Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It was a labor of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Timby posted:

Faraci also said that Snyder was secretly being fired from Justice League, and then like a day later it got out that the movie had already started shooting. I also recall him saying that the Cumberbatch rumors were a total smokescreen and that Joaquin Phoenix had been signed for ages to do Doctor Strange, that Doctor Strange wasn't going to be an origin story, and that Khan wasn't in Star Trek Into Darkness.

Basically, he's completely unafraid to make poo poo up out of thin air in order to fit his narrative, which is generally "Marvel Studios rules, all others drool."

I don't know where that Snyder thing supposedly come from, since its nowhere at all on the site. Same with the Doctor Strange stuff which breaks down that Phoenix was supposed to come out on stage (Like Ruffalo did) as Marvel's choice for Strange but he balked at the multi-picture deal (which is something that even he confirmed). There's no mention anywhere for Cumberbatch as a smokescreen. As for the Star Trek thing that is completely wrong, since way back when the movie was still shooting he wrote this:

quote:

My two thoughts:

1) The caption is a lie. I mean, he may be calling himself 'John Harrison,' but that's not who he really is. That's a name he's using for most of the film before a big reveal as to who he actually is....I've had a number of sources tell me that Cumberbatch is Khan.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

She wrestles the gun up to her face and just kind of lets comic book history take its course. She could've just as easily tucked his arm under hers and then broke it. The slow mo showing her loving that up does the sequence no favors.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 1, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So you're like, disappointed in Martha Wayne's judo skills?
I did kind of laugh at the fact that both Waynes just like aggressively started CQCing this mugger with a gun instead of like, handing over their stupid wallets or whatever
But again, a dream

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
woops
(double pissjar post)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Joe Gillian posted:

She wrestles the gun up to her face and just kinds of lets comic book history take its course. She could've just as easily tucked his arm under hers and then broke it. The slow mo showing her loving that up does the sequence no favors.

Then that's what Batman thinks, too. His mom was a pussy for not wrestling the gun away or thinking two moves ahead. Her problem was that she didn't train enough. Don't forget, we see him take a point blank gunshot to the head in this. All it does is make him madder, because he's trained his entire life for moments like that.

No punk with a gun is ever gonna catch him slipping.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Pretty much. The thought of Martha Wayne being a half-assed martial artist is worthy of a chuckle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You're right though. The half-imagined moment in time that he agonizes over can't just be unfortunate and tragic. Everything is a wrong to be righted. There should be no criminals and no guns, no reason to ever let your guard down (Bruce pretends to be a Thomas Wayne type when really, he's always Batman) no reason to pretend to be Zorro when you can simply be Zorro.

This is how Batman is ambiguously a hero, but also, a loving maniac.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Slugworth posted:

I legitimately believe the world is pretty great, so maybe that's why MoS failed to grab me (haven't seen BvS yet). It's a bummer you think the world is dour and oppressive :( :ohdear:
You are lucky to read the Climate Change thread in DnD, I did and have now become fully pessimistic of the survival of our species and the world

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

achillesforever6 posted:

You are lucky to read the Climate Change thread in DnD, I did and have now become fully pessimistic of the survival of our species and the world

Oh don't get me wrong, I have concerns, I'm not just an idiot child running carelessly through life, but I just can't bring myself to view the world as dour and oppressive.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheFallenEvincar posted:

So you're like, disappointed in Martha Wayne's judo skills?
I did kind of laugh at the fact that both Waynes just like aggressively started CQCing this mugger with a gun instead of like, handing over their stupid wallets or whatever
But again, a dream

Honestly, I kind of like the idea that it's a family trait that if you come at a Wayne they're coming at you. Especially considering the Wayne family is so tied up in the very creation of Gotham city, the fact that they're aggressive sort of makes sense. Kind of more sense than the usual depiction of them being somewhat passive and the mugging just goes bad.

Then again I also really like the idea from Earth One that Martha is an Arkham.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyges posted:

Kind of more sense than the usual depiction of them being somewhat passive and the mugging just goes bad.

This is what I'm talking about. How does that make more or less sense?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is what I'm talking about. How does that make more or less sense?

At least in my mind, seeing his parents try and stop the mugging but failing fits into the Batman "psychosis". It drives his need to be ready for anything and to master as many fields as possible. Thomas and Martha failed not through inaction or bad luck, they failed because they were unprepared and ineffectual in their actions. That's why Batman is the best martial artist and detective, he's always going to see trouble coming and be ready to punch it in its face.

