establishing a strategy.

As for the preorders - thats probably coming next month. I'm sure Johan doesn't want to step on Stellaris' toes while it's being launched. Or have news on HOI4 get burried by the hype.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yes, but the AI had a very, very hard time following that. It was more a suggestion really, one that was quickly binned.

Also, Paradox, for the love of Sweden let me pre-order HOI IV already!

They're not going to run out hoi4s

az
Dec 2, 2005

Friend Commuter posted:

And splitting operations by theatre. I'd really like to be able to tell AI buddies "alright, I'm gonna command the European campaign, including your dudes there (please send some dudes USA), you take care of the rest of the world for me, including commanding my dudes outside Europe" and the like.

Something like that would be pretty much perfect. Stop trying to invade occupied France with two divisions America, stop it.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Quick question. Getting back into Vic 2 and need to remember how to set soldier pops to go to the state capitols only.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

cosmosisjones posted:

Quick question. Getting back into Vic 2 and need to remember how to set soldier pops to go to the state capitols only.

state_capital_only = yes
can_be_recruited = yes

In the pop type file for soldiers

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Enjoy posted:

state_capital_only = yes
can_be_recruited = yes

In the pop type file for soldiers

Thanks. Did it before, but totally blanked on what to do.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

cool and good posted:

But I could pre-order and have it pre-load so that I can spend an anniversary all set up. Call it my "battle plan" and I get a bonus the longer I have it available before it comes out :colbert:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

cool and good posted:

Filthy casual not knowing the bits are fresher in preorders

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But I could pre-order and have it pre-load so that I can spend an anniversary all set up. Call it my "battle plan" and I get a bonus the longer I have it available before it comes out :colbert:

Paradox doesn't usually do preloads.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeaTard posted:

Paradox doesn't usually do preloads.

Buzzkills, the lot of ya!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To be fair Paradox games are usually small enough that the download doesn't take long and niche enough that they have a 0% chance of, you know, smashing Steam into bits like some large releases probably come close.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Tried my hand at playing Brazil in Kaiserreich and went Syndie. Fun event chain but holy gently caress La Plata is hard to beat. Peru allied against me. Fuckers

Was inspired to mod HoI3 and make an event chain where Republican Spain stays democratic. Is it weird for Repub Spain to win the civil war very easily if the player is playing as them? Because I did, and all my events did was raise dissent and lower national unity

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
They really gotta tone down on the whole naval invasion thing, in the latest WWW the AI was attempting a naval invasion every other week or something, most of the time with colonials or regular infantry.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Panama Red posted:

Tried my hand at playing Brazil in Kaiserreich and went Syndie. Fun event chain but holy gently caress La Plata is hard to beat. Peru allied against me. Fuckers

Was inspired to mod HoI3 and make an event chain where Republican Spain stays democratic. Is it weird for Repub Spain to win the civil war very easily if the player is playing as them? Because I did, and all my events did was raise dissent and lower national unity

Brazil's a lot easier if you get Bolivia and Venezuela as allies - just make sure to militarily control the junior partners in the alliance. You can use Venezuela's troops to deal with Peru or at least hold the line against them while you focus against La Plata.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Neobdragon posted:

They really gotta tone down on the whole naval invasion thing, in the latest WWW the AI was attempting a naval invasion every other week or something, most of the time with colonials or regular infantry.

To be fair they actually did secure a beachhead multiple times. They just couldn't hold it.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

To be fair they actually did secure a beachhead multiple times. They just couldn't hold it.

And if I remember my history, France was super unprepared for WWII in 1939, let alone 1938 when Daniel went ham

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

To be fair Paradox games are usually small enough that the download doesn't take long and niche enough that they have a 0% chance of, you know, smashing Steam into bits like some large releases probably come close.

They're not that niche anymore, more than 1,200,000 people own CKII on Steam. Stellaris seems to be getting a lot of buzz too, if the thread is any indication.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
As I said, niche enough. I'm mostly comparing this to, say, a Skyrim, or peak-popularity Call of Duty, where you can count on a metric fuckton of people trying to download. Comparatively, Stellaris will probably have at most a few hundred thousand on Day 1, and the download will be small enough the limit will be your bandwidth rather than Steam's servers, even if it was a massive download.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I just got EU: Rome on Steam, which program is the one I should start up, Gold Edition or Vae Victis?

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
I hope HoI4 can start to get more coverage once Stellaris is released, maybe we'll get 2 hour https://www. Wonder what country will be played next on Wednesday.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
What does Hearts of Iron have to do with Wurst Wedding Wednesday?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

They couldn't come up with a better acronym and also put their streaming on a different day of the week that isn't already covered by HOI4? :v:

Also, is there like a current primer for who is a goon at Paradox? Ones I know off the top of my head:

Johan
Podcat
Darkrenown
Wiz
Doomdark
cKnoor
Groogy

I know I'm missing a couple. Is DDRJake a goon?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I joined Paradox months before cKnoor wtf : |

Other than that the list looks fairly complete...?

E: vvv No... vvv

E2: Doomdark isn't a goon, is he?

LordMune fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 2, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LordMune posted:

I joined Paradox months before cKnoor wtf : |

Do you have kickass dreads?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LordMune posted:

E2: Doomdark isn't a goon, is he?

idk, I thought he was? Maybe I'm wrong and just confusing him with Darkrenown?

And yeah, grow dreadlocks and a sweet beard and run great Twitch streams and maybe you'll make the list :|

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Is there any reason why the Mac version of Vicky 2 isn't available on Steam?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
No AFAIK Doomdark doesn't hang out here.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Darkrenown probably being the most active, since you can find him playing other games with goons.

Is it a good idea to learn Stellaris in a coop MP game?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I also play games with goons :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just want to see more Daniel :swoon:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Is there any reason why the Mac version of Vicky 2 isn't available on Steam?

No good reason, but it looks to me like it's licensed to Virtual Programming which is probably the legal reason why it's on the App Store rather than Steam. Current generation Mac and Linux ports are now done in-house which is a much better situation for players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

No good reason, but it looks to me like it's licensed to Virtual Programming which is probably the legal reason why it's on the App Store rather than Steam. Current generation Mac and Linux ports are now done in-house which is a much better situation for players.

Fair enough, figured it was something like that. Glad shortcuts are a thing in steam though, I need a reminder about what good games I have.