Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
Is there any reason to track down bravely default if you are really liking the second one? I would guess that the QOL improvements, this story is poo poo, reused assets etc. would say no, but hot mama this game is fun as hell and I want more game like it

e:also its really expensive, holy poo poo

tenderjerk fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having not played the sequel yet Bravely Default is like my top 2 or 3 favorite 3DS games so I'd say it's worth it yeah.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The combat is more refined in BS, but there's more stuff to challenge you in different ways in BD.

e: I say "more refined" but it's still really good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What Japanese developer out there makes RPGs that aren't cringe-inducing spank fodder starring under-dressed teenagers, but do spend a buck on localization? Falcom is one and From Software is another.

Square? I never got the impression their localizations were cheap or half-assed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Someone didn't play Type-0. The dubbing is horrendous.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Courier, like the Bhaalspawn and the Watcher, has to be the centre of the universe because in a number of WRPGs your allies are completely optional and you can complete the game solo. Though that gives me the idea for a story-driven RPG where you can go out of your way to avoid people and still finish the game. You could finish Alpha Protocol without once ever meeting SIE and the plot still made sense. Maybe a game could give you the option to achieve your goals while leaving the cast in the dark to your existence.

I don't think that's entirely the reason. I just think it's a case of the general philosophy of WRPGs, where the player can do or determine everything. They design most everything to have a sense of freedom that the player chooses from, so it makes sense that the narratives usually also focus on that angle to enforce that feeling that you're character is the one that has strength in that world.

tenderjerk posted:

Is there any reason to track down bravely default if you are really liking the second one? I would guess that the QOL improvements, this story is poo poo, reused assets etc. would say no, but hot mama this game is fun as hell and I want more game like it

e:also its really expensive, holy poo poo

I wouldn't say the story is poo poo, just has a hard pill to swallow when you hear about what it does, but past that hurdle it actually does neat things.

The gameplay is basically the same, so yeah if you love the sequel I'd absolutely say check out the first (unless you were just really in love with Yew/Magnolia). BS does spoil the entire game though sadly, but it's still a fun ride, especially the endgame/postgame.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seriously, what is with the Lum avatars?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone has spent $690 dollars buying them for ADTRW posters.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone has spent $690 dollars buying them for ADTRW posters.

they're not the hero we need, nor the hero we deserve, but drat if they aren't something at least

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i don't like lum

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

voltcatfish posted:

i don't like lum

Viz's localization of the Lum comics was good and funny.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

I don't think that's entirely the reason. I just think it's a case of the general philosophy of WRPGs, where the player can do or determine everything. They design most everything to have a sense of freedom that the player chooses from, so it makes sense that the narratives usually also focus on that angle to enforce that feeling that you're character is the one that has strength in that world.

That's why I like factions and stuff. Since New Vegas was brought up, I liked that, while you were very important, you weren't really the leader in any ending except one. Other than Wild Car, you're just a pretty good soldier for Caesar/ the NCR or Mr. House's faithful buddy. You don't rule New Vegas, you just prop up someone else to rule.

Plus, its easy to see how things would go even if the Courier had just died. House would have been a non-factor and the Legion would have won at Hoover Dam.

Then of course Skyrim has its Civil War but apparently being the legendary Dragonborn wasn'tenough for some people, hence the High King mod. Me personally, I'm fine with helping Ulfric win.

My power fantasy is satisfied with being able to throw fireballs or shout trolls off mountains, I don't need to prop up my PC as the king or whatever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You might as well be asking why in every RPG, "why is the player's character some mary sue solving everyone's problems?" ... Because that's how games often work. JRPG's and WRPG's aren't different in that sense. One way or another, you follow the story of a fated group or individual who does a lot of important stuff because if they didn't, there wouldn't be much game to actually do.