You could get to a similar result via him rejecting their inaction that night. However Batman wholeheartedly embraces the stated Wayne trait of trying to fix Gotham, which to me falls more in line with embracing the last actions of his parents, at least as he sees them since it's always a flashback from his perspective, than rejecting those actions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's another line that indicates this, when he's in the mansion talking to Alfred. Alfred reminds him that the Waynes built their fortune like so many other American aristocratic families did: trading, mineral rights, etc. With some luck and initiative, they capitalized on it. Bruce is from a later generation, and is specifically characterized as someone who doesn't believe in chance. That story isn't good enough for him, to say they were pelt traders doesn't fit his mythology. He insists the Waynes were hunters. It's a glamorous distinction.

There's nothing special about the Waynes. Martha wasn't trying to deftly disarm the ruffian through god-given instincts through her superior breeding or whatever. She simply reacted. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and Bruce will never accept that. He sees the problem - the criminal element - and like any hardliner, he has contrived a very elaborate fantasy to solve the problem his way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

There's another line that indicates this, when he's in the mansion talking to Alfred. Alfred reminds him that the Waynes built their fortune like so many other American aristocratic families did: trading, mineral rights, etc. With some luck and initiative, they capitalized on it. Bruce is from a later generation, and is specifically characterized as someone who doesn't believe in chance. That story isn't good enough for him, to say they were pelt traders doesn't fit his mythology. He insists the Waynes were hunters. It's a glamorous distinction.

There's nothing special about the Waynes. Martha wasn't trying to deftly disarm the ruffian through god-given instincts through her superior breeding or whatever. She simply reacted. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and Bruce will never accept that. He sees the problem - the criminal element - and like any hardliner, he has contrived a very elaborate fantasy to solve the problem his way.

I don't think Martha was trying to disarm the ruffian while Thomas was trying to set up a flying back fist followed by an arm bar. I do like the idea that their fight or flight response goes with fight, even though they are not in a position for that to be a good idea. They act, which Bruce then reinterprets through his perspective and beliefs. In fact with a history so tied to Gotham, corruption of the truth and lying fit in perfectly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

That the Waynes respond by fighting back works well because it results in how, during Bruce's most formative moment, the last lesson his parents teach him is that the proper response to violence is violence.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Better to die like cattle, after all.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TFRazorsaw posted:

There is not a single reputable self defense instructor on the planet who will tell you that the appropriate response to someone pointing a gun at you and demanding your money is to start swinging.

Furthermore, literally all of Batman's problems in the film are caused by his single-minded belief that he must respond with violence, no matter how many cooler heads tell him otherwise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TFRazorsaw posted:

Your life is not worth your jewelry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

You really do not think through some of the things you post.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The multitude of Batman stories has the Wayne's die regardless of whether they defend themselves or not, and there's just as many where Joe Chill attacks them in spite of cooperation as there are where he gets spooked and has an "accident".

The point is that blaming murder victims for their own death is dumb.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Burkion posted:

You really do not think through some of the things you post.

Gotta go fast.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's not what anyone is saying, please reread the posts or something

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TFRazorsaw posted:

The multitude of Batman stories has the Wayne's die regardless of whether they defend themselves or not, and there's just as many where Joe Chill attacks them in spite of cooperation as there are where he gets spooked and has an "accident".

Who or what are you responding to?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Miscommunication drives me insane and it is the rule & law of these nerd threads.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mr. stefan posted:

Furthermore, literally all of Batman's problems in the film are caused by his single-minded belief that he must respond with violence, no matter how many cooler heads tell him otherwise.

On the other hand, everyone would have been hosed if Batman's continuous 18 month murder-rage hadn't pushed him to create that kryptonite spear which they used to kill Doomsday. Violence ended up saving the day after all!

Which just fuels my theory that Luthor planned everything to work out exactly as it did. :tinfoil:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the other hand, everyone would have been hosed if Batman's continuous 18 month murder-rage hadn't pushed him to create that kryptonite spear which they used to kill Doomsday. Violence ended up saving the day after all!

Which just fuels my theory that Luthor planned everything to work out exactly as it did. :tinfoil:

Batman's redemptive quality is that he plans for contingency.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Batman's redemptive quality is that he plans for contingency.

