Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Nanomashoes posted:

Why would he purposefully put himself in a disadvantageous position?
Before you say it's the same for the host, remember that the host has a numbers, health, and estus advantage. Progressing through the level makes them about even.

"but but but the entire world is against the host and its summons" :v:

Invade, run to bossfog, host and summons are there, they run the gently caress away from me to the bonfire and shield-wave motioning to get me to come on in and die. How about s my d. 15 minutes later the summons left.

Wolfbroed, was sent back the moment I spawn because the pussy force-closed the game and came one step closer to a soft-ban.

Not bad for 20 minutes of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Someone should let mr.mitsubishi know that you can't hit someone several times with the same spear jab no matter how hard you stab.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nakar posted:

That's not so much what annoys me as the godawful hit detection meaning that anyone who focuses on just sprinting all over the place is unhittable. Had a situation where I invaded as the second phantom for a 2v4 and the two of us killed all the host's phantoms but somehow none of our attacks could even briefly stun the sprinting-all-over host. This continued for about a minute straight whereupon by spamming accept he managed to resummon the same two loving phantoms we just killed.

Like how the gently caress am I supposed to do anything if me and another guy cornering the host can't stop him from just rushing through our swings and summoning without even stopping, and if he can just spawn fresh phantoms -- or the same people -- to replace the ones we killed then what's even the point of killing them?

get Gundyr's halberd and become
T H E C H A M P
H
E
C
H
A
M
P

The l2 on that thing outranges an entire stamina bar's worth of rolls and has dark souls 2 boss level tracking. If you're a dex guy like me you can use the washing pole's dash attack as a substitute, once you get used to the timing you can poke them as they come out of the roll for the kill.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Invade, run to bossfog, host and summons are there, they run the gently caress away from me to the bonfire and shield-wave motioning to get me to come on in and die. How about s my d. 15 minutes later the summons left.

Wolfbroed, was sent back the moment I spawn because the pussy force-closed the game and came one step closer to a soft-ban.

Not bad for 20 minutes of work.

lol

In real news did regulation 1.06 do anything at all to sorcery?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mehrunes posted:

lol

Buffed it some apparently.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mehrunes posted:

lol

Initially people thought it nerfed a couple things but it turned out to just be hearsay, I don't think anybody knows for sure what changed. From's patch notes leave a lot to be desired.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'd probably play DS3's PvP if not for the lag. But in a game where it's literally all about timing, there's just no way to work with it. I don't know why they can't do whatever fighting games do to make them playable online.

Japan is roughly about the size of California & Oregon, they barely have any lag there and they don't give a poo poo about gaijin

American and European game devs will go to more trouble to try to fix this stuff up because they have to serve a much larger landmass

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Invading in this game is a crapshoot and the host should basically never lose if he knows what he's doing but once you put 50-100 hours into invasions your brain breaks and you realize that nobody actually knows how to play this game, only you, and you no longer see the game you're in the matrix killing 100 clones of smith without getting hit but they're summoned phantoms instead.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Fuckstick A-OK, but 'Nig' in Knight is verboten! It's like the Japanese try to filter the profanity they think Americans will use.

This is gonna be really pedantic but I'm pretty sure 'Nig' is not actually censored, because the filter doesn't account for capital letters. It's only lowercase. So "Knight" becomes "K***ht", but the classy player "Nig Force One" I invaded isn't censored at all. Similarly, "Fuckstick" begins with a capital F. If they'd typed the name as "fuckstick" it'd be either "****stick" or "*****tick". It's a really halfassed system, much like the cheat detection/bans.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I bet it only works like that because in japanese they use symbols instead of capital and lowercase letters, and capital letters are treated as different symbols.

Rather than change how their censor treats characters they just put a half assed list of lower case bad words in and call it a day.

Which in itself is probably just a localization solution that can be defined as 'understandable', but when it censors out letters from one of your core class names and game concepts (knight) it goes to hilariously inept :allears:

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 1, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The name checker claims "tard" is censored so that guy's name should've been Bas**** K***ght. Guess not.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
My fav is getting invaded by guys in armor of thorns, carthus bloodring, estoc and a bazillion stamina.

