Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yardbomb posted:

It's because duels 9 times out of 10 are actually gonna be you just getting summoned into an instant death, red signing is worse than it's ever been right now probably.

You should probably host the duels if you are experiencing that 9 out of 10 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Melanion posted:

I really hope some of the pro-invasion people in the last few pages have invaded me at some point in my playtime and been terribly frustrated when I do absolutely everything possible short of yanking my ethernet cable in order to not engage them.

Some of us despise PvP but there are tangible benefits to playing embered and online, so enjoy dashing after me toward the fog door or whatever.

Good Lord.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I don't understand this Hollowing/Dark Sigil/ Yoel stuff AT ALL. Can I get a baby's first guide on it? At least just a few words telling me how not to be dumb.

Though, to be fair, I healed the Dark Sigil already. Maybe I read it wrong, but I think I had read that I couldn't get the free levels anymore so I killed that little hunchback because I got bored. What have I done? What should I do in my next playthrough?

You're right that healing the Dark Sigil locked you out of any further progress down that quest line. Yoel would've died anyway eventually.

So here's the breakdown of how to do the whole thing if you want to in the future. I'll throw the whole thing in spoiler tags in case anyone here doesn't know and doesn't want to:

Yoel gives you up to five free levels based on how hollow you are. The first one is what enables hollowing. Then, when you die and get more hollow, he'll offer you another. Each free level comes with a Dark Sigil. When you get five Dark Sigils, Yoel keels over and a woman named Yuria shows up in Firelink Shrine. Yuria has a quest line involving Anri that leads to a third ending. However, if you at any point have the Fire Keeper heal your Dark Sigils, Yuria will leave and never return. Using a Purging Stone to remove your hollowing is fine, just don't heal the Dark Sigils.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

I know, right? That first sentence is just a grammatical mess. I am ashamed.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Melanion posted:

I really hope some of the pro-invasion people in the last few pages have invaded me at some point in my playtime and been terribly frustrated when I do absolutely everything possible short of yanking my ethernet cable in order to not engage them.

Some of us despise PvP but there are tangible benefits to playing embered and online, so enjoy dashing after me toward the fog door or whatever.

The only time you'll get invaded while embered is if you summon people to help because of how this game's invasion "queue" is setup, and if you're summoning people before you get to the boss door you have bigger problems in the game than not wanting to fight invaders, like getting good enough at the game to kill normal Mobs without needing people holding your hands.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Melanion posted:

Sorry, but according to this thread you are playing the game wrong and definitely don't represent an attitude I see absolutely everywhere.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I summoned about 25 reds with the signs at popeporch and had honorable duels with all of them. Gotta get that Giant Tree Seed to spawn somehow so I can finally get these drat iron leggings! :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Melanion posted:

Frankly, as long as you don't Alt+F4 or disconnect, it's fair game. :shrug:

I hope you're at least in Way of Blue when you're embered and not sunbro'ing so a Sentinel/Darkmoon has a chance to come and have some fun engaging your invader for you. That's the point of Way of Blue: if you don't like PvP but want to still play online and ember up from time to time, Way of Blue gives you a chance to have someone who does want to fight an invader come and do so for you.

Wagrid posted:

Sorry, but according to this thread you are playing the game wrong and definitely don't represent an attitude I see absolutely everywhere.

I think you're misreading us pro-invasion folks, or at least me (I guess I can't speak for everyone). I think invasions are about playing dirty on both sides. The host should do everything they can to survive and the invader should do everything they can to kill the host. Period.

My issue is that I think the game, as it is set up now, makes it too difficult for the invader to have fun in the process. One of the issues is how many friendly phantoms a host can summon even without a Dried Finger, and how the invader is always alone (unless you're in Irithyll and an Aldrich Faithful comes along) no matter how many phantoms the host has. If the host wants to run away and try to escape through the fog door, that poo poo is fair game.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 29, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

NTT posted:

I summoned about 25 reds with the signs at popeporch and had honorable duels with all of them. Gotta get that Giant Tree Seed to spawn somehow so I can finally get these drat iron leggings! :argh:

did you lose each duel. it spawns after you kill one invader. i dunno if red soap ppl count as invaders.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The only time you'll get invaded while embered is if you summon people to help because of how this game's invasion "queue" is setup, and if you're summoning people before you get to the boss door you have bigger problems in the game than not wanting to fight invaders, like getting good enough at the game to kill normal Mobs without needing people holding your hands.

