Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mandatory lesbian posted:

so kirby has an over-arching story? wow, who knew

kirby is the not-so-secret best nintendo friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's something that's been hinted at and hyped up for awhile now. Massive spoilers, seriously. You first fought Nova as a boss way back in Super Star- he and Marx were kind of the big things in Milky Way Wishes. Return to Dreamland has Magolor, the villain of that game talking about how clockwork planets and the like have their eyes on popstar and in Robobot we finally have the payoff to all that with Nova re-appearing.

The fact Kirby's mech joins up with the Halberd to make a gigantic mecha to fight it is just flat out great.

As someone who has never played a Kirby game, I can't even begin to comprehend what I just read.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
so where does the kirby anime factor into the kirby lore

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kanfy posted:

As someone who has never played a Kirby game, I can't even begin to comprehend what I just read.

Kirby and the Deepest Lore

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I can't wait to learn about the deep Animal Crossing lore next.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

absolutely anything posted:

kirby is the not-so-secret best nintendo friend

Holy poo poo I typed up a reply admitting I am a huge idiot who only beats half the games he buys and that I wish another Kirby game would come to the 3DS as it's my only Nintendo system, I open another tab to make sure I'm not missing one and a new 3DS Kirby game came out today? Except in the wrong country

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

hopeandjoy posted:

Tom Nook was apparently full of optimism in his youth until he failed to make it big in the city and went back to his hometown a broken man before trying to start business again in the mayor's old shack before the start of the first game. It's not until New Leaf when he starts to go into real estate with a reformed con-otter that he finally feels fulfilled and looks forward to waking up everyday.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hopeandjoy posted:

The shopkeepers and other permanent residence like the museum owl had backstories in the DS game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Some of the animals are pretty complex nuanced characters

I think there actually is some weird tragic backstory with the Able sisters

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

hopeandjoy posted:

http://lparchive.org/Animal-Crossing/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kanfy posted:

Kirby games traditionally have weirdly dark and over-the-top final bosses and this one is kinda that but kinda not, plus it does the mecha anime thing people want every mecha anime thing to do, plus it's a callback to things from a couple other games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Tom Nook and Sable went to school together and maybe went out, but after they graduated Tom Nook was seduced by the big city and abandoned her. Meanwhile Sable's parents died in a car accident and her sister Label ran away to make it big in the city, leaving Sable all alone to take care of her littlest sister Mabel by becoming a seamstress. Tom Nook eventually realizes that the city is a soulless hellscape and comes back to town only to find it a ghost of what it once was, he and Label weren't the only ones that moved away and now the town is on the verge of collapse. He starts his store to try to revitalize the local economy, and tricks people into taking mortgages to increase its population knowing he would be hated but he does it for the good of the town. Years later Labelle finally reconciles with Sable and moves back to town I guess, that was kinda set up in City Folk but actually happened between games.

Basically Animal Crossing is a story about the brutal onslaught of urbanization and the devastating effect it has on people's spirits and the family unit.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Help Im Alive posted:

Some of the animals are pretty complex nuanced characters

He apparently says completely different things in Japan, according to one goon. :v: Which I feel a little conflicted about, 'cause while I feel his dialogue is funny, it could be seen as Kinda lovely to change a character's dialogue, just to riff off of people.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The solitaire horse thing is awesome but goddamn someone tell gamefreak they need to add a "turn off tutorials" option

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For people who don't read the eShop thread: Steamworld Heist got some paid DLC today, it adds a new character, new missions, weapons, hats, etc and the new content is integrated into the main game, $5/5EUR.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kanfy posted:

Buncha games hint that something happens

Thing finally happens and it's pulled off very well.

General Morden posted:

so where does the kirby anime factor into the kirby lore

Here

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 29, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Help Im Alive posted:

Does the Pocket Card Jockey demo ever end or can you just play it forever (apart from the 15 times you're allowed to boot it up)

It does but it definitely lasted longer than I thought it would. It gives you the option to start over or you can just hold out and transfer your save data to the full version apparently. Can't wait to get into the real game with multiple horses and breeding and everything else, it sounds insanely cool

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In the process of dealing with a charging issue with my 3DS I had to take out the battery, but ever since I have done that it seems as though it does not register the passage of time in regard to certain in-game effects. Is their anything I can do to rectify this issue?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Box Boy is a really well designed game and everyone should buy and play it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hunt11 posted:

In the process of dealing with a charging issue with my 3DS I had to take out the battery, but ever since I have done that it seems as though it does not register the passage of time in regard to certain in-game effects. Is their anything I can do to rectify this issue?

