Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It would be pretty... pretty good, if you could get a Silver Knight Sword with that lightning buff they have going on

hello.

That's new, right? I don't remember them doing that in DS1, but maybe I'm just dumb?

Also can you parry the overhead lightning smash? I can't seem to get the timing down, and it fucks me up because I'll parry expecting the normal attack but it's slower and then I get hit. I mean I can dodge it easy but that's not as stylish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
If I'm in Boreal Valley, what percentage of the way in the game am I to getting the firelink armor?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You get it by buying it from the shrine maiden after killing the final boss so maybe half way?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Is there a way to use a Hunters Charm to farm for the Symbol of Avarice? I feel like I read about it somewhere but haven't been able to find it since.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Been helping people kill dragonslayer armor for about an hour now. Some observations:

1) it seems that very few people know (or bother to) to kill that second dragon.

1b) moreover all the people that don't bother with even the first? Da fuq?

2) also lol at the guys summoning sunbros and then hanging back not even engaging the boss fight

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
gently caress this game is hard as a Cleric.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeesh, it's like somebody flipped a switch as soon as you enter the valley.

"Well I've got 1k HP finally, so I should be able to take a good amount of hits. I took out that monster on the bridge okay, too, so-HOLY loving poo poo"

Finally wishing poise worked, otherwise this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue with my normal greatswords. Since when I'm actually landing hits they die fairly fast.

The old fallback of "shoot em with a bow to get their attention" Doesn't really help when the pontifs just hang back to spam spells waiting for you to aggro them all, and the fire priests can shoot through scenery and their naked hollow hitstun bodyguards :v: Because individually they all die fast.

Git Good etc, but yeah. Was wondering when the game would finally kick my legs out from under me. It's their tendency to just hang back forever happy to spam spells rather than engage without a crowd advantage thats busting my balls most so far, not their damage or habit of causing my backstabts to be harmless stabbings of the air with the canned animation.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I found the easiest way of killing the fire witches was to get the attention of the lovely claymore hollows and drag them away while dodging that awful fire pillar attack, then just run past them and stab it to death because the hollows helpers are super slow. Also it's generally just the shield pontiffs that'll stay back and throw wimpy dark magic at you, the shieldless ones would always chase me to the ends of the earth as soon as it saw me, making it super easy to get 1 on 1 fights the whole time.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

JetsGuy posted:

Been helping people kill dragonslayer armor for about an hour now. Some observations:

1) it seems that very few people know (or bother to) to kill that second dragon.

1b) moreover all the people that don't bother with even the first? Da fuq?

2) also lol at the guys summoning sunbros and then hanging back not even engaging the boss fight

No one kills the butterflies because it's faster and easier to ignore them.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Contra Duck posted:

It takes like a minute of hurling a few bombs or fire at their abyss part though? It isn't like its hard and hey free souls and one is blocking a mimic with a good drop IIRC.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Lovely Senorita posted:

yeah, I have them blood-infused and up to +8

they're extremely hard to use, though, but they do as advertised if and when you're able to hit the other person(s)

I tried the daggs too but hollow warden's are too good. They bleed real regularly and also have a nice tempo to their swinging, though I kinda want to try the carvian scythe that I preemptively made hollow :haw:

Side note, the corvians are real fuckin sad as a group. They wanna go to the painted world where they'll belong :smith:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For the rings/sorceries/etc trophies, does anyone happen to know if they have to be collected on the same character? I'm like SL135 in NG++ getting ready to get all the NG++ rings, and just realized there's a small handful of rings/spells from covenants that I have no chance in hell getting at this level.

Or could I just farm specific enemies for covenant rep items? I think I remember someone posting about that. I flat out don't like PvP so if I can do that for all PvP-centric covenants, that'd be great.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 30, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Grondoth posted:

Good day! You look reasonably sane!

What are you doing in the Catacombs?

Are you a Cleric or something?

Yes, I imagined as much.

Best of luck with your pilgrimages or missions or whatever you do.

This place is treacherous. Do watch your step, eh?

