Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

Seasons past is new and exciting.
Seasons Past is a thing I have seen, thus it is not new. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

alansmithee posted:

He botched the Heath but I think the draw was from killing TKS.

you are correct

e: on screen, zoo plays a devastating summons for four, evolving his 2/2 experiment ones twice

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 30, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Xaerael posted:

Went fairly badly at Game day, 3-2, finished 10th [edit: 20-25 players in total-ish?] (3-1 record in final round, up against bullshit Bant, 1-2 loss. Other loss was to the mirror 1-2, and it was 100% my fault for keeping a sketchy hand), but that's not the story.

I went with my high opinion of Tamiyo's journal and Tireless Trackers in GR ramp, and holy gently caress they're amazing. Both times I landed them together, I demolished my opponent in short order. The best (seriously, the spectating players went nuts) instance was:

Opponent (vanilla list GR ramp tryhard guy who's an obnoxious PoS who always blames his losses on "opponent getting lucky/cheating/etc") on 6 me on 15 my boardstate was a Face down Den Protector and a journal, Tracker in GY and two evo wilds in hand. Opponent drops Ulamog, poo poo, right? that usually means GG. He tags the Protector and a land for exile, so I flip the protector and get the tracker back. He then attacks with everything but the Ulamog because of summoning it.

My turn. Journal trigger for clue 1 Play the Tracker, Play an Evo for clue 2, crack it for clue 3, Journal tutor for Eldrazi Obligator, show it opponent but he doesn't see how I win, opponent's face drops like a sack of poo poo when I Steal Ulamog, win, get salt from him about "pot luck wins blah blah :qq:" I couldn't resist rubbing it in that sometimes people just have better decks that have cards that interact with each other.

It stole another win by tutoring for a Kozi's Return, another for getting Ulamog, another for being able to squeeze the last few damage needed through on a Tracker after clearing the way with an Atarka. It's loving amazing and takes people totally by surprise.

But I think it's time for me to put GR to bed. I've been playing aggro for so loving long now it hurts, and I've always been a control player by nature, so I'm jumping on the BG seasons past bus. Which leads to a question:

I have the Reid Duke/Finkel/etc list, but I'm missing the one Kalitas for the SB. I've not been able to find them for trade anywhere, so I need a temp replacement for that SB slot till someone has one (so I can play it for Game day 2 tomorrow). Opinions?

There is no replacement for kalitas but I feel the decks it's good against cant do much against a one and you have tutors. Orbs of warding ha really great out of the board and this loving standard mill deck is loving gross.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I played Season's Past at Game Day just now, and holy hell is it fun to have a one-sided draw-7 that you can then fetch back up with the 5-drop you just returned. I dropped the first match 0-2 to Bant Company (reasonably close games, both, but couldn't quite turn the corner before getting to 0), and then just absolutely crushed my next six games. Man, was that fun.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Gameday report. I haven't played much standard or watched much recent standard play, but I had a playset of Gideons and a playset of Nissas, and I'd bought some Declaration of Stones while they were still very cheap, gotten lucky enough to pack a couple Avacyns. That put me really close to the deck that won the pro tour. So I bought the other two Avacyns and took it out to gameday for two events.
Event 1, 10 players:
Round 1 vs UW Skies?
Don't really know what he was up to, I beat him up good. Bygone Bishop and Dimensional Infiltrator are both way smaller than Avacyn, and when you can go as wide as this deck and anthem up you can easily race.
Won 2-0. 1-0 overall

Round 2 vs Mono Red Eldrazithopters
This was a scary matchup. I maybe should've lost, but my opponent didn't account for Avacyn's flip twice, and I wiped the board and pulled out the win in games 2 and 3 after getting run over in game 1.
Won 2-1. 2-0 overall

Round 3 vs GB Seasons Past Control
Secure the wastes with Gideon Emblem and Nissa's minus smacked in game one. Game 2 opponent was short on mana, and died to a sylvan advocate and two thraben inspectors plus some boosts.
Won 2-0. 3-0 overall

Round 4 vs BW Control
Was the only undefeated player at this point, got the pair down and offered the draw, but was denied.
g1: Lost to Secure the Wastes into Ormendahl. Should've Dromoka's Commanded before he untapped.
g2: Virulent plague early, combined with a lot of removal for any non-tokens kept me in check, then Sorin, Kalitas, Obzedat and some Shambling Vents ended it while I sat on 2 Declaration in Stones, Secure the Wastes and an Evolutionary Leap.
Lost 0-2. 3-1 overall.

