Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Well, if they were, they're not using a strawman, since Putin, Russia, and propaganda all exist.

One thing feels at least one level of magnitude worse and hyperbolic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

BvS made a lot of money for the critical reception it got. I'm surprised it made as much as it did.

If BvS was a better movie, it would've crushed the Nolan films. This is what everyone was expecting.

Yes, BvS made a lot of money, but not a shitload. Yes, it's a mediocre movie, but it's not horrible.

To sum it up, it's not a train wreck, but at the same time movies are not going to be emulating it anytime soon, unlike Deadpool which is setting up a wave of R rated comic movies. Are we good?

Edit: vvv This person gets it. vvv

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 30, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you want to make your posts sound less like propaganda, try using good analysis instead of hyperbole, and write as though you aren't constantly shocked and exasperated by the things other posters are saying.

To contribute, Beavis did remarkably well for a movie that was

1. a DC comics movie in the age of Marvel
2. a Zack Snyder film
3. a sequel to a movie that critically and financially underperformed compared to the competition
4. marketed as having a grittier, darker, weightier, more masculine tone than the competition
5. critically-ravaged before opening day and subsequently murdered by word of mouth

It didn't hit a billion, but who could really expect it to do that well with the deck so stacked?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

If you want to make your posts sound less like propaganda, try using good analysis instead of hyperbole, and write as though you aren't constantly shocked and exasperated by the things other posters are saying.

To contribute, Beavis did remarkably well for a movie that was

1. a DC comics movie in the age of Marvel
2. a Zack Snyder film
3. a sequel to a movie that critically and financially underperformed compared to the competition
4. marketed as having a grittier, darker, weightier, more masculine tone than the competition
5. critically-ravaged before opening day and subsequently murdered by word of mouth

It didn't hit a billion, but who could really expect it to do that well with the deck so stacked?

You are aware that 5 is, and 4 could potentially be seen as, a flaw (whether or not you liked the movie, it's definitely not a good thing that it got the reception it did).

BvS made a poo poo load of money, but in the age of Avengers and The Force Awakens they were expecting a poo poo load and a half. That, combined with the reception it got and the way it dropped like a rock week after week, definitely have WB on edge. I could totally imagine WB getting cold feet and trying to change poo poo, and the directors wanting out if it went in a way they didn't expect.

That said, that's not a surefire sign that the movies are gonna suck/fail. After all, Thor 2 and Ant-Man had directors changed during production, and Favreau and Whedon got burnt out and wanted out after a couple of movies as well.

Also, I'm not opposed to listening to rumors, because oftentimes there's a grain of truth to them, but you should also definitely look at the source. For example, I'm not gonna trust BMD about DC movies any more than I'd trust Breitbart about Hillary Clinton. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a buttload of pressure on Wan right now, considering his movie is probably the most likely and able to absorb any changes DC might want to make in the tone of their movies, considering JL is filming and WW is in post.

edit: Also, generally word of mouth and critical response affect the draw of sequels a lot more than of the movie that actually got the reception. If Amazing Spider-Man hadn't been so coolly received, I bet ASM2 would have done better, even if it was the same generally disappointing movie that it is. Likewise, X-Men: The Last Stand was a garbage movie from a butt, but X2 was really good, and a lot of people had goodwill based on that, which is why it grossed more than X2. Same with Spider-Man 3.

edit2: In differently pessimistic news: Ryan Reynolds is a pretty cool dude. He gave a preview showing of Deadpool to a teenager with cancer a few months before release, and he wrote a very nice tribute to the kid after he passed this week. Reynolds is clearly having a blast being Deadpool, and will probably do it for as long as Jackman has been Wolverine. (It will be a hell of a shame if they don't share the screen again before Jackman hangs up the claws)

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 30, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yoshifan823 posted:

You are aware that 5 is, and 4 could potentially be seen as, a flaw (whether or not you liked the movie, it's definitely not a good thing that it got the reception it did).
Absolutely, and I can see WB doing something about that going forward. But the point I was trying to make was that for a movie with that many things against it, including poor reception, 325+ million domestically and 850 worldwide is still a dang good haul and not utter disaster. And furthermore, with the exception of item 5, the major factors that negatively affected its performance relative to the competition were either unavoidable or conscious decisions by the studio. That last part is something that somehow gets missed a lot of the time: given the hand they were dealt, WB didn't try to make a movie like Age of Ultron or The Force Awakens. They consciously made a Zack Snyder film and marketed it like one.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's funny when people point to how much money a film made to determine how good or bad it is. Dredd is loving fantastic and it made poo poo. I didn't even know it had come out until about a year later and it may be my favorite action movie of the 2010s.

