Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

the npc died in front of me after she teleported me into the room with her during a cutscene. I think the trigger is killing all of the lords of cinder before the princes so you don't get lost, because why would you ever go back to that room on your own? I think it auto lit the bonfire in aldrich's room for me tho, which is nice

The NPC, who you have to talk to, who gives you a key item when you do so that you have to manually place where she tells you to. The game does not automatically dump you into the boss fight and you're remembering wrong, straight-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

then I remembered that part wrong, but you definitely get teleported to that room. if there's another trigger for that scene, I don't know what it is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've been replaying DS1 and let me say I am extremely glad weapon durability is all but gone

I just descended blighttown with a +0 gargoyle tail axe

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You get teleported there after killing your third lord no matter who it is. The teleport is a bad way of showing you where to go next but it's not the game's fault that you didn't look around before progressing. :shrug:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The part you got right is you get teleported after killing three of the lord of the cinders. That is right.

The whole boss fight however starting? That is not right. You initiate by interacting with the maiden laying on the floor.

edit: Beaten to death.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I finished my outfit and look the coolest.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Is a Dark/Hex build a thing I can do? If it is, is there any magic or weapons to look out for?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

The NPC, who you have to talk to, who gives you a key item when you do so that you have to manually place where she tells you to. The game does not automatically dump you into the boss fight and you're remembering wrong, straight-up.

The boss doesn't triggers when you try to place the bowl, it triggers when you walk up to it. Kinda a big difference.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You get teleported there after killing your third lord no matter who it is. The teleport is a bad way of showing you where to go next but it's not the game's fault that you didn't look around before progressing. :shrug:

never said it was :v:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Babe Magnet posted:

sick, just started a new guy for pvp gimmicks and I get a raw gem off the first lantern undead in high wall and a symbol of avarice from the first mimic lol

Lmfao... drat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

never said it was :v:

The other guy did. I didn't mean you specifically, I meant you in the general sense.

RatHat posted:

The boss doesn't triggers when you try to place the bowl, it triggers when you walk up to it. Kinda a big difference.

Fair enough, but like someone else said, the Dancer moves pretty slowly in its first phase as if to say "hey if you wanna bone out, now's your chance".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Brannock posted:

Lmfao... drat.

right I haven't seen a loving avarice symbol in my other playthroughs, this either bodes well or very, very terribly

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

CJacobs posted:

I mean, why would you be on guard for another boss after having just killed a boss? I thought it was just activating a way to the next area. Personally, I just used a homeward bone when that happened, but it was still kinda dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The other guy did. I didn't mean you specifically, I meant you in the general sense.

Fair enough, but like someone else said, the Dancer moves pretty slowly in its first phase as if to say "hey if you wanna bone out, now's your chance".

ah, my bad

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I went back to the room a couple of times to see how to kick that ladder that's behind her down. That and to get the Lothric armor set and practice against the knights outside.

Dark Souls 3 is better at putting you on the right path, but goddamn, I missed every single one of these questlines. Only thing I possibly followed to it's conclusion was Geirat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Question, at the beginning of the Cathedral of the Deep you fight two NPC style enemies. One is a copy of the bandit from DS1's forest covenant, the other is some kind of assassin.

Only, that assassin is wearing an armor set I have not seen anywhere else in the game. Its certainly not the assassin armor set. Does anyone know what it is?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Having finished my first run I've decided to embrace fashion souls with the realization that armor is mostly pointless. I don't think I've ever seen someone else use the fire witch chest piece, I like it.

Lothric Greatsword is kind of absurd in the early game, heavy attack can two shot the evangelists in settlement.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Question, at the beginning of the Cathedral of the Deep you fight two NPC style enemies. One is a copy of the bandit from DS1's forest covenant, the other is some kind of assassin.

Only, that assassin is wearing an armor set I have not seen anywhere else in the game. Its certainly not the assassin armor set. Does anyone know what it is?

It looked like the Fallen Knight set to me. That armor set is found the lake around the Crucifixion Woods

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
The Dancer snuck up on me and killed me and left all of Aldritch's souls on the floor :(

Then I equipped a ring of sacrifice for safety, made sure I had homeward bone on the quickbar, and got 'em back, duh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Fargin Icehole posted:

It looked like the Fallen Knight set to me. That armor set is found the lake around the Crucifixion Woods

I thought it might, be it looked a little darker and didn't seem consistent with an assassin character

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Speaking of the fallen knight set, has anyone figured out if it's supposed to be a reference to another set or game or anything? Because it looks familiar but I can't quite place my finger on what it is.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
On my pyro, Dancer took about 8 dark orbs at 23/23 int/fth. But gently caress me it was tough to get the 8 off without getting combo'd to death at level 63

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Viperix posted:

Is a Dark/Hex build a thing I can do? If it is, is there any magic or weapons to look out for?