Heh heh heh…

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Contra Duck posted:

He meant the actual dragons, not the weird butterfly things that shoot poo poo at you during the Dragonslayer Armour boss fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I farmed for ages on my first character for a black knight greataxe, and now on my second the very first one drops it right away. it's actually perfect because that first character was a luck build and this one is strength. I also got a symbol of avarice tonight

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Flubby posted:

So about the lore and Aldrich, heavy spoilers obviously: So Aldrich and Smough are one in the same, is that right? It cant all be coincidence can it? What I remember about Smough is that he was rejected from becoming a knight because he ate people. Aldrich also eats people. When you go looking for Aldrich you learn he went back to his true home, and that ends up being Anor Londo. Not just Anor Londo, the same room as the Ornstein and Smough fight. Also you meet Ornstein again in Dark Souls 2, suggesting he and Smough, much like the sun and Gwynevere, were just illusions of a past greatness kept up by Gwyndolin. Also, when you beat Aldrich, like most the bosses, his armor shows up at the merchant, and it's Smough's armor. OK, so let me see if I got it all straight. Smough and Ornstein leave Anor Londo and go their separate ways. Ornstein heads to his home country, and Smough moves on down to Illythil and became a saint. Also he kept eating people and gods until he became a blob? And that includes Gwyndolin? Does that sound right or is Aldrich someone completely different?

The one thing I would add is that there is implication that in DS1 Ornstein was an illusion but not Smough. Which I guess if anything just gives him motivation to eat Gwyndolin

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Einwand posted:

I found the easiest way of killing the fire witches was to get the attention of the lovely claymore hollows and drag them away while dodging that awful fire pillar attack, then just run past them and stab it to death because the hollows helpers are super slow. Also it's generally just the shield pontiffs that'll stay back and throw wimpy dark magic at you, the shieldless ones would always chase me to the ends of the earth as soon as it saw me, making it super easy to get 1 on 1 fights the whole time.

I appreciate the advice. The act of venting in itself seems to at least given me enough Gamer Zen to reach the next bonfire while killing loving everything. Though I've still had the shieldless ones decide to play keepaway even after I throw an arrow into their eye socket. You want to run, they chase you. I want them to chase me, they play keep away. Such is the way of video games :v:

Reminding myself about the R2 Stance Art has also helped. "Oh you wanna leap away from my finishing blows or attempts to guard break you close enough to have time to riposte huh? Get hosed."

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Grondoth posted:

Yeah it was definitely NOT the class to try my first time playing a dark souls game lol. I've loved it playing as a knight. May go back and just over level for cleric.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Today I learned that Hidetaka Miyazaki, one of the lead designers and creators of the Souls series, is an admitted masochist and has stated in an interview that "the ways in the game that you can be killed are things I've fantasized about happening to myself".

Puts things in to perspective. :stare:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Patches should've been a summon for the Deacons

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

HnK416 posted:

Today I learned that Hidetaka Miyazaki, one of the lead designers and creators of the Souls series, is an admitted masochist and has stated in an interview that "the ways in the game that you can be killed are things I've fantasized about happening to myself".

Are you trying to say that you don't have the "being eaten by a giant mutant wolf" dream???

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RabidWeasel posted:

Are you trying to say that you don't have the "being eaten by a giant mutant wolf" dream???

"picked up by giant masked gimp woman with great rear end, impaled on her flaming blade"?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Nameless King isnt hard, its just the epitome of tedious.
Having to spend 5 minutes to kill the dragon each time you are going to learn how to dodge through a combo sucks rear end, major rear end.
Ornstein and Smough were hard, this is just lame.

In other news, his weapon... sucks even more rear end.
Its biggest flaw of not being a straight sword is seriously strenghtened by low damage and a 2 second windup on a weaponart that is easily dodgeable, does poo poo damage if it hits and has a serious problem if the target isnt exactly the same z-level as you.
Best +5 weapon i ever wished i didnt +5.

Also i believe Aldrich ate smough. Smough is said to have been "the last knight to make a stand" in Anor Londo or something like that, and Aldrich most likely ate him on his way to Gwynboy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how many more iframes does the carthus bloodring give? That and the prisoner chain seem a pretty bad combo as far as taking damage goes

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Xenolalia posted:

The one thing I would add is that there is implication that in DS1 Ornstein was an illusion but not Smough. Which I guess if anything just gives him motivation to eat Gwyndolin

What is the implication out of curiosity?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Flubby posted:

So about the lore and Aldrich, heavy spoilers obviously: So Aldrich and Smough are one in the same, is that right? It cant all be coincidence can it? What I remember about Smough is that he was rejected from becoming a knight because he ate people. Aldrich also eats people. When you go looking for Aldrich you learn he went back to his true home, and that ends up being Anor Londo. Not just Anor Londo, the same room as the Ornstein and Smough fight. Also you meet Ornstein again in Dark Souls 2, suggesting he and Smough, much like the sun and Gwynevere, were just illusions of a past greatness kept up by Gwyndolin. Also, when you beat Aldrich, like most the bosses, his armor shows up at the merchant, and it's Smough's armor. OK, so let me see if I got it all straight. Smough and Ornstein leave Anor Londo and go their separate ways. Ornstein heads to his home country, and Smough moves on down to Illythil and became a saint. Also he kept eating people and gods until he became a blob? And that includes Gwyndolin? Does that sound right or is Aldrich someone completely different?