A little more on topic: I vastly prefer Snyder's style of filmmaking to everything Marvel Studios has put out. He makes pretty movies with great compositions and I'd rather watch that and films like Godzilla '14 than Winter Soldier or the Avengers.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 30, 2016

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The idea that the superhero boom didn't start until 2012 is hilariously myopic. The boom started in earnest with Spider-Man, but movies can take a long goddamn time to develop (Edgar Wright and Jon Favreau were developing their projects in 2003 when Marvel was going to just have a film deal with Artisan Entertainment), but even then they were opening huge and being some of the top grossers of the year (Spider-Man, in 2002, was bigger than Star Wars, let's think about that for a sec).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

A little more on topic: I vastly prefer Snyder's style of filmmaking to everything Marvel Studios has put out. He makes pretty movies with great compositions and I'd rather watch that and films like Godzilla '14 than Winter Soldier or the Avengers.

Snyder is a legit good director, all of his movies that I've seen have been very good or great.

On that note, how's Sucker Punch? It's controversial, which sort of bodes well given that Watchmen and Man of Steel, both great movies, also received strongly mixed responses.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

BvS made a poo poo load of money, but in the age of Avengers and The Force Awakens they were expecting a poo poo load and a half.

We have no idea what they were expecting.

Wheeee posted:

Snyder is a legit good director, all of his movies that I've seen have been very good or great.

On that note, how's Sucker Punch? It's controversial, which sort of bodes well given that Watchmen and Man of Steel, both great movies, also received strongly mixed responses.

Sucker Punch was two hours of telling the people the trailer appealed to that they're kind of terrible. It's awesome.

It's also why I think "WB was expecting Avengers money" is actually kind of a big assumption. Avengers 1 and 2, along with all the Marvel movies, have been very top down. Directors have left over being micro-managed. WB gave Snyder, a divisive director, a huge amount of money and told him to do his worst. If they wanted Avengers money, that would be a weird thing to do. At this point, studios know exactly what makes a hit.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Sucker Punch was two hours of telling the people the trailer appealed to that they're kind of terrible. It's awesome.

I feel like 300 was doing the same thing but was more subtle and it clicked with me a lot more.

Dredd did the same thing. I will not stop talking about how much Dredd owns, you can't make me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I feel like 300 was doing the same thing but was more subtle and it clicked with me a lot more.

Dredd did the same thing. I will not stop talking about how much Dredd owns, you can't make me.

I wouldn't. Never stop.

Dredd and 300 are fantastic litmus tests for whether people engage with a film. So is Sucker Punch, for that matter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

Look at that underperforming piece of poo poo only coming in at number three and having the highest opening weekend of all of them, what a loving failure.

C'mon now.

It's actually the third worst live action Batman film (not counting the '66 film which wasn't included in the data) and fell way below the average of $395m. If you adjust the opening weekend for inflation that also drops down to third place.

BvS did have an above average performance for a Superman film but they usually don't do too well anyway:

So I guess it at least did better than Batman & Robin and Man of Steel?? :shrug:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

C'mon now.

It's actually the third worst live action Batman film (not counting the '66 film which wasn't included in the data) and fell way below the average of $395m. If you adjust the opening weekend for inflation that also drops down to third place.

BvS did have an above average performance for a Superman film but they usually don't do too well anyway:

So I guess it at least did better than Batman & Robin and Man of Steel?? :shrug:

And Batman Begins, which in no way lead to a successful bunch of films.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TFRazorsaw posted:

This was a movie starring the two most popular superheroes of all time, coming after the big superhero movie boom that was already created for it, and not during the LEAD UP to said boom like the Phase 1 movies. It should have done better than it did. Far better. I don't know how this is even up for argument.

What this reveals is that the actual profitability is irrelevant, as you are concerned that Superman is not being presented with enough offerings and sacrifices.

Literal worship of the Superman character.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What this reveals is that the actual profitability is irrelevant, as you are concerned that Superman is not being presented with enough offerings and sacrifices.

Literal worship of the Superman character.

You are appealing to my Mexica heart, I hope you know this. Are there any more references/allusions to Superman being aligned and/or related to the sun in BvS like in MoS? I really liked those parts.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Just to make sure I got this correctly: If your movie has one super-iconic character, it's a disgusting embarrassment if the movie doesn't make one billion dollars. And if it has two super-iconic characters, it's a disgusting embarrassment if it doesn't make two billion dollars. I hope nobody ever makes a movie with three super-iconic characters, the stocks would crash because that movie should make all the money in the universe.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Just to make sure I got this correctly: If your movie has one super-iconic character, it's a disgusting embarrassment if the movie doesn't make one billion dollars. And if it has two super-iconic characters, it's a disgusting embarrassment if it doesn't make two billion dollars.