Still got the playmat and Anguished Unmaking promo due to the best tiebreakers as everyone I'd played against did pretty well.

Event 2, 8 players:
Round 1 vs GB Seasons Past Control
Same guy as in r3 of the first event. Well, it turns out that if you don't run them over they can do bad bad things to you. Game 1 I got my hand shredded and everything I played removed, then Seasons Past got everything back, I scooped long before I was dead because there was just no way. Lost my Evolutionary Leap to a duress, when I opted to play a Sylvan Advocate on turn 2 instead. Big mistake. Game 2 I couldn't find white mana early, and worldbreaker and Kalitas shredded me while I failed to get anything going on with the resolved evolutionary leap.
Lost 0-2. 0-1 overall.

Round 2 vs Pyromancer's Goggles/Devil's Playground/Impact Tremors/Assault Formation
g1:Could've put him at 1, but I lose to goldnight castigator and 8 devils after he doubles fiery impulse to kill my flashed avacyn.
g2:Face down 8 devils again that put me real low with impact tremors, but I have the sideboarded declaration in stone to wipe the devils and manage to dodge the defensive impulse.
g3: The deck's multiple personalities bite it in the rear end, and my tokens come to play.
This deck was actually better than I expected. Goggles with Devil's Playground is quite terrifying. If it had been tuned it could've done some meaner things.
Won 2-1. 1-1 overall.

Round 3 vs BR Midrange
g1: Ormendahl swings the race wildly in my favor after an EoT Secure the Wastes. Crumble to dust may be a worthwhile sideboard.
g2: Nothing really puts pressure, and I use hangarback walkers, Sigarda and Sylvan Advocates to keep my opponent on the back foot, even the value of Goblin Dark Dwellers with Kolaghan's Command couldn't pull things out.
Won 2-0. 2-1 overall for 4th place.
Feel lucky to have dodge Thunderbreak Regents in the 3rd round, and was pretty satisfied overall.
Overall winnings: 25$ credit and a playmat for the first event, turned into a copy all the cards I was missing from the deck and borrowed from a friend (where'd my Dromoka's Commands go? Bought 3 for 3$ apiece off these winnings, since that seems like a bargain and DC seems like it might end up being good for a long time so even if I find my other copies I'll be glad to own more) so now I own everything in the deck. Had exactly enough credit leftover after to pay for my entry into the 2nd, where I earned another $20 credit which will turn into a draft and a half. Also two full art Incorrigible Youth promos and two foil full art Anguished Unmaking promos. Not a bad haul, and fun to boot. Donating an Anguished promo to my friend's cube.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Man, this kid has to just be choking on cam right? He's 8-0 with mono-white Hate Bears and it seems like he's never played vs Azban Company before.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Can some of you fuckers please play aggro because these loving control mirrors are awful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Can some of you fuckers please play aggro because these loving control mirrors are awful.

If I want to do an activity where I spend the bulk of my time not playing Magic I'll just not play Magic :colbert:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Aggro decks feel pretty miserable unless they're mono white humans

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Took down Game Day today with Bant Company w/ Special Guest Eldrazi Displacer. Only loss in the swiss was to the mirror against a stock list. It came down to him drawing Dromoka's Command and me not drawing it. In the semis, I had to be on the draw against BG Aristocrats, the nightmare match up for Bant. Turns out? Eldrazi Displacer is a BOSS against this deck. It turns off the Nantuko Husk and Abbey kills and they need cutthroat to win or nothing at all. I was dropping Displacer on 3 and just passing with mana for his activation every turn doing nothing else to drop my activation. Got to 6 lands, dropped a Sylvan Advocate. Then it was attack with Advocate every turn, make him chump or put Husk in front of it and sack 2. Any time Husk was in danger of killing me or my Advocate I would blink and reset it. I whittled away his board this way and just ground out all his cards and advantage. It was a relief and a little glorious. Then took out Mardu Control in the finals by never having more than 2 things on board at once and reloading every time he swept my board. Duskwatch Recruiter is the best uncommon in the entire set. Holy poo poo.

