Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Milky Ren posted:

Shiny new username, same old Infinity stuff:

(forgot to post this one. Failed dismally in a contest over on r/minipainting but was still fun to paint)

I tried to avoid using the airbrush as much as possible with these two, in favour of practising with a wet palette, but I've ended up being too timid with the transitions and it's left them a bit lacking contrast-wise.

I think your contrast problem is more with your cool color palette than your transitions. You're a loving stellar painter though, these are incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

I did a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r29R6ExH_p0

Basically I took the Forge World Working with Resin Models pamphlet and went through all the tools they suggest, added a few of my own suggestions and decided halfway through the recording that I'll need to make a part 2 and part 3 to this video.

Hey, this needs more love. Not only is this really cool, but your review of Ammo by Mig was ace. Just got a copy thanks to your review. Top notch stuff!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

BULBASAUR posted:

Hey, this needs more love. Not only is this really cool, but your review of Ammo by Mig was ace. Just got a copy thanks to your review. Top notch stuff!

Thanks! I really really wish the audio wasn't so variable, I had a mic malfunction and didn't realize it until I had done a few hour's worth of videos. Please let me know if it takes away from the video or information at all. I was on the fence about re-recording the whole thing for days, and then just said screw it, let's just get it made. I needed to have this one done before posting the many unbagging videos I have for some FW models I'll be building.

Also you'd be doing me a huge favor if you posted on the Ammo FB that my video encouraged you to get his book - I was trying to tell Mig at a recent trade show that he could do with a lot more wargamer-oriented stuff, right now they only have 1 book aimed at Flames of War players doing 15mm tanks, but they're expanding into other stuff like Gundam/Gunpla as well with brighter colors and a space ship color set so I think wargaming is next for them.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
what's the smallest practical stuff you can paint with an airbrush? I'm about to try doing the basecoat on a bunch of guardsmen! This is with a Neo for Iwata sporting a 0.35mm nozzle

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
A Patriot 105 can get down to a few millimeters across with a steady hand, a close spraying distance and low air pressure, that has a 0.4mm needle, a smaller needle can get down to the width of a hair with practice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

Thanks! I really really wish the audio wasn't so variable, I had a mic malfunction and didn't realize it until I had done a few hour's worth of videos. Please let me know if it takes away from the video or information at all. I was on the fence about re-recording the whole thing for days, and then just said screw it, let's just get it made. I needed to have this one done before posting the many unbagging videos I have for some FW models I'll be building.

Also you'd be doing me a huge favor if you posted on the Ammo FB that my video encouraged you to get his book - I was trying to tell Mig at a recent trade show that he could do with a lot more wargamer-oriented stuff, right now they only have 1 book aimed at Flames of War players doing 15mm tanks, but they're expanding into other stuff like Gundam/Gunpla as well with brighter colors and a space ship color set so I think wargaming is next for them.

I noticed the audio, but it wasn't enough to annoy me. I listened through it all (albeit I skipped around a little bit, since I knew most of that stuff already).

Posted on their facebook. Hopefully they approve it. Thanks again!

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
I'm in the middle of painting some tanks! Well, a tank, right now.

I'm using Zandri Dust to paint it, but when I'm finished with that coat, I want to give it a kind of metallic look. Should I just use the Drakenhof Nightshade shade, or just try highlighting it with something else (say, a grey/silver color)?

Or should I just get some completely different paints?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Well what do you mean by metallic? Also, have you used washes on vehicles before? If you wash the whole vehicle you'll get some really gross wash pooling and use a buttload of wash while you're at it.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
That's a good point. I guess I'm thinking of going for a look like, "hey, this was painted this color, but wear and tear has made it look like the grey has started to show through".

(Which would have been a lot easier if I had gone with Mechanicum Standard Grey base coat, or something similar)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
You can get a pretty good chipped-paint effect with a sponge.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can get a pretty good chipped-paint effect with a sponge.

I'm an idiot. How do I do that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Brewsuke posted:

I'm an idiot. How do I do that?

Dip sponge in paint, dap on model. If you've got any of the foam from blisters or cutouts from model cases or w/e it'll work great.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dab it on some kitchen roll before the model, it'll look a lot better built up gradually with not much paint on the sponge

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

A Patriot 105 can get down to a few millimeters across with a steady hand, a close spraying distance and low air pressure, that has a 0.4mm needle, a smaller needle can get down to the width of a hair with practice.

That sounds great, I'll get to practicing!

Also, never not link this video when people ask how to weather tanks
https://youtu.be/gyuPxJG5kFc

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Frobbe posted:

what's the smallest practical stuff you can paint with an airbrush? I'm about to try doing the basecoat on a bunch of guardsmen! This is with a Neo for Iwata sporting a 0.35mm nozzle

Don't forget that a water-based liquid mase and/or model masking tape can help you out a lot if you're only wanting to hit a small area. For instance, going back and doing the skin basecoat after you've already painted the armour and helmet.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Don't forget that a water-based liquid mase and/or model masking tape can help you out a lot if you're only wanting to hit a small area. For instance, going back and doing the skin basecoat after you've already painted the armour and helmet.

