Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Phi230 posted:

Any tabletop experts out there have tips on tge steam tank and how it will play in TWW?

It seems lackluster in melee and its a standard cannon just on wheels. Is it a specialized giant killer?

Looks kinda the opposite actually. Looks like a trash mob killer. The steam cannon looks nasty against grouped units, while the armour probably makes it all but impregnable against anything small and puny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I have a laptop that is getting a bit long in the tooth and I think I'll be upgrading to a desktop computer sometime after June. Can almost any 1000 dollar PC play a Total War game with everything maxed out or are these games intensive enough now that you need to be using something more powerful than you're generic thousand dollar homemade gamer PC?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Literally maxing everything out at greater than 1080p res may take more than $1,000.

But you'll probably* be in good shape if you turn down a few settings. If you are trying to get a monitor in that 1k it might get tighter.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Phi230 posted:

Any tabletop experts out there have tips on tge steam tank and how it will play in TWW?

It seems lackluster in melee and its a standard cannon just on wheels. Is it a specialized giant killer?

It only gets stuck in melee when it wants to iirc, it can just drive away and keep running people over whenever it wants.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Chomp8645 posted:

This is the real reason basically.

Complaining about it is akin to watching up-close footage of stage actors and criticizing them for over-emoting. It's done on purpose so it can be seen from a distance.
That's why you add an explosion of viscera and blood on impact, with hacked off body parts soaring away from the action, leaving a trail of blood in their wake. It should obviously be a bit exaggerated, since you're going to be watching the action from afar, but combining more than one effect could let them turn down the knockback a bit so it seems less floaty.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I have a laptop that is getting a bit long in the tooth and I think I'll be upgrading to a desktop computer sometime after June. Can almost any 1000 dollar PC play a Total War game with everything maxed out or are these games intensive enough now that you need to be using something more powerful than you're generic thousand dollar homemade gamer PC?

First off, this is all for 1080p if you want more resolution that's probably not happening.

Depending on when the next generation of cards comes out and when it might be doable but they have been adding one last top notch that's only really intended for future computers. If you mean everything but the ludicrously expensive stuff like 8x SSAA, possibly. Fitting a good CPU and GPU is going to be necessary most likely because it's TW, but there are some things that may work in your favor. It's a DX12 game, and that's huge. First off, DX12 games relieve a lot of CPU bottlenecking. That really matters for TW, because it's a heavy CPU load. Second on AMD cards, they've been putting up some loving stupid performance gains in every single game. I'm talking stuff like 50% gains. That's most of the difference between a $300 card and a $650 card. If you get a good deal on a 290/390(X) you might be able to push in on those settings. But the second thing is they're talking real big about pushing the price of VR lower, and that's likely that _90X performance level you need at a price that can be made to work. There's also a reasonable chance that NVIDIA is going to catch up in DX12, and they'll likely have a bigger card if your budget can get stretched. I'd definitely wait for benchmarks because there's a chance that there'll be huge variance in performance for the same price because it's DX12 and if you can stand it wait till the new cards come out.

Also, is this including a monitor or not? Because if it isn't the best chance is going to be a 1080p freesync and hope that it makes 30-40 fps feel good enough for you.

(loving lol at this I run Attila on a 290 with a 3440x1440 screen and it's down in the 20s because I'm stupid).

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I really hope they add ogres as mercenaries. They seem like the perfect guys to hire on a long campaign for some disposable heaving infantry, and their massive bellies could work as battering rams in a siege. They don't need their own faction, they are kind of a gimmick army, but having some ironguts or leadbelchers sprinkled into an army would be pretty cool.

Also, please stop quoting Phi230, it makes the ignore list pointless.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's why you add an explosion of viscera and blood on impact, with hacked off body parts soaring away from the action, leaving a trail of blood in their wake. It should obviously be a bit exaggerated, since you're going to be watching the action from afar, but combining more than one effect could let them turn down the knockback a bit so it seems less floaty.

That's dumb.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It should be like rome 2 where dudes get impaled on elephant tusks and lances and a giant blood lazer starts shooting out of them everywhere like in MGS2.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Washout posted:

Crystal maiden with giant waxed mustache and pointy beard.

pudge as one of those mummy-ogres from a couple pages back :getin:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also, please stop quoting Phi230, it makes the ignore list pointless.

no, I like to be occasionally reminded of why I clicked the ignore button.

for some reason it seems to be much more this thread than others, his posts in ss13 are quite reasonable

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

goodness posted:

Should I play it with or without FotS?

I played Shogun 2 very briefly when it came out but after getting destroyed by the AI on easy or normal I quit after the first few battles of the campaign.

If you're interesting in trying out Shogun 2 again, I would recommend checking out the TW Megathread and Shalcar's LP, which is very informative and newbie-friendly.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Chomp8645 posted:

???????

I guess they are both fantasy and also

Well, Dota originally was a custom map for Warcraft 3 and most of the Dota 2 hero design is inspired on what they looked like in the custom map, which used WC3 assets. Warcraft (pre-WoW at least) is close to Warhammer Fantasy aesthetically.

