Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Awesone posted:

~1750 Likes on Facebook atm.

... that's an advertisement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
:lol: Der unten links.

Awesone
Aug 3, 2011
My point is that they use the phrase "Jetzt erst recht!" unironically and try to gain more votes and sympathy(?).

I never really understood the point of those aggressively dismissive articles, posts and (especially) demonstrations.
Like if you agree with the the right party, you won't be convinced to suddenly vote left and vice versa. Also, I can't see the undecisive middle being convinced by those either.

That behaviour only seems to divide Austria further...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Lagerwahlkampf hat Tradition. Siehe wieder Waldheim.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Awesone posted:

My point is that they use the phrase "Jetzt erst recht!" unironically and try to gain more votes and sympathy(?).

I never really understood the point of those aggressively dismissive articles, posts and (especially) demonstrations.
Like if you agree with the the right party, you won't be convinced to suddenly vote left and vice versa. Also, I can't see the undecisive middle being convinced by those either.

My point is that of course they try to use the phrase that way, but that doesn't mean it's successful, or more successful than any other phrase would have been. Hammerstein claimed that making fun of right wing idiots would give them more votes, I want to see some support for that.

And the point of dismissiveness is that idiots have to be shamed into changing, and that only works if society as a whole makes it clear to them that their rhetoric is unacceptable.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Awesone posted:

In Ö. hat es traditionell nie linke Mehrheiten gegeben. Solche Effekte gäbe es nie unter linken Vorzeichen. Parteien die dieses relativ große Reservoir an sozial konservativen und anti-establishment Wählern ansprechen wollen, müssen ihre Message nur geringfügig anpassen. Der Schulterschluss durch den Druck aus dem Ausland ist bei Waldheim ebenso wie in den ersten Jahren von Schwarz-Blau ziemlich gut in der Fachliteratur abgehandelt worden.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I don't think he asked for proof that butthurt babies exist. Rather, that outrage over satire of right wing parties has impacted election results for them in a meaningful and positive manner.

1750 likes is nothing, but then again it's an ongoing case so looking at previous examples would be more helpful.

e: too slow. But let me add:

Awesone posted:

Because not speaking up against this behavior helps legitimize it and also because making fun of dipshits for their dipshit opinions is actually funny.
If this serves to shame people who share these dipshit opinions into silence that's even better.

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 27, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I still remember how my flatmate, whom I'd otherwise classify as a Green or SPÖ voter (though I never asked), could rant about Joschka Fischer and the "unfairness" of the international reaction at the ÖVP-FPÖ coalition for what felt like hours.

I don't believe that international criticism and jokes at the expense of Austria will sway anyone into voting for Hofer, though. Both the Waldheim affair and the 1999 election were followed by actual diplomatic measures of other states directed against Austria, like Israel recalling their ambassador in both cases, Waldheim being refused entry to the US or the EU refusing bilateral cooperation with the black/blue coalition - in all cases there were actual steps taken by others against Austria. There's none of that today, just lots of worried press coverage, which imo isn't enough to provoke the same reaction as back then.

(Not to forget that the political landscape of 2016 Austria is utterly different from 1986 or even 2000, of course)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
WhatsApp vom Vater: "War nur ein Warnschuss am vergangenen Sonntag. Jetzt kriegt VdB die Stimme".

Ich frag mich, wie viele Hoferwähler so denken.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

WhatsApp vom Vater: "War nur ein Warnschuss am vergangenen Sonntag. Jetzt kriegt VdB die Stimme".

Ich frag mich, wie viele Hoferwähler so denken.

Protestwähler sind nichts wirklich Neues.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 28, 2016

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Beim Wählen wird die Wut rausgelassen!
http://werners.ytmnd.com/

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Riso posted:

:lol: Der unten links.

Those kids and their memes

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is this supposed to be mocking traditional families? Because that looks pretty great.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Riso posted:

Is this supposed to be mocking traditional families? Because that looks pretty great.

