Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If it's true then I'm glad to see the "kill your superiors and no one cares because I guess you consolidated power offscreen" trope is alive and well for the second episode in a row!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Azazell0 posted:

You don't suppose it's possible that GRRM is a huge troll and gave D&D a totally different ending than he plans on making?

no, his ending is gonna be poo poo.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

this_is_hard posted:

If its true, the "Ramsay gets a gift" from the ep2 description is Walda having a son

Doesn't that even make sense from a timeline PoV? I reckon that they only announced her pregnancy last season when they had that really awkward dinner with Sansa and Ramsay and I don't see how 5-6 month (given that they don't have pregnancy tests I give them up to 4 month until they noticed/announced the pregnancy) have passed since then.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

GaussianCopula posted:

Doesn't that even make sense from a timeline PoV? I reckon that they only announced her pregnancy last season when they had that really awkward dinner with Sansa and Ramsay and I don't see how 5-6 month (given that they don't have pregnancy tests I give them up to 4 month until they noticed/announced the pregnancy) have passed since then.

In a show with Gilly's eternal baby, anything's possible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Linguica posted:

If it's true then I'm glad to see the "kill your superiors and no one cares because I guess you consolidated power offscreen" trope is alive and well for the second episode in a row!!

not only that but kinslaying is the second worst thing you can do. then again the loving show has gone two whole seasons without showing any repercussions for two houses doing the worst thing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

MrSlam posted:

I refuse to believe Ramsay kills Roose. He's such a jobber.
Seriously this is the dumbest poo poo.

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm surprised she didn't notice she was pregnant while giving birth on the privvy. she fat lol

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Azazell0 posted:

You don't suppose it's possible that GRRM is a huge troll and gave D&D a totally different ending than he plans on making?

Yes, I think he gave them an ending.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Linguica posted:

It sort of makes sense with Ramsay in that he was naturalised and made into Roose's official heir.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Looks like the show is building up Ramsay as this big super villain to make episode 9, when the resurrected John Snow slays him, even more satisfying for the common people.

LemonDrizzle posted:

It sort of makes sense with Ramsay in that he was naturalised and made into Roose's official heir.

Except for the part where he just killed the daughter of his last remaining ally (the Freys) outside the North and I'm not so sure how the Northern houses that allied with the Boltons would realistically react to the fact that they are no longer dealing with the calculated chessmaster Roose but with his psychopathic bastard son, who at best has a claim on the Bolton lands (if you consider Tommen the rightful ruler). As the title of "Warden of the North" is not hereditary this would be a great opportunity for every other Northern house to go "gently caress the Boltons" and support pretty much anyone else as the new power in the North.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 30, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

GaussianCopula posted:

Looks like the show is building up Ramsay as this big super villain to make episode 9, when the resurrected John Snow slays him, even more satisfying for the common people.

It'll be about as satisfying as when the rear end in a top hat obnoxious partying fratboys from every horror movie made in the past fifteen years gets killed in a spooky music sting jumpcut.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah, I don't think Ramsay has the shock appeal anymore. From my show watching friends it's more apathy and "oh, what horrible thing will he do next without any negative consequence"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This is the dumbest poo poo, except for maybe Dorne.

Is like anybody can kill a ruler and automatically gets his place. Ramsay would at most get the Bolton lands and maybe not even that, as is a bit unlikely that Roose court would just accept that poo poo that easily

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ep sounds cool and good

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I hope this one is fake but I'm probably in denial.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
All you have I gave you. You would do well to remember that, bastard. As for this … Reek … if you have not ruined him beyond redemption, he may yet be of some use to us. Get the keys and remove those chains from him, before you make me rue the day I hugged your mother.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ague Proof posted:

I hope this one is fake but I'm probably in denial.

Is just too dumb to not be true

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Roose Bolton) who has been established to be the scariest and craftiest guy in the North? The one who openly betrayed and murdered Robb Stark and then married Sansa to his murderous kid, and who constantly switches allegiances to gain advantage and consolidate his power?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, 'doesn't it make sense that he would be let himself be stabbed like a bitch by his psychopathic son, who would then go on to kill his wife and newborn son, and no one would mind all this kinslaying, because Ramsay can get away with anything and no one cares?' You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

Linguica fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 30, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is just too dumb to not be true

Yeah, I think that's exactly what we are going to get.