That said, the "power of friendship" thing is definitely more common in JRPG's. It happens in some WRPG's (uniting everyone in a big fight against the demons in NWN2 vanilla, uniting the Galaxy against the reapers in Mass Effect, etc) but those are more the exceptions.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

i don't like lum

Jesus CHrist.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I do like RPGs where the player character isn't any sort of chosen one or member of some special privileged group, but rather just some dude who ends up in positions of importance simply by virtue of being somewhat competent. Gothic 2 is an example of this -- basically the first task is to find a way to enter the nearby town, as the guards at the gate have orders to turn away anyone who looks like some random riff-raff (e.g. you). After that, you're supposed to deliver a critically important letter to the military commander, but they won't let your poor rear end into the bourgeois section of town unless you get a job. There's actually a chosen one trope somewhere in the story but absolutely nobody believes that you're anything more than riff-raff until like 85% of the game is done.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why is SMT IV Final carrying the IV moniker?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because it's IV but more

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

'Cause it's a kinda-sequel to SMT IV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Why is SMT IV Final carrying the IV moniker?

It began life as a Maniax-style update before they decided to carry it forward but it's still recycling a lot of the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pleasant surprise. I thought this whole time it was just a remaster of IV and never clicked the previews until today after seeing the talk about the power of friendship. Definitely pumped now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What Japanese developer out there makes RPGs that aren't cringe-inducing spank fodder starring under-dressed teenagers, but do spend a buck on localization? Falcom is one and From Software is another.

Nintendo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Pleasant surprise. I thought this whole time it was just a remaster of IV and never clicked the previews until today after seeing the talk about the power of friendship. Definitely pumped now.

It's a new game that diverges and continues on from IV partway down the Neutral route.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

I do like RPGs where the player character isn't any sort of chosen one or member of some special privileged group, but rather just some dude who ends up in positions of importance simply by virtue of being somewhat competent. Gothic 2 is an example of this -- basically the first task is to find a way to enter the nearby town, as the guards at the gate have orders to turn away anyone who looks like some random riff-raff (e.g. you). After that, you're supposed to deliver a critically important letter to the military commander, but they won't let your poor rear end into the bourgeois section of town unless you get a job. There's actually a chosen one trope somewhere in the story but absolutely nobody believes that you're anything more than riff-raff until like 85% of the game is done.

I don't like chosen ones either, but I definitely like the protagonist being part of Some Group. Unaffiliation is boring. When you have a preexisting context for your interactions with the world seeing how people react to you and you to them becomes infinitely more entertaining. WRPGs often start you out an unaffiliated blank slate for the purposes of allowing you to choose a side but I'd appreciate it much more if you started on a side already and maybe, maybe could switch it later but only with difficulty.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

as bad as mars war logs was it was kinda neat how the mc was a character in the world before you played him. he has a past, a defined personality and a lot of people you meet in the game know him already. you never become the all important guy either, your just involved in a lovely power struggle in a lovely place where lovely people use you for their ends. it was kinda well done

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I don't like chosen ones either, but I definitely like the protagonist being part of Some Group. Unaffiliation is boring. When you have a preexisting context for your interactions with the world seeing how people react to you and you to them becomes infinitely more entertaining. WRPGs often start you out an unaffiliated blank slate for the purposes of allowing you to choose a side but I'd appreciate it much more if you started on a side already and maybe, maybe could switch it later but only with difficulty.

So kinda like Dragon Age Origins but not exactly.

But what you said is more or less what I'm hoping for DA4. It's gonna be set in Tevinter and I can already guess at the factions we can choose from. A Slave Origin will probably be a thing and, depending on how that's handled, the faction you'll probably be closer to is the "Dorian" group trying to revolutionize the country.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

I like Trails in the Sky's thing where being a Bracer is a catch-all for cop, courier and mercenary so you have all the writing excuse necessary to go and do whatever.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like Trails in the Sky's thing where being a Bracer is a catch-all for cop, courier and mercenary so you have all the writing excuse necessary to go and do whatever.

