Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress this stupid poo poo.

You're the one refusing to believe in the existence of humor that doesn't make you personally chuckle, at a bare minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Batman's reflexive little "woah, buddy" gesture as the gas wears off when he's punching Superman was def one of my favorite gags I've seen in a superhero film in a while

Also Superman tapping Batman on the shoulder sending him near the entire length of the alley they're in in response to Batman getting up in his face and being a belligerent rear end in a top hat. *I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY -" *flies like fifty feet backwards from a tiny push*

Most of the jokes are basically centered around Batman, really. Stuff like his pecking with Alfred, or him being like "I am so loving far out of my league" with everything Doomsday like when he has to run and hide under a piece of debris when the energy wave comes while Wonder Woman and Superman just kinda throw their arms up and lower their center of gravity. There's literally just a point where he climbs out from under the rock and watches the other two fight the monster and it's kind of effective as both him being in awe of the spectacle in front of him and also him being like "I have zero goddamn idea what to do here". Which in turn leads to Doomsday turning his sights on him and Batman just pulling an "exit stage left" with his grappling gun and running like Bugs Bunny being chased by Elmer Fudd.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The nightmare scene was hilarious, I was laughing the entire time. It was just so bizarre and trippy and I had no idea what was going on so it rolled around to being funny for me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
BVS has great jokes: a fuckin ugly statue at Ground Zero, "Dozens Killed" in quotation marks while Wayne Tower gets the headline, the smartphone interface on the secret alien files, Batman's brand is literally the movie's logo, Lex feeds Zod a Jolly Rancher, Ma Kent is disgusted with Nancy Grace, all the celebrity pundit cameos, pretty much everything Batsman does....

The only issue is that you're not told these are jokes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because they aren't jokes.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

everythings a joke

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I think DC should scrap the built universe thing and just go directly to having Snyder make a four hour Kingdome Come movie.
oh wow yes please
it would be like a loving fever dream

CelticPredator posted:

Hah-hah! Nice one!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll conceit that Batman hitting Superman and Superman getting stronger after the gas wears off is a joke.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The dream sequence is one of the most sincere depictions of comic book insanity I've seen. But it is in no way supposed to be comedic. The fact that some finds the scene inherently funny doesn't change that fact.

Like, when I saw Civil War someone in the theater burst out laughing when Tony talked about the alumni who died when they failed to do their job. Some laughed hard when Rhodes crashed and broke his back. That doesn't make those scenes comedic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The scene that got the biggest belly laugh from me was probably when the waynes got shot.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I will admit I laughed during the fight in the dream sequence because of the poorly executed fight choreography.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerkface posted:

The scene that got the biggest belly laugh from me was probably when the waynes got shot.

The iconography of the pearls wrapped around the gun was pretty ludicrous, probably one of those moments where it would have been better to not directly reference the comic

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
When Superman tries to punch Doomsday, Doomsday should have caught Superman's fist which prompts Superman to comment "Hm, upgrades!" When Doomsday was chasing Batman around, Batman should have yelled "I'm too old for this sh*t!" Maybe Doomsday could have knocked Wonder Woman into Batman and they both go down and he accidentally touches her boob and is really awkward about it, haha! Superman should have worn his red panties over his costume so Batman could have said "Hey, nice panties!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Or Joyless Goyer could've tried to add some natural levity.

I feel like he doesn't understand what humor is. Almost everything good and funny probably came from the actors. Goyer is bad.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The 'I though she was with you' joke is terrible, but Batman's "please don't hit me" pose was funny, even if it felt pretty out of character.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The iconography of the pearls wrapped around the gun was pretty ludicrous, probably one of those moments where it would have been better to not directly reference the comic

Yeah, I never liked it in the comics either. I mean, it's a striking image, but its ridiculousness overshadows its emotional impact for me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Renoistic posted:

The 'I though she was with you' joke is terrible, but Batman's "please don't hit me" pose was funny, even if it felt pretty out of character.

This Batman probably never faced anything like this before. Maybe he fought Bane, but Bane did not have laser face powers. He was... unprepared.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Joyless Goyer"

I'm expecting "Hack Snyder" next

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I love the "I thought she was with you!" line because Batman is in the process of losing his god drat mind. It's delivered perfectly as a "Welp what's next, a fish dude?"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Or Joyless Goyer could've tried to add some natural levity.

I feel like he doesn't understand what humor is. Almost everything good and funny probably came from the actors. Goyer is bad.
Based on these last few pages I'm not sure you're in much position to call anyone out for not knowing what jokes are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Joyless Goyer"

I'm expecting "Hack Snyder" next
Nah dawg, Hack Snyder is played out. I'm startin a new thing.

TetsuoTW posted:

Based on these last few pages I'm not sure you're in much position to call anyone out for not knowing what jokes are.

Jokes and humor aren't the same thing, man. A joke requires a set up, and a pay off. Humor doesn't require any of that. Obviously I don't find weird comic book poo poo inherently funny, but if that's the level Goyer is operating on, well, fine. He can do his thing, but I think it's poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I love the "I thought she was with you!" line because Batman is in the process of losing his god drat mind. It's delivered perfectly as a "Welp what's next, a fish dude?"

He'd worked so hard towards a single goal these last 18 months and all that suddenly got thrown in the shitter, no wonder he was having trouble adjusting. The first 2/3 of the movie worked really, really hard to establish the groundwork for Batman wanting to murder Superman and then all of that was unravelled with 6 lines of dialogue and then before they can unpack all that Doomsday appears and it turns out all that poo poo was irrelevant anyway because there's bigger, badder things to deal with.

