Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I fought a guy yesterday using a dark sword in one hand and an estoc in the other

I don't think they're as effective when used in that way, my man lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I've forgotten how to get to the disconnected stretch of bridge that you can see from the Foot of the High Wall, the one with a demon wandering on it. Can someone refresh my memory?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BurntCornMuffin posted:

My new hobby: throwing undead hunter charms into melee/at estus drinkers and watching the ensuing panic.

I tried one on a host for the first time today, he panic rolled into a mob of enemies trying to get away from me and died.

Why don't more invaders use these? They seem like a must have in this meta.

There's nothing stopping them from running until it wears off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Question: If I'm on NG+ and my friend is still on his first run, will he be able to summon me if we're using a password?

Yes, assuming no network screw ups. The NGs aren't separated.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Ixjuvin posted:

ive lost about 30 invasions in a row now on account of trying to use pyromancy and a weapon that is not a straight sword and i just want A SINGLE loving PALE TONGUE so i can respec out of these dex points i grabbed trying to use weapons that aren't straight swords and i swear to god im going to strangle someone

Locking respec behind that is one of the more baffling decisions in this game. DS2 handled it fine.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

StrangeAeon posted:

I've forgotten how to get to the disconnected stretch of bridge that you can see from the Foot of the High Wall, the one with a demon wandering on it. Can someone refresh my memory?

Farron Keep, watchdog of farron bonfire if you have it

if not, go to the bonfire before the doors you open with the flames, forget the name of it, and hang a right as you walk towards the doors. There'll be a slug tower, keep going, you'll see a ladder

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is calling DS3 easy the freshest new meme?

Or is it just the ol' "heh, well I thought everything was easy :smug:" bragging shtick?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lol ds3 is too easy guy up in here

This is the same guy who said PVE is lame and brain dead AI so yeah lol.

edit: I say both because god knows Soul fans love to brag when everything is easy. Good for you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ixjuvin posted:

ive lost about 30 invasions in a row now on account of trying to use pyromancy and a weapon that is not a straight sword and i just want A SINGLE loving PALE TONGUE so i can respec out of these dex points i grabbed trying to use weapons that aren't straight swords and i swear to god im going to strangle someone

I think there's two or three pale tongues that are in the game world. Otherwise why don't you go invade in the Aldrich area? You'll always outnumber the invadees if you wait for Aldrich backup

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

My new hobby: throwing undead hunter charms into melee/at estus drinkers and watching the ensuing panic.

I tried one on a host for the first time today, he panic rolled into a mob of enemies trying to get away from me and died.

Why don't more invaders use these? They seem like a must have in this meta.

They throw insanely slowly, you can basically only ever land it if you preemptively throw it at someone who's going to go take a sip or you knocked them down from a riposte or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gologle posted:

It's got the highest damage of any straight sword and it still has the R1 spamming goodness of all straight swords. Only its R2 is arguably useless, and even that is still useful for baiting out attacks.

I was using the Dark Sword because I'm an unrepentant power gamer but once I found a Lothric Knight Sword I switched to that. It's got only slightly less damage and your R2 is a thrusting attack.

I also feel like maybe it has more range? But it's hard to tell if that's just confirmation bias or not.

e: The real reason is because it goes with my outfit, though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 30, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Or is it just the ol' "heh, well I thought everything was easy :smug:" bragging shtick?

Anybody who thinks DS3 is easy compared to dark souls 1 hasn't played DS1 in a while.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shindragon posted:

edit: I say both because god knows Soul fans love to brag when everything is easy. Good for you.

I managed to beat Aldrich with my caestus but I had to use 9 estus and an ember to heal myself lol

I like to think I'm good but I'm probably not that great

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Ineffiable posted:

I think there's two or three pale tongues that are in the game world. Otherwise why don't you go invade in the Aldrich area? You'll always outnumber the invadees if you wait for Aldrich backup

ive been doing this im just very, very bad.

i just wanted to use pyromancy :((((((((

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Shindragon posted:

No one's bragging, I honestly think they could have done more to make it challenging. NG+ scales up higher in older games, bonfires are more scarce in older games, enemies are less predictable (if you haven't played 3+ other souls games with the same exact AI yet.) You also get a million flasks now unless you play sorcerer then you need Fp flasks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
God its bullshit how hand holdingly easy DS3 is.

It's also bullshit how hard it is to buy pants that fit because my dick is so huge

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's also bullshit how hard it is to buy pants that fit because my dick is so huge

same but the opposite

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I dont claim to know the exact broken properties of it. I do know that I can run in at the Sage in Archives and get a couple of hits in with my BEST weapon and he'll teleport. If I run in with the Dark Sword, he just stands there and dies from 100 to 0 without being able to teleport.

I dont need to see a lot more than that, if it's anything like that against other enemies and bosses but using it you are probably missing most of the game may as well CE yourself infinite souls and godmode if you really hate anything resembling challenge (as if DS3 isnt hand-holdingly easy enough.)

Like if you have one and use it in PVE, at least have the self awareness to hide it in public.