Essentially we went full circle, Warhammer -> Warcraft -> Dota -> Warhammer.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The only thing about the presentation I just can't love is how the legendary lords interact. Just standing in a clump of units getting whacked without showing any kind of reaction while watching a health bar going down slowly just doesn't do it for me any more.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Of the two? Are we comparing to Warcraft or the real world?

The real world. Specifically, the puffy clothes.

Phi230 posted:

It's an armoured elephant with a cannon basically.

genericnick posted:

The only thing about the presentation I just can't love is how the legendary lords interact. Just standing in a clump of units getting whacked without showing any kind of reaction while watching a health bar going down slowly just doesn't do it for me any more.

The guy in the last video mentions that. When the lords reacted to every hit, they got stun-locked. Which would lead to the mightiest heroes getting killed by zombies.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

genericnick posted:

yeah its a bit lame, but understandable. specially since 1v1 combat stuff is part of WFB (although its just glorified dice rolling there as well so w/e) so you'd kind of hope that your lord would be able to put on a good show.

personally i was hoping for the ability to take over the dude and go hog wild ala Spartan Total Warrior. prooooobably not really all that fun in practice but eh.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really like the dragon flipping out when the chopper blades get to close to it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

It is as they said during the video, if they did that then all single lords would just get stunlocked until they died.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah its a bit lame, but understandable. specially since 1v1 combat stuff is part of WFB (although its just glorified dice rolling there as well so w/e) so you'd kind of hope that your lord would be able to put on a good show.

personally i was hoping for the ability to take over the dude and go hog wild ala Spartan Total Warrior. prooooobably not really all that fun in practice but eh.

I remember that total warrior was supposed to be a franchise and spartan was badass i wonder why that never went anywhere

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Opinion: anyone who thinks the dwarf bowling in this is not absolutely 100% true to the spirit of Warhammer does not actually understand the true spirit of Warhammer, particular as originally developed by Priestly & Co. in the early 80s.

I guess it could use some more blood, but frankly, as a Total War adaptation of tabletop Warhammer Fantasy, this looks aces and the developers clearly understand what they're working on.

And for those who think Warhammer's aesthetic is pure grim-darkness and highly different from Warcraft, I have to ask: how old are you.

Like, real question, how old are you and how much experience do you have with Warhams.

I can see someone who only started following in the last decade or so having that opinion, but Warhams has been in an odd spot for that same amount of time

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I was pretty cold on this game but actually the Bretonnia video kinda sold me as soon as I saw the giant castle with the statue of the Lady on it they have. It goes to show CA actually putting some effort in everything else aside.

The Chaos "DLC" is pretty poo poo though, making it available for one week after is better than nothing but still not super nice for a company(s) that has issues with its fanbase feeling ripped off.
On the other hand it doesn't affect me at all since I pre-order every TW game and get all the DLC because I'm mentally ill. Rome 2 didn't work on my PC at all until about 3 months after release and that didn't stop me.

Gameplay issues-wise though the monstrous units look basically uncounterable with a standard army setup, in the Bret video the Bret spends the entire match siccing his ranged units on the Vargheist and manages to get it to half health before it stomps him. The Total War Lord of the Rings mod is basically amazing but I remember getting my dwarvern army absolutely destroyed by a single Balrog and watching a ball of dwarves slowly diminish around a monster wasn't that fun. If anything the Vargheist looked much worse to deal with than that, although obvs you'll have your own monstrous creatures.
At first look though it looks a little herohammer-ey and I think a lot of the super units I've seen could use a ~30% reduction in health to make mundane units and army positioning more important.

Crumbling on the VC units also seems straight up worse than regular morale but I assume that only happens if theyr out of range of a vampire or necromancer. VC in the Warhammer TW mod were the coolest army concept imo, immune to morale, low damage, very high morale damage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SpaceDrake posted:

Opinion: anyone who thinks the dwarf bowling in this is not absolutely 100% true to the spirit of Warhammer does not actually understand the true spirit of Warhammer, particular as originally developed by Priestly & Co. in the early 80s.

Who cares? It looks bad.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

sassassin posted:

Who cares? It looks bad.

Then you aren't going to like this game, or Warhammer in general. Sorry :(

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

Then you aren't going to like this game, or Warhammer in general. Sorry :(

From all the gameplay we've seen that hasn't happened before. Its probably a bug.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

nopantsjack posted:

I was pretty cold on this game but actually the Bretonnia video kinda sold me as soon as I saw the giant castle with the statue of the Lady on it they have. It goes to show CA actually putting some effort in everything else aside.

The Chaos "DLC" is pretty poo poo though, making it available for one week after is better than nothing but still not super nice for a company(s) that has issues with its fanbase feeling ripped off.
On the other hand it doesn't affect me at all since I pre-order every TW game and get all the DLC because I'm mentally ill. Rome 2 didn't work on my PC at all until about 3 months after release and that didn't stop me.

Gameplay issues-wise though the monstrous units look basically uncounterable with a standard army setup, in the Bret video the Bret spends the entire match siccing his ranged units on the Vargheist and manages to get it to half health before it stomps him.

