Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DStecks posted:

This is objectively incorrect. Whether you believe they are achieving it, it is their stated goal with Doom 4.

looks like they're going to fail at that goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rage I actually rather enjoyed, but getting to the end felt like literally watching the budget dwindle out. "And now the final part of the ga- what, it's over?"

Rage spent too much time on an open-world that never justified its existence and not on designing more dungeons for doing shoot-man things.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

looks like they're going to fail at that goal.

Yep. All released gameplay is not manic enough and moves way too slow, especially with the execution moves dragging the action down. I don't think we've seen a single level where there's more than five guys in it, compared to original Doom where you could be facing hordes of foes. Nothing I've seen looks like it will have the same intensity as say Toxin Refinery or The Gantlet or Dead Simple.

It's like a repeat of the same mistakes of Doom 3.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doom3 was interesting for about five minutes until half life 2 came along. Maybe this new doom will herald HL3 :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Doom 4 not only looks to have modern generic fast shooter gameplay and QTE finishers (which slow down gameplay even if they 'look brutal') but the box art for it was the most hilariously generic-as-gently caress thing possible. Then after everyone made fun of them they went and made a (reversible) cover of box art that the game should've actually had to start with:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/3/11153454/doom-2016-reversible-box-art-id-software-bethesda

IIRC the original generic cover was defended with a "well it looks like Halo/CoD/etc so people who play those will be drawn to it" defense too.

DStecks posted:

The secret to id was that 1) they had a team with wild dreamers, 2) who were willing to compromise their dreams because of the technological limitations of the day, 3) they had a legitimately genius programmer on the team, maybe the greatest to ever work in games, 4) at a time when what was possible in PC games was making rapid leaps and bounds, so having a John Carmack on the team meant that they could do things other studios did not have the capability to do, not just to do the same things but prettier; 5) the team as a whole had tastes that aligned with that of the rapidly growing internet community of the early 90's, 6) which nobody else at the time was really serving. DOOM was the right game in the right time in the right place, and id were exactly the people to make it. You can't catch lightning in a bottle like that.

It's still criminal how good Ultima Underworld's game engine was and how that went largely unnoticed by pretty much everyone. Underworld came out before DOOM and the engine was able to do things DOOM 1&2 never could at the time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Would the people who are salty about a modern FPS trying to market to regular people not poo poo up this thread with their tried commentary on the new Doom game tia.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rage I actually rather enjoyed, but getting to the end felt like literally watching the budget dwindle out. "And now the final part of the ga- what, it's over?"

Too Human ended the same way, setting the story up for a sequel that never came.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rage was John Carmack you goofs

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Would the people who are salty about a modern FPS trying to market to regular people not poo poo up this thread with their tried commentary on the new Doom game tia.
Especially when we could be talking about the woman behind the Kickstarter for that idiotic Social Autopsy site melting the gently caress down and getting suckered by Gamergate and, later, by literal white supremists/MRAs.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guy Mann posted:

How about no

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

https://www.gofundme.com/6pqyfruc

1) why is it called "nighty light" if it doesn't have a light
2) why wouldn't you put a picture or some words in your ad that demonstrated the "invention" aspect
3) how much did this ad cost
4) i'm sorry :(

Yes, this just makes me sad for some reason. Whomever made this seems... bad at life

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I bought a penthouse in Dallas
To show John Carmack I was cool
But when we finally shipped the game
It was late and it was lame
But gently caress it, I had something to prove
I'm living in Ireland
I grow my hair long just to prove
I'm a kickin' rad duder
I can make an awesome shooter
It'll have a dozen settings or two

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Guy Mann posted:

I like the look of the new DOOM, and I liked TNO. I'm hoping it's TNO+ with demons. It doesn't look like OG DOOM, but I suppose it's hard to improve on perfection.

edit: gently caress that would not have been worth it.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Apr 28, 2016

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Tiberius Thyben posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nightworkgames/blackroom-a-new-fps-from-romero-and-carmack?token=07458251

John Romero's new lovely game venture. Among other things, the technology megacorp is a lovely anagram of Haxor, and he still hasn't let go of the completely disparate levels idea from Daikatana. It's just holograms now instead of time travel.

This has already been cancelled :lol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

the onion wizard posted:

This has already been cancelled :lol:

Welp, that was fast :munch:

I wonder what happened

quote:

You asked for it, and you’re getting it: a gameplay demo of BLACKROOM.

There’s a hitch here, a hitch that’s making us do something that’s right for the game, the team, and the community: we’re pressing “PAUSE” on the fundraising campaign for BLACKROOM to complete this gameplay demo.

They really should have thought of that before ever starting, yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Zaphod42 posted:

Welp, that was fast :munch:

I wonder what happened

They really should have thought of that before ever starting, yeah.

and its a backers only update for some reason

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

It's really weird that people would want footage of the actual game before giving you money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in his defense people gave 5 million to shenmue 3 with nothing shown in addition to the first two games being relics.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I don't think he realised just how far his star has faded. Nostalgia veterans can still cash in without footage, but he's leaned on his name without delivering enough that he doesn't get that luxury.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think John Romero realizes that his last major contribution to gaming was Daikatana.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think John Romero realizes that his last major contribution to gaming was Daikatana.

