Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I swear this thread makes zero sense sometimes

Both bands own btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
As someone whose favorite metal band is Voivod: Vektor don't resemble them more than aesthetically. Voivod are punky, noise-rocky, psychedelic and dissonant. Vektor are as melodic as late-era Death at times, and a lot more wanky and flashy.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

War and Pain is a great thrash album and Nothingface is an acquired taste, but just as good.

That is my opinion on Voivod.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

beefart posted:

I could never get into Voivod but Vektor owns and hooked me immediately :iiam:

Yeah same. On one hand I love Vektor and on the other after a couple of hours listening to Voivod all I got is "catchy sometimes but not really doing it for me" v:shobon:v

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Nothingface is maybe my favorite metal album. The songwriting is so, so fluid despite being incredibly complex.

With Vektor, the only thing that sticks with me is the solo of Fast Paced Society. The rest is too padded, too many generic neothrash riffs, time-wasting prog bits. Seriously, Black Future is so loving drawn-out, it's absolutely exasperating.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gamma Nerd posted:

As someone whose favorite metal band is Voivod: Vektor don't resemble them more than aesthetically. Voivod are punky, noise-rocky, psychedelic and dissonant. Vektor are as melodic as late-era Death at times, and a lot more wanky and flashy.
Yeah, Dimension Hatröss is the only album that sounds particularly close to Vektor's sound, and only if you completely tune out the vocals on both. And if you don't do that, Voivod's musical approach is probably closer to Devo than another metal band.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gamma Nerd posted:

Nothingface is maybe my favorite metal album. The songwriting is so, so fluid despite being incredibly complex.
Yeah, it took me a few attempts, but Nothingface ended up being a pleasant surprise with how well it flowed together and how good the instrumentation was.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
metal RULES

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Yeah, Dimension Hatröss is the only album that sounds particularly close to Vektor's sound, and only if you completely tune out the vocals on both. And if you don't do that, Voivod's musical approach is probably closer to Devo than another metal band.

More directly Die Kreuzen than Devo, but you can tell they were strongly inspired by post-punk and noise rock, in addition to the obvious Floyd/Crimson and thrash metal.

With Vektor, Obliveon and Aspid are probably clearer antecedents to their sound. If their logo wasn't modeled off Voivod's, it'd be obvious that they were on very different parts of the tech thrash continuum.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

apparently viking released a new album w/ gene hoglan on drums last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xM_tHM_szw

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

More directly Die Kreuzen than Devo, but you can tell they were strongly inspired by post-punk and noise rock, in addition to the obvious Floyd/Crimson and thrash metal.

With Vektor, Obliveon and Aspid are probably clearer antecedents to their sound. If their logo wasn't modeled off Voivod's, it'd be obvious that they were on very different parts of the tech thrash continuum.

I didn't even notice the logo until recently. They're the only band I can think of that comes close to doing Snake's riffing style. Plus their vocalist said Voivod has been his favorite band since he was 16. They're not the sole influence but I think their love of Voivod is extremely obvious in the sound.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Saw Eyehategod play last night. Great set. Drove down from Canada for eight hours to see them and it was absolutely worth it. They played forever. Mike Williams is.... something else. He seemed incredibly hosed up, but I dunno how much of that was just him being in the zone for performance and how much was some drug cocktail. Maybe both. He was on point for the songs though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Listening to the new Aborted album. Anyone else heard it yet? Thoughts?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

attackmole posted:

Saw Eyehategod play last night. Great set. Drove down from Canada for eight hours to see them and it was absolutely worth it. They played forever. Mike Williams is.... something else. He seemed incredibly hosed up, but I dunno how much of that was just him being in the zone for performance and how much was some drug cocktail. Maybe both. He was on point for the songs though.

No matter where I see EHG, I always leave feeling dirty. Like I need a shower. Even if I'm not in the pit. It's just something about the experience of seeing them.

...it's awesome.

I'm seeing Absu in about 4 hours in Raleigh, NC. If anyone's going and sees a guy in a Leviathan shirt, say hi.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
bolt thrower

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

*entire thread nods in approval and walks away

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're the only band I can think of that comes close to doing Snake's riffing style.

That seems to be pretty difficult to achieve, given that Snake is the vocalist.

Can you give me one example of a Vektor riff that sounds like a Voivod riff? Discount how different the songwriting is, any examples of riffs with the detuned and caustic dissonant feeling of Voivod? If I had to pick any bands, I'd say that the Japanese band DOOM come closest to Voivod's sound, but their videos aren't available on YouTube in America. Otherwise, my picks for "closest to Voivod's riff style" would be Lob of Lemmings, Cyberhed, and Thought Industry.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

:agreed:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

caiman posted:

Listening to the new Aborted album. Anyone else heard it yet? Thoughts?