This is super late but I always thought it was just supposed to be ironic: Gwyndolin can't even stand humans to look at him, his only remaining guardian ends up being one of the most disgusting men alive and a cannibal, but as "mortals" do eventually dies. Then Gwyndolin gets eaten by an even MORE disgusting cannibal.

Unrelated:

https://fat.gfycat.com/GiddyFancyAmoeba.webm
https://fat.gfycat.com/DistinctBoringCuckoo.webm

(FINAL BOSS SPOILER) why are you so perfect :allears:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jose posted:

how many more iframes does the carthus bloodring give? That and the prisoner chain seem a pretty bad combo as far as taking damage goes

14/9 -> 19/4

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Apparition posted:

Is there a way to use a Hunters Charm to farm for the Symbol of Avarice? I feel like I read about it somewhere but haven't been able to find it since.

Throw a charm at the mimic so it opens. If there's no Symbol in it, punch it with your bare fist once and it will close again. Repeat until you get one.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
another 15 hidden mechanics video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzatGZFlI-s

Contains spoilers of course.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Ugh, I got so fed up with NK that I said gently caress it and summoned help. Had it have dumped me right to the second phase after beating the first phase once, I would have stuck it out and learned the timing on his patterns. But going through that first phase, with it's lovely camera and awful fire AOE attack, I just couldn't do it anymore.

Maybe next play through. It felt a little lovely, since I've soloed everything else up to this point. Oh well!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The camera didn't seem bad to me at all? I mean it probably is poo poo if you lock on, but there's an easy solution for that...

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

TaurusOxford posted:

He meant the actual dragons, not the weird butterfly things that shoot poo poo at you during the Dragonslayer Armour boss fight.

Oooooh haha it didn't even occur to me that someone would need a summon just to get through a level.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Bugblatter posted:

The camera didn't seem bad to me at all? I mean it probably is poo poo if you lock on, but there's an easy solution for that...

I'm glad you had a better time than I did, because that's the only encounter in this game that I've outright hated.

I probably should have just come back to it tomorrow, but there's always next play-through.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Running through the upper part of Smouldering Lake to the ballista, I noticed there's an opening up one of the walls through which you can see a different area with bluish lighting and a couple of buildings. I'm drawing a blank for what it could be. The only other thing that's underground in the vicinity is the irithyll dungeon and the profaned capitol, but it doesn't seem like that would be right next to the lake area. Although I guess it's possible, since it's hard to tell which direction you're moving towards in underground areas with no point of reference. Anyone know for sure what that might be?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

The gaping croco-dogs are almost pitiable when you bonk em on the snoz and riposte them. They just flail around and take forever to get up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only bluish area I can think of is irithyll itself. could be a look into the dlc area or something I guess, but I severely doubt it

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm glad you had a better time than I did, because that's the only encounter in this game that I've outright hated.

I probably should have just come back to it tomorrow, but there's always next play-through.

it seriously helps against the chicken to not lock onto it. also try to stay away from it when it's in the air so it won't do the orbital bombardment fire; sunlight spear's pretty easy to dodge by comparison anyway

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Is the jester armour in this game because after 40 hours, I'm still wearing the default pyromancer outfit (which is nice enough anyway).

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Running through the upper part of Smouldering Lake to the ballista, I noticed there's an opening up one of the walls through which you can see a different area with bluish lighting and a couple of buildings. I'm drawing a blank for what it could be. The only other thing that's underground in the vicinity is the irithyll dungeon and the profaned capitol, but it doesn't seem like that would be right next to the lake area. Although I guess it's possible, since it's hard to tell which direction you're moving towards in underground areas with no point of reference. Anyone know for sure what that might be?

That's the bridge from Distant Manor to Irithyll Dungeon:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

HnK416 posted:

He wants to be chain staggered to death by a bunch of hobos with broken shivs while wearing a full suit of platemail?

vv it's a joke about poise being broken

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kiggles posted:

He wants to be chain staggered to death by a bunch of hobos with broken shivs while wearing a full suit of platemail?

Who doesnt?

Thats not even on top of my list, considering you can be eaten by a chest on legs or leeched to death by maggots.