Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Jack Trades posted:

Fat ugly and socially retarded neckbeards with slight psychopathic tendencies, like me, love playing a crazy, sexy and charismatic character, like Vega.

this, but even more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Nonsense, her matchup against zangief and Vega is outstanding.

Using clawless really helps in that match-up by the way.

Evil Canadian posted:

Seriously loving stop using Claw on Vega. If you think Vega is bad its because you are using the claw. No claw vega has huge damage output, is plus on everything, still has good range, and the walkspeed to make all that pressure work.

Claw is for vs zangief, and finishing the match once one or two more hits will end it, that's basically it. I know the claw is supposed to be the defining thing and all but just forget he has it.

You're probably totally right, I just...want to go back to poking people to death.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Stefan Prodan posted:

My wife and I play together a lot and she's like completely new to fighting games and she's switching from Ryu to Ken because she loves to ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK I guess, I know there's like a billion resources about Ryu because he's the go to newbie guy, are there any good detailed videos/guides for Ken? She has the SF5god one bookmarked but like I know one guy has those 90 min character guides with everyone but there's none for Ken :(

(I think she's already seen the Momochi one too)

Ken is pretty average in this game at best and a shoto that people hate since SFIV where every casual low rank online was picking him, that's probably why there is no guides for him (also Capcom apparently hates him because of that terrifying character select model.) Even as a casual player I wouldn't recommend Ken for a total beginner in SFV because at the end of the day you still have to learn Ryu to learn Ken and in that order imho. If you're learning to use a shoto and pick Ken, you'll just end up playing him like Ryu, in which case you're just playing a bad Ryu and his style is really different. As with all mediocre characters in any fighter, getting even the smallest amount of success can be pretty demanding and perhaps too much for someone without much experience, while with a character like Ryu the simplest things will take you far and the simple things is what you want to master first.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Charge newbie question
I get thrown all the time cause they know im chargin. How do i mix it up?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you know you don't lose charge if you press buttons right

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Jack Trades posted:

Using clawless really helps in that match-up by the way.

You're probably totally right, I just...want to go back to poking people to death.

If you wanna poke the night away, Chun, Birdie and Karin are all great picks.

*edit*

And clawless isn't bad for pokes either, st.mp has some decent range on it and is is quite quick at 6 frames, on top of being special cancelable.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 1, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pomp posted:

you know you don't lose charge if you press buttons right

Lol ok thanks

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Ken is pretty average in this game at best and a shoto that people hate since SFIV where every casual low rank online was picking him, that's probably why there is no guides for him (also Capcom apparently hates him because of that terrifying character select model.) Even as a casual player I wouldn't recommend Ken for a total beginner in SFV because at the end of the day you still have to learn Ryu to learn Ken and in that order imho. If you're learning to use a shoto and pick Ken, you'll just end up playing him like Ryu, in which case you're just playing a bad Ryu and his style is really different. As with all mediocre characters in any fighter, getting even the smallest amount of success can be pretty demanding and perhaps too much for someone without much experience, while with a character like Ryu the simplest things will take you far and the simple things is what you want to master first.

Ok, what's the deal with Ken? He's the one character I see oscillate wildly in terms of rankings. I mean I find him to be pretty fun in this game, but opinion on him shifts all the time in terms of how effective he is. What gives?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

cloofish posted:

Ok, what's the deal with Ken? He's the one character I see oscillate wildly in terms of rankings. I mean I find him to be pretty fun in this game, but opinion on him shifts all the time in terms of how effective he is. What gives?

Infiltration explains it pretty well in this section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVUTiy57VVc&t=642s

Some things he doesn't cover: his low confirms aren't bad but not great either, he generally needs super or vtrigger to make you respect his low options. Characters like Necalli and Chun both have safe, effective ways to conserve momentum off low hits that doesn't involve a point blank cr.LK. This sounds really specific but this is a really common scenario for midscreen pressure, and if your lows aren't scary enough midscreen people will hold back on you a lot and walk right out of your offense. This leaves Ken with mostly options that either 1. Reset you back to neutral or 2. Risk overextending by doing stuff like dash/VSkill/sweep to keep his momentum.

Like, despite his flaws he's still really good, but the most you can push him towards is A tier IMO. Anyone who puts Ken higher is crazy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So people under RQ cooldown can still play Casual.
Let me get this straight, Capcom. Instead of removing ragequitters from Ranked, you spread them out between Ranked and Casual, so now I can't even stick to Casual if I want to avoid them?
Great job.

Evil Canadian posted:

And clawless isn't bad for pokes either, st.mp has some decent range on it and is is quite quick at 6 frames, on top of being special cancelable.

I just tried playing a few matches 100% clawless and sadly, it worked very well. I didn't even notice any practical reduction in my range and f.hp was always useless anyways.
*sigh*
Vega, what did they do to you.