Before the movie came out there was a rumour going around that it would have to make $800 million to break even and it passed that so it's definitely not a financial failure by any standard. But it's only made roughly half what The Avengers made (even without adjusting for inflation) and it's currently the 18th highest domestic grossing superhero film (after adjusting for inflation) which sure isn't anything to brag about.

So it made a ton of money but compared to a bunch of other superhero films it didn't really do all that well. You'd expect the first ever live action showdown between Batman and Superman to be in the top 5 superhero films but it's not even in the top 5 Batman films.

Tl;dr: on it's own it's doing great but in the context of the superhero dickwaving contest it didn't impress

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope nobody ever makes a movie with three super-iconic characters, the stocks would crash because that movie should make all the money in the universe.

BvS has three super-iconic characters. :ssh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 30, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I was poking fun at this purely mechanical understanding of box office. 1 character with popularity level (pl) 90 or higher = one billion $ BO. 2 characters with pl 90 or higher = two billion $ BO.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BvS has three super-iconic characters. :ssh:

I think I need a chart to assess Wonder Woman's iconicity in relation to Batman's and Superman's iconicity. It might be that she is merely kinda iconic.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Interesting to see that the director of THE FLASH has walked over 'creative differences' and supposedly James Wan might do the same with AQUAMAN. He had a bad experience with FAST 7, even before Walker died he didn't like working for a studio, and now WB are coming down hard after being surprised by the reception to BvS (That they were surprised that people might really dislike it says a lot).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I was poking fun at this purely mechanical understanding of box office.

I thought everyone was already in agreement that arguing over box office numbers was spergtastic? :v:

(And I'm saying that as the #1 guy to post charts and graphs of box office numbers itt)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty easy for fans to internalize. Everyone enjoys watching numbers go up.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
When the box office numbers start trickling in people get like...

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

We have no idea what they were expecting.

It's also why I think "WB was expecting Avengers money" is actually kind of a big assumption. Avengers 1 and 2, along with all the Marvel movies, have been very top down. Directors have left over being micro-managed. WB gave Snyder, a divisive director, a huge amount of money and told him to do his worst. If they wanted Avengers money, that would be a weird thing to do. At this point, studios know exactly what makes a hit.

Actually it was pretty obvious that WB/DC were expecting Avengers/GOTG levels of cash with BvS, and anyone who thought otherwise is delusional.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Scyantific posted:

Actually it was pretty obvious that WB/DC were expecting Avengers/GOTG levels of cash with BvS, and anyone who thought otherwise is delusional.

It's already done better than GOTG.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LesterGroans posted:

It's already done better than GOTG.

Better overseas but GOTG beat it domestically.

quote:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Domestic: $333,176,600
Foreign: $440,135,799

Batman v Superman:Dawn of Justice
Domestic: $321,322,593
Foreign: $534,000,000

They both did about the same business in China, France, UK, Germany and Australia but most of South America showed a preference for BvS

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrVenkman posted:

supposedly James Wan might do the same with AQUAMAN.

The biggest point of evidence why this rumor is bullshit is that no one talked about it until after the Flash's director left.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
If you think WB didn't expect BvS to easily clear a billion worldwide, I'd love some of what you're smoking.

That is all.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

If you think WB didn't expect BvS to easily clear a billion worldwide, I'd love some of what you're smoking.

That is all.

What if I think we'll never know and it doesn't matter?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

Look at that underperforming piece of poo poo only coming in at number three and having the highest opening weekend of all of them, what a loving failure.

Coming back to this, the fact that BvS had the 4th biggest opening of any superhero film (unadjusted) but fell to 11th spot on the box office list after a month shows that it was massively front loaded and has terrible legs compared to the other big moneymakers within the genre. To put it into perspective, if we remove the box office numbers for the first three days of all superhero movies and look at how much they made from day 4 to day 30 (ie: their performance for the rest of the first month after their opening weekend) then BvS drops from 11th spot to 15th:

quote:

1. The Avengers $339.68m
2. The Dark Knight $307.94m
3. The Dark Knight Rises $245.58m
4. Spider-Man 2 $239.12m
5. Spider-Man $234.80m
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron $232.68m
7. Iron Man 3 $208.49m
8. Deadpool $192.67m
9. Guardians of the Galaxy $174.04m
10. Iron Man $170.36m
11. The Amazing Spider-Man $170.31m
12. Spider-Man 3 $164.89m
13. Iron Man 2 $161.06m
14. The Incredibles $152.89m
15. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice $151.94m
16. Hancock $150.99m
17. Man of Steel $150.80m
18. Batman $141.59m
19. Captain America: The Winter Soldier $139.98m
20. Batman Begins $137.88m