That would explain why he is trying to make it again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Most of the classic devs who hit it big on Kickstarter are people who worked for publishers and could handwave away any criticism of their games with "it was the publisher's fault!", Romero doesn't have that excuse because iD and Ion Storm were the poster children of developer-driven game development and that's exactly why it bombed; long before the Megaman guy was spending more time trying make an anime than his own game or Tim Shafer was splitting games in half despite getting seven times his budget, Romero was endlessly delaying Daikatana every time a new engine came out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Since his kickstarter farted out on the first at-bat, perhaps the gaming public at large has made him their bitch?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Tim Shafer was splitting games in half despite getting seven times his budget,
It will never cease to be hilarious how salty that made people for no clear reason.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TetsuoTW posted:

It will never cease to be hilarious how salty that made people for no clear reason.

It will never cease to be hilarious how people will handwave any criticism or mockey of a thing by swearing that you must be, like, so incredibly mad.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Guy Mann posted:

Most of the classic devs who hit it big on Kickstarter are people who worked for publishers and could handwave away any criticism of their games with "it was the publisher's fault!".
Tom Hall also had a rather dismal attempt with "Old school RPG" where the pitch was he and Brenda Braithwaite teaming together to create two "old school RPGs" which basically was a pitch asking for blank cheque as they had no idea what the game was to be about, no settings or anything to draw you in.
Also keep in mind this was launched on the eve of the Baulder's Gate remake plus XCOM and Dark Souls had just come out proving that publishers were keen on creating games that were challenging.

Plus Romero worked at Loot Drop at the time with one backer reward being he'd deliver a boxed copy of the game on a pillow to your door.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The wrong Carmack.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

WebDog posted:

Plus Romero worked at Loot Drop at the time with one backer reward being he'd deliver a boxed copy of the game on a pillow to your door.

Keiji Eno of WARP would deliver the limited edition of Enemy Zero to your house on a back of his truck. Said game was packed in a wooden crate and contained stuff like costumes previously worn by companion girls at the 96' TGS and actual development docs: http://magweasel.com/2009/12/10/greatest-special-edition-ever-goes-for-3400/

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Teen Girl Squad existed back in 1996?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

laserghost posted:

Lot of promises, no proof-of-concept footage, and ridiculous "achievements" for promoting the Kickstarter. That's a new one - a game, without the game itself.

Hey it worked for Star Citizen sooooo

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
All of the video game kickstarters I've seen that got funded were already in an advanced state of development, like they had playable bulids and everything. Kickstarter video games seem to work best as 'we have a product, we need cash to finish it, not 'here's some concept art and an ideas guy'.

Like The Flame in the Flood was fairly finished when it was Kickstarted, and it's come out to postitive reviews. We Happy Few also looks pretty finished, but we'll see when that comes out. A few pieces of concept art or a vague idea doesn't mean much, regardless of if you've got an industry legend or some amateurs. it's a shame, because crowdfunding enables developers to make really cool niche games.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cool concept art used to be all you needed to get funded, but then a bunch of those crashed and burned and people mostly wised up and stopped giving money to games with nothing to show (with a few very notable exceptions).

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Speaking of video games kickstarters with not much substance, Mighty No. 9 is releasing June 21.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ce gars posted:

Speaking of video games kickstarters with not much substance, Mighty No. 9 is releasing June 21.

This and Massive Chalice have basically made me shy away from Kickstarter for games. It's finally coming out, and I seriously could not care any less at this point. At least there'll be something to show for it now, at least.

e: Massive Chalice got released more-or-less on time, but it was incredibly disappointing.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 17:29 on May 2, 2016

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Same here. I backed it, but delays mixed with kinda poo poo looking gameplay doesn't really give me high hopes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ce gars posted:

lol no it isn't, I'm sure they'll delay it again for some, or no, reason.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

OldMemes posted:

All of the video game kickstarters I've seen that got funded were already in an advanced state of development, like they had playable bulids and everything. Kickstarter video games seem to work best as 'we have a product, we need cash to finish it, not 'here's some concept art and an ideas guy'.

Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Banner Saga, Satellite Reign, Broken Age...those all started out as just ideas.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think something I've learned through this is that, while having a working prototype (like Indivisible), or even some in-game footage (like Hyper Light Drifter) is incredibly important, there's also a big difference between "Tim Schafer and his established company have a story idea for an adventure game" and "Keiji Inafune wants to start a new company to make another MegaMan game".

e: Oh, wait, Comcept was an established company before the campaign? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpacePig posted:

I think something I've learned through this is that, while having a working prototype (like Indivisible), or even some in-game footage (like Hyper Light Drifter) is incredibly important, there's also a big difference between "Tim Schafer and his established company have a story idea for an adventure game" and "Keiji Inafune wants to start a new company to make another MegaMan game".

e: Oh, wait, Comcept was an established company before the campaign? What the gently caress?

The real lesson is "even really good game designers aren't necessarily good software managers"

How you actually tell who has the right group of people together though is pretty much impossible. Its a crapshoot with how little information you have to go off of.

Kickstarter is generally a terrible idea and there's not much reason not to wait and buy things after they're done. I've contributed to fewer and fewer projects over time, but it should always just be a "well you guys are cool, good luck with that!" donation and nothing more.