Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I finally settled on going with Sellsword Twinblades for my dex build, infused them with the sharp gem, buffed them to +3... then 5 minutes later I get the Crystal Sage Rapier... it's 20 less AR for double the item drops? Welp, looks like I'll have to use this then for everything in the rest of the game except boss fights.

Equip the rapier in your off-hand, two-hand the twinblades. Bam, you have your swords, and you still get the item find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

hampig posted:

I know people are having all sorts of non-summon and disconnection issues right now, but even without them you're probably about 10 levels too low. Level 30 I got 10 swordgrass in a decent afternoon of ganking people with my giant crab buddies.

Oh, I know I'm definitely on the low end. I just thought it was funny that I ground up 55 level ups worth of souls in the time it took me to PVE my way through a PVP covenant. But now, the game world is my oyster and I'm still eating at the McDonald's of Raw straightswords because I still haven't decided what build to go with. My last run was with an Uchigatana that I swapped out for a Washing Pole and it was nice, but I want something different that'll hopefully not make me invader-bait. I want to play with magic but I know anyone with two brain cells to rub together will roll away most of it, and I'm awful at manually aiming pyromancy so that's probably out too. Maybe a luck build? I could use my Barbed Straight Sword for it but I'm still 3 zones away before I can get the required coal for it, and I don't want to murder poor Anri.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Zero VGS posted:

I finally settled on going with Sellsword Twinblades for my dex build, infused them with the sharp gem, buffed them to +3... then 5 minutes later I get the Crystal Sage Rapier... it's 20 less AR for double the item drops? Welp, looks like I'll have to use this then for everything in the rest of the game except boss fights.

Stick with the twinblades, and keep the CSR in your offhand to keep that Item Find buff, it's what I do on all my dex characters.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really hate the weapon tier system.

All I wanna do is mid-level invade and help people out at all levels, why does it have to even be on the friggin co-op when I'm likely not using my highest leveled weapon most of the time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just got invaded, won, got invaded again, couldn't find the guy, got stabbed by a silver knight off the place where the three what do you call it, imps? lightning spear imps? Where they'd have been? Anyway I didn't die. I'm down here on the bottom of the world and I'm alive and getting invaded, and protected, forever.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Just wanted to say that Champion Gundyr was an absolutely amazing boss and one of my favorites in the entire Souls series.

That boss was a perfect combination of feeling totally doable while also relentlessly sweeping my rear end up and down the curb. Definitely my favorite fight in DS3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Misread that... 50% more items. Still, I'm way to greedy and grindy to resist its crystal charms.

Crystal Sage Rapier's AR is misleading because the damage is split between physical and magic. That means it has to go through two layers of flat defense and will do less damage than a weapon with less AR that's pure physical.

Keep it in your offhand and you get the item find buff, even if you're dual-wielding the twinblades.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Decided to try out FTH to see if I was correct in assuming that it sucks. Mediocre news: it sucks. On the spear Hollows in Crucixifion Woods, a direct-to-the-face Lightning Spear with both rings at 50 FTH, with a +10 Saint's Talisman, does approximately 511 damage. Sunlight Blade on my Drakeblood Greatsword does something like 540 on every light swing. Seems okay to me!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Davinci posted:

Just wanted to say that Champion Gundyr was an absolutely amazing boss and one of my favorites in the entire Souls series.

That boss was a perfect combination of feeling totally doable while also relentlessly sweeping my rear end up and down the curb. Definitely my favorite fight in DS3.

Much like with the silver archers in 1, I feel like I'm from an alternate reality on that guy. Soloed him first try - he's fun as hell, but for whatever reason I was able to sword and board him with only somewhat more trouble than Oceiros.

Really fun and loving hilarious concept though - he's the tutorial boss turned up to twelve. :v:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Harrow posted:

Crystal Sage Rapier's AR is misleading because the damage is split between physical and magic. That means it has to go through two layers of flat defense and will do less damage than a weapon with less AR that's pure physical.