I'm playing CryptoBG tomorrow for fun. We have shittons of Kalitas running around, but everyone knows that Displacer also stalls that deck now too. I'm thinking Ultimate Price isn't the right call for sideboard options to prevent the Kalitas hosing. I need something that unconditionally takes care of both creatures but also exiles them so they can't be recurred (BG Seasons Past or Kolaghan's Command). I was thinking Oblivion Strike? 3B Sorcery, Exile Target Creature. Gets it gone and it can hit Displacer unlike Ultimate Price. I considered Complete Disregard, but if Kalitas eats a single zombie I have no answers. Anyone have a 3 mana instant answer to both creatures in black or green?

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Is this one of them?

Don't have a screenshot, but I noticed that Jim Davis has a "C" in the top right corner of his jersey so you know that he's the captain. :rolleyes:

Trilas fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 1, 2016

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

keeblerdrow posted:

Took down Game Day today with Bant Company w/ Special Guest Eldrazi Displacer. Only loss in the swiss was to the mirror against a stock list. It came down to him drawing Dromoka's Command and me not drawing it. In the semis, I had to be on the draw against BG Aristocrats, the nightmare match up for Bant. Turns out? Eldrazi Displacer is a BOSS against this deck. It turns off the Nantuko Husk and Abbey kills and they need cutthroat to win or nothing at all. I was dropping Displacer on 3 and just passing with mana for his activation every turn doing nothing else to drop my activation. Got to 6 lands, dropped a Sylvan Advocate. Then it was attack with Advocate every turn, make him chump or put Husk in front of it and sack 2. Any time Husk was in danger of killing me or my Advocate I would blink and reset it. I whittled away his board this way and just ground out all his cards and advantage. It was a relief and a little glorious. Then took out Mardu Control in the finals by never having more than 2 things on board at once and reloading every time he swept my board. Duskwatch Recruiter is the best uncommon in the entire set. Holy poo poo.

I'm playing CryptoBG tomorrow for fun. We have shittons of Kalitas running around, but everyone knows that Displacer also stalls that deck now too. I'm thinking Ultimate Price isn't the right call for sideboard options to prevent the Kalitas hosing. I need something that unconditionally takes care of both creatures but also exiles them so they can't be recurred (BG Seasons Past or Kolaghan's Command). I was thinking Oblivion Strike? 3B Sorcery, Exile Target Creature. Gets it gone and it can hit Displacer unlike Ultimate Price. I considered Complete Disregard, but if Kalitas eats a single zombie I have no answers. Anyone have a 3 mana instant answer to both creatures in black or green?
You're aware of grasp of darkness?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Sharzak posted:

You're aware of grasp of darkness?

Once he eats a Zombie, he's out of range. Need to be able to deal with 5/6 and 7/8 Kalitas, too. It's fair against Displacer, though.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Took down my Game Day with B/W/C control. Credit to Sickening as my list is fairly heavily based off one of your initial builds of the deck with TKS and Smasher mainboarded. Took out G/W tokens, U/W Fliers, and U/W Humans to be able to ID into top 8. The first two match-ups were utter slaughters. My round 1 opponent never got off the ground, and my round 2 was playing creatures against the deck that is 90% kill spells. Round 3 was much, much closer.