What's yours?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

double nine posted:

So is there anything interesting about arstor's spear? I'm trying it out and it's just very 'meh' in every department - moveset, damage. I guess reach but if your target is strafing good luck with that...What am I missing?

It heals you when you kill an enemy. Also it inflicts poison build-up in theory, although I've either never been able to make this work, or the effect is so small you can't even notice it.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Nakar posted:

The name checker claims "tard" is censored so that guy's name should've been Bas**** K***ght. Guess not.

If the name checker is accurate to DS2 behavior, they made it worse coming into DS3, because the name checker ignores case, much like the DS3 name censorship system should but doesn't. (Name checker I found through google claims it should be ******* K***ght, but as I said it ignores case.)

Emy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 1, 2016

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Andrigaar posted:

Two-car elevator like the one at the giant's tower in the Undead Settlement. Hit it and hop off if you already got the slab at the bottom.

Thank you! I am a dumb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I beat Champion Gundyr on the second try. :toot:

I staggered him right at the end and delivered the killing blow to his head, too, which was neat.

I usually take at least half a dozen attempts on any given boss so that was pretty exciting. Give me more rhythm battles like that, please.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
Hey, does anybody have a strategy for dodging King of the Storm's completely gently caress up the camera attack?

I know this is hardly a novel opinion, but KOTS sucks really badly. It should absolutely be counted as a separate fight like Nashandra and Aldia.

There have been five of these and the camera has had basically the same drawbacks in every single one yet they still seem pretty dedicated to showing off its flaws.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wagrid posted:

Hey, does anybody have a strategy for dodging King of the Storm's completely gently caress up the camera attack?

I know this is hardly a novel opinion, but KOTS sucks really badly. It should absolutely be counted as a separate fight like Nashandra and Aldia.

There have been five of these and the camera has had basically the same drawbacks in every single one yet they still seem pretty dedicated to showing off its flaws.

Are you talking about the flame breath attack? He won't do that (or at least will do it very rarely) if you keep yourself right in front of his head at all times. Don't go underneath the main body, and don't try to run far away. Just stay by the head, dodge, and counter attack.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Wagrid posted:

don't lock on? like you're talking about the one where he takes off and flies around, right? does a lightning spear and then a swoop.

yeah just don't lock on and manually track him. It's always the same direction and speed and distance, it's easy.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Just soloed Abyss Watcher for the first time. :asoiaf: loving intense, though I had to die a couple of times to figure him out... Ran out of estus but beat him with ~15% HP left.

The luck/bleed build isn't really working for me. Can't get anyone to bleed. Is it because I infused my uchi with fire to avoid leveling str/dex? Or is it just me not getting enough hits in.

e; Ah, I get it now. Fire Gems also limit bleed scaling.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 1, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nanomashoes posted:

Why would he purposefully put himself in a disadvantageous position?
Before you say it's the same for the host, remember that the host has a numbers, health, and estus advantage. Progressing through the level makes them about even.

Yeah but it's dark souls PvP, you're never guaranteed a fair fight and only a fool would expect one.

MrLonghair posted:

Phantoms that give up on waiting games and abandon their hosts are the best. It's like they're saying "gently caress this wussy, let him die"

The only host behaviour that feels degenerate to me is when they hide inside wolnir's fog door. Either come outside and die to me or fight the drat boss, it's not like he's hard.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Literally every phantom in Pontiff Fight Club that isn't wielding a greatsword and a standard issue I Do The PVP armourset is instantly snatched up :smith:

I'm not a pro PVPmans so I like to fight gimmick builds because it means my gimmick build stands a chance

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

School Nickname posted:

The luck/bleed build isn't really working for me. Can't get anyone to bleed. Is it because I infused my uchi with fire to avoid leveling str/dex? Or is it just me not getting enough hits in.
Infusing can lower the Poison/Bleed buildup of a weapon that already has one. You also want to use Carthus Rouge on your weapon which you can't do with an elementally infused weapon. Just make your weapon Raw or Blood and you should be able to buff it.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you talking about the flame breath attack? He won't do that (or at least will do it very rarely) if you keep yourself right in front of his head at all times. Don't go underneath the main body, and don't try to run far away. Just stay by the head, dodge, and counter attack.