My uncle is/was a motorcycle pinstriper/painter and he used to use those French curve tools with his airbrush. He'd get ones with smaller holes than the example I'm posting, but if he needed to hit a very small area with little chance for overspray, he'd use the french curve as a shield and match the area he needed coverage on with an appropriately sized hole on the template.

I'm breaking out my airbrush for the first time this weekend and I already had it in my mind to get a set of those to use for curved surfaces, lighting effects and highlighting small areas.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Agreed. Definitely buy a pot of masking fluid if you intend to use an airbrush for detail work. Just make sure to pay attention to the label and don't leave it on a model for more than a few hours, otherwise bad things will happen to your nice paintjob when you try to remove the mask.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm planning on using an airbrush to paint some robes white with red trim.

Does anyone have any particular whites or reds that they recommend? I heard those colors are particularly difficult to work with and I'd like to at least use good paint.

The place I live is too dry for wet blending, so I'd like something that works well airbrushed or in a glaze.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
It's more oriented towards brush-painting, but see my list of recommended paints: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3705692&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post451418381

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Good info, thank you.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

These are some of the first non sci fi or fantasy models I've ever painted. Still not totally sure on color schemes. I'll clean the tide marks up with the airbrush once I do some more weathering.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Any suggestions for painting Firestorm Armada miniatures? It's been years and I'm used to painting 40K figurines.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Obligatory oath thread crosspost incoming! Say hello to Kaarvok and Usk, my orc wizards for my Frostgrave warband-in-progress.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The challenge this month is Freehand, at which I am terrible. Said freehand is barely perceptible on the back of the wizard's cloak.

(The freehand in this case was done as kind of an experiment; I painted the cloak in VMC Black Red, shaded it, then painted the skull on in varying shades of grey. The final step was an overspray of Citadel Mephiston Red, which muted the underlying grey tones and made it look more like a faded design on the cloth. Sadly, I overdid it and then had to head out to a thing, leaving little time to fix it. But I'll remember to tweak this technique for future models; I rather like the effect!)

I know approximately what I did wrong with the freehand on the cloak; I'll likely try it in a more contrasting color next time, to make the paint under the layers of airbrushing more obvious.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

uhhhh oath x-post, though it should probably go in the uninspiration thread

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

OATH COMPLETE

THEME - Impasto Impressionism - by way of BACKSTORY

So, I wanted a super ambitious challenge this month, and I'm gonna give a different sort of ambitious backstory.

My family has this weird untrained artist streak in them. My Grandma had 8 kids (catholic), and who knows how many grand kids/ my cousins. A huge percentage of us do some art although except for one insanely talented cousin none of us actually has any training whatsoever. Grandma was my first connection with art. I remember her painting on warm Georgia summer afternoons. She painted a lot of still lifes, but what stuck with me were her impasto impressionist figure paintings. Wildly blocky with splashes of pastels and vivid colors. Back before I knew what impressionism was those paintings stuck with me.

Applying this to a miniature, however. Yikes. I tried just sort of stippling on unthinned paint, but that ended in a pretty cool watercolor look as I was essentially just wet blending the insanely thin Reaper paints I use. No, what I need to do was :siren:thicken my paints:siren: So with some super heavy gloss gel, some incredibly thick paints, and size 4 flat brush I set to work. It was a pretty frustrating experience trying to get it to be sloppy and flowing without being too sloppy incoherent. Did it work? Ehhhh. I'm not sure it looks good, but it was pretty much exactly what I was imagining.

Sadly, my aunts and uncles took all the impasto impressionist paintings when she passed, but I've got a few painting of flowers hanging about including this one in my hallway:

Thanks everyone for a great oath thread! This year I've figured out some super technical stuff and grown a lot.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Interesting but rather terrifying

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

You take that back! The first impression* I had looking at this mini was "van Gogh." I honestly thought you'd used oils and a very small trowel to get that textured-canvas effect. It's a great experiment and a unique look, and I love it!

* That didn't start life as a pun, I promise

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Crossposting from the 40k thread.

First model of May finished and it's also the second model I finished this week. I'm on a very vague roll here. :woop:
Also Scion heads work really well on Cadian bodies once you've cut down their neck bulge a little.
Only one officer left to do for now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: THE NEW OATH THREAD IS LIVE AND WAITING! :siren:

The Oath Thread, Season 7: Always Be Painting (Your Gaming/Figure Models)

Get your stuff painted! Be motivated! Win prizes!

