Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

CJacobs posted:

The first one appears to be guaranteed, but after that it's random. I've gotten one every time I killed them for the first time on that playthrough.
I've never seen anyone actually confirm getting a random slab from them so until that happens I'm just going to assume it's people getting confused by the guaranteed drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm invading this thread

poptart_fairy posted:

don't sign your posts

god DAMNIT

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Blessed is the sucky faith enchantment, right? I remember it being something like a 10% base damage boost and nothing else.

It absolutely sucks, yes. Do not use the Blessed enchantment unless you're just getting a Mace to blow through the Catacombs or something.

Threep posted:

I've never seen anyone actually confirm getting a random slab from them so until that happens I'm just going to assume it's people getting confused by the guaranteed drop.

It is. I've farmed those motherfuckers more times than I'd care to mention, and I have never seen a single Slab beyond the first kill. As far as I can tell, Slabs are simply finite per NG.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Blessed is the sucky faith enchantment, right? I remember it being something like a 10% base damage boost and nothing else.

Blessed is a bad infusion. It nukes the base damage and adds crappy Faith scaling and unnoticeable HP regen.

Blessed Weapon isn't an awful spell. It's a flat 7.5% damage increase on your weapon. It's only like 5 damage weaker than Lightning Blade at 30 Faith. Lightning Blade obviously beats it at high Faith because Blessed Weapon doesn't scale, but it's good to know you can just get a nice little damage boost for a 15 Faith spell. No reason to ever cast it if you have like 45+ Faith and Lightning/Darkmoon Blade available, of course, but it can be good for a pure physical build with just a splash of Faith.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Fereydun posted:

it's very well established that skeletons do not follow any laws

not those of life/death, sovereign nations nor even the very basic concepts of physics themselves

all skeletons are wild outlaws living on the edge

bad to the bone motherfucker

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Size of bosses is also not really lore based.

You don't think Wolnir was a 70 foot tall man before he fell into the abyss, do you?

I choose to believe he was born a skeleton.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Harrow posted:

It doesn't really get much damage from Faith because its base lightning damage is so low, so it does fine on a non-Faith build. I have 448 AR with 18 Str/39 Dex/18 Faith. The buff adds a flat 80 no matter what your Faith is, I think, though I could be wrong on that. And the weapon art hits Lothric Knights for almost 800, which is pretty cool.

drat, that's a huge drop off on the weapon art damage. Your ARR is higher than mine though, so I guess when it comes to FP vs no FP use it's better.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
How much should I level attunement if I'm only going for weapon buffs like lightning blade?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Just applied the latest patch, have they changed it so enemies are no longer on the invaders side?
Because I just faced a host with two phantoms plus all the enemies aggro against me making it nearly impossible to play as an invader...

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

MZ posted:

Just applied the latest patch, have they changed it so enemies are no longer on the invaders side?
Because I just faced a host with two phantoms plus all the enemies aggro against me making it nearly impossible to play as an invader...

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Seed+Of+A+Giant+Tree

The icon for this will show up in your buff bar if it's active, though apparently sometimes it can glitch and not show up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

How much should I level attunement if I'm only going for weapon buffs like lightning blade?

none? Or rather enough for 1 slot so 10 attunement.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A contender for best DS3 troll: the guy scraping the ground with his log near the beginning of the Crucifixion Woods.

I swear every person I've seen on their first playthrough think the sound is from some huge scary monster, and I haven't seen a single person actually realising that it's just him making that noise :allears:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kild posted:

allegedly the golden winged knights can drop slabs

I thought you just got a slab for beating the 3 knight encounter

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Just had a nearly 10-minute High Lord Wolnir fight because his last bracelet was never in range long enough for me to run to it and attack. Did you know he can summon a giant version of his boss soul sword and slam it into the ground just like the weapon art? I saw it many, many times. In a row. :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MZ posted:

There is an item, the Seed of the Giants, that will turn enemies hostile to Invaders. It's from DS2.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ruggington posted:

I thought you just got a slab for beating the 3 knight encounter

You do but people are claiming they also got some randomly after getting that one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's hilarious how much easier the game is with the Uchi and not a Claymore btw. Things die like twice as quick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cyberventurer posted:

Just had a nearly 10-minute High Lord Wolnir fight because his last bracelet was never in range long enough for me to run to it and attack. Did you know he can summon a giant version of his boss soul sword and slam it into the ground just like the weapon art? I saw it many, many times. In a row. :v:

It's supposed to be the "main" way of killing all of the skeletons he summons, since it counts as a Blessed weapon and will permanently kill off white-eyed skeletons. He starts off by summoning white-eyed skeletons, then white-eyed Bonewheels, then white eyed Carthus Rogues. He'd honestly be a really interesting boss encounter - he's the only boss in the game who has a hard time limit to beat him by - if it weren't for the fact that he's trivially easy.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

RBA Starblade posted:

It's hilarious how much easier the game is with the Uchi and not a Claymore btw. Things die like twice as quick.

