Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

maxmandude posted:

To be fair, Caphi overblows problems in games all the time(Like Tales of Zestria).

Curious how you got from "in Tales of Zestiria" to "all the time."

Never mind that my position on Star Ocean 5 was "here are the things I'm having a problem with, and this is the point where they got too much for me." I've tried to make those complaints qualitative so you can take them however gravely you want. Which is actually also my position on Zestiria, except that I have more serious problems with the plot than most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

RPG Thread, it is conceivable some of you have never played The World Ends With You before.

Go play it.

Amazingly I feel the style it oozes still holds up ten years later, and I'm having as much fun playing it again today as I did when it first came out.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

voltcatfish posted:

RPG Thread, it is conceivable some of you have never played The World Ends With You before.

Go play it.

Amazingly I feel the style it oozes still holds up ten years later, and I'm having as much fun playing it again today as I did when it first came out.

I played that game like three times back when and you're still making me want to play it again. I think it has my favorite hard mode(s?) in any video game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

voltcatfish posted:

Go play it.

Speaking of TWEWY, anyone know if the iOS port is any good?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ventana posted:

Speaking of TWEWY, anyone know if the iOS port is any good?

It's good until an update inevitably breaks it for several months at a time.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Levantine posted:

Labyrinth is fine if you just really want to play some more Wizardry, but it's budget as gently caress compared to Tales of the Forsaken Land. I guess there was a sequel to that but it never got localized and that's a real shame. TotFL is one of my favorite games of the PS2 generation, let alone Wizardry.

The sequel (actually prequel) is Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo and it's better in every way to TotFL (Busin 1). Tons more content, a much better spell making system, a great bonus dungeon, and a dark and creepy storyline.

It also has the best NPC ever, Yoppen:

This fat neckbeard is the most self-aware NPC ever and a direct jab at fat greasy otaku nerds. He's a weird pervert who abhors real women in favor of monster women, which he has a weird fetish for. He spends most of his time running around in the dungeon wearing an orc suit so that he can get closer to female monsters. There's a whole series of optional quests he sends you on that related to gathering information on Pixies and the like that just serve to making him look more and more pathetic. His quest line culminates in him hiring you to capture a succubus to feed on him and drain his life--and when you do, she's so utterly repulsed by him that she screams and absolutely refuses to touch him. Eventually he can even join your party but he's a completely worthless piece of garbage.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

voltcatfish posted:

Go play it.

I didn't care for it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Genpei Turtle posted:

The sequel (actually prequel) is Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo and it's better in every way to TotFL (Busin 1). Tons more content, a much better spell making system, a great bonus dungeon, and a dark and creepy storyline.

It also has the best NPC ever, Yoppen:

This fat neckbeard is the most self-aware NPC ever and a direct jab at fat greasy otaku nerds. He's a weird pervert who abhors real women in favor of monster women, which he has a weird fetish for. He spends most of his time running around in the dungeon wearing an orc suit so that he can get closer to female monsters. There's a whole series of optional quests he sends you on that related to gathering information on Pixies and the like that just serve to making him look more and more pathetic. His quest line culminates in him hiring you to capture a succubus to feed on him and drain his life--and when you do, she's so utterly repulsed by him that she screams and absolutely refuses to touch him. Eventually he can even join your party but he's a completely worthless piece of garbage.

Goddamn it, I want to play that game so bad :argh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I did not give permission for them to use my likeness

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can I play Trails of Cold Steel without having beaten TitS1 or 2?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Yeah. You'll miss out on some context like recognizing who is or isn't a returning character and having previous familiarity with terms like "Bracer Guild", but Cold Steel is a Falcom Approved entry point.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Verranicus posted:

i get the feeling this is why you're asking, but if not the special edition is on sale at gamestop for $36, which i think is the same or a little cheaper than the standard in the states FYI

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think the idea is that you can start from any of the Trails series' beginnings. So Sky FC, or Cold Steel 1, or whatever the third one is. And then if you feel like it you can play the others to see what the rest of the world is like.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I had tried to play FC, found it too slow, quit after the first hour because I had more immediate games to play, then played Cold Steel and got riotously hooked. The world isn't diminished at all if you start there, and now I have to fish out and play FC/SC sometime.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

voltcatfish posted:

Go play it.

