Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Man that's good. Ever since DS1 I thought armor shouldn't be reinforceable because it discourages you from using situational armor, which was clearly being encouraged by the armor stat design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

Having gone through the game a few times now I'm aching for some background entertainment, and I loved watching DS2 streams/LP's back when I did a ton of runs in that game. Does anyone have any recommendations for DS3 LPs/streams? I've watched Lobos Jr's current stuff and EnB's ongoing LP, but considering how popular this game is there has to be more out there.

First playthrough stuff is very fun, but I also enjoy challenge runs (though I'm not a huge fan of the challenge run streams where the streamer just grunts once in a while.)

Super Best Friends Play have started up their DS3 LP, but it's only 5 parts in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhDVlPT654U - part 1

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Your Computer posted:

Having gone through the game a few times now I'm aching for some background entertainment, and I loved watching DS2 streams/LP's back when I did a ton of runs in that game. Does anyone have any recommendations for DS3 LPs/streams? I've watched Lobos Jr's current stuff and EnB's ongoing LP, but considering how popular this game is there has to be more out there.

First playthrough stuff is very fun, but I also enjoy challenge runs (though I'm not a huge fan of the challenge run streams where the streamer just grunts once in a while.)

Were you the same person that asked in the DS2 thread? I forget. I'll recommend Helloween4545 again just in case you weren't. Super chill, slightly insane British dude who I've been subscribed to for years now.

Here's the Dark Souls 2 LP playlist.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
The boss of Archdragon Peak just kind of died while I was wandering around? Is that supposed to happen? :confused:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

killed my first hacker :toot: yay for cliffs

e: uh..is there a known bug where you invade someone and they attempt the boss and the game doesn't make you leave their world

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 29, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

The boss of Archdragon Peak just kind of died while I was wandering around? Is that supposed to happen? :confused:

Despite having wings, and being able to use them, the dragon will sometimes fall off the cliff and die on it's own.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GulagDolls posted:

killed my first hacker :toot: yay for cliffs

e: uh..is there a known bug where you invade someone and they attempt the boss and the game doesn't make you leave their world

yeah. I don't know how the timing works, but I've definitely invaded someone who was already fighting their world boss, and I just got to chill outside the fog wall and watch both their health bars go up and down. in my case the host lost, so I still got my ember and invasion reward item!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

HGH posted:

Is it true using the Separation Crystal too much will get you softbanned?

Some guy on Reddit tested it by crystaling out like 100-200 times and didn't have any problems.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
I wasn't able to snap a screenshot, thanks spotty Uni wifi for dropping my connection :argh:, but I was just invaded by someone named Bruce Jenner.
Female character, male face.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
How the hell are people only around SL30 in the swamps and SL50 around the Pontiff? If I'm not actively watching it, my SL is always skyrocketed way past that, normally like 40's in the swamp and 60-70 by the time I reach the Pontiff. It's a loving mystery to me. After six characters I can't see why people's SL's would be so low.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Lol, why did i even try invading with anything other than a straightsword/UGS?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Lol, why did i even try invading with anything other than a straightsword/UGS?

for a brief moment you thought you had personality, originality, a desire to try new things and succeed despite the odds etc etc

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Your Computer posted:

I think BlueLizardJello is great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations everyone :kimchi:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Were you the same person that asked in the DS2 thread? I forget. I'll recommend Helloween4545 again just in case you weren't. Super chill, slightly insane British dude who I've been subscribed to for years now.

Here's the Dark Souls 2 LP playlist.

I've asked the same thing in the DS2 thread before, yeah. I don't know why but I like having LPs of the game running on my second monitor while doing my gimmick runs. I see you linked a DS2 LP but I've bookmarked it and will probably check that out too. Thanks!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Armor isn't completely useless, but you definitely don't want to waste too many points into vitality unless you really want to use heavy armor for fashion purposes. Wearing full Gundyr armor gets me around 27% physical reduction but I had to burn 2 ring slots and 14 levelups into vitality to be able to wear all of that and still use my weapon without going into fat roll territory. For comparison, wearing Leonhard's outfit gives me about 19% physical reduction while weighing about half as much, the amount of defense you gain goes up dramatically slower than equipment weight does.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is two handing a great scythe like the worst possible build? I finally did some PvP outside pontiff bonfire and just barely hit for any damage. My AR with a +6 is like 223, sharp scythe and 23 dex.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
One could argue that this is balanced by the increase in poise, making you able to take actions through increasingly tough hits as you go up in poise. But that's not a thing... it certainly feels like poise stat is weighted into the armor balancing though, which explains why heavier armor tends to suck.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I've gotten Yuria's ending, everyone bowing down to me, etc. Where can I find her stuff? She's still in her usual space in fire link.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone :kimchi:

I've asked the same thing in the DS2 thread before, yeah. I don't know why but I like having LPs of the game running on my second monitor while doing my gimmick runs. I see you linked a DS2 LP but I've bookmarked it and will probably check that out too. Thanks!