As one who abused the hell out of it until I got bored and switched to "nonoptimal" weapons, here's what I see as broken:

* Longest range in SS, near claymore range.
* Near claymore damage
* SS speed, spammability

Honestly, most of the problems would be fixed if it were reclassified as a GS and had the moves slowed down.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Yeah this was my first souls game and the sheer amount of estus just felt absurd, I never really felt like I had to actually get good at a fight to win, just run away and drink every time I got hit, with only really Pontiff Sullyvahn and the Nameless King being able to punish it at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Babe Magnet posted:

I managed to beat Aldrich with my caestus but I had to use 9 estus and an ember to heal myself lol

I like to think I'm good but I'm probably not that great

That's totally fine. Just I roll my eyes over when souls fan in general do that poo poo (hur hur boss was so easy I dunno why people found him/her hard). Od i do agree some of that is minimized with all those estus we got. Granted people didn't' like the limited DS2 estus you start off with so, it's like well what can they do to balance it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Babe Magnet posted:

same but the opposite

you go shopping for dicks that'll fit in your pants?

maybe stop wearing the Dancer set.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No one's bragging, I honestly think they could have done more to make it challenging. NG+ scales up higher in older games, bonfires are more scarce in older games, enemies are less predictable (if you haven't played 3+ other souls games with the same exact AI yet.) You also get a million flasks now unless you play sorcerer then you need Fp flasks.

In DS1 you always had 10-20 flasks if you wanted to and in DS2 you had infinite lifegems.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

BurntCornMuffin posted:

As one who abused the hell out of it until I got bored and switched to "nonoptimal" weapons, here's what I see as broken:

* Longest range in SS, near claymore range.
* Near claymore damage
* SS speed, spammability

Honestly, most of the problems would be fixed if it were reclassified as a GS and had the moves slowed down.

It has to be the speed + no poise thing, there is no other explanation for the scenario I described. I guess it consumes very little stamina too?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

DS1 gave you 20 flasks that healed you for significantly more. Also, enemies really don't scale up much at all in DS1 NG+ relative to how much damage you can put out.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 30, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Shindragon posted:

it is. you have video games disease

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shindragon posted:

That's totally fine. Just I roll my eyes over when souls fan in general do that poo poo (hur hur boss was so easy I dunno why people found him/her hard). Od i do agree some of that is minimized with all those estus we got. Granted people didn't' like the limited DS2 estus you start off with so, it's like well what can they do to balance it?

I think they tried to balance it with ashen estus but the problem is:

1) magic blows, so most people aren't going to be using it, which means most people aren't going to care about FP
2) you STILL get a lot of estus. the 9 I mentioned using is from me having 2 put away for ashen estus (so I can have 1 when I invade)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you go shopping for dicks that'll fit in your pants?

maybe stop wearing the Dancer set.

I'll stop wearing the dancer pants when my rear end stops being so cute

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Shindragon posted:

t's like well what can they do to balance it?

Well Im not game designed but I was thinking something along the lines of no healing of any kind + permadeath would be ok.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Andrast posted:

In DS1 you always had 10-20 flasks if you wanted to and in DS2 you had infinite lifegems.

That's why I still think DS1 is by far the easiest in the series if you managed your humanity correctly.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if they kept anything from ds2 it should have been estus not healing you instantly

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wish DS3 had some kind of system for keeping all these super models from trying to have sex with me when I am playing their baby easy game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

if they kept anything from ds2 it should have been estus not healing you instantly

and poise

and Maldron

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wish DS3 had some kind of system for keeping all these super models from trying to have sex with me when I am playing their baby easy game

its called playing the pc version

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
i literally dont even get to do damage to a lot of these guys i just get stunlocked to death after running out of fp. so salty

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

I'll give them a try, but I'm not expecting much. It's stupid as hell that one is locked behind covenant grinding, and the other requires you to beat the final boss of the game.

The hill that you are on has a cliff at the very top that you cannot pass through. If you take too long on the fight and do not knock Wolnir down the hill far enough by shattering his bracers, he will eventually climb up and pass through the cliff, killing you with his lifedraining mist.

Does it not happen if you break only a single bracer? I literally sat there for like 5 minutes at that cliff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Does it not happen if you break only a single bracer? I literally sat there for like 5 minutes at that cliff.

I think Wolnir is pretty much RNG: The Boss. If he wants to, he'll literally just bumrush you until your back is against the wall and his farts instakill you. Other times he'll just sit around and do nothing but swipe.

It's a shame too, because it would be one of my favorite bosses if there actually was any strategy involved beyond "get lucky" or "use a strong weapon and kill him in 20 seconds".

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
I finally got one! They... they were trying to use magic, too. :shobon:

I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY :negative:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Your Computer posted:

I think Wolnir is pretty much RNG: The Boss. If he wants to, he'll literally just bumrush you until your back is against the wall and his farts instakill you. Other times he'll just sit around and do nothing but swipe.

It's a shame too, because it would be one of my favorite bosses if there actually was any strategy involved beyond "get lucky" or "use a strong weapon and kill him in 20 seconds".

I don't think you even need a strong weapon, I think I killed him last time with an unupgraded longsword just by hitting his Zelda bracelets. I've never seen him phase through the cliff even on my first playthrough, where I was up against it for a while.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Eh, me personally I just think the bosses have too little health. That's about the only way I'd call this game "easy" over the others. Many of the zones are up there in difficulty/survivability.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I killed him with caestus, you definitely do not need a strong weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ixjuvin posted:

Darkwraiths drop them too.