I liked it but I was annoyed by it too. Most of the time I was playing it I felt like I wasn't playing it properly, because the dual screen battle thing seemed impossible and every shop I went to seemed to have stuff in it that was impossible to get. I was probably just doing it wrong but normally I'm very good at games, TWEWY just didn't click with me I guess.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I managed to get through the game (and postgame!) by just mashing the control pad and only concentrating my attention on the bottom screen, though it's been like 7 or 8 years since I've touched the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Verranicus posted:

Cold Steel will spoil plot points from TitS 1 and 2 in passing, because they are apart of larger events going on in the world. It's not a dealbreaker, just something to be aware of if you ever decide to go back and play them. Cold Steel is a great game to start with though - it might be hard to go back just due to all the QoL improvements.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Apparently, the writing and scenarios in the Valkyrie Profile mobile game are actually a lot like VP1. All the Einherjar are unlocked through the story, and the Gacha elements are limited to weapons. It's a prequel to VP1.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is it worth getting the Plus version of Escha & Logy if I haven't played the PS3 version yet?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr E posted:

Is it worth getting the Plus version of Escha & Logy if I haven't played the PS3 version yet?

it has some improvements over the original, so yes

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Terper posted:

Apparently, the writing and scenarios in the Valkyrie Profile mobile game are actually a lot like VP1. All the Einherjar are unlocked through the story, and the Gacha elements are limited to weapons. It's a prequel to VP1.

But is it a free to play game saddled with a stamina meter?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mr E posted:

Yeah, it includes the DLC (characters, dungeons, etc), some quality of life improvements w/party management/friendship, extra costumes, & (I think) extra scenes? You get a choice of whether you want the main characters to like or like like each other anyway

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/726488810511454208

There's a closed beta for Stranger of Sword City PC and they're looking for volunteers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

HGH posted:

https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/726488810511454208

There's a closed beta for Stranger of Sword City PC and they're looking for volunteers.

Neat, thanks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's looking like the Plus version of Atelier Ayesha lags on PSTV and also isn't on sale right now - guessing I should go with the PS3 version for that?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mr E posted:

It's looking like the Plus version of Atelier Ayesha lags on PSTV and also isn't on sale right now - guessing I should go with the PS3 version for that?

I haven't played through the Plus version yet but you can see the additional stuff here http://www.ateliergames.eu/ayeshaplus/add_01.html and see which you'd rather go for

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, one thing I get really often in JRPGs and not elsewhere are the endings which involve the entire culmination of your actions over the game coming together for a big bombastic blast of friendship to beat the final boss or whatever.

And you know, I never get tired of those for some reason. Give me an ending where i see all the towns I visited praying for my success or something and I'll like your ending regardless of how lovely it is otherwise.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the reason that the power of friendship appears so often is because it is loving awesome

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ImpAtom posted:

You know, one thing I get really often in JRPGs and not elsewhere are the endings which involve the entire culmination of your actions over the game coming together for a big bombastic blast of friendship to beat the final boss or whatever.

And you know, I never get tired of those for some reason. Give me an ending where i see all the towns I visited praying for my success or something and I'll like your ending regardless of how lovely it is otherwise.

Wild Arms 2 did that really well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've been meaning to play Arc the Lad I+II, which is really just one long game. How grindy is it? Is it really easy to miss stuff? Why is the rest of the series not so regarded?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've been meaning to play Arc the Lad I+II, which is really just one long game. How grindy is it? Is it really easy to miss stuff? Why is the rest of the series not so regarded?

Arc the Lad isn't really hard but it has some really wonky balance, especially the first where your characters will get wildly out of sync on level just due to how leveling works. The second game likewise is basically down to "this character is broken as hell" and "this characters is kinda worthless."