This cover is pretty genius, it shows the conservative lifestyle ideal and you have to figure out what's wrong with the picture yourself.

brb, signing up for FAW

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Shouldn't she be wearing a dirndl

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

Shouldn't she be wearing a dirndl

Dear God I think her knees are visible.

get that hosed up poo poo out of my sight Jesus is there nothing sacred

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ArchangeI posted:

Dear God I think her knees are visible.

get that hosed up poo poo out of my sight Jesus is there nothing sacred

Taking the lord's name in vain, punishable according to § 166.

Take him away.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Riso posted:

Fallout 4 prewar DLC looking good.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The AfD-Parteitag on Phoenix owns. The party is so filled with mentally ill Querulanten that the chairman has to have people physically removed from the microphones.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Smirr posted:

The AfD-Parteitag on Phoenix owns. The party is so filled with mentally ill Querulanten that the chairman has to have people physically removed from the microphones.

I'm pretty curious which program they'll finally agree on. They'll have a hell of the time squaring their neoliberal roots with the high number of poorer people among their base.

Edit: Ahaha, well that's a new word filter. Neoliberal is what I meant. :allears:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 30, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Benutzer wurde für diesen Beitrag Bewährung gegeben

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

n-word roots would also have been fitting.

Also, I get the distinct impression the angry men in the audience are going to coup Petry before long. Pretty unenthusiastic reception there. Also, check out these hot takes:

https://twitter.com/KahlenbergsErbe/status/726378878965551104

https://twitter.com/AfD_Austria/status/726379272445825024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Smirr posted:

n-word roots would also have been fitting.

Also, I get the distinct impression the angry men in the audience are going to coup Petry before long. Pretty unenthusiastic reception there. Also, check out these hot takes:

Case in point, Zeit's interview with Gauland:

http://www.zeit.de/2016/17/alexander-gauland-afd-cdu-konservatismus posted:

Gauland:[...] Die Frage ist doch: Können diese Deutschen eine Krise überstehen, so wie Sie sie jetzt schildern, so ökologisch, feminin und weiß der Teufel was, all diese Dinge, die mir nicht so sympathisch sind ...

Goddamn wimmin messing with our Nationalstolz. :bahgawd:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Perestroika posted:

what if it's a ökologische Krise? checkmate afdailure :smugdog:

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Perestroika posted:

"Ich weiß aber nicht, warum ich auf etwas stolz sein soll, was ich nicht bewirkt habe."

There isn't a big enough ironicat.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wengy posted:

"Ich weiß aber nicht, warum ich auf etwas stolz sein soll, was ich nicht bewirkt habe."

There isn't a big enough ironicat.

Clearly you don't get it. It's all about re-becoming the greatness that Teutschland never wasn't.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The Real Foogla posted:

what if it's a ökologische Krise? checkmate afdailure :smugdog:

Ecological crises are lies spread by the homoliberal oppressor.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

AFD-Parteitag continues to be hilarious/horrifying:

http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/2016-05/afd-parteitag-stuttgart-islam-parteiprogramm posted:

Die anwesenden Mitglieder stimmten schließlich mit großer Mehrheit einem Antrag zu, der sagt, dass eine Aufklärung im Islam "nicht realistisch und nicht wünschenswert" sei. "Wenn wir gegen die Islamisierung des Abendlandes sind, dürfen wir nicht für die Verwestlichung des Islams eintreten", argumentierte unter Applaus Hans-Thomas Tillschneider, Landtagsabgeordneter in Sachsen-Anhalt und Sprecher der neurechten Patriotischen Plattform.

:downs:: "Islam is bad and that's why we don't want it here!"
:v:: "So how about we support reformation initiatives to make Islam less bad?"
:downs:: "No, because then Islam wouldn't be bad anymore and we would have no more reason to not want it here!"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Perestroika posted:

AFD-Parteitag continues to be hilarious/horrifying:

:downs:: "Islam is bad and that's why we don't want it here!"
:v:: "So how about we support reformation initiatives to make Islam less bad?"
:downs:: "No, because then Islam wouldn't be bad anymore and we would have no more reason to not want it here!"