Keep it in your offhand and you get the item find buff, even if you're dual-wielding the twinblades.

I saw in the patch notes that they adjusted the Dancer's twinblades since they have a garbo 3-way split with damage, I wonder if they fixed that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Only reason you have to be deliberate now is if you press roll twice, you for sure are going to roll twice no matter what.

I find the game constantly eats my queued up moves and then doesn't do them and I stare at my screen as Dragonslayer Armour hits me with the followup I knew was coming.

Also, I don't know why they made the double-sip timing so precise, I pressed the button twice, give me my double-sip!

Oh and there's also a bug(?) where if you tap the roll button while coming to a stop your character does nothing. Discovered that in Bloodborne and found it here again.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Everyone please name your characters [name] of [location in the souls world]

And make them appropriate to the character. No Baldurs using magic.
already ahead of you baby

benhart of jugo, level 30 piece of poo poo with a greatblue moonsword

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Much like with the silver archers in 1, I feel like I'm from an alternate reality on that guy. Soloed him first try - he's fun as hell, but for whatever reason I was able to sword and board him with only somewhat more trouble than Oceiros.

Really fun and loving hilarious concept though - he's the tutorial boss turned up to twelve. :v:

From what people have said, a shield makes the fight a lot easier. Try him without a shield next time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I found a good hiding spot

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Invaders should be able to summon for help via red and purple signs; and there should be a red cop covenant that invades ganksquads that are invaded.

Basically I want 5v5 fights.

This is like 500 posts ago, but I had this idea for a covenant all the way back in Dark Souls 1. Like an invader-helper covenant that only invades the games of someone that already has an invader in it, and said invader can also invite other invader-helpers into the hosts game via covenant soap stone.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That's the magical thing about invasions as a zero sum game (as opposed to DS2's dueling covenants): if the invader is having fun, the host is frustrated about twinked out jerks. If the host is having fun, the invader comes around and bitches how he can't be a dick.
it's actually usually fun for both people when it's not a total gankfest

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
smdh if you don't have fun getting invaded and fighting the invader 1v1 while "just trying to complete the game"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

there is a pair of shorts in this game

there are also a lot of goofy magical swords to transpose

time to get my pointy metal hat and leap attack at everyone as STEINER

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I also like how Ancient Wyvern is the tutorial level from DS1 as a capstone of the last game in the trilogy.

IronicDongz posted:

What game are you playing where invaders don't run away to estus behind 5 mobs.

hampig fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 30, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks all for the dual wield tip. Guess I'll have to bang a whole bunch of points into VIT to offset the extra weight.

Does anyone know what the Equipment Load % thresholds are for "super duper roll" and stuff like that? I can find the stuff for Dark Souls 2 but I assume it's been changed.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Saw this on the subreddit. Invader fails to catch the host.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz560HGRAeU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

IronicDongz posted:

smdh if you don't have fun getting invaded and fighting the invader 1v1 while "just trying to complete the game"
i do, but don't loving cry me a river if others just slam your invading rear end off a cliff with four of their buddies cause they didn't want to "have fun" with you in the way you imagined

bet it was still fun for them tho!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

bet it was still fun for them tho!

That sounds like a pretty miserable way to play the game.

Also found another broke rear end texture like in Wolnir's room.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Lovely Senorita posted:

there is a pair of shorts in this game

there are also a lot of goofy magical swords to transpose

time to get my pointy metal hat and leap attack at everyone as STEINER

I don't remember any shorts, which armor set?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

What game are you playing where invaders don't run away to estus behind 5 mobs.
that's what makes it fun, friend. the tension between two people trying to bullshit each other. trying to pull the host into mobs, trying to stomp the invader with a tree of giants when he's surrounded by mobs, whatever. it's all fun and good.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Anyone got sliders to make a lady that doesn't look like she mashed her face into the abyss before becoming the ashen one?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

that's what makes it fun, friend. the tension between two people trying to bullshit each other. trying to pull the host into mobs, trying to stomp the invader with a tree of giants when he's surrounded by mobs, whatever. it's all fun and good.

