Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Is anyone else sensing a huge, sudden dropoff across the board in the quality of the drama strips? Not that most of them were great before, but even a year ago things actually happened. Now it's just endless off-topic conversations and perfect, problem-free existence. It's like all the writers have run out of ideas at the same time and are just trying to fill space.

Except for Prince Valiant. Prince Valiant just keeps getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

:stare: It's been so long since the last time Chester Gould-era Tracy was posted I'd nearly forgotten how brutal it was, Christ.

Chester Gould is loving metal. That reminds me, I think I got behind on my Dick Tracy collections. Unfortunately all of them are in storage now. Dammit, I step in this thread for the first time in eons and now I'm spending more money on quality comics.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Holy poo poo it's unsettling to read an "unwanted pregnancy" strip that was produced years before Roe v. Wade.

As I recall, last time we tried doing a run of L'il Abner, the general decision was that it's too mean-spirited... and also, Al Capp was a rapist.

Really? poo poo, I was going to say post it and let's go nuts, but if that's the case....

Hobnob posted:

I fondly remember how nasty the Locher-era strips posted in previous incarnations of this thread could be. Villains would meet their end under steamrollers or by being torn apart by vicious dogs, while the short-armed, clenched-fist Dick Tracy stands around and makes a quip about it.

And they were even brutal for their time. EC comics made fun of Dick Tracy in one of their issues of Panic (I think it's in the new hardcover that was just released a bit ago) and it's pretty nasty and surprisingly gory for a freaking newspaper strip.

SomeMathGuy posted:

This has been harped on, but I cannot get over the fact that a comic full of robots - or any comic in 2016, really - would have a "science project" involving the classical Greek elements. Like... what the actual gently caress is going through the author's head on this one?

It's like I never left at all. :)

Presto posted:

It turns out that Quill is in Hamilton, he wins awards and gets rich and famous and during his interview on the Tonight show he remarks that it never would have happened if his dumb selfish girlfriend hadn't dumped him. "Thanks, sweety!" *blows kiss*

Or rather, he forgets her name completely, and goes on to live a Guntherless life of joy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're all too scared to talk about anything that could be seen as politically inflammatory.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

This whole storyline makes even less sense than usual. Am I right in thinking that this is what's happening?

- First, the old lady wants to donate a bunch of books to the library to get them out of her house
- (insert stupid side plot about her thinking some of the books are overdue)
- the library doesn't want the books
- therefore, she spends a bunch of her own money setting up a used bookstore in her house to sell those unwanted books, and presumably buy/sell other books, too

Because if that's the story so far, it is a new level of idiocy even for Batiuk.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think you've got most of it.

I was thinking it would just be a loving garage sale, but nope, they've gone straight down the "setting up a business is a painless experience that you can begin at the whim of two aspergic children" route.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Waitwaitwait...

Is this a thing where the writers are trying to shame/slam the people who say that Mary Worth isn't good? Is that's what's happening?

God I want that to be the case.

Myself want to know when they teleported to the Tate in London -- isn't that where The Kiss is?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Esplanade posted:

Is anyone else sensing a huge, sudden dropoff across the board in the quality of the drama strips? Not that most of them were great before, but even a year ago things actually happened. Now it's just endless off-topic conversations and perfect, problem-free existence. It's like all the writers have run out of ideas at the same time and are just trying to fill space.

Except for Prince Valiant. Prince Valiant just keeps getting better.
Yes, I have noticed that. Particularly with RMMD (as far as soaps I post). It seems like that one hasn't had anything happen in years. They keep hinting something will happen with some other characters, but they keep returning to this loving Sarah poo poo instead. MW has actually had a few storylines, just not particularly interesting or memorable ones, at least (to me) since they introduced Olive with her hallucinations and her brush with the evil junkie doctor Kapuht, which was about 2 years ago.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Or rather, he forgets her name completely, and goes on to live a Guntherless life of joy.

Really, anything that gets you out of the Luann cast is a win. Quill could die off camera and I'd still consider him one of the most well-off characters in the strip.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

Really, anything that gets you out of the Luann cast is a win. Quill could die off camera and I'd still consider him one of the most well-off characters in the strip.

Or they could simply bring you back ala that old boss lady that for some reason Luann's brother had to work under when the firefighting thing failed and GOD WHY DO I REMEMBER THAT??

