Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

GG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress I finally beat Aldrich. It came down to both of us being at basically zero health, me having no healing items left and sprinting towards him hoping I get a hit in before he does.

We died simultaneously and I got pissy until I realised I got the kill credit. I'll take a draw, Aldy. :)

I guess I have to go into this loving dungeon now. :negative:

I did that last night as well on NG++. Went in for the last hit right as he fired off the homing billion arrows that rain from the ceiling and how the gently caress do they fall with that kind of velocity when the ceiling is only like 30 feet up? I just stopped in my tracks after killing him, knowing drat well those arrows would probably still hurt, and they did. The really funny part is, the exact same thing happened with the two Aldrich Faithful invaders I had on my way up there.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

HnK416 posted:

Okay so I want to know why the gently caress Anri just doesn't exist anymore.

I met Anri and Horace in the Catacombs, killed Horace in the Lake, didn't tell Anri where he was, met Anri in the church and didn't kill the assassin because I didn't know it was there, and then I found out about Hollowing and co-op stuff related to it and cured my Dark Sigil, then killed Yuria for her armor before she left.
There was no summon sign to help her with Aldrich, she's not in the Darkmoon Temple, not in the Lake where Horace was, and Ludleth never gave me her sword.

I just want her armor, goddamnit :argh:

What about that part where you tell her where horace is , did you tell her about Smouldering Lake? Apparently that part decides everything. Also, the Aldrich summon sign is not in front of the door but instead at the front of the building, so maybe you just missed it?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
not killing the pilgrim causes the marriage event to happen. If you kill Yuria or break her quest before you get hitched Anri is now permanently missable

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Anri will only proceed to have a summon sign for Aldrich if you kill the pilgrim, the first time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Lightning Spear kind of sucks now, but what about Sunlight Spear and Great Lightning Spear? I'm not sure if Faith actually sucks or if everyone tries the easiest to get spell and nothing else

I'll give them a try, but I'm not expecting much. It's stupid as hell that one is locked behind covenant grinding, and the other requires you to beat the final boss of the game.

Kild posted:

Uh I don't think theres a timelimit unless its higher than like 5 minutes.

The hill that you are on has a cliff at the very top that you cannot pass through. If you take too long on the fight and do not knock Wolnir down the hill far enough by shattering his bracers, he will eventually climb up and pass through the cliff, killing you with his lifedraining mist.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HnK416 posted:

I met Anri and Horace in the Catacombs, killed Horace in the Lake, didn't tell Anri where he was, met Anri in the church and didn't kill the assassin because I didn't know it was there, and then I found out about Hollowing and co-op stuff related to it and cured my Dark Sigil, then killed Yuria for her armor before she left.
There was no summon sign to help her with Aldrich, she's not in the Darkmoon Temple, not in the Lake where Horace was, and Ludleth never gave me her sword.

Hollowing has no effect on any component of the game apart from Hollow weapon scaling and potentially Hollowslayer Greatsword damage.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 30, 2016

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why do people obsess over Dark Sword anyways I tried it out and it didn't seem anything special

Gologle posted:

It's got the highest damage of any straight sword and it still has the R1 spamming goodness of all straight swords. Only its R2 is arguably useless, and even that is still useful for baiting out attacks.

Its not so much the damage, lots of weapons do damage, its the reach, it has a phantom hitbox so big you could drive a truck through it. Which is why the rebalance for it to use more stamina is stupid because it does not address that its still a sweeping R1 with the reach of an Estoc. And of course in DS3 because of no poise even the tiniest nick sends you into a stunlock for the following hit.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You seem upset, at dark souls

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Hollowing has no effect on any component of the game apart from Hollowslayer damage and Hollow weapon scaling.

and being ugly

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Robo Reagan posted:

Lightning Spear kind of sucks now, but what about Sunlight Spear and Great Lightning Spear? I'm not sure if Faith actually sucks or if everyone tries the easiest to get spell and nothing else

I made a big effort post comparing the damage of the Nameless King weapon with those two miracles. tl;dr Great Lightning Spear is fine, Sunlight Spear is awesome. Just remember to slam it into your enemies point blank.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

argondamn posted:

and being ugly

The most important effect.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

HnK416 posted:

She can appear Hollowed up a hill from the Cathedral of the Deep bonfire - not the main stairway, there is a wiggly switchback up the hillside that leads to the spot. Try checking there? You may have just broke it too hard :(

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Vermain posted:

The hill that you are on has a cliff at the very top that you cannot pass through. If you take too long on the fight and do not knock Wolnir down the hill far enough by shattering his bracers, he will eventually climb up and pass through the cliff, killing you with his lifedraining mist.

That only seems to happen if you run too far away from him, causing him to try to catch up to you.

I did notice that he's not actually falling back down the hill when you break a bracelet, though. Something's yanking him. When all three bracelets are destroyed, he's dragged off to the abyss. :ohdear:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

argondamn posted:

and being ugly

Of course, but my point was that the rumor about hollowing affecting matchmaking is completely unfounded and untrue.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Robo Reagan posted:

Sunlight spear hits for around 1500 damage in melee at 60 faith with a +10 catalyst. It still does 700-800 at range and is fast. But you have to beat the last boss to get it and I'm still not sure it's worth it over just smacking monsters with a buffed sword. I haven't really tried the other spells, so maybe there are some gems, but I'm not sold on the melee range spells when you can do more damage more safely with a weapon combo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'll give them a try, but I'm not expecting much. It's stupid as hell that one is locked behind covenant grinding, and the other requires you to beat the final boss of the game.