If all of that is true, then Theon is in such a weird place right now. His situation in the books was actually pretty interesting, but as it is now I guess he just kinda peaces out and does . . . something?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Apoplexy posted:

Episode 2 synopsis, straight from a Google translation of a third-hand accounting of a non-English-speaker's recollections of events.

This process was good enough for the Illiad, so it's good enough for an episode synopsis. :colbert:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I've really liked show's Ramsay. The actor nailed it completely and the character was introduced in a very interesting way.

Then it becomes a loving cartoon supervillain

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I liked that one fan theory where Roose is an immortal vampire and Ramsay's destiny is getting the Buffalo Bill treatment. In my head, that's what happens. No matter what.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why would all of the North bannermen who Roose won over remain aligned with Ramsey? The real answer is they wouldn't but this show is retarded.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

GaussianCopula posted:

Except for the part where he just killed the daughter of his last remaining ally (the Freys) outside the North and I'm not so sure how the Northern houses that allied with the Boltons would realistically react to the fact that they are no longer dealing with the calculated chessmaster Roose but with his psychopathic bastard son, who at best has a claim on the Bolton lands (if you consider Tommen the rightful ruler). As the title of "Warden of the North" is not hereditary this would be a great opportunity for every other Northern house to go "gently caress the Boltons" and support pretty much anyone else as the new power in the North.

But Roose isn't a super infallible genius, either here or in the books. He's made the same incredibly stupid mistakes in the book of legitimizing his murder happy bastard son who he knows has killed his sibling before, and then implying that said son could be replaced. Nobody is immortal and if Roose was half as intelligent as fandom gives him credit for he should have gotten rid of Ramsey long ago.

And here's how Ramsey keeps Winterfell in line: do as I say or I will kill you in an extremely unpleasant manner. A social contract with strong historical basis.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Welp, I guess we all know how the books will differ from the series now! (Roose isn't a skinchanger in the show)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Accretionist posted:

I liked that one fan theory where Roose is an immortal vampire and Ramsay's destiny is getting the Buffalo Bill treatment. In my head, that's what happens. No matter what.

On Walda: WAS SHE A GREAT BIG FAT PERSON?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Subvisual Haze posted:

But Roose isn't a super infallible genius, either here or in the books. He's made the same incredibly stupid mistakes in the book of legitimizing his murder happy bastard son who he knows has killed his sibling before, and then implying that said son could be replaced. Nobody is immortal and if Roose was half as intelligent as fandom gives him credit for he should have gotten rid of Ramsey long ago.

And here's how Ramsey keeps Winterfell in line: do as I say or I will kill you in an extremely unpleasant manner. A social contract with strong historical basis.

Doesn't Roose say he would have if he wasn't against killing family? Like he even admits Ramsay hosed everything up for him in the long run.

iSqueezeCats
Jan 1, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

That's just Winterfell though. The show wasn't doing a good job of it, but by this time Roose's army should have Karstarks, Freys, and Umbers in it, along with others I don't remember. Instead we've only seen the Bolton soldiers with those stupid pots on their head

It would be pretty obnoxious plot armor if everyone just meekly accepted the rabid psycho who has a really lovely claim on Winterfell.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Basically he made an allusion to liking Ramsay's eyes more than anything. BOLT-ON!!!!

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why would all of the North bannermen who Roose won over remain aligned with Ramsey? The real answer is they wouldn't but this show is retarded.

Because he flayed the last lord (Cerwyn) who tried to stand up to him. And obviously, at least in the books, they don't put up with it for long. Hell Show Roose even told him that the northern lords won't put up with it.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 30, 2016

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

iSqueezeCats posted:

That's just Winterfell though. The show wasn't doing a good job of it, but by this time Roose's army should have Karstarks, Freys, and Umbers in it, along with others I don't remember. Instead we've only seen the Bolton soldiers with those stupid pots on their head

It would be pretty obnoxious plot armor if everyone just meekly accepted the rabid psycho who has a really lovely claim on Winterfell.