.... and if we adjust those results for inflation it drops down to 25th place:

quote:

1. The Dark Knight $367.80m
2. The Avengers $359.45m
3. Spider-Man $346.74m
4. Spider-Man 2 $330.38m
5. Batman $304.47m
6. The Dark Knight Rises $270.74m
7. Avengers: Age of Ultron $232.81m
8. Batman Forever $217.60m
9. The Incredibles $210.89m
10. Iron Man 3 $209.37m
11. Spider-Man 3 $205.63m
12. Iron Man $203.57m
13. Batman Returns $199.70m
14. Deadpool $192.67m
15. Batman Begins $184.56m
16. Guardians of the Galaxy $184.55m
17. The Amazing Spider-Man $181.68m
18. Hancock $180.34m
19. Superman 2 $180.00m (approx)
20. Superman Returns $175.04m
21. Iron Man 2 $173.82m
22. Superman $173.65m (days 4 - 24 *)
23. X2: X-Men United $159.80m
24. Man of Steel $155.73m
25. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice $151.94m
26. Captain America: The Winter Soldier $147.57m
(* I only had data for the first 4 weekends for Superman so it should be at least a few places higher on the chart. )

BvS doesn't have the audience retention power of Man of Steel or even Superman Returns. In terms of sales after the first weekend it's been the second least popular live action Batman film (only beating Batman & Robin) and the third least popular Superman film (beating Superman III and IV). It just couldn't put asses in seats after that massive first weekend (which would have been largely due to the record number of pre-sale tickets) and it had a severe audience drop off which suggests that the enormously successful advertising campaign was writing cheques that the movie couldn't cash. It has terrible, terrible legs.

Tl;dr: If we put aside the massive number of pre-sale tickets sold before word of mouth/bad reviews kicked in then BvS has had really mediocre sales.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
None of that takes into account the budget, wich Nolan's Batman flicks were a whole lot smaller.

Theres no way of looking at BvS and saying it performed well except for that first week-end when no one knew what the gently caress.

edit: Rises is at 250? Thought it was smaller. Still significantly smaller than BvS

Viller fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 30, 2016

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"i can't be hosed to actually criticize this film so i'm just going to post about how it didn't make much money if you don't include the opening weekend, the most profitable period of every movie not called frozen or titanic"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

How about we wait and see if it actually happens, instead of being a rumor that seems to come the gently caress out of nowhere.

Remember that rumor/lie that Suicide Squad was doing massive reshoots to 'add jokes'?

Ok, but the last trailer was full of jokes. Surely you're not so naive as to think that is a coincidence are you??

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ungulateman posted:

"i can't be hosed to actually criticize this film so i'm just going to post about how it didn't make much money if you don't include the opening weekend, the most profitable period of every movie not called frozen or titanic"

You do realize that part of a movie's success also involves in how long it can continue to put people in seats after opening weekend, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ungulateman posted:

"i can't be hosed to actually criticize this film

I've made plenty of posts critiquing the film itself, maybe check my posting history before jumping to dumb conclusions?

ungulateman posted:

so i'm just going to post about how it didn't make much money if you don't include the opening weekend,

... compared to the other superhero films over the same period.

Scyantific posted:

You do realize that part of a movie's success also involves in how long it can continue to put people in seats after opening weekend, right?

Titanic's opening weekend was almost 1/6 of BvS's :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 30, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ungulateman posted:

Beavis's wonky performance at the box office is fun and interesting to discuss. It's rare that word of mouth so completely undermines a box office run. It's like a mirror image of what happened to Deadpool.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
All of the equivocation about how the box office performance is actually really good is kind of missing the forest for the trees.

BvS underperformed expectations in nearly every metric. It's one of the most critically panned superhero films since Affleck's Daredevil. It didn't connect well with audiences. And yes, it didn't meet expectations in the box office. (I remember a billion dollars being predicted as the worst case scenario even after the reviews started rolling in.)

It wasn't a terrible film, it just wasn't great. A lot of people (including myself) expected this film to be an absolute homerun, and to think the studio isn't disappointed that it wasn't is indeed delusional.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Scyantific posted:

Oh, you're on the board? What else do you know?

Explain your "pretty obvious"

E: Expecting things to be home runs is your own fault.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

It didn't connect well with audiences.

Except for the parts involving Batman and Wonder Woman, who coincidentally are the stars of the upcoming films.

I would not be surprised if the Battfleck solo movie easily makes $1 billion.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
This movie that made $850 million and probably made back most of its production cost in advertising is a failure because people on the internet desperately want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Trying to explain to the DC fanboys that BvS is underperforming even though it's made over $850m worldwide reminds me of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypaXNVPkSg

• Locked thread