Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EvilGenius posted:

How many people do you think know what Semite is?
I think they used it in the Pan Am 103 bombing IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jews don't run anime, the only worthwhile media

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Namtab posted:

That's what they want you to think.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Namtab posted:

Anime is the favoured media of anti-semites, you heard it here first friends.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Hmmm, anime lovers are nazis? Sounds plausible. We must take action to stamp out the anime menace for once and for all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best thing that could happen right now is Richard Dawkins doing his whole 'flying horse religion lol' thing but for Judaism on twitter.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Anime is the favoured media of anti-semites, you heard it here first friends.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Does Angel Cop count? Or is that the opposite?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Though I'm sure he didn't mean them to, Livingstone's comments flew dangerously close to the "Jews should love Hitler, he got them what they wanted all along" trope that extremists love to trot out.
I don't think what they're hitting him with is even that level of complexity. It's just "Hitler was a Zionist" as a base idea, being a really stupid thing to say if you then need to fight off accusations of antisemitism. As we've been discussing, most people aren't analysing the content so closely, it just sets off "that's anti-Jew" alarm bells.

I always assumed Livingstone knew how things worked, there's no outcome to that statement where he comes out looking anything other than terrible.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If Jews did really run the media I wish they'd put Hava Nagila in more stuff. Tune is catchy as gently caress.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nicky Morgan had a big meltdown at the National Head Teachers conference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36176846

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hitler was a Zionist is also just a dumb thing to say in general, even if you aren't being accused of anti-Semitism. UKIP wanting to send Ukrainians to ukraine doesn't make them Ukrainian nationalists

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah livingstone's comment was really stupid, and he handled it in a really stupid way. then the media pounced and labour didn't react quickly nor decisively enough, which is the main political weakness of jeremy corbyn

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The fact that not kneejerking is considered a political weakness is a bad thing for British politics in general.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Has Corbyn done anything about this since being filmed unable to unlock his office door?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

Has Corbyn done anything about this since being filmed unable to unlock his office door?

He said "Being unable to unlock my office door is bad for Corbyn" & then smirked & everyone in the audience clapped.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

The fact that not kneejerking is considered a political weakness is a bad thing for British politics in general.

There are times when you want to let things settle and have a reasoned debate about both points. Then there are times where you must be seen to take clear, decisive action. Corbyn is good at the former, and garbage at the latter, and unfortunately people will remember occasions when a political leader was unable to take clear decisive action far more than they will remember them having a bit of a chat over a cuppa.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

https://twitter.com/IanAustinMP/status/726113247112380418

What other Hitler-based gems will Labour MPs pull out by Sunday

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

J_RBG posted:

https://twitter.com/IanAustinMP/status/726113247112380418

What other Hitler-based gems will Labour MPs pull out by Sunday

I'm not sure I like MPs being all bantery.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure I like MPs being all bantery.

Shows an inappropriate lack of fear, in my opinion.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah livingstone's comment was really stupid, and he handled it in a really stupid way. then the media pounced and labour didn't react quickly nor decisively enough, which is the main political weakness of jeremy corbyn

I disagree with Labour not reacting quickly enough. They suspended him within what, a couple of hours? Hostile media notwithstanding, could it really have been done more quickly?

Thats not to say Labour come out blameless: the fact Ken feels free to double down (rather than having had sense drilled into him by Corbyn/whips), definitely creates an impression of weakness on the part of Corbyn: a narrative is emerging that he not only can't control the Blairites, but now it looks like it can't control Ken (and by extension possibly others on the left) either.

I also think what Naz Shah said was actually a lot worse, although as others have noted, she had the good sense to apologise properly.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 30, 2016

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

I genuinely have no idea what a Zionist even is, I always thought it was just some kind of racist insult because of the kingdom of Zion. Because the only time I ever heard anyone say "zionist" or some variation were all racist anti-semitic people, usually white supremacists who ALWAYS use this word because it sounds a little classier and more politically affluent than "filthy Jewish scum" which is kind of what they're saying regardless.

Using the term honestly is just asking for trouble and I never trusted anyone who uses that phrase honestly. If someone is smart enough to understand the troubles of Israel Vs. Palestine, they can be smart enough to debate the entire thing without falling into anti-semitic rhetoric. You can hate things ABOUT Israel without hating Jewish people, the two should not be synonymous with each other.

I feel a lot of this comes from the fact people are incredibly ignorant about Israel and Palestine and are not instructed about the smaller particular details that permeate the entire conflict.

No. "Zionism" is the name of a political ideology which says Jews should be given the land of Palestine. Adherents of this ideology literally call themselves Zionists, because that is what the word means. They came up with the word themselves, to describe themselves. It's strange that you accuse Israel's own internal political language as "anti semetic rhetoric".

If you think that anyone calling somebody a "Zionist" must be a Nazi, you are wrong, because Jews are both self described Zionists and self described anti-Zionists. If you think that people who use this word are Nazis then the problem is not with them but you, because you stubbornly stick to an incorrect definition of a word for no reason. I just love the irony of you conflating people's hatred of Israel with a racist hatred of Jews, then claiming that it's somehow something anti-zionists actually do, and then going so far as to blame it on other people being ignorant when your entire argument is a slander based on refusing to learn what words mean.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 30, 2016

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
(in Alan dršovic voice) chomsky said he's a zionist

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
If it was more than a page ago I'd just leave it alone. He did admit he wasn't speaking from a place of expertise.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

Are politicians office doors usually right out there on the street and actually entrances into a foyer of a building?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Corbyn had to wait to be buzzed in. This absolute base level of security is unacceptable imo, he should have run through the wall, leaving a comical outline of himself.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

'Zionism' is a term that seems to get misused or misunderstood far more often than used correctly or appropriately. If you're a politician it seems like it's a good idea to just avoid it altogether.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

quote:

I'm on the rock and then I check a stock
I have to run like a fugitive to save the life I live
I'm going to be Iron like a Lion in Zion

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dead Goon posted:

Are politicians office doors usually right out there on the street and actually entrances into a foyer of a building?

Are you seriously arguing the difference between 'office doors' and 'door to his office'?

Ddraig posted:

Corbyn had to wait to be buzzed in. This absolute base level of security is unacceptable imo, he should have run through the wall, leaving a comical outline of himself.

He forgot which button to press.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Are you seriously arguing the difference between 'office doors' and 'door to his office'?

Seems like the kind of thing you'd happily argue about

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

He forgot which button to press.

Clearly can't be trusted with the nuclear button either.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Yeah that's not a human leg guys.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

Namtab posted:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Rabbi Gottfried has something to say about all this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgm3fMz8L2Q

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Namtab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFT22S9euEI

You must have seen this before.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

is there nothing sacred on earth that zionist global shadow government wont defile with its tendrils? smdh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

No it doesn't.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

No it doesn't.

Yes it does.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

Yes it does.

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now Israel has been directly responsible for my suffering, too.

• Locked thread