MoS did a similar thing where Clark spent 2/3 of the movie agonising over whether to use his powers to save people and reveal himself or whether the human race wasn't ready to accept that there was an alien living among them and then Zod turns up and announces "Hey, there's an alien living among you!" on worldwide television.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Really wasn't expecting people to outright state that they want their comic book movies to be escapism devoid of any nuance, but this thread does have a habit of surprising me from time to time.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Martha Kent saying "I figured. The cape." is the funniest moment in any superhero movie ever. Saying BvS doesn't have jokes requires the same kind of ignorance of the text on the most basic level as pretty much most of the criticism thrown at that movie, though, so I get where you're coming from.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

Yeah, I never liked it in the comics either. I mean, it's a striking image, but its ridiculousness overshadows its emotional impact for me.

It is literally a dream sequence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PiedPiper posted:

In both cases, it's not a literal recollection of what happened.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In both cases, it's not a literal recollection of what happened.

Huh, always thought it was just a flashback. It doesn't change my opinion, though. Still looks weird.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

He'd worked so hard towards a single goal these last 18 months and all that suddenly got thrown in the shitter, no wonder he was having trouble adjusting. The first 2/3 of the movie worked really, really hard to establish the groundwork for Batman wanting to murder Superman and then all of that was unravelled with 6 lines of dialogue and then before they can unpack all that Doomsday appears and it turns out all that poo poo was irrelevant anyway because there's bigger, badder things to deal with.

I really liked how freeing of Martha felt like a liberation of Batman. Should have cut back to Alfred in the Batcave leaning back in his chair and say "This is what Batman's supposed to be!" while Batman chokeslams a dude. And immediately after that, Batman is thrown into a fistfight with the gods and has to fly by the seat of his pants, but ironically enough his preparations to murder Superman have probably done a lot to help him survive Doomsday.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PiedPiper posted:

Huh, always thought it was just a flashback. It doesn't change my opinion, though. Still looks weird.

A flashback is not a literal recollection. Look at the look on Bruce's face; he may be conflating things in his mind. Batman believes in his own mythology. We see his origin story as he sees it. That's why the bats "take him to the light". He remembers that as the moment he became more than human.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The dinky green light bulbs signaling the total breakdown into nightmare were freaking hilarious.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I laughed at Batman's training montage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I laughed a lot at Batman's angry driving after Superman casually hosed up the Batmobile.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Seriously, all that was missing from Batman's angry drive and angry crossfit was the theme from Kevin Bacon's angry danceout in Footloose.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

The slow mo doesn't help, because it looks like Martha is going, "Well, looks like I could only judo the gun to about here, because plot device.".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Joe Gillian posted:

The slow mo doesn't help, because it looks like Martha is going, "Well, looks like I could only judo the gun to about here, because plot device.".

I don't follow.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Inception's issue might be Cobb's lack of a real personality. He's probably the coldest of all of Nolan's heroes. I like him, alright, but I can understand their issues with him.

Like, for all of Interstellar's faults, that movie is just a loving wave of emotions. Nolan loves to make people feel. And that's great because he's real good at it. You can argue that his movies might be inconsitant in terms of story or logic or whatever, but like the message of Interstellar, sort of...emotion transcends time and space.
This just sounds so weird to me, 'cause the only Nolan films that made me feel a thing were Memento, maybe some parts of Interstellar (but I think that's more due to McConaughey), and all the rest felt absolutely clinical plot-driven spectacles with enormous amounts of exposition, whereas there's something about how the characters are acted/directed at Snyder's films that makes them feel realistic and much easier to empathise with, which in turn results in me feeling a whirlwind of emotions during him films without fail. For the record, I was riveted throughout watching BvS, found the overall message uplifting, Martha scene a strong emotional climax and piss jar scene a mix between uncomfortably humorous and horrifying.

To each his own, etc., I just find it really interesting that we as viewers can have such conflicting yet strong reactions regarding certain films to the point where we almost accept them as universal and get surprised when others feel differently.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
DC's movies depict a dour and oppressive world where people manage to rise to greatness through heroism and generosity despite their surroundings. Marvel movies insist that the world was already a great place were it not for those supernazis loving everything up, so if we eliminate them, everything will be fine. When people say that DC's movies are depressing, what they actually mean is that they're honest.

BvS's antagonists aren't just scared of Superman because he's a powerful alien, they're annoyed and in disbelief of his unbridled optimism - that he hasn't let the world around him corrupt himself. "No one stays good in this world," etc.

"God is either all good, or all powerful. He cannot be both!"
"I bet your parents told you you were special, that you had a purpose. Mine taught me something different, dying in the gutter, for no reason at all. They taught me that this world only makes sense f you force it to."
"gently caress that stupid poo poo."

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Pirate Jet posted:

DC's movies depict a dour and oppressive world where people manage to rise to greatness through heroism and generosity despite their surroundings. Marvel movies insist that the world was already a great place were it not for those supernazis loving everything up, so if we eliminate them, everything will be fine. When people say that DC's movies are depressing, what they actually mean is that they're honest.
I legitimately believe the world is pretty great, so maybe that's why MoS failed to grab me (haven't seen BvS yet). It's a bummer you think the world is dour and oppressive :( :ohdear:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

The dinky green light bulbs signaling the total breakdown into nightmare were freaking hilarious.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FlashySnivelingBee.webm

e: bonus i don't think I've posted yet:
https://gfycat.com/GrotesqueWhoppingAntelope.webm

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The green bulbs and how they are wired are silly. In a post apocalyptic world wouldn't you just put a flashlight in an old Mt Dew bottle? Nope, have to find some steampunk green bulbs, wire up a scooter battery, take apart a couple lamps for the sockets...

• Locked thread