At 60 Faith, Sunlight Spear does like 1500 damage point-blank. I think maybe 700 is the spear itself so that's what you get at range.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

im still the hero right

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

on my first no death attempt i died in a zone i've literally never died in. dark souls.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

At 60 Faith, Sunlight Spear does like 1500 damage point-blank. I think maybe 700 is the spear itself so that's what you get at range.

It's a massive FP glutton, though. I'm not sure it's worth the effort, except possibly for tricking people in PVP.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HnK416 posted:

don't worry, there's always NG+

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Between the server errors in DS1, the degrade glitch in DS2, and now this in DS3 I do not understand why people get the PC version

Do you really need 60 FPS that bad

It allows me to play in 21:9 using a WiiU Pro controller. Pretty nice to be honest.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any easy way to farm Proof of a Concord yet?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

It's a massive FP glutton, though. I'm not sure it's worth the effort, except possibly for tricking people in PVP.

Yeah, for sure. I feel like that one's balanced around PvP for sure--being able to spam it against players would be pretty nasty, given that it's a one-shot--but that guts its usefulness in PvE sadly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I wonder if there's anything like the process for getting the pickaxe is dark souls 2 in this game.

Like, apparently the tiny crab in the skeleton ball leashes to one of the crabs in smouldering lake but I don't know how you'd even get it down there. Wouldn't it die from the fall at the bridge?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Ruggington posted:

im still the hero right

yes, the true anti-hero ending is letting the firekeeper take the flame, then being like "PSYCHE!" and killing her in between cutscenes so you take the flame for yourself and loving EVERYTHING UP by doing so :unsmigghh:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Houdini posted:

Is the jester armour in this game because after 40 hours, I'm still wearing the default pyromancer outfit (which is nice enough anyway).

I am still using the Lothric Knight armor set with the exception of switching out different crest shields. using a +10 of the sword character was given at the start.

Weapon balance is just weird in this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

I am still using the Lothric Knight armor set with the exception of switching out different crest shields. using a +10 of the sword character was given at the start.

Weapon balance is just weird in this game.

It's normal in Souls games for every weapon (except like a Broken Straight Sword) to be entirely viable from beginning to end so long as you upgrade it.

Straight swords being this loving good, though, is new. They've always been good, but this is above and beyond.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Question: If I'm on NG+ and my friend is still on his first run, will he be able to summon me if we're using a password?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I've had a lot of luck staying at around 20-25 in the undead settlement for getting summoned as a darkmoon blade. Had a killstreak of 8 invaders when i got called into a fingered world and the enemy phantoms just kept coming!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Any easy way to farm Proof of a Concord yet?

Well if you're part of the .01% that can get summons, yes. Otherwise you're farming the Anor Londo bonfire with CSR, Symbol of Avarice, Gold Serpent, and a Rusted Coin for ~10 hours.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

NTT posted:

You seem upset, at dark souls

What? No, the Dank Sword won't stop trash players from dying, I don't care if they use it. I'm just saying why it's so popular.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
quick summon / blue sentinel question: if i'm at sl1, with a +2 upgrade, i should still be able to get blue cop'ed in to sl1 through sl 21, with an upgrade range of +0 to +4 right?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Monomythian posted:

What? No, the Dank Sword won't stop trash players from dying, I don't care if they use it. I'm just saying why it's so popular.

I dont claim to know the exact broken properties of it. I do know that I can run in at the Sage in Archives and get a couple of hits in with my BEST weapon and he'll teleport. If I run in with the Dark Sword, he just stands there and dies from 100 to 0 without being able to teleport.

I dont need to see a lot more than that, if it's anything like that against other enemies and bosses but using it you are probably missing most of the game may as well CE yourself infinite souls and godmode if you really hate anything resembling challenge (as if DS3 isnt hand-holdingly easy enough.)

Like if you have one and use it in PVE, at least have the self awareness to hide it in public.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 30, 2016

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
ive lost about 30 invasions in a row now on account of trying to use pyromancy and a weapon that is not a straight sword and i just want A SINGLE loving PALE TONGUE so i can respec out of these dex points i grabbed trying to use weapons that aren't straight swords and i swear to god im going to strangle someone

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I dont need to see a lot more than that, if it's anything like that against other enemies and bosses but using it you are probably missing most of the game may as well CE yourself infinite souls and godmode if you really hate anything resembling challenge (as if DS3 isnt hand-holdingly easy enough.)

Lol ds3 is too easy guy up in here

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I dont claim to know the exact broken properties of it. I do know that I can run in at the Sage in Archives and get a couple of hits in with my BEST weapon and he'll teleport. If I run in with the Dark Sword, he just stands there and dies from 100 to 0 without being able to teleport.

I just mean its use in pvp. I wouldn't have an opinion on anyone using anything in pve.

If fact you can and should use CE against the Nameless King.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ixjuvin posted:

ive lost about 30 invasions in a row now on account of trying to use pyromancy and a weapon that is not a straight sword and i just want A SINGLE loving PALE TONGUE so i can respec out of these dex points i grabbed trying to use weapons that aren't straight swords and i swear to god im going to strangle someone

Dex has plenty of good pvp options you don't need to go straight sword to win

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

My new hobby: throwing undead hunter charms into melee/at estus drinkers and watching the ensuing panic.

I tried one on a host for the first time today, he panic rolled into a mob of enemies trying to get away from me and died.

Why don't more invaders use these? They seem like a must have in this meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

(as if DS3 isnt hand-holdingly easy enough.)

O_O