Top 8 started with a rematch against the U/W Humans deck, another close series of games, which came down to me flipping Gideon off of Sorin with him at 4 life just before he could flip Westvale Abbey on his next turn. Top 4 was the Seasons Past deck. Game 1 he folded to running out of answers after my Transgresses picked off Dark Petition and Seasons Past. Game 2 he kept an absurdly greedy hand and got punished for it as I ran him out of answers and forced him to 2 for 1 himself repeatedly on my early threats. Finals was mono-white humans... game 1 he took me out just before I could stabilize... games 2 and 3, I hit him with 4 for 1s on my Languishes, and the Gideon/Sorin combo to follow it up resulted in concessions.

This deck is very good, and I've only lost one match with it in several weeks of testing and evolving.

EDIT: To the guy playing B/G, just play Ultimate Price. Your game plan against Kalitas is to pray it doesn't hit the table, and Ultimate Price and Grasp are your only reliable answers against it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Infinite Obliteration might be worth the likely card disadvantage if it means getting rid of a creature your deck is literally incapable of beating.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Voyager I posted:

Infinite Obliteration might be worth the likely card disadvantage if it means getting rid of a creature your deck is literally incapable of beating.

Yep. Right now, I have, specifically for Kalitas, 4 Transgress the Mind, 2 Infinite Obliteration, 4 Ultimate Price/Oblivion Strike. This is fine, except that I taught the entire store today that Eldrazi Displacer shuts down 2 out of the 3 blow out kills that deck can do. So I need an answer to that too, now. Ultimate Prices won't cut it. Bleh.

I also built my girlfriend a Jeskai Superfriends deck featureing Jace, Chandra, Gideon, and Nahiri. It's just got nothing to do til turn 3, so that's concerning.

Zoizite
Jul 20, 2006
Finally got a game day win today. W/u humans with 3 Archangel of Tithes and 2 Ojutai. Went 2-2 in the swiss. Squeaked through top 8.

Swiss
2-1 vs Seasons Past control.
This match is annoying as hell if I can't close it out quick. Thankfully, the opponent had only a couple of games with the deck and didn't play well. Losses are slow and painful, because I do have an out with Always Watching/Ojutai.

0-2 vs G/W Tokens.
He was able to jam up the ground and beat me with thopter tokens and Avacyn. Wasn't close at all.

1-2 vs Mardu Control.
Languish and ultimate price just own me pretty bad. Sideboard negates and Eerie Interlude have been my go to sideboard tech vs black control, but it's still rough.

2-0 vs U/R Goggles Control.
Cool deck, good player, but I managed to pull it out. Lost a board to Kozilek's Return, but thankfully Archangel of Tithes is hard for them to get rid of.

After going 2-2 during the swiss and the store i play at being full of black control, I wasn't hopful.

Top 8
2-0 vs Mono white tokens brew.
Was close game 2, but I managed to come out faster and stronger.

2-1 vs Seasons Past Control.
Different guy from before. He beat me hard at FNM last night, but I managed to pull through it with a few timely Eerie Interludes and Negates - and a LOT of luck.

2-0 vs G/W Tokens.
Same guy that beat me in the swiss. Games were very close. Had a faster draw than him game 1. I was able to pressure him and his Nissa enough so that he had to keep making bad blocks to keep her alive and Consul's Lieutenant from triggering renown. Kept his creature count low enough that a flashed in Avacyn wasn't enough to save him. Game 2 was VERY close with me down to 1 at the end. Negated his Gideon to prevent a flipped Avacyn from being lethal. Crack back for lethal with 2 reflector mages and a little Gideon 0 activation.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

keeblerdrow posted:

Yep. Right now, I have, specifically for Kalitas, 4 Transgress the Mind, 2 Infinite Obliteration, 4 Ultimate Price/Oblivion Strike. This is fine, except that I taught the entire store today that Eldrazi Displacer shuts down 2 out of the 3 blow out kills that deck can do. So I need an answer to that too, now. Ultimate Prices won't cut it. Bleh.

I also built my girlfriend a Jeskai Superfriends deck featureing Jace, Chandra, Gideon, and Nahiri. It's just got nothing to do til turn 3, so that's concerning.