Well he's a crazy person, not an exceptional political planner. Also he could just continue doing what Roose did in ADWD with the Manderlys and Umbers, hold an important member of their family hostage to force the rest of the family to fall in line.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

bobjr posted:

Doesn't Roose say he would have if he wasn't against killing family? Like he even admits Ramsay hosed everything up for him in the long run.

Nah, he just tells Reek that he knows that Ramsay will kill all his future sons and even comments that it's probably for the best, because "boylords are the bane of any house". He also comments on the idea that Ramsay would need leeches to suck away his "bad blood" but that his blood might be so tainted that leeches won't work, which might be an allusion to the idea that Roose plans to tutor Ramsay, with whom he had little to no contact before the war, to become a proper Bolton following his wedding to fake Arya. More important, book Roose does not continually taunt/threaten Ramsay with the prospect of another child.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Because he flayed the last lord (Cerwyn) who tried to stand up to him. And obviously, at least in the books, they don't put up with it for long. Hell Show Roose even told him that the northern lords won't put up with it.

It takes one stab in the back and the House Bolton ceases to exist and with it every prospect of the perpetrator getting punished. At this point it should be very obvious for every man in the Bolton camp, that Winterfell is becoming a deathtrap for them, and they should just take a stab at it and get richly rewarded by the first lord that reaches Winterfell.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sounds like a solid episode, imo.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sounds like a solid episode, imo.

Same

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I remember when Ramsay was a never explained undercover Iron Islander, what was the consensus fanfic rationalization for that?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

savinhill posted:

I remember when Ramsay was a never explained undercover Iron Islander, what was the consensus fanfic rationalization for that?

What? That never happened in the show. In the show the Iron Islanders are told that if they give up Theon and surrender they will be allowed to return to the Iron Isles, Ramsay naturally butchers them anyway but he never poses as Reek or an Iron Islander except when loving with Theon in season 3.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Ramsay passing off his patricide as assassination by the enemies of House Bolton is maybe not completely stupid, depending how they execute it.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

Nah, he just tells Reek that he knows that Ramsay will kill all his future sons and even comments that it's probably for the best, because "boylords are the bane of any house". He also comments on the idea that Ramsay would need leeches to suck away his "bad blood" but that his blood might be so tainted that leeches won't work, which might be an allusion to the idea that Roose plans to tutor Ramsay, with whom he had little to no contact before the war, to become a proper Bolton following his wedding to fake Arya. More important, book Roose does not continually taunt/threaten Ramsay with the prospect of another child.

It takes one stab in the back and the House Bolton ceases to exist and with it every prospect of the perpetrator getting punished. At this point it should be very obvious for every man in the Bolton camp, that Winterfell is becoming a deathtrap for them, and they should just take a stab at it and get richly rewarded by the first lord that reaches Winterfell.

Roose is very aware of how tenuous is hold is. Ramsay is not the genius he thinks he is, and his actions will continue to alienate any potential supporter, but he thinks ruling by fear will control. Really the only aspect of it that I'm concerned about is how they manage to deal with the Umber/Gift thing.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

bobjr posted:

quote:

Ramsay killed him. A sickness of the bowels, Maester Uthor says, but I say poison. In the Vale, Domeric had enjoyed the company of Redfort’s sons. He wanted a brother by his side, so he rode up the Weeping Water to seek my bastard out. I forbade it, but Domeric was a man grown and thought that he knew better than his father. Now his bones lie beneath the Dreadfort with the bones of his brothers, who died still in the cradle, and I am left with Ramsay. Tell me, my lord … if the kinslayer is accursed, what is a father to do when one son slays another?

He tells Theon that Ramsay is his last and only choice, that a child-lord would be the ruin of his house even if he were to get fat Walda pregnant, so he's just trying to make do with what he has.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What? That never happened in the show. In the show the Iron Islanders are told that if they give up Theon and surrender they will be allowed to return to the Iron Isles, Ramsay naturally butchers them anyway but he never poses as Reek or an Iron Islander except when loving with Theon in season 3.

Am I getting fan speculation mixed up with the actual show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

savinhill posted:

Am I getting fan speculation mixed up with the actual show?

I think that was when Ramsay pretended to be a sweeper that helped Theon escape from his cell and torture only for long enough to be told about Bran and Rickon and then brought him right back.

• Locked thread