Yeah it's fun, and it works, but pretending that the invaders are somehow on even footing with hosts when every mob is on their side is some grade A self delusion. The reason no one feels sorry for invaders who run into phantoms is because reds are so hilariously advantaged against random dudes playing PvE.

hampig fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 30, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I rarely worked in my favor, but one thing I liked to do while invading in the undead settlement was hide behind those exploding barrels if I got low on health and needed to estus. A couple of times, the host and his phantoms would be wise to it and throw grenades at me, but more often than not I'd get people chasing after me to close in on their kill, only for me to set off the barrels myself. It's usually not enough to kill the host, but it would frequently one-shot a nearby phantom. Then I'd just take another sip of estus and get it refunded because of the phantom's death.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks all for the dual wield tip. Guess I'll have to bang a whole bunch of points into VIT to offset the extra weight.

Does anyone know what the Equipment Load % thresholds are for "super duper roll" and stuff like that? I can find the stuff for Dark Souls 2 but I assume it's been changed.

Honestly, just staying below 70.0% is really all you need for that. The other breakpoint is 30.0%

Anyone got sliders to make a lady that doesn't look like she mashed her face into the abyss before becoming the ashen one?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulsSliders/

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

IronicDongz posted:

The times I've been invaded by single invaders while alone, te times I've invaded just a single host and the host put up a fight rather than running and rolling to bonfire, all been the best PvP I have had in this game.

Except for the ones who know about R1spam2win.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd like to know which slider makes everyone stop looking like they have a double chin and an underbite.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hampig posted:

Yeah it's fun, and it works, but pretending that the invaders are somehow on even footing with hosts when every mob is on their side is some grade A bullshit. Or maybe self delusion. Take your pick.

you get twice as much estus and the ability to summon backup ya big ol' baby lmao

no mob in the entire game is a match to two semi-competant actual players, the only thing an invader is going to do by hiding behind mobs is slow down a patient player or cause an idiot player to run to his death

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

you get twice as much estus and the ability to summon backup ya big ol' baby lmao

We're specifically talking about 1v1, so awww you keep telling yourself how you're fighting the hard fight as a poor red invader buddy :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

Decided to try out FTH to see if I was correct in assuming that it sucks. Mediocre news: it sucks. On the spear Hollows in Crucixifion Woods, a direct-to-the-face Lightning Spear with both rings at 50 FTH, with a +10 Saint's Talisman, does approximately 511 damage. Sunlight Blade on my Drakeblood Greatsword does something like 540 on every light swing. Seems okay to me!

Sunlight Spear does like 1500 damage at 60 Faith point-blank, but that's just one spell.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Yardbomb posted:

That sounds like a pretty miserable way to play the game.

IronicDongz posted:

that's what makes it fun,
Right, i forgot for a moment that Souls games have that trapping of people telling others how they should have fun while playing the videogame, and oh no! they're actually playing it wrong and actually not having fun at all unless they specifically do the thing

Guess what, if you invade the person who shares your idea of fun, consider yourself lucky and go nuts, but don't act like they owe you poo poo if they don't. Doesn't really get any simpler than that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hampig posted:

We're specifically talking about 1v1, so awww you keep telling yourself how you're fighting the hard fight as a poor red invader buddy :allears:

You still get twice as much estus, plus

hampig posted:

every mob is on their side

that sure sounds like 1 on 1, you can't even keep your complaining straight lmao

also I'm a purple invader thank you very much

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

host still has double the estus man. and also I wasn't really talking about it being balanced anyways when I said it was fun, I was saying that it's fun and it being kind of a chaotic mess is a big part of why it's fun

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Man the first Lothric bonfire is the best PVP

beats the poo poo out of Sulyvan bonfire

It even has bleachers!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

better equip my INVADED pants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I don't care if you have fun. I will have fun.