Oath of Chandra is a decent 2 drop, and it doubles as removal. O don't think you want more than 2 maindeck though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

keeblerdrow posted:

Other question: why does your answer need to be instant? Displacer and Kalitas both generally spend a turn on the board before they can do anything too crazy (They might get to go Kalitas + Fiery Impulse or something but they aren't gonna be able to Languish in the same turn), so if the best spell comes down on your next main phase it's probably still not a deal breaker, even if it's not ideal.

Also just put removal in your Superfriends list or something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB give me back my MTGO Pyro/Hydroblasts so I can sell the friggin' things!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

keeblerdrow posted:

Once he eats a Zombie, he's out of range. Need to be able to deal with 5/6 and 7/8 Kalitas, too. It's fair against Displacer, though.

Grasp and price are two of the best and most complimentary removal spells in the format right now and realistically you should be running 3 or 4 of each. Between those there really isn't a lot that doesn't die.
Transgress the Mind is your second best bet IMO. You could also run To the Slaughter--after Kelly eats her 3 drop and you've cleared whatever else, there's only one sac target.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I just went 4-1 at Gameday with UR Madness Tutelage.

Match 1 BR Vampires: I drew enough radiant flames and engulf the shores, then flipped a Thing in the Ice in game 1, game 2 I milled them out.
Match 2 GR Ramp: Milled the guy out both game, game one I milled 2 Ulamogs and 3 World Breakers before he could cast them, so he had a ton of mana but nothing to do. Game 2 he couldn't draw any lands past 3.
Match 3 Bant Company. I got destroyed, was not surprised.
Match 4 BG Aristograts. I had enough board wipes/bounce to keep him from ever having critical mass of creatures. Game 1 I won with Chandra tokens + Thing in the Ice, Game 3 I milled him out.
Match 5 Brain in the Jar. Mono colored decks have a rough time against tutelage. Was able to keep up engulf the shore/kozilek's return to kill zombies whenever he tried to go off.

It's a super fun deck and is actually really good against aggro. I need to put Lightning Axe or something in the board to deal with big flying things.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Remember when they restricted Lodestone and Mentor became almost literally half of the vintage meta?

That was a cool decision to make I guess.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

suicidesteve posted:

Remember when they restricted Lodestone and Mentor became almost literally half of the vintage meta?

It's still an improvement over the world where shops was the best deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

I mean it's not hard to be half of something when your total is four. :haw:

But I could see how that might be an issue.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

ShaneB give me back my MTGO Pyro/Hydroblasts so I can sell the friggin' things!

OK should have pmed me bro!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Why didn't they also restrict gush and petition I will never understand (its because vsl is bad)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why didn't they also restrict gush and petition I will never understand (its because vsl is bad)

Because WotC is horribly incompetent WRT making formats. Dark Petition hasn't really put up the results lately to justify restricting it though that would likely change if they restrict Gush. They should really just get a group of players for each format and have them determine the B&R list because they've proven repeatedly that they don't know how what they're doing.

GeneX posted:

It's still an improvement over the world where shops was the best deck

You know how I know you've never played vintage?

Count Bleck posted:

I mean it's not hard to be half o something when your total is four. :haw:

But I could see how that might be an issue.

The power 9 challenge yesterday had 61 players. 25 were Mentor with an additional 2 Pyro/Delver. 4 Shops players.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 1, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Restricting Lodestone Golem is really hurting the northeast US Vintage community because it's making one of the premier TOs quit. The general idea among that large community is that Wizards listened to pro players - who rarely, if ever, play Vintage aside from MTGO community style events - who whined about Workshop decks.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Got a buddy in day 2 of GP Toronto today, currently at 7-2-1 on gw tokens. All the pros seem to be on it as well.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

legoman727 posted:

Took down my Game Day with B/W/C control. Credit to Sickening as my list is fairly heavily based off one of your initial builds of the deck with TKS and Smasher mainboarded. Took out G/W tokens, U/W Fliers, and U/W Humans to be able to ID into top 8. The first two match-ups were utter slaughters. My round 1 opponent never got off the ground, and my round 2 was playing creatures against the deck that is 90% kill spells. Round 3 was much, much closer.