Wait until you get a zweihander

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i invaded into a 3 man train of identical lovely trouser knights with dark swords in farron keep with the seed of giants up and the surprise happy ending to this is that i rolled out of the way of a stray demon boulder spit and it cleared the host out right off the ledge. cya dopes

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

RBA Starblade posted:

That's because an Uchigatana is folded one thousand times and made in the molten flames of the Land of the Rising Sun and cooled in the ever frozen snowcaps of holy Mountain Fuji so that it's steel can slice through undead flesh like cutting blades of grass or the head of the Orochi.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

I dunno, Claymore can stun lock big enemies that the Uchi can only scratch. Uchigatana still remains at peak power level in DS1.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Seed+Of+A+Giant+Tree

The icon for this will show up in your buff bar if it's active, though apparently sometimes it can glitch and not show up.

Ah that makes sense! Thanks!

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Good lord the rate of Dark Sword users is insane. I just counted 15 invasions -- one person wielding anything else.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm so sick of seeing the dark sword I don't even summon friendly phantoms with them anymore

same goes for abyss watcher armor

Luceid posted:

i invaded into a 3 man train of identical lovely trouser knights with dark swords in farron keep with the seed of giants up and the surprise happy ending to this is that i rolled out of the way of a stray demon boulder spit and it cleared the host out right off the ledge. cya dopes

stained with the misery of flight indeed

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I dunno, Claymore can stun lock big enemies that the Uchi can only scratch. Uchigatana still remains at peak power level in DS1.

This.

Katanas are great or useless depending on the enemy.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Whips are poo poo. Why can't I be a belmont???????

Dark souls 2 got the whips right, but the stupid loving durability thing they did screwed it all up. Now we're back to whips lasting forever, but not doing well at all.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dark Souls 2 got a lot of things right that didn't carry over, sadly

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I got back to fight soul of cinder and just freaked out when I noticed the theme for his second phase is a remix of gwyn's theme

so good

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fargin Icehole posted:

Whips are poo poo. Why can't I be a belmont???????

Dark souls 2 got the whips right, but the stupid loving durability thing they did screwed it all up. Now we're back to whips lasting forever, but not doing well at all.

I dunno, I had a grand ol' time in Irithyll smacking invaders around for 80 HP apiece. If they got fresh, I used Darkmoon Blade and really put the hurt on.

Whips look really cool with Darkmoon Blade.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah you only need 1 slot if lightning blade is all you want, but keep in mind if you're going the faith route that tears of denial is actually really good now. It has no time limit anymore so it's almost a free life.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

drat, that's a huge drop off on the weapon art damage. Your ARR is higher than mine though, so I guess when it comes to FP vs no FP use it's better.

How much do you do on a Faith build with the weapon art?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vermain posted:

Decided to try out FTH to see if I was correct in assuming that it sucks. Mediocre news: it sucks. On the spear Hollows in Crucixifion Woods, a direct-to-the-face Lightning Spear with both rings at 50 FTH, with a +10 Saint's Talisman, does approximately 511 damage. Sunlight Blade on my Drakeblood Greatsword does something like 540 on every light swing. Seems okay to me!

Lightning Spear kind of sucks now, but what about Sunlight Spear and Great Lightning Spear? I'm not sure if Faith actually sucks or if everyone tries the easiest to get spell and nothing else

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Status update: My Silver Knight archer invader continues to be ineffective. Trying out Black Bow of Pharis now expecting no change in fight outcome but more arrows sticking out of host.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Why do people obsess over Dark Sword anyways I tried it out and it didn't seem anything special

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why do people obsess over Dark Sword anyways I tried it out and it didn't seem anything special

Did you upgrade it all the way and have a quality build?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's got the highest damage of any straight sword and it still has the R1 spamming goodness of all straight swords. Only its R2 is arguably useless, and even that is still useful for baiting out attacks.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Okay so I want to know why the gently caress Anri just doesn't exist anymore.

I met Anri and Horace in the Catacombs, killed Horace in the Lake, didn't tell Anri where he was, met Anri in the church and didn't kill the assassin because I didn't know it was there, and then I found out about Hollowing and co-op stuff related to it and cured my Dark Sigil, then killed Yuria for her armor before she left.
There was no summon sign to help her with Aldrich, she's not in the Darkmoon Temple, not in the Lake where Horace was, and Ludleth never gave me her sword.

I just want her armor, goddamnit :argh:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

It's supposed to be the "main" way of killing all of the skeletons he summons, since it counts as a Blessed weapon and will permanently kill off white-eyed skeletons. He starts off by summoning white-eyed skeletons, then white-eyed Bonewheels, then white eyed Carthus Rogues. He'd honestly be a really interesting boss encounter - he's the only boss in the game who has a hard time limit to beat him by - if it weren't for the fact that he's trivially easy.

Uh I don't think theres a timelimit unless its higher than like 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

HnK416 posted:

Okay so I want to know why the gently caress Anri just doesn't exist anymore.

I met Anri and Horace in the Catacombs, killed Horace in the Lake, didn't tell Anri where he was, met Anri in the church and didn't kill the assassin because I didn't know it was there, and then I found out about Hollowing and co-op stuff related to it and cured my Dark Sigil, then killed Yuria for her armor before she left.
There was no summon sign to help her with Aldrich, she's not in the Darkmoon Temple, not in the Lake where Horace was, and Ludleth never gave me her sword.

I just want her armor, goddamnit :argh:

you broke that quest like seven times over