Probably something to do with the real time clock not running when the battery is out.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Hunt11 posted:

Taking out the battery invariably resets the system clock and many games that use the clock for date/time-based events disable anything from happening for a day if they detect a significant change from what they last remember. Probably to prevent someone from repeating events over and over using clock manipulation.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there a way to quickly read the story and tie-ins for Kirby without playing all the games? I'm interested, but I have a job.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm sure there's a wiki somewhere that breaks everything down to an embarrassing degree.

There's no overarching story or anything, the callbacks from game to game are mostly just "hey remember that boss from that one game, he's in the one now, who cares why".

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Just go to Kirby wiki and search for final bosses they will lead you to the tie ins to other games or bosses. Like how Dark Matter has huge amount of story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love how dark matter and 0 have, like, their own whole trilogy of kirby games

02 is, like, one of the freakiest final bosses in the series

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there a way to quickly read the story and tie-ins for Kirby without playing all the games? I'm interested, but I have a job.

I don't think there's much but it really isn't super deep. Just nudges like this that hint to future things, or maybe bosses will show up and won't be explained till the next game.

Like the hidden superboss of Triple Deluxe could kind of morph into Drawcia (the main villain of Canvas Curse) and if you paused it would mention how the soul is calling out to something or whatever. Next game in the Kirby line was Rainbow Curse which was... a sequel to Canvas and surprise there's some stuff there about it.

Lotta small linking things.

Kirby 2, 3 and 64 were straight up called the Dark Matter trilogy though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

The Colonel posted:

i love how dark matter and 0 have, like, their own whole trilogy of kirby games

02 is, like, one of the freakiest final bosses in the series

nah regular 0 is way freakier, big rear end eyeball that slits itself open to shoot blood at you and then

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yokai Watch is finally out in Europe, there's a thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750825

If you don't want to read that thread but do want to gawk at some not-pokemon, here's some news on the upcoming third game that takes place in the USA:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yokai Watch 3! The gimmick for this game is there are dual protagonists, Keita/Nate in the USA ("St. Peanutsburg") and the new girl character Inaho with USApyon in Japan ("Sakura New Town"). As you can see, there's a new grid-based battle system that involves moving medals around on the touchscreen, and there's also a new "dream watch" and some other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHtPM-RC7nU

Yes, the two versions for this all-American game are Sushi and Tempura:

They also added americanised versions of the mascot characters ("Tomnyan" and "KK Brothers") because of course they would:

...and here's some key art of your dirty American poltergeists:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You forgot the most important thing

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/726038738912993280

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

oh my god

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is all you need to know about the Kirby story: It Sucks.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm trying not to spoil myself on Robobot spoilers but I saw at least one word and I'm already incredibly excited. I gotta pre-order as soon as possible.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm glad Japan finally recognizes the importance of chicken nuggets. That one in the second to last pic is a giant chicken nugget right?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm glad Japan finally recognizes the importance of chicken nuggets. That one in the second to last pic is a giant chicken nugget right?

Whatever it is it plays baseball.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you haven't yet, read Chewbot's Oregon Trail LP as well. It's just as magical.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

To this day I can't tell if I should buy Yokai Watch. I like Pokemon, I like cute slice of life stuff, I like Yokai, and I don't care about difficulty in games so it should be absolutely my thing but there's something about it I feel like I should avoid for a dumb reason.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Its quite boring. But do try LBX.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I loaded up Fire Emblem Awakening for the first time in a while, and remembered how I got kinda stressed out by the expendable weapons and Master Seals and all that. Looks like I'm at Chapter 19. How much more game is there if I'm not necessarily gonna max out everything?

VVVVV cool thanks!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 29, 2016

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Minidust posted:

I loaded up Fire Emblem Awakening for the first time in a while, and remembered how I got kinda stressed out by the expendable weapons and Master Seals and all that. Looks like I'm at Chapter 19. How much more game is there if I'm not necessarily gonna max out everything?

You're in the final stretch of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

absolutely anything posted:

nah regular 0 is way freakier, big rear end eyeball that slits itself open to shoot blood at you and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXjmdcTbyXU

Kirby games always have something off about them.