Eine erfolgreiche Reichsprogrammnacht.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

God drat, some of those things......

quote:

Schon am gestrigen Samstag hatten die Delegierten heftig über ein generelles Verbot von Einwanderung gestritten. Nachdem die Teilnehmer des Parteitages am Samstagabend in ihr Parteiprogramm geschrieben hatten, "Einwanderung, insbesondere aus fremden Kulturbereichen", sei grundsätzlich abzulehnen, wiesen einige Mitglieder am Sonntag darauf hin, dass die AfD sich in ihrer Anfangsphase immer für eine kontrollierte Zuwanderung von Fachkräften nach dem Vorbild Kanadas eingesetzt habe. Von dieser Linie sollte man jetzt nicht abweichen. [...] Schlussendlich wurden einige am Vortag beschlossene radikale Formulierungen wieder gekippt. Stattdessen heißt es im Parteiprogramm jetzt: "Für den Arbeitsmarkt qualifizierte Einwanderer mit hoher Integrationsbereitschaft sind uns willkommen."

They whipped themselves up into such a frenzied hatejerk they got THIS close to turning full North Korea.

quote:

Petry konnte einen zusätzlichen Absatz durchdrücken, der die Kultur als Klammer des Politikverständnisses bezeichnet, und fordert, diese Kultur dürfe "nicht dem freien Spiel der Kräfte überlassen werden". Gegner halten das für "eine Ansammlung nichtssagender Phrasen".

:same:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

It's like listening to a person of average intelligence trying to say something smart about a topic they understand nothing about after a night of heavy drinking and/or several weeks without enough sleep. Which is probably what's actually happening

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Zukunft ist gut für alle.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
So, how long 'till I'll have to pretend I'm straight when I go back to Hamburg to see my family?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lunar Suite posted:

So, how long 'till I'll have to pretend I'm straight when I go back to Hamburg to see my family?

Judging by voting trends in the Hansestadt, I'd say you'll be just fine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
TTIP negotiations documents have been leaked to Greenpeace, who decided to share them with some of the German media. I'm looking forward to their release later today, but I wonder if German politicians leaked them. Didn't the Americans decide to share less intelligence with us because Bundestag members would often reveal those to the press?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Torrannor posted:

TTIP negotiations documents have been leaked to Greenpeace, who decided to share them with some of the German media. I'm looking forward to their release later today, but I wonder if German politicians leaked them. Didn't the Americans decide to share less intelligence with us because Bundestag members would often reveal those to the press?

German politicians did only have very limited access to the documents in the American Embassy with very strict restrictions on what they were allowed to do with regards to notes etc. I'd say it's safe to assume that someone in Brussels leaked them

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am sure a lot of people are disappointed that a new study shows the AfD is a party of the well-off and educated instead of unemployed proles.

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article154899202/Die-AfD-ist-eine-Partei-der-Besserverdiener-und-Gebildeten.html

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Riso posted:

I am sure a lot of people are disappointed that a new study shows the AfD is a party of the well-off and educated instead of unemployed proles.

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article154899202/Die-AfD-ist-eine-Partei-der-Besserverdiener-und-Gebildeten.html

*Based on data from 2014, when the AfD was still mostly an anti-Euro/bailout party and was led by Bernd Lucke and Olaf Henkel

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Riso posted:

Yeah that's old data and was reported back when it was new. The AfD started as a Salonfaschismus party, not sure why that would upset anybody though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Here's some more recent data: http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/2016-03/afd-analyse-erfolg-landtagswahlen-partei-waehler

quote:

