Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

alg posted:

Interesting breakdown of just how insane the COC7 shipping costs were.

http://geekandsundry.com/cthulhu-company-kickstarted-itself-to-death-then-this-happened/

God-drat, that should be required reading for any physical goods kickstarters that people want to create. Newbies and established companies alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The quickstart for the new 7th Sea was released, and an early review doesn't look good.

Like, I'm pretty sure this was from Play Dirty:

quote:

One of the early scenes of the Quickstart featured a social scene between an NPC femme fatal type called the Black Cat and the characters. The writeup for the adventure has a couple of notes in it like singling out a character to give a response as you hold up five fingers and start counting down. I understand that sometimes players will waffle and take time to think of a response but I felt that this trick (which was used more than once in the Quickstart) was like slapping someone with a quick time event from out of the blue.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In happier news, the Battle Century G Kickstarter delivered the promised expansion book today. :toot:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The quickstart for the new 7th Sea was released, and an early review doesn't look good.

This was actually out during the Kickstarter, it's not new news. I'm surprised it doesn't bring up the ending duel where a PC is fairly likely to be steamrolled by the villain. Because the last thing you want is a casual demo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This was actually out during the Kickstarter, it's not new news. I'm surprised it doesn't bring up the ending duel where a PC is fairly likely to be steamrolled by the villain. Because the last thing you want is a casual demo.
Oh, I didn't realize. I just saw this linked today and didn't think to check the date.

Still, that fact doesn't surprise me. It's a Wick-ian game, after all.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Can someone explain to me, like you would explain to a child, why 7th Sea is such a big deal, or why it did so well on Kickstarter?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was the only pirate/swashbuckling game out for a very long time. People want a pirate/swashbuckler game and were initially just making due. Even in modern times there aren't very many pirate/swashbuckler games and 7th Sea has the benefit of nostalgia giving it inertia.

edit: Also one of it's most few pieces of competition is Poison'd and no one wants to be associated with Poison'd aside from possibly Forge diehards.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
on top of that there was a relatively successful CCG for a while that got a lot of people invested in the setting. The CCG had next to nothing to do with the setting as presented in the game, mind you, because it was about sailing and swashbuckling and the game was about landlocked secret societies and aliens.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has there ever been a well-reviewed quickstart?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

7th Sea is fairly unique as a "swashbucklers & sorcery" setting with an exceedingly detailed setting. The familiarity of the European stereotypes used makes it very approachable, and a lot of its schools and factions are legitimately fun and cool. Furthermore, it was mechanically progressive for when it came out - PCs couldn't die from a random roll of the dice, drawbacks were paid for by players (since they basically provided spotlighting), etc. It also followed on the coattails of Legend of the Five Rings' and John Wick's popularity at the time. It also had plenty of room to hit big, given the absence of D&D and general decline of White Wolf in the market at the time, with not a lot of big RPG releases to compete with it (other big releases of that year would be Star Trek, Hunter: the Reckoning, and All Flesh Must Be Eaten). It won an Origins award and had a modestly successful CCG that paralleled it.

It also had a lot of flaws, but I think other folks have elaborated on those enough.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 1, 2016

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

quote:

Comelasfoglia Studios says:

Dear friends,
I'm really sorry to have to manage this situation. I hope we can find soon a way to solve this problem, I'll keep you updated. As I told to many of you, our work is meant to be a tribute, a parodistic reinterpretation of an evident inspiration and long-life passion and we are sure we didn't break any law or right. A much easier way would have been changing the name from "Mario" to "Gino", inverting the colors or some other cheap tricks that are daily used by people with no imagination for squallid imitations (check google play store about that, for example), but we choose to reinterpretate and work out again every aspect trying to give you something brand new and, I hope, interesting and funny.

I want to thank all of you for your support, your enthusiastic comments and your exciting messages.

I have faith that I'll write you better news soon. Thanks for your patience.

Simone

Am I reading this wrong? Is this guy really saying that it would have been "easier" to change things than to just copy them wholesale?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

demota posted:

Am I reading this wrong? Is this guy really saying that it would have been "easier" to change things than to just copy them wholesale?

You're not, this person is insane or stupid as hell or both.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

edit: Also one of it's most few pieces of competition is Poison'd and no one wants to be associated with Poison'd aside from possibly Forge diehards.