Oh. Woops! Apparently I saw the first half of your post and not the second. Hurr.

That said, Hell will be starting up a DS3 LP in a week or two so in like a few months there will be a full playlist to link you. :v:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

mastershakeman posted:

Is two handing a great scythe like the worst possible build? I finally did some PvP outside pontiff bonfire and just barely hit for any damage. My AR with a +6 is like 223, sharp scythe and 23 dex.

great scythe uses sweet spot damage, which means your scythe's hitbox has to touch the opponent with the blade part. if the game thinks that the handle part hit your enemy instead, you deal reduced damage. with how wonky the latency can get during online pvp, you can imagine how difficult it can become to approximate whether or not you are actually hitting your opponent with the blade of the scythe based on visual confirmation alone.

edit: also sharp might not be the best infusion for great scythe and even if it is, you'd get the best gains at 40 DEX and +10 reinforcement. it's hard to say offhand because apparently weapon scaling was done by hand, weapon by weapon, and the changes to scaling based on infusions was also done by hand.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

The bosses in this game are almost all amazing, I love them.

It should have been Solaire, Lord of Cinder though so we can see who the true monsters who kills their good friend are. :v:

I mean, redgrave mentioned this, but Solaire is part of the last boss in a way, since he linked the fire in his world.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The final boss was definitely the best endboss in the mainline Souls games, though I'd still rate Gehrman above them all (the Moon Presence is more of a victory lap, really).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Faffel posted:

for a brief moment you thought you had personality, originality, a desire to try new things and succeed despite the odds etc etc

Must supress urge to enjoy game...

In other news, Poise reaches a new low as a dead enemy ragdolls me off a rafter in archives.

Also did you knwo that fat angel knights can spin to win on said rafters without falling down?

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 29, 2016

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Oxxidation posted:

The final boss was definitely the best endboss in the mainline Souls games, though I'd still rate Gehrman above them all (the Moon Presence is more of a victory lap, really).

Gehrman is probably my favourite Soulsborne boss. The music in that fight is loving incredible.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
How are faith builds for PvP? I'm not through the game yet (been enjoying invading at Cathedral) but already my black knight greataxe str build is feeling boring and I kind of wanted to reroll. The only builds I've seen were a sorc build that gets some sort of hyper beam, a pyro build with various chaos stuff, and a million straight sword builds

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Eh. Doing the DLC (hellooo, Lady Maria) before beating the game probably did Gehrman few favors on my playthrough, but I wasn't blown away by that fight. DS3's finale is probably a bit easier, but the presentation is so good that I'll happily forgive it for that.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rafza posted:

How are faith builds for PvP? I'm not through the game yet (been enjoying invading at Cathedral) but already my black knight greataxe str build is feeling boring and I kind of wanted to reroll. The only builds I've seen were a sorc build that gets some sort of hyper beam, a pyro build with various chaos stuff, and a million straight sword builds

Depends.
Is your faith build backed up by a straight sword?
If yes, good.
If no, bad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

homeless poster posted:

great scythe uses sweet spot damage, which means your scythe's hitbox has to touch the opponent with the blade part. if the game thinks that the handle part hit your enemy instead, you deal reduced damage. with how wonky the latency can get during online pvp, you can imagine how difficult it can become to approximate whether or not you are actually hitting your opponent with the blade of the scythe based on visual confirmation alone.

edit: also sharp might not be the best infusion for great scythe and even if it is, you'd get the best gains at 40 DEX and +10 reinforcement. it's hard to say offhand because apparently weapon scaling was done by hand, weapon by weapon, and the changes to scaling based on infusions was also done by hand.

Yea, I knew about the hitbox for the handle. It just seems my dex build sucks and I should probably stop doing under 25% weight while two handing and all rolls all day. Maybe offhand claw to parry with?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Xenolalia posted:

I mean, redgrave mentioned this, but Solaire is part of the last boss in a way, since he linked the fire in his world.