Die AfD wird zu großen Teilen von jenen gewählt, die jahrzehntelang als sozialdemokratische Kernklientel galten – aber die SPD schon spätestens seit der schröderschen Agenda-Politik nicht mehr wählen, weil sie sich von ihr nicht mehr vertreten fühlen.[...] Unter Arbeitern und Arbeitslosen erzielte die AfD in allen drei Bundesländern herausragende Ergebnisse. In Sachsen-Anhalt wählte mehr als ein Drittel von ihnen AfD, in Baden-Württemberg fast 30 Prozent. Die noch bei den zurückliegenden Landtagswahlen, etwa in Brandenburg und Thüringen, starken Stimmengewinne bei den Selbstständigen nivellierten sich hingegen.

quote:

Brisant ist zudem: Nicht nur Bürger mit einfacher, sondern vor allem mit mittlerer Bildung haben die AfD gewählt. Damit gelingt es der Partei nicht nur, die Abgehängten zu mobilisieren, sondern auch Teile der Mittelschicht zu erreichen. Jene, die zwar nicht entkoppelt sind, aber dem Aufstiegsversprechen moderner Gesellschaften offenbar keinen Glauben mehr schenken und sich durch Veränderungen in erster Linie gefährdet sehen. Die Flüchtlingskrise scheint ihnen der Kulminationspunkt bedrohlicher Entwicklungen. Fast kein AfD-Wähler glaubt, dass die Bundesregierung die Lage in den Griff bekommt.

quote:

Bereits bei den letzten Landtagswahlen in Sachsen 2014 erklärte knapp die Hälfte der AfD-Wähler, dass sie sich selbst zu den Verlierern der gesellschaftlichen Entwicklung zählt. Unter den Sozialdemokraten waren dies gerade einmal 18 Prozent, unter den Linken weniger als ein Drittel. Im prosperierenden Baden-Württemberg blickten am Sonntag 35 Prozent der AfD-Wähler sorgenvoll auf die eigene wirtschaftliche Lage, während nur 21 Prozent von ihnen die allgemeine wirtschaftliche Lage als schlecht bewerten.

quote:

Die Wahl der AfD erfolgte vor allem aus Protest und Enttäuschung über "die Politik". Das bedeutet aber nicht, dass die Partei ein reines Protestvehikel ist, wie zuweilen behauptet. Ihre Wähler attestieren ihr durchaus Fähigkeiten in der Flüchtlingspolitik und der Bekämpfung von Kriminalität. Ein relevanter Teil der deutschen Bevölkerung hat offenbar etwas übrig für die rigorose Flüchtlingspolitik, den antiislamischen Kurs sowie die drastische Law-and-Order-Rhetorik der AfD.
Auffällig ist überdies, dass sich die Wählerschaft der AfD in ihrer Altersstruktur von anderen rechtspopulistischen oder -extremen Parteien in Europa unterscheidet. Während der Front National und auch die Freiheitlichen in Österreich insbesondere bei unter 25-Jährigen starke Ergebnisse erzielen, findet sich dieser Überhang der Jungen bei der AfD nicht. Unter den 18- bis 24-Jährigen schneidet die AfD vergleichsweise schlecht ab. Hohe Prozentzahlen erreicht sie vor allem in den mittleren Altersgruppen der 25- bis 44-Jährigen. In der Tradition der deutschen Rechtsaußenparteien ähnelt die AfD – zumindest in diesem Punkt – mehr den Republikanern als NPD und DVU.

quote:

Insgesamt zeigt sich: Der Aufstieg der AfD ist in erster Linie kein Ergebnis des Protests von prekären Randgruppen oder einer volatilen Jugend. Vielmehr hat sich am Sonntag eine radikalisierte Mitte dafür entschieden, ihre Stimme den rechten Populisten zu geben. Dass sich die AfD von rechtsradikalen Umtrieben nicht genug abgrenzt, wird zwar durchaus als Problem wahrgenommen. Doch an der Stimmabgabe änderte das offenbar nichts.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 2, 2016