The Oath Thread is a year-long thread (Today, the 1st of May to the last day of April 2017) that lets you collect points for painting your models each month. At the end of the year the points are totalled up and the top scorers get their pick of fantastic sponsor prizes from companies like KR Multicase, Wargames Tournaments and more!

You can paint one model at a time, or entire squads, teams or groups. You can drop in and drop out at any time if all you want to do is get your stuff painted, and the rules are easy to read and we're quite an inclusive bunch.

Drop in and say hi, and get your stuff painted!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
You can also get easy chipped paint and dirt effects with a stiff boar-bristle brush. They are super-cheap too!

So I haven't painted in a while, and find myself with some time off of work. I'm gonna knock out my Red Hunters army next week, it's the battle of calth box set to start with, and three inquisitor units.

I bring this up because I paint faster then any human on the planet. Last league I participated in at the end of the eight weeks I had painted 2,250 points of KoS Orks (60 boyz, 20 'are boyz, 5 trukks, battle wagon, two deff dreads, 15 warbikes, warboss in bike and foot, pain it and big Mek.)

I finished early so I also painted up 1,850 points worth of terrain themed Imp Guard. (Wall of martyrs set, 50 PDF troops, 27 heavy/special weapon troops, command, 10 bullgryn, chimera and russ.)

All told in eight weeks 150 troops, 10 vehicles, 10 terrain pieces, 25 large models, and 9 character models. (200+models total.) all get pics, but they are all a decent table-top quality.

Would there be any interest on a speed painting tutorial? I wouldn't mind doing it, I've done speed demos a lot at various FLGS. I only ask because it will slow me down just a little to take pics and do a decent write up of each step.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

malal posted:

Would there be any interest on a speed painting tutorial? I wouldn't mind doing it, I've done speed demos a lot at various FLGS. I only ask because it will slow me down just a little to take pics and do a decent write up of each step.

Sure

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

malal posted:

Sounds interesting.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Due to a (bad) idea I had when somewhat under the influence, I've embarked on my first bit of real sculpting - customising a new mount for my KoW Berserker Lord...

Posing on the mighty steed (as it was when it arrived);

Armoured chestplate progress;

Started on the leather strapping;

After the leather's done and cured, I'll be attaching 'pauldrons' which splay out from the chestplate, and modelling on a helmet and gorget, as well as some more bits around the saddle and legs.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Dr. Gargunza posted:

You take that back! The first impression* I had looking at this mini was "van Gogh." I honestly thought you'd used oils and a very small trowel to get that textured-canvas effect. It's a great experiment and a unique look, and I love it!

* That didn't start life as a pun, I promise

Thanks, Broseph.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

LazyAngel posted:

Due to a (bad) idea I had when somewhat under the influence, I've embarked on my first bit of real sculpting - customising a new mount for my KoW Berserker Lord...

So a drunken night ending in you making a sparrow in full plate barding for a Bezerker Lord to ride?

I fail to see how this is a "bad" idea. "Baller as gently caress" idea may perhaps be a bit more apropos.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

malal posted:

So a drunken night ending in you making a sparrow in full plate barding for a Bezerker Lord to ride?

I fail to see how this is a "bad" idea. "Baller as gently caress" idea may perhaps be a bit more apropos.

Mildy-tipsy at best, but yes, that's pretty much it.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I'm trying to work out how to make the bodies on these little guys more interesting/striking. They are more saturated in colour in real life but I may as well turn into a giant incompetent question mark when trying to take accurate photos of miniatures.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

I'm trying to work out how to make the bodies on these little guys more interesting/striking. They are more saturated in colour in real life but I may as well turn into a giant incompetent question mark when trying to take accurate photos of miniatures.

Honestly, I wouldn't. The sharp splash of color for the eyes and teeth, mixed with the color fade to the tails and wing tips make for a really good contrast.

If you really feel they need more on the bodies, I'd just add a highlight that's one or maybe two at the most on the shade scale onto the blue.

As for accurate photos, either invest in natural light bulbs and a photo station (a child's science project trip-tych with bounce boards behind it does the trick,) or just take photos outside with the light source behind you. Dawn/dusk works best.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

LazyAngel posted:

Posing on the mighty steed (as it was when it arrived);

Armoured chestplate progress;

Started on the leather strapping;

After the leather's done and cured, I'll be attaching 'pauldrons' which splay out from the chestplate, and modelling on a helmet and gorget, as well as some more bits around the saddle and legs.

Oh mah gawd I am in love with this.

How hard would it be to make actual armor for actual birds??

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Oh mah gawd I am in love with this.

How hard would it be to make actual armor for actual birds??

Do you want them to be able to fly in it or to clank around on the floor confused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lethemonster posted:

Do you want them to be able to fly in it or to clank around on the floor confused?

Well if you just armor ostriches, this problem solves itself!

Although now I am imagining a WWI carrier pigeon with a tiny pickelhaube and gorget. :3