I'd be careful of considering dev interview stuff as part of the game, personally. That comment in particular I have never seen the source interview for.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also did you knwo that fat angel knights can spin to win on said rafters without falling down?

Yes.

The better way to kill those fatties, is lure them down the stairs into the corner next to the half wall. After they charge sprint to the other side of the wall. None of their flying anime attacks will fly over it. Then just throw chaos fireballs at the wall in till they die.

Working as intended.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The more I think about Aldrich the more confused I get. Supposedly dude just ate people until he got so fat he congealed into horrorterror nightmare slime. But like... did nobody have any concern over their pope's eating habits? Presumably they were afraid he'd just eat them if the spoke against him but it couldn't be very hard to outrun a guy that probably can't even move anymore. And how does getting inhumanly fat equate to turning into a slime monster? :psyduck:

Aldrich isn't so much a corpulent mash of bodies like the rotten or even covetous demon but he's more abyssal/dark like those corrupted oolacile jerks, except branded with his flavor of weird - his insatiable hunger ran as rampant as Manus' extreme want from DS1. Even his shady compatriots had misgivings about him but he was stupid powerful so welp, dudes just went along for mister bones' blob's wild ride

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gzcgx/warning_cheaters_can_now_get_you_softbanned_and/

Someone tell me not to be worried about this and regret getting DS3 on PC instead of PS4. I'm sure it's no big deal because this kind of poo poo could've happened in DS2 and never did to me but I'm a paranoid motherfucker so :v:

No, this absolutely could not happen in DS2.

DS2 straight-up did not allow you to apply arbitrary special effects to weapon strikes or bullets, the best you could do was add Petrify AR.

This is a uniquely DS1-era fuckup. It has been made worse by trolls releasing this crap to the public in an easy-to-use form.

This said, I'm reasonably sure Soulsucker does not actually work on other players. It just displays the message.

...Unless there's one I missed that does work.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Any advice for the Storm King fight? I can't seem to figure out how to best avoid the overhead fire breathing attack, and it often double-taps me for fatal (but strangely, not always for some reason; another variable I can't seem to wrap my head around or strategize for). I've only seen the 2nd phase once. Seems if he doesn't do that attack or if I just get lucky and survive it then the first phase doesn't take too much, but... halp?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Obligatum VII posted:

WELL THEN. I'm gonna go see if I can manage to surprise one-shot people in PvP later. That'd be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7SAF-So9Pc

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Speaking of advice on fights is there a reasonable way to deal with Lorian solo or should I just succumb to summoning?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

In the first episode he says

"Here's poise displayed very clearly. I'm guessing it will probably have more of an impact in this game." :allears:

RIP in peace, Poise. You were too good for this world.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Xeras posted:

Speaking of advice on fights is there a reasonable way to deal with Lorian solo or should I just succumb to summoning?

pyromancy and roll

Merauder posted:

Any advice for the Storm King fight? I can't seem to figure out how to best avoid the overhead fire breathing attack, and it often double-taps me for fatal (but strangely, not always for some reason; another variable I can't seem to wrap my head around or strategize for). I've only seen the 2nd phase once. Seems if he doesn't do that attack or if I just get lucky and survive it then the first phase doesn't take too much, but... halp?

if you stay to the left of the dragon head he'll never do it. Don't attack the legs, just stay directly to the left of the head.

If he does the overhead fire you stood in the wrong place.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Merauder posted:

If he flies straight up in a hurry and breaks your lock on, turn away from the nearest edge of the arena, start running, and don't stop until he's started breathing fire and you're not on fire. He only has one other attack that involves flying (as opposed to hopping) and it's transparently obvious when he's doing that as opposed to the fire breath.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Merauder posted:

fire breath is based on positioning. if you spend too long under the dragon he jumps up to do napalm breath. you want to spend most of the fight slightly in front of his head so you can dodge the spear attacks without baiting the napalm. if he does jump up for the fire attack you need to just run straight back the opposite direction you're facing, don't roll. if you run as soon as you see him leaping and you aren't over 70% equip load you should be able to out pace it, but you have to run like the second he jumps in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Merauder posted:

When hes on the dragon stay out front so he doesn't try to fly around and reposition as much. Smack the dragons face. Bait the regular fire attack so you can roll through and hit his face more.

2nd phase: The only strategy is to roll through all his attacks. He has a pretty steady combo tempo so you should be able to figure out when you can attack. Don't try to attack/drink more than once at a time. If you mess up twice in a fight youve probably lost.