Mazerunner posted:

don't lock on? like you're talking about the one where he takes off and flies around, right? does a lightning spear and then a swoop.

yeah just don't lock on and manually track him. It's always the same direction and speed and distance, it's easy.

I was in fact not talking about any of his actual attacks and was making a joke about how lovely the camera is. I can dodge both of these attacks just fine. The latter is actually like the one cool thing he does!

Also, re: the flame breath attack: what the game considers to be 'under the body' doesn't correlate super closely to his actual physical body.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can I respec now, without Sirris being pissed off??? I want to become a purple guy later on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont you love all these youtube videos with high production values (relative) that offer absolutely no valuable information? "Best soul farming locations" "stand up and let the darkwraiths kill things before abyss watchers" wow, amazing. And people will eat this poo poo up.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does lingering dragoncrest ring work on resins or coins?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

codo27 posted:

Dont you love all these youtube videos with high production values (relative) that offer absolutely no valuable information? "Best soul farming locations" "stand up and let the darkwraiths kill things before abyss watchers" wow, amazing. And people will eat this poo poo up.

I like the recent VaatiVidya ones where he just pretty much verbatim repeats some popular reddit topics and finishes by rambling on about how he spends hundreds of dollars on his videos.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Nakar posted:

Infusing can lower the Poison/Bleed buildup of a weapon that already has one. You also want to use Carthus Rouge on your weapon which you can't do with an elementally infused weapon. Just make your weapon Raw or Blood and you should be able to buff it.

Thanks, I'll stick with fire until I get the profaned coal. I want to solo the game sub-L85 if at all possible.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I like the recent VaatiVidya ones where he just pretty much verbatim repeats some popular reddit topics and finishes by rambling on about how he spends hundreds of dollars on his videos.

that is all of his videos, not just recent ones

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

They also censor 'ead' because I'm guessing it's an abbreviation for something? (eat a dick? I dunno) Saw a player named Chosen Und*** the other day.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So these red/blue spirits can just invade one after the other? No respite between them? Lame. :colbert:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

NTT posted:

I bet it only works like that because in japanese they use symbols instead of capital and lowercase letters, and capital letters are treated as different symbols.

Rather than change how their censor treats characters they just put a half assed list of lower case bad words in and call it a day.

Which in itself is probably just a localization solution that can be defined as 'understandable', but when it censors out letters from one of your core class names and game concepts (knight) it goes to hilariously inept :allears:

japanese has something very similar to capital letters so this would make no sense just fyi

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They should do something extra to make the Blue Sentinels good

Like, WotB people should have cracked blue eyes, using it summons a Sentinel into your world to help you take out a boss or invader, and they'd get their reward for it. Maybe you'd have to fight a hollowed Targray to get a full blue eye orb

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Man I sure would like to play dorksouls, but its still crashing when i wake up at the bonfire before the swamp.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I seen a phantom yesterday named Ashen Larry and lost my poo poo

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Just got the "kids like you shouldn't be allowed in these games" line.

PVP is the best.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BobTheJanitor posted:

They also censor 'ead' because I'm guessing it's an abbreviation for something? (eat a dick? I dunno) Saw a player named Chosen Und*** the other day.

Because of the K***ht thing I can't help but read *** as nig, so maybe his name was Chosen Undnig :downs:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Szcwczuk posted:

Just got the "kids like you shouldn't be allowed in these games" line.

PVP is the best.

In the long term I play more time in pvp and invading than I will in the pve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

ElBrak posted:

Man I sure would like to play dorksouls, but its still crashing when i wake up at the bonfire before the swamp.

Some really basic steps:

- Verify the game using steam
- check for video and direct x drivers
- try running dark souls as admin
- Try running in windowed mode

Some really not so basic steps:

- check event viewer and read the crash dump for dark souls 3
- disable your security software