He didn't focus on the vargheist. He had units of archers just sitting on the wall after the enemy broke through the gates. Basing anything off of that terrible play that was obviously more concerned with getting pretty shots than actually winning is a mistake.

The chaos DLC is poo poo, though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Or would be awesome and lead to the game effectively being Shadows of Mordor with a campaign map.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bladestorm but with a TW-Style commander mode

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Dynasty Warriors: Warhammer Edition?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

genericnick posted:

Ditto, I noticed this in the Handgunners vs Zombies video too. If I could change things, I'd have the LLs and generals rout when the rest of their army has. Because as-is, it looks like you HAVE to kill the General or Legendary Lord to win any battle.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you guys should play rise & fall, it was an rts where you could control your hero units like in a 3rd person brawler

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Davincie posted:

you guys should play rise & fall, it was an rts where you could control your hero units like in a 3rd person brawler

That game was loving awesome. I remember the naval combat was nuts too. We're talking full on "leap from trireme to trireme and start slaying fools" nearly Pirates of the Caribbean level of action.

Couldn't you have one player playing the RTS mode and another as the hero? Getting MP of that going was something I always wanted to do.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Ditto, I noticed this in the Handgunners vs Zombies video too. If I could change things, I'd have the LLs and generals rout when the rest of their army has. Because as-is, it looks like you HAVE to kill the General or Legendary Lord to win any battle.
In one of the historical battles in mtw1, you had to kill a Polish Lord. It was one of the hardest drat battles to win because the fucker kept routing and running even if you hit him with all your heavy cavalry, and then he'd usually make it to the edge of the map to retreat. With the way it's hard to tie any Lord in melee, having them hard to rout makes them more killable

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ravenfood posted:

In one of the historical battles in mtw1, you had to kill a Polish Lord. It was one of the hardest drat battles to win because the fucker kept routing and running even if you hit him with all your heavy cavalry, and then he'd usually make it to the edge of the map to retreat. With the way it's hard to tie any Lord in melee, having them hard to rout makes them more killable

Oh God, I remember that one. :suicide:

Though, in general, in Medieval 1, lovely heirs had a tendency to turn into the loving terminator. I had a particularly horrible-stats prince solo massacre the entire enemy army after his bodyguards got killed to the last man, and eventually inheriting the throne after repeating the feat a couple of times.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

Oh God, I remember that one. :suicide:

Though, in general, in Medieval 1, lovely heirs had a tendency to turn into the loving terminator. I had a particularly horrible-stats prince solo massacre the entire enemy army after his bodyguards got killed to the last man, and eventually inheriting the throne after repeating the feat a couple of times.

This is how Russia ended up ruled by the dread lord Mikhail the Scarred in my MTW2 Russia campaign. I tried so hard to get him killed but he came out of it made of iron and hate.

He eventually sacked Paris.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

my dad posted:

Sounds like something an orc would do, it could be fun if CA implemented a tweaked Med 2 trait system into one of the next Warhammer games.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

xthetenth posted:

These people are maniacs.

There was this one time that the gods of Chaos converted Munster through the Anabaptists

If it's TLDR, Dan Carlin has a nice telling of it

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

straight up direct controlling a unit Men Of War style would be pretty cool, specially the tanks.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Heroes and Lords are apparently max skilled in custom battles, so they're quite a bit more ferocious than your average campaign duder is going to be. OTOH they don't seem to have items aside from mounts, so you've still got that extra bit of min-max potential for single player I guess.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

madmac posted:

Heroes and Lords are apparently max skilled in custom battles, so they're quite a bit more ferocious than your average campaign duder is going to be. OTOH they don't seem to have items aside from mounts, so you've still got that extra bit of min-max potential for single player I guess.

Max skilled in the custom battles we've seen, it appears that isn't a 100% always thing and will probably be a $ option just like previous TW custom battles.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Luminous Cow posted:

He didn't focus on the vargheist. He had units of archers just sitting on the wall after the enemy broke through the gates. Basing anything off of that terrible play that was obviously more concerned with getting pretty shots than actually winning is a mistake.

The chaos DLC is poo poo, though.

Oh yeah he hosed up bigtime but the guy he was playing against is equally bad and had his vargheist just sitting there being shot by the (admittedly dimished) archers for a long time, or a long time for modern TW games and dealt totally fuckall damage. If sustained missile fire isn't the counter to aerial monsters then what is? Another monster? Do dwarves/empire even get a monster? Giant maybe?

On that note I wish the battles were a little longer but thats been a thing since at least Rome 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

nopantsjack posted:

Oh yeah he hosed up bigtime but the guy he was playing against is equally bad and had his vargheist just sitting there being shot by the (admittedly dimished) archers for a long time, or a long time for modern TW games and dealt totally fuckall damage. If sustained missile fire isn't the counter to aerial monsters then what is? Another monster? Do dwarves/empire even get a monster? Giant maybe?

On that note I wish the battles were a little longer but thats been a thing since at least Rome 2.

The thing I worry about is how factions without ranged options deal with both flying units and ranged cavalry. I don't think we'll know until we can all play, though.

• Locked thread