Holy moly, Tales of Graces F has one of the least compelling casts of any Tales game I've played. Maybe I expect too much from them now after having played stars like Abyss, Vesperia and the Destiny remake but I'm really struggling to keep going with it. Doesn't help that I don't care for these battle systems that use CC rather than regular HP/TP like the older games. I may just have bad opinions and rose tinted glasses, though, since I played an hour or two of Xillia to see if I'd like it more than Graces and while the story/presentation is at least better the whole link battle thing makes the combat dreadful for me.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Verranicus posted:

Holy moly, Tales of Graces F has one of the least compelling casts of any Tales game I've played. Maybe I expect too much from them now after having played stars like Abyss, Vesperia and the Destiny remake but I'm really struggling to keep going with it. Doesn't help that I don't care for these battle systems that use CC rather than regular HP/TP like the older games. I may just have bad opinions and rose tinted glasses, though, since I played an hour or two of Xillia to see if I'd like it more than Graces and while the story/presentation is at least better the whole link battle thing makes the combat dreadful for me.

How did you enjoy Destiny Remake when you just said you didn't like the CC systems? IMO the story and characters weren't a lot much better than Graces anyways.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Davincie posted:

as bad as mars war logs was it was kinda neat how the mc was a character in the world before you played him. he has a past, a defined personality and a lot of people you meet in the game know him already. you never become the all important guy either, your just involved in a lovely power struggle in a lovely place where lovely people use you for their ends. it was kinda well done

Well I have some good and bad news for you then.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
How can a tales game with Sophie and pascal be considered be a bad cast

The problem with Graces was the story, not the characters (it is a mixture of the best and worst tales charcaters imho)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Asbel sucks, Hubert's a drag, and Malik is kind of boring until the future arc (that part in general salvages a lot of the characters, really). There are certainly some standouts in the rest but it's not a slam dunk across the board.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't like Pascal but generally if a character is introduced making repeated jokes about molesting a child they really have to be exceptional for me to end up liking them.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't like Pascal but generally if a character is introduced making repeated jokes about molesting a child they really have to be exceptional for me to end up liking them.
relax friend, Sophie is a robot alien and not a little girl

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Amppelix posted:

Yeah I don't mind affiliation so long as it's not to some super-important group that universally (or almost universally) commands respect and obedience, as I feel that sort of setup washes away potentially interesting interactions and allows the writers to be exceptionally lazy about how the MC connects with various societies (also, it's honestly been overused over the last decade and needs to go away for a while regardless of its merits). It's fine to have the MC be part of an intricate web of co-operation and competition between groups, but haven't we had enough MCs who are seen as a sort of apex figure of society and who must be engaged, respected or feared by everyone?

In my view, that setup isn't much different from being a chosen one. The chosen one is a very special person who must be engaged by everyone on the basis that his job is to save the world, which benefits everyone. The super-policeman is also a very important person who must be engaged by everyone on the basis that the group performs a vital function in society (for people who respect the group) or on the basis that the group has the power to seriously punish people who mistreat its agents (for those who dislike the group).

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 2, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Too many sucker MCs out there if you ask me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Lot of potential fans of The Bard here talking about turning the story of the Chosen One on its head by making it a sham to get idiots to kill themselves fighting monsters because they believe they're special heroes in a RPG.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ventana posted:

How did you enjoy Destiny Remake when you just said you didn't like the CC systems? IMO the story and characters weren't a lot much better than Graces anyways.

I guess I just have a soft spot for 2D tales, especially one as polished as Destiny Remake.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

I've been meaning to play Arc the Lad I+II, which is really just one long game. How grindy is it? Is it really easy to miss stuff? Why is the rest of the series not so regarded?

It is very easy to miss stuff in Arc the Lad 1 and 2. The sidequests in both games are both very grindy, but for the most part you don't have to grind for the main plot unless you want to keep your characters evenly leveled in 1 and then some at the end of the game in 2. I really liked the overall tone and some of the combat improvements in 3 but that game also has extremely terrible dungeons. 4 is only slightly related to the first three and has some neat ideas when it comes to plot but combat is much slower than the first 3 games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished BOF3 and can't say I was all that impressed. It felt like I had to constantly wrestle with various gameplay mechanics, whether it was the encounter rate, or the master system (why should I have to truck on back to every master to get my skills?). Even the camera was a chore to work with at times. The story is whatever, basically a non-factor without much meat to it but ultimately inoffensive as well. Like I guess it kind of felt like a Dragon Quest without the charm? Fun fishing game, though.

Given these impressions, should I still give BOF4 a try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

4 is a very good game but the minigames really take you out of it sometimes.