Yes. Dark magics for the most part scale like the regular versions of their class; i.e. dark miracles will scale with Faith up to 60 with most chimes/talismans. There are three casting implements that act a bit differently and allow you to have a pure dark magic build. Those are the Izalith staff, Sunless Talisman, and Caitha's Chime. Dark magic cast with these catalysts will scale with you Int/Fth, up to the softcap of 30/30. Since these can take a bit to get (earliest would be Sunless Talisman if you're willing to kill Sirris) it's best to start off such a character as a pyromancer, and then segue into dark later on. Especially since the pyromancy hand scales with Int/Fth up to 40/40.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for the dark divine tomes (Londor and Deep) to give to Irina. Deacons Soul to make Deep Soul, and Rank 1 Aldrich faithful for Great Deep Soul. Can get Dorhy's Gnawing from the Evangelist in Irithyll. Grave Warden Pyromancy time to Karla for dark pyromancies.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of the fallen knight set, has anyone figured out if it's supposed to be a reference to another set or game or anything? Because it looks familiar but I can't quite place my finger on what it is.

Black metal with gold details is drakeblood as hell, but that set is also in the game so it might not be a reference to that

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The Old Demon King is a piece of poo poo fight as melee. Half the time the camera breaks lock-on because you need to see what the hell he's doing.

It's this guy and the Nameless King, that's all the bosses I got left.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 1, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Nuebot posted:

At first I thought it was a reference to Drakeblood armor but that's in the game so just maybe random knights who couldn't' handle the heat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

I don't know the answer to this, but I do know that the trousers are one of the only individual clothing pieces that has a description that's different than the rest of its respective set, and it's because the game wants to tell you that you are wearing pissed-in pants:

quote:

Trousers of an order of fallen knights.

Held beneath leather boots and drab cloth using a knot of rope and bandage, they are dampened and indelibly stained with the misery of flight.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Babe Magnet posted:

a symbol of avarice from the first mimic lol

you gently caress

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIi-zuwP9ms

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Luceid posted:

you gently caress

while starting up my gimmick greatsword PVP character, I got a symbol of avarice out of the first mimic and a dark sword from the darkwraith who drops the red eye orb :hellyeah:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Someone on reddit noticed that you can summon K***ht Slayer Tsorig to fight himself if you're willing to run back far enough. He even does the "lol owned" gesture when he beats himself. :shepface:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Luceid posted:

you gently caress

I've had one drop on both of my characters

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

The Old Demon King is a piece of poo poo fight as melee. Half the time the camera breaks lock-on because you need to see what the hell he's doing.

It's this guy and the Nameless King, that's all the bosses I got left.

He was kind of a jerk even when I wasn't using lock ons. Plus his habit of sliding me around with his motions even when it wasn't causing damage.

I feel like I missed a trick when I staggered him (and giant crabs, among other things) because I just can't pull of large enemy ripostes to save my life. I finally beat him when I stopped fooling myself that a frost weapon would mean anything to a fire demon.

Biggest gamechanger aside from that was learning the timing for a reflex roll away from his instant use quick slam he tends to follow up a different swing with. "Okay, time to dodge the attack I can't currently see at all." Though I am garbage at dodging through one of his other attacks, that's what lots of estus is for.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 1, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I killed Emma early with the Dancer skip and figured she wouldn't be around to bug me after Aldrich and Yhorm but no, she somehow warps me back to Lothric Castle from beyond the loving grave. At least there was a nice bonfire right there to warp back to Yhorm's room this time.

loving Emma.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Probably would have been easier and less jarring just to have the Firekeeper say "seek Prince Lothric in the cathedral" after beating all the Lords than the whole teleporter thing

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So it looks as if the Pilgrim Butterflies got just a bit more colorful in anticipation of May.

But otherwise I think I'm done with DS3 for a while. I got all the achievements, saw everything there was to see, but as before I find this game has several issues that it should have learned from its predecessors. Perhaps they'll fix those up in the DLC or in some sprawling patch in the vein of Scholar of the First Sin (not to be confused with the rerelease of the same name).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Probably would have been easier and less jarring just to have the Firekeeper say "seek Prince Lothric in the cathedral" after beating all the Lords than the whole teleporter thing

To be fair scene transitions for no real reason are a FROM tradition.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing that bugs me about armor is the amount I have to dump into vitality. I'm stuck wearing weak rear end armor because my vitality is around the same as my other stats. Frustrating. I don't want to wear everything, but I also am tired of ultra light paper armor. Even if Drang owns

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

PlaystationVR being mentioned makes me worry it'll have a lovely gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I can't decide if whips are absolutely awful or not. Some enemies are incredibly easy to cheese and then the thrall enemies just bust my balls because gently caress the windup on whip attacks.

I'm not looking forward to basically any boss during this challenge run. :shepface: Hey at least Deacons oughta be an easy as hell fight with the whip R2s being a country mile wide.