Most of the rest of the games aren't bad so much as they're kinda wonky. Even Arc 1 and 2 are though but 1 and 2 at least have the feel of finishing a big overarching story which III onward don't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only Arc game I've played is one of the PS2 ones because none of the others got released here. I remember it being okay until one battle that was about 12 times harder than anything else up to then.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That's always great when it happens, especially when the final phase of the last boss has a remix of the opening theme or something.

TurnipFritter posted:

Wild Arms 2 did that really well.

And that's exactly what I was going to bring up too. :respek: And speaking of which, going back to listen to the OPs, it's mind boggling how much better the US versions are.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Have you played SMTIV Final yet? Because one of the entire routes through the game is pretty much exactly this. Beating the big bad with the power of friendship. And smack talk.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Arc the Lad isn't really hard but it has some really wonky balance, especially the first where your characters will get wildly out of sync on level just due to how leveling works. The second game likewise is basically down to "this character is broken as hell" and "this characters is kinda worthless."

Most of the rest of the games aren't bad so much as they're kinda wonky. Even Arc 1 and 2 are though but 1 and 2 at least have the feel of finishing a big overarching story which III onward don't.

I actually thought 3 was the best of the bunch. PSX-era sprites on par with Xenogears and a much better story/battle system than 1+2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Have you played SMTIV Final yet? Because one of the entire routes through the game is pretty much exactly this. Beating the big bad with the power of friendship. And smack talk.

Not yet, I'm waiting for the English version, but I am extremely glad to hear that.

Verranicus posted:

I actually thought 3 was the best of the bunch. PSX-era sprites on par with Xenogears and a much better story/battle system than 1+2.

I found 3's original cast really boring honestly and mostly enjoyed the return of the Arc 1/2 characters which may impact that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Verranicus posted:

I really enjoyed 3 as well, but it was kind of dragged down for me that the narrative was basically just "you're a hunter and you do jobs" until the end of the game.

ImpAtom posted:

I found 3's original cast really boring honestly and mostly enjoyed the return of the Arc 1/2 characters which may impact that.

It helped that they were really powerful too. I'm a sucker for the "Older versions of returning characters" thing though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I really think III was where that franchise lost me, because after you pretty definitely wrap things up in II and it has a decent hook (this is what the world looks like after the apocalyptic ending of II) - it decides to go "NUH UH YOU DIDN'T REALLY BEAT THE BAD GUY AND THIS NEW KID IS THE ACTUAL LEGENDARY HERO".

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's because even if the power of friendship is cliche, it still manages to be kind of believable if the cast is likable and you connect with them well. I generally prefer JRPGs over WRPGs because of this too, since in WRPGs the protagonist is usually the center of the universe and the villain is usually only beaten because the protagonist is just that awesome or found a Deus Ex Machina that only the protagonist can use and the rest of your party don't really play that huge a role in beating the main villain besides act as support.

I guess to put it another way, bad JRPGs are usually bad otaku masturbation fantasies but good JRPGs focus on the journey and interactions with the various NPCs and members of your party that the payoff feels worthwhile, but even the best WRPGs seem to fall victim to the main character being super important and deciding the fate of the world or the politics of a region and tend to act as power fantasies for the player. As much as I love New Vegas, I still don't get why the Courier was deemed important enough to decide who wins Hoover Dam other than he was just (un)lucky to be carrying the platinum chip, for example.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Courier, like the Bhaalspawn and the Watcher, has to be the centre of the universe because in a number of WRPGs your allies are completely optional and you can complete the game solo. Though that gives me the idea for a story-driven RPG where you can go out of your way to avoid people and still finish the game. You could finish Alpha Protocol without once ever meeting SIE and the plot still made sense. Maybe a game could give you the option to achieve your goals while leaving the cast in the dark to your existence.

What Japanese developer out there makes RPGs that aren't cringe-inducing spank fodder starring under-dressed teenagers, but do spend a buck on localization? Falcom is one and From Software is another.