He's like a 45 year old murderous, spandex-clad boyscout.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There is nothing about how BvS that presents the Waynes' death as something where passivity could have saved them. The entanglement of the gun with the pearls sends a clear message that the robber is willing to take what he wants and take their lives at the same time. Resistance is the option for survival available at that point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TFRazorsaw posted:

Resistance is the option for survival available at that point.

They're Batman's parents, absolutely nothing could have saved them otherwise the rest of the movie wouldn't have happened. The entire point of their fictional existence is that they get shot in that alley.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So Fantastic Four just popped up on Netflix and I gave it a watch. After everything I'd heard, I had some pretty low expectations, and it still managed to disappoint. It really is just a mess of a movie. And not just the obviously tacked-on climax, either, although that did propel it to new heights of mediocrity. It all just fails to gel, and there were some astoundingly ugly scenes in there. Reed fighting the soldiers in the forest and then being confronted by Ben stood out in particular.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're Batman's parents, absolutely nothing could have saved them otherwise the rest of the movie wouldn't have happened. The entire point of their fictional existence is that they get shot in that alley.

I know that. But people are acting like even TRYING to save their own lives is an act that screwed Bruce up for decades, and that perhaps they should have died with quiet dignity rather than show their son any act of violence even in their own defense, and that its in fact THEIR fault that Bruce is a murderous vigilante. Never push back, even when the killer has shown he's going to kill you anyway - a point he made by sticking his gun under Martha's necklace and into her face.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How long has Batman been Batman? The main thing that makes me wonder is that there's some line about him and Alfred fighting crime for the past 20 years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

He's like a 45 year old murderous, spandex-clad boyscout.

Excuse yourself. Eagle Scout. What with all those "junior partners" he takes on.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I know that. But people are acting like even TRYING to save their own lives is an act that screwed Bruce up for decades, and that perhaps they should have died with quiet dignity rather than show their son any act of violence even in their own defense, and that its in fact THEIR fault that Bruce is a murderous vigilante. Never push back, even when the killer has shown he's going to kill you anyway - a point he made by sticking his gun under Martha's necklace and into her face.

Who is acting like that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How long has Batman been Batman? The main thing that makes me wonder is that there's some line about him and Alfred fighting crime for the past 20 years.

In this universe his parents were killed in 1981, so I guess he spent 15 years training and then the next 20 fighting crime or something like that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TFRazorsaw posted:

There is nothing about how BvS that presents the Waynes' death as something where passivity could have saved them. The entanglement of the gun with the pearls sends a clear message that the robber is willing to take what he wants and take their lives at the same time. Resistance is the option for survival available at that point.

Did you see him scurrying away with a panicked look on his face? I'm not even sure he actually took any of their possessions with him. This wasn't a cold-blooded killer version of Joe Chill, this was a robber who wasn't expecting resistance.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TFRazorsaw posted:

The act that screwed Bruce up was watching his parents die. Their actions were irrelevant, an 8 year old boy watched his parents gunned down in an alley while he was left untouched and the murderer fled.

Though I guess it's true that if they had any sense at all they would have used their vast wealth and ownership of a technological industry that would rival Stark's to be prepared for such a situation. Made it so when those pearls break disorienting ninja smoke gas is released and they quickly disappear. I mean, it's all so clear if you just think like a paranoid rich guy who watched his parents get gunned down when he was a child.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Excuse yourself. Eagle Scout. What with all those "junior partners" he takes on.

Who is acting like that?

the person who said this:

quote:

That the Waynes respond by fighting back works well because it results in how, during Bruce's most formative moment, the last lesson his parents teach him is that the proper response to violence is violence.

Mierenneuker posted:

Did you see him scurrying away with a panicked look on his face? I'm not even sure he actually took any of their possessions with him. This wasn't a cold-blooded killer version of Joe Chill, this was a robber who wasn't expecting resistance.

I imagine he didn't take any of their possessions because they now littered the ground and the heat was already on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TFRazorsaw posted:

the person who said this:

That's a pretty serious misreading of what he said. He's not talking about what his parents "should have" done, that's the whole point. In a heated moment like that, things happen very quick. We aren't witnessing what happened. We are witnessing Bruce's slow-mo IMAX fantasy of his formative moment. Think about how you spent hours in middle school coming up with the perfect thing to say to some jerkoff in the playground before you take him off his feet with a punch to the throat or whatever. It doesn't matter that that it would never happen, because that's not what a fantasy is about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Batman's whole thing is that he is Oedipus who never completed his complex.

• Locked thread