Top 8 started with a rematch against the U/W Humans deck, another close series of games, which came down to me flipping Gideon off of Sorin with him at 4 life just before he could flip Westvale Abbey on his next turn. Top 4 was the Seasons Past deck. Game 1 he folded to running out of answers after my Transgresses picked off Dark Petition and Seasons Past. Game 2 he kept an absurdly greedy hand and got punished for it as I ran him out of answers and forced him to 2 for 1 himself repeatedly on my early threats. Finals was mono-white humans... game 1 he took me out just before I could stabilize... games 2 and 3, I hit him with 4 for 1s on my Languishes, and the Gideon/Sorin combo to follow it up resulted in concessions.

This deck is very good, and I've only lost one match with it in several weeks of testing and evolving.

EDIT: To the guy playing B/G, just play Ultimate Price. Your game plan against Kalitas is to pray it doesn't hit the table, and Ultimate Price and Grasp are your only reliable answers against it.

You're a bastard, but I'm always pleased when the guy who takes me out of top 8 wins the whole thing. Especially when you finished by beating Aaron, I hate that guy.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why didn't they also restrict gush

fight me irl

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

legoman727 posted:

Glad you got something out of it.

I honestly think control is going to b/w/g sometime in the near future. Basically splashing for sorin and secure the wastes. Pulse of murasa is also loving great.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Restricting Lodestone Golem is really hurting the northeast US Vintage community because it's making one of the premier TOs quit. The general idea among that large community is that Wizards listened to pro players - who rarely, if ever, play Vintage aside from MTGO community style events - who whined about Workshop decks.

I mean if I have to choose between a literal manchild tantrumming and taking his ball to go home and professional Wizards, I would take the non-child option every time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Name and shame the TO because that is hilarious.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Honestly he was on the verge of quitting for like two years, but ran (less and less) events out of a sense of obligation. When Wizards killed the deck he'd been playing for many years, it was just the last in a long line of upsetting things that made him disenchanted with the game and tournament scene. I'm not sure how much longer he would've ran events even without the restriction.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it really dead though? It's still a very good deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lancelot posted:

Is it really dead though? It's still a very good deck.

Shops had 2 favorable match-ups among the more popular decks: Storm and Mentor. Mentor had 1 bad match-up in Shops. The reason Shops was the "best deck" (it wasn't) was because it was favored against the 2 actual best decks. Neither of those are favorable now. Shops just doesn't have any decks that it wants to see on the other side of the table. Without Lodestone Golem to clock people even storm has time to set and win. The cards I've seen people playing (Karn, Silver Golem, Slash Panther, Coercive Portal, Eldrazi/Eye of Ugin) are embarrassing.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Just went 0-4 drop at game day playing g/r ramp. Played against 3 versions of white aggro and another g/r player who ended with a very similar record to me.

Think I'm going to have to find a new deck, so much of the local meta seems to be aggro now and even with 4 kozilek's return etc I just can't stop them. Don't really like the look of many of the current popular decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got blown the gently caress out in BOTH game days playing black white control. BG aristocrats is cancer. Wrecked me everywhere. First game day I tied to abzan recursion, and got wrecked by BG aristocrats, Jeskai, and another BW control. Next I got blown up by 2x BG aristocrats and then something else and beat a dude playing RW equip.

I tried the BG aristocrats one night and didn't care for it. I never really played coco before that and I just don't know. Most of the people I play with are going home for the summer from college, but I'll be here working on my deck. Not sure what to do at this point. I netdeck and don't really know how to counter the local meta. I was going to meet up with the guys that play in college here and work with them on my deck, but I'll be going it alone over the summer. Most of the top grinders around here play control, so every top game will be punching myself in the dick. And the cool guys that are good are the ones going home; the good guys that are out of college and live in the area are essentially pricks. Welp. There is one cool place to go in town where it's a chill environment; hope games have enough numbers to go off there.

• Locked thread