I listened to it yesterday and it owns a lot

I was hoping for more Travis Ryan on his guest track and that's about my only complaint. Solid record all around

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Someone put up a GoFundMe to pay for a plane ticket to go beat Varg up

I'm giving him a few bucks when I get paid on Wednesday

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

I'm assuming this is your gofundme and that's a pic of you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm assuming this is your gofundme and that's a pic of you.

I live in Texas, not Missouri, and my hair isn't nearly that good. :smith:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Varg IS a piece of poo poo and all, sure, but that's just loving asinine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And, more to the point, hilarious. I wish him godspeed.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

American metalhead found stabbed 20 times, Varg claims self-defense. More at 11.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ugh we are going to get another Lords of Chaos out of this aren't we

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

COOL CORN posted:

Ugh we are going to get another Lords of Chaos out of this aren't we

I'd say more Lards of Chaos.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A TURGID FATSO posted:

:drat:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A TURGID FATSO posted:

New thread title

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tote-al chaos

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

COOL CORN posted:

I'm seeing Absu in about 4 hours in Raleigh, NC. If anyone's going and sees a guy in a Leviathan shirt, say hi.

I was in the white godflesh shirt, that was a helluva show

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Scrambles posted:

I was in the white godflesh shirt, that was a helluva show

Yeah, good grief Absu was good. There's NO way Proscriptor isn't on cocaine or something. That man has superhuman levels of energy.

Also there were two girls at the very front who were alternating between making out with each other, and literally trying to grab the bassist's dick. It was... weird.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Nordick posted:

Looks like Monument have nabbed a page from Sabaton's lyrics book for their new single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6o9HBPpdEs

Their debut from 2014 is fantastic and so is this song, god drat this owns. :fap:

That is pretty drat good

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey, here's some metal bands that, so far, I've enjoyed everything of their's that I've heard. These are just a few bands I can think of that I've not found anything they put out that I didn't enjoy. Can the elitist douches of this thread articulate what's wrong with my taste in music, and suggest something better? (I know you're not all of you are douches, but I'm asking this of those who are)

Emperor
Ihsahn
Darkthrone
DragonForce
Cannibal Corpse
Death
Celtic Frost
Anaal Nathrakh
Woe of Tyrants
Beyond Creation
Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Slayer

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
could you explain to the class what you mean by "better" in this context?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Sure, riff for riff, you could definitely make some great comparisons to stuff like "Where the Night" off of Aspid's album. I think the Voivod comparisons are more about their overall approach to songwriting, especially the way the inter-guitar dissonances and upper-register tritones are worked into thrash riffs. Like, take that verse riff from "Technocratic Manipulators" -- that's all over Vektor's work the same way you can listen to Queensryche's "Gonna Get Close to You" off of Rage for Order and hear the aesthetic of that one song slathered all over Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane album. You wouldn't accuse Pain of Salvation of sounding overly like Queensryche for that even though the stamp is utterly undeniable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Hey, here's some metal bands that, so far, I've enjoyed everything of their's that I've heard. These are just a few bands I can think of that I've not found anything they put out that I didn't enjoy. Can the elitist douches of this thread articulate what's wrong with my taste in music, and suggest something better? (I know you're not all of you are douches, but I'm asking this of those who are)

Emperor
Ihsahn
Darkthrone
DragonForce
Cannibal Corpse
Death
Celtic Frost
Anaal Nathrakh
Woe of Tyrants
Beyond Creation
Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Slayer

Most of these bands are pretty good (Dragonforce sticks out like a sore thumb in a bad way though) and you would probably dig Arcturus.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Emperor
Ihsahn
Darkthrone
DragonForce
Cannibal Corpse
Death
Celtic Frost
Anaal Nathrakh
Woe of Tyrants
Beyond Creation
Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Slayer

You're well on your way to being TRVE. Replace Finntroll with Thyrfing and Dragonforce with Sabaton.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Scrambles posted:

could you explain to the class what you mean by "better" in this context?

I mean whatever you would think is a better choice in music.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most of these bands are pretty good (Dragonforce sticks out like a sore thumb in a bad way though) and you would probably dig Arcturus.
What's the problem with DragonForce? They're entertaining as hell live, and I dig the cheezyness. I understand they stand out from the list in that they're a different style. Is it the style of metal that's bad, or are they a bad example of that particular style? Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely check out Arcturus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

B33rChiller posted:

Emperor
Ihsahn
Darkthrone
DragonForce
Cannibal Corpse
Death
Celtic Frost
Anaal Nathrakh
Woe of Tyrants
Beyond Creation
Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Slayer
This is like the opposite of good music discussion. "Here's a band, tell me what's bad about it and I'll get defensive"? gently caress off dude