Speaking of sadness, did Paul Ryan have a few Phantom strips left before he passed? I noticed the more recent ones are still done by him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set debates the second trilogy.

Working Daze is...uh, what?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has my support to be true to itself.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Speaking of sadness, did Paul Ryan have a few Phantom strips left before he passed? I noticed the more recent ones are still done by him.

According to Tony DePaul, they worked on the strips in batches based around story arcs, so at this point I assume we have Paul Ryan art for the duration of this plotline about Baronkhan.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

The darker side of Ham Shears

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh man, Ham Shears was so good. Well, it started out good, then sort of got bogged down.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is...uh, what?

Wow. It's like they are going for a world record of missing a joke here.

If you don't get the reference, then the Google reps are just robot things. This is not funny. If you do get the reference, then Google reps are being compared to space Nazis. Has Google done anything recently to deserve being compared to a space Nazi? No? Then there is no joke and this is not funny.

We are left with two options:

1. The entire "joke" is a reference to a nerd thing. But unlike even low-brow nerd reference humor like Big Bang Theory or even this very strip at times, there's no attempt to make it clever or relevant. Like if they were security or Comcast representatives or something where the common understanding was they are unhelpful or unfriendly, then at least you are making your reference relevant, even if it's not funny.

2. The idea of a Google rep being a space Nazi is based off a specific experience, either by that of the writer or from a story he heard. This lacks universality and makes the joke even more confusing, because it's a personal reference that can only be understood once it's explained, and explanation is typically a joke killer.

So congratulations Working Daze. You made yourself so unnecessarily esoteric that when asked to tell a joke you effectively shouted the name of a TV show and smiled expectantly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dirksteadfast posted:

So congratulations Working Daze. You made yourself so unnecessarily esoteric that when asked to tell a joke you effectively shouted the name of a TV show and smiled expectantly.
Just shouting a nerd thing and smiling expectantly was actually the entirety of yesterday's comic.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze finally stops trying and just starts shouting nerd things.

Seriously, Zakour cannot tell a loving joke to save his life. Half the time he just goes "HEY LOOK NERD THING! :haw:" and calls it a day, the other half it's just "<character> has <characteristic>".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dirksteadfast posted:

[......]

Is this the first WD strip you've read? I feel so sorry for you.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

dirksteadfast posted:

If you don't get the reference, then the Google reps are just robot things. This is not funny. If you do get the reference, then Google reps are being compared to space Nazis. Has Google done anything recently to deserve being compared to a space Nazi? No? Then there is no joke and this is not funny.

We are left with two options:

1. The entire "joke" is a reference to a nerd thing. But unlike even low-brow nerd reference humor like Big Bang Theory or even this very strip at times, there's no attempt to make it clever or relevant. Like if they were security or Comcast representatives or something where the common understanding was they are unhelpful or unfriendly, then at least you are making your reference relevant, even if it's not funny.

2. The idea of a Google rep being a space Nazi is based off a specific experience, either by that of the writer or from a story he heard. This lacks universality and makes the joke even more confusing, because it's a personal reference that can only be understood once it's explained, and explanation is typically a joke killer.

I thought it was a self-driving car reference gone horribly awry.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Is this the first WD strip you've read? I feel so sorry for you.

Oh I know that is entirely WD's "thing", it's like a train wreck I just can't help but see how horribly they mangle any humor each time. This example just somehow felt extra lazy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Do I need to make a Depends joke here?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dirksteadfast posted:

Oh I know that is entirely WD's "thing", it's like a train wreck I just can't help but see how horribly they mangle any humor each time. This example just somehow felt extra lazy.

But seriously you managed to describe all of their strips in one go. Well maybe not the weird insider joke ones - the witch/hypnotist/medusa strips in particular which are always the same and contain no actual jokes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

But seriously you managed to describe all of their strips in one go. Well maybe not the weird insider joke ones - the witch/hypnotist/medusa strips in particular which are always the same and contain no actual jokes.

it's not an insider joke

it's a fetish

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Well. Goddamn.

Jaf

Wee Pals

Andy Capp

wikipedia posted:

Andy Capp is a British comic strip created by cartoonist Reg Smythe (1917–1998), seen in The Daily Mirror and The Sunday Mirror newspapers since 5 August 1957. Originally a single-panel cartoon, it was later expanded to four panels.