Evil Canadian posted:

If you wanna poke the night away, Chun, Birdie and Karin are all great picks.

I tried both of them out but Chun and Karin are way too difficult to play with my level of execution and Birdie is just sooooo slooow.
The reason why I loved Vega so much in SF4 was because his buttons were insane AND he had the movespeed that allowed me to stand exactly where I wanted for those buttons to work properly. And also rolls were safe.
I was basically chipping away at my opponents with rolls, buttons, anti-airs and punishes with occasional surprise switches into pressure with things like max-range Cosmic Heel.
And now Capcom took everything away from him. :/

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 1, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

apple posted:

Infiltration explains it pretty well in this section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVUTiy57VVc&t=642s

Some things he doesn't cover: his low confirms aren't bad but not great either, he generally needs super or vtrigger to make you respect his low options. Characters like Necalli and Chun both have safe, effective ways to conserve momentum off low hits that doesn't involve a point blank cr.LK. This sounds really specific but this is a really common scenario for midscreen pressure, and if your lows aren't scary enough midscreen people will hold back on you a lot and walk right out of your offense. This leaves Ken with mostly options that either 1. Reset you back to neutral or 2. Risk overextending by doing stuff like dash/VSkill/sweep to keep his momentum.

Like, despite his flaws he's still really good, but the most you can push him towards is A tier IMO. Anyone who puts Ken higher is crazy.

Thanks, great info all around. I've only just started trying to become actually good so it's good to know I'm not pursuing a lost cause. What would be the top tier, in your opinion?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

She just really finds Ken fun and is playing for fun so I mean I think there is 0% chance she is going to play anyone else

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Stefan Prodan posted:

She just really finds Ken fun and is playing for fun so I mean I think there is 0% chance she is going to play anyone else

it doesn't matter, just play whoever is fun. you and her arent now and likely never will be good enough for 99% of this finger puzzle bullshit to apply to you or be applied by you anyway

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Zand posted:

it doesn't matter, just play whoever is fun. you and her arent now and likely never will be good enough for 99% of this finger puzzle bullshit to apply to you or be applied by you anyway

Yeah nope, just was wondering if there were good Ken materials out there, sounds like there aren't that many at the moment?

apple
May 18, 2003

I think bebaloorpabopalo knows a good guide for the "Ken Howitzer"

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah nope, just was wondering if there were good Ken materials out there, sounds like there aren't that many at the moment?
none that are applicable to your situation. maybe the howitzer like apple suggested, but this technique is very dangerous.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
As far as I know these guys are displaying how you are supposed to play Ken right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpLU8eqrs7o

apple
May 18, 2003

In all seriousness Momochi's Ken guide is more than good enough, I can't even think of anything useful to add to it since the rest is more general fighting game concepts like learning footsies and stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Were match times supposed to get better with the guile update? They havent

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I'm a Laura scrub. What are some good Laura guides to that I can stop getting my rear end beat?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Were match times supposed to get better with the guile update? They havent

hard to find matches in dead game...the xrd dilemma

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Real hurthling! posted:

Charge newbie question
I get thrown all the time cause they know im chargin. How do i mix it up?

Punch them in the dick. Also just because you are a charge character dosent mean you have to down back the whole time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChazTurbo posted:

I'm a Laura scrub. What are some good Laura guides to that I can stop getting my rear end beat?

Just do poo poo and command grab then random ex elbow whenever you're feeling frisky

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

apple posted:

I think bebaloorpabopalo knows a good guide for the "Ken Howitzer"

I don't know, that sounds like it's for the ladies...

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Stefan Prodan posted:

As far as I know these guys are displaying how you are supposed to play Ken right

they're not using the Kevin Mashers outfit so not quite.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Stefan Prodan posted:

Doesn't sound like you need a guide.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is Vega the new worst character in this thread or something

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is Vega the new worst character in this thread or something
zangief, as evidenced by the fact nobody ever discusses him because nobody plays him

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Chun is terrible. She's incredibly demanding execution-wise while outputting very little damage, she doesn't have reliable ways of opening up an opponent, her fireball pales in comparison to the shotos, Nash and Guile, her anti-air only deals 20 damage and her jump is floaty and unreliable. Please buff, Capcom.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Cat Machine posted:

zangief, as evidenced by the fact nobody ever discusses him because nobody plays him

more people talk gief than cammy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chun is terrible because she is the same boring Chun-Li she's always been

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Chun is terrible because she is the same boring Chun-Li she's always been

no, she's a different kind of boring, she can do air legs!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She could do that in Marvel

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Chun-Li is hot

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The shittiest character is Nash

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i seem to play vs a ton of alex's online. is he really popular?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are hotter Street Fighters

There are also hotter Killer Instincters

Burn babyyyyy

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Does firething have nipples

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010