I get invaded all the time playing solo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

voltron lion force posted:

You should probably host the duels if you are experiencing that 9 out of 10 times

I really don't see them anywhere either most times, I can only assume a lot of people already came to that same conclusion of"Man, red sign sucks rear end" and decided to just invade instead. :v:

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

This is demonstrably false. I have never summoned any helpful phantom except directly in front of a boss door and I've been invaded many times while progressing through a level embered. Though now I think about it they mostly had the 'area guard' tags on their names so it's possible you don't get invaded solo outside Farron/Anor Londo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This loving game. Each update causes my USB devices to disconnect and go insane more frequently than when the game launched. I just turned in the xanthus ashes to the maiden, still on my first rip through the game. My computer made the USB disconnect sounds and my controller went dead. I pressed esc on my keyboard trying to close the game properly and the camera started spinning in circles and my dude attacked and one shot the old lady. I hate this game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yo this is not true at all. I've been invaded and I've never summoned anyone (other than for boss fights but in those cases there's not really time to invade since we enter the fog right after).

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Why do the people who post on this forum like the word Demonstrably so much

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

You get invaded plenty if you're embered and alone. Summoning a phantom just prioritizes you.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Melanion posted:

Nice meltdown.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yardbomb posted:

I really don't see them anywhere either most times, I can only assume a lot of people already came to that same conclusion of"Man, red sign sucks rear end" and decided to just invade instead. :v:

The area outside after pontiff is covered in them starting at sl60 up to probably 120 or so

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah, I've been invaded plenty of times while solo. It tends to be rare because people playing with Ember up are usually summoning help, instead of being a weirdo like me who just wants some extra HP to help in getting through the level.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even if you don't like PvP at all you should really just try standing and fighting in this game. Hosts have a health advantage and can guarantee a numbers one outside of defense areas by staying in WotB. The fact that people can't effectively twink anymore means invasions aren't going to be hopeless for you from the start.

What's the worst case scenario anyways? You die? Wow that must really suck, the thing that happens on a regular basis.

NTT posted:

I think the invasions have to be random for a seed to spawn. Just try rubbing the dried fingers on your face.

Cicadalek posted:

You get invaded plenty if you're embered and alone. Summoning a phantom just prioritizes you.

"Plenty" is an exaggeration. I always play embered and solo and very rarely get invasions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Irithyll, right past the Pontiff bonfire, is where everyone who wants fair duels is hanging out. The Kiln is gank city.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Melanion posted:

This is demonstrably false. I have never summoned any helpful phantom except directly in front of a boss door and I've been invaded many times while progressing through a level embered. Though now I think about it they mostly had the 'area guard' tags on their names so it's possible you don't get invaded solo outside Farron/Anor Londo.

It's probably the area guard thing. I generally play embered and I've been invaded playing solo maybe four times outside of those areas.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Szcwczuk posted:

Nice meltdown.

Come on mate it's like you're not even trying. 0/10

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I see red signs around bonfires reasonably often. I wish there was a dragon eye though for gank-free duels

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Why do the people who post on this forum like the word Demonstrably so much

it combines the words demon and monster

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's one of the Big Smart Words. like "objectively"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wildtortilla posted:

This loving game. Each update causes my USB devices to disconnect and go insane more frequently than when the game launched. I just turned in the xanthus ashes to the maiden, still on my first rip through the game. My computer made the USB disconnect sounds and my controller went dead. I pressed esc on my keyboard trying to close the game properly and the camera started spinning in circles and my dude attacked and one shot the old lady. I hate this game.

I've been having this same issue actually, more than any other game I've played DS3 sure loves to have random disconnects with my controller.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Melanion posted:

You do get invaded solo, but it's been a rare experience for me, maybe only twice in my first playthrough and I was embered most of the time. Territorial covenants are a different story, like you say.

Meanwhile, the couple times I've summoned players for co-op, I've been invaded nearly instantly. I'd guess the system is prioritizing worlds where hosts have phantoms, which is what is frustrating invaders so much, because it seems like you very rarely run into a solo host.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if you invade into a 2v1 or 3v1 scenario, please please please try your very best to win. it might take a while or seem hopeless and you might have to change your build or what weapon you use or alter your strategy to be more complicated than "run in a straight line directly towards the host" but seriously, to everyone that is frustrated with invasion being mostly 2v1 and 3v1 encounters, it is maximally loving rewarding to practice and practice and finally start winning against those odds. you won't win a lot at first, but your first victory is so sweet, and if you keep at it, eventually you'll start going 50/50, and if you really keep it up, you can get even better from there. my advice:

pick a single zone to invade and stick with it. when you're facing 2 or 3 on 1 odds you need to know where to stage the fight based on where you encounter the host group. are they all clumped together, or are they spread out? if they're already spread out, great, you've got a very small window to try and kill a straggler before the rest of the team figures out what's going on. if they're clumped together, then you need to get them to relocate to an area that benefits you better - something with narrow hallways/tunnels or twisting stairs/inclines are good, because it forces them to have to queue up and prevents them from just surrounding you.