In 1954 the Daily Mirror's art editor, Philip Zec, gave Smythe a regular daily cartoon, "Laughter at Work". Then, in 1957, he was asked by Mirror editor Hugh Cudlipp to create a cartoon character for the paper's Manchester edition. He thought up Andy Capp, a stereotypically lazy, selfish working-class northerner in a flat cap, and his long-suffering wife Flo, during the seven-hour drive from his mother's house in Hartlepool to London.

Capp is thought to have been based on Smythe's father, although Smythe never confirmed that, perhaps because in one early cartoon he depicted Andy as a wife-beater, something he later regretted. Smythe's mother recognised her late husband in Andy, although insisted Richard was not a violent man. Capp's headgear was inspired by a fellow spectator at a football match Smythe had attended when young, who took off his cap when it started to rain, because he didn't want to wear a wet cap at home that evening.

The strip became internationally popular, appearing in at least 700 newspapers in 34 countries] including the Chicago Sun-Times in the USA. The punning title resisted translation: in Sweden it was titled "Tuffa Viktor", in Germany "Willi Wacker", in Austria "Charlie Kappl", in Italy "Carlo e Alice", in France "André Chapeau", in Turkey "Güngörmez Dursun" and in Denmark "Kasket Karl".

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

Well. Goddamn.

Hey, are you keeping these in an album? I'd love to get a link to that.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Feiffer is some rough chuckles man

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

I refuse to believe that even the blandest, most complaint-letter-writing old lady reading this garbage is going to think that taking a cab alone or riding the subway is something so amazing you have to brag about it to your teenage friends.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

So was that the post-assassination comic? I knew it was coming soon. It looks like the date is in January? That's way after. How often did he do these?

Checked my Feiffer books and the Kennedy assassination strip ran on January 2, 1964, which would have been a bit over a month after the assassination. Feiffer's strip ran in the Village Voice, which was a weekly paper.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Classic Phantom had never seen evidence of his own father before today. :smith:

Radio Patrol

Hospital nurses then, as now, had important poo poo to be getting on with and don't have time to coddle patients' poor little baby feelings.

Rip Kirby

If you shoot that bullet out of another gun that will change the marks, so how do you propose to kill somebody with it? Feed it to him and hope he chokes?

Big Ben Bolt

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

Hospital nurses then, as now, had important poo poo to be getting on with and don't have time to coddle patients' poor little baby feelings.

Again, this dude should be grateful his horrible chemically burned face that required full-head bandages for treatment looks this good. :argh:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Green Intern posted:

Hey, are you keeping these in an album? I'd love to get a link to that.

Same. These are gold.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Darkest Auer posted:

I refuse to believe that even the blandest, most complaint-letter-writing old lady reading this garbage is going to think that taking a cab alone or riding the subway is something so amazing you have to brag about it to your teenage friends.

You've never lived in a small, rural town, have you? Cabs and subway systems are things of myth to people who live in 15,000 or less pop. rural towns. I'd probably be telling my friends if I rode a subway or hired a cab for the first time :v:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Gloomy Rube posted:

You've never lived in a small, rural town, have you? Cabs and subway systems are things of myth to people who live in 15,000 or less pop. rural towns. I'd probably be telling my friends if I rode a subway or hired a cab for the first time :v:

Counterpoint: Luann is supposed to be, what, 19 or 20 years old.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wealthy alumni buying stuff for star college athletes? Does the NCAA know about this?!

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gloomy Rube posted:

I don't even live in a small or rural town but when I got back from a few days in New York people acted like I'd missed out on a quintessential tourist destination by choosing to walk around the city rather than take the subway.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 30, 2016

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Fort Knox

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 2, 1929)

Peanuts (May 1, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 11-12, 1929)

Thimble Theater (November 18, 1929)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Nenonen posted:

Is this the first Working Daze strip you've read? I feel so sorry for you.

I envy him.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Is there a reason Mike doesn't just straight up identify as a furry who has a connection to his cat fursona or some poo poo? Are furries that far down the nerd totem pole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Laputanmachine posted:

Is there a reason Mike doesn't just straight up identify as a furry who has a connection to his cat fursona or some poo poo? Are furries that far down the nerd totem pole?

This is fourteen years out of date, but most of the joke-like references in Intelligent LIfe are pretty dated too, so...

• Locked thread