it's possible the host & phantoms will post up at a bonfire and refuse to leave. do you really want to bother with this encounter? black crystal out and save yourself the frustration. If you do want to try and tough it out, you need to find a way to smoke them out. pyro poison/acid/toxic fog can be nice, not because they're super effective at killing people, but the lingering damage effect freaks people out and at least forces them to move out of the area for a minute. other AoE attacks at least encourage them to maybe come out and fight you instead of sitting around in turtle formation. did you not bring anything other than your estoc +10? you might need to black crystal out here.

watch your own passive icon bar under your stamina to see when a seed of a giant tree is popped. it will add a mini seed icon to your bar so you know that now all the monsters in the level are hostile to you. a lot of hosts think that auto-solves an invasion, and will combine this with turtling up at a bonfire. fun fact: now that monsters will aggro you, you can pull the classic everquest lower guk routine and try to pick up a conga line of every monster in the zone and then run them back to the bonfire the host is hiding at! sure, not every monster will leash to you all the way to whatever bonfire, but it's not something everybody will expect. bonus fun: even if you don't live to see the host die, if you can train enough monsters back to the bonfire, you still "win" when the host inevitably dies.

don't be afraid to get aggressive around going after phantoms. phantoms usually do a great job watching the host's back, but I've noticed a lot of hosts don't give two shits about protecting the phantoms they're summoning (especially if they're just mashing the summon button over every sigil to try and keep you busy). if you're a mound maker, it's actually easier to get your quota killing phantoms in a lot of cases because the host tends not to put a lot of effort into protecting them, and likewise they don't even tend to do a good job of watching out for each other.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Harrow posted:

Irithyll, right past the Pontiff bonfire, is where everyone who wants fair duels is hanging out. The Kiln is gank city.

I've actually had a pretty decent time dueling at the Kiln. Though I generally host rather than lay down a sign, which is probably why.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 29, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

net cafe scandal posted:

Open you matchmaking region, because you must be the only open invasion target. that's how the invasion system works. The more phantoms the higher up the queue you are, and dried finger puts you at the tippity top no matter what. Area defenders "invade" anyone at random in that area, I don't believe there's a priority system other than dried finger in place in those areas.

With how awful people are at this game invasions on solo players is stupidly rare because there's always a higher priority target running around with two phantoms at all times.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Speaking personally, I think it betrays my own insecurity about making statements of fact. If I just say 'this is false' then it's me saying believe this thing because I said it. Add the 'demonstrably' in there and it's more like believe this thing because I have evidence to support it.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I play always embered and I've only ever been invaded once.

???

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Your Computer posted:

Come on mate it's like you're not even trying. 0/10

I'm not, putting effort into a reply to someone that obtuse is hardly worth it. If you don't like invasions don't play that half of the game. Don't post saying how cool and awesome you are for acting like a jackass. Just play offline. You don't get to pick and chose what parts of online play you want to "deal with".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the worst case scenario anyways? You die? Wow that must really suck, the thing that happens on a regular basis.

The difference is pretty significant. If you die in PvE it was your own drat fault, dying because a jerk invaded you and while you were fighting mobs isn't.

You can stop progressing and wait for the invader to come to you, but most times that won't happen. They're there to be a dick, so they'll probably hide until you start progressing again and then kill you while you're busy. Again, people love these games because of the intense-but-fair gameplay and getting invaded by a dick is not part of that.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I think I've been invaded once by a red while playing solo (40-ish hrs), and I'm embered 100% of the time. Watchdog/Faithful invasions are basically guaranteed even while solo the first time you go through the areas, and then if you come back after a while and are within the general level range.

I think the group priority thing is lame because it just leads to situations where bad players who legitimately need help get invaded (and whine about it), or the thing invaders whine about where you get sent into 3v1s constantly. Overall it's not a terrible idea but it's weighted way too heavily to groups.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wagrid posted:

It's probably the area guard thing. I generally play embered and I've been invaded playing solo maybe four times outside of those areas.

I get red non-NPC invaders at least twice in my first run through of every level.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I have some pyromancy questions:
- How hard did they nerf great chaos fire orb?
- Does carthus flame arc add a flat amount of damage, or does it change depending on the weapon you're buffing?
- Will a raw infusion + CFA typically outperform a chaos-infused weapon? I can still see myself preferring chaos for the convenience of it if the difference is small enough.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The High Wall and bonfire after Sulyvahn have people dueling there constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

From is just really bad at balancing PvP.

This is so true. In armored core they didn't want people fighting in close range so they added that every mech gets the miracle explosion around them that would almost 1 shot everyone.

This was in a game where sometimes in long range combat, both would completely run out of ammo. It didn't hurt blade combat because the game was so fast using blades was already impossible.