I had to Google what this was about. Jesus Christ. :psyduck:

demota posted:

These people are incredibly dumb.

https://vimeo.com/161747185

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

moths posted:

Has there ever been a well-reviewed quickstart?

Yeah, the Delta Green quickstart they released is pretty decent for instance, and the Exalted 2E quickstart was good enough that some people prefer to play with it's rules than the full Exalted 2E ruleset.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scyther posted:

I had to Google what this was about. Jesus Christ. :psyduck:

These people are incredibly dumb.

https://vimeo.com/161747185

Is that a robot voice or did they pick a narrator who spoke English as a third language?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As someone from that game, I can tell you that the GM read that bit and decided it wasn't worth running Part 2. :v:

Mitama fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 1, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
7th Sea was mostly successful, I am pretty sure, because they offered 40 PDFs for $40. It was an absolutely crazy deal.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

neaden posted:

Yeah, the Delta Green quickstart they released is pretty decent for instance, and the Exalted 2E quickstart was good enough that some people prefer to play with it's rules than the full Exalted 2E ruleset.

These were the exact two examples I was thinking of. The adventure in DG has a pretty good chance of badly damaging or killing one of the PCs, but that's exactly what you expect from DG. I've run it twice and it's gone pretty well both times.

The 2e one, while I modified it a little, was the only time I ran Exalted 2e.

The Vampire: the Requiem one (while I didn't run it) seemed pretty solid on a read-through as an introduction the game both mechanically and thematically.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 1, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The VtR one (Reap the Whirlwind) was absolutely a nightmare of poo poo to run in a Free RPG Day / con slot for new players. We spent the first hour explaining the setting, then the adventure itself is just a list of thirty NPCs with their motives and plots.

It's definitely a good campaign-starter, but garbage as an intro.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Reap the Whirlwind was the post-God Machine update one, right?

I was thinking of the one from the initial release of VtR, with new vampires being embraced in New Orleans and having to figure out who did it and why. I forget the name.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sionak posted:

I was thinking of the one from the initial release of VtR, with new vampires being embraced in New Orleans and having to figure out who did it and why. I forget the name.

The one where all the players woke up in the dark? IIRC that was a decent adventure.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lemon-Lime posted:

In happier news, the Battle Century G Kickstarter delivered the promised expansion book today. :toot:

Here's an awkward thing to fit into this thread. I didn't kickstart BGC, but I bought it afterward and didn't know about the expansion material. What all is in there, and how would you rate it?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I mean, I backed it like I imagine a lot of others did - where you effectively get a mostly complete game line, and if the new version turns out well, that'll be a nice bonus. If it doesn't, I at least don't have to suffer Exalted 3e levels of regret.

Mitama posted:

As someone from that game, I can tell you that the GM read that bit and decided it wasn't worth running Part 2. :v:

Yeah, it's a sad thing where I get what Wick is aiming for, trying to set up a villain PCs will want to get comeuppance on, but that doesn't work in a demo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Here's an awkward thing to fit into this thread. I didn't kickstart BGC, but I bought it afterward and didn't know about the expansion material. What all is in there, and how would you rate it?

It's a 35 pages of powers/upgrades/weapons, about 30 pages of rules for running fantasy stuff, factions, insanity and "grittier" campaigns, and a quite extensive "monster manual" chapter filled with pre-statted mooks, rivals and bosses with about half a page each of advice on how to play them for the GM. Comes up to 121 pages, not sure how much it'll go for once it's up on DTRPG. I'd say it's worth getting, for sure.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 1, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I mean, yeah, I think more people backed for the new fluff than they did new rules. Roll these dice and add up tens? gently caress that poo poo, tell me about the lost Roanoke colony but add weird magic & secret societies.

demota posted:

I like how he calls copying it wholesale "something brand new."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

demota posted:

It's clear that they believe their work is legal parody. And that they bewilderingly expected Nintendo to agree with them on that.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it's a sad thing where I get what Wick is aiming for, trying to set up a villain PCs will want to get comeuppance on, but that doesn't work in a demo.

They'll hate the villain so much that they'll buy the full game just to stick it to him.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

HitTheTargets posted:

I mean, yeah, I think more people backed for the new fluff than they did new rules. Roll these dice and add up tens? gently caress that poo poo, tell me about the lost Roanoke colony but add weird magic & secret societies.

I like how he calls copying it wholesale "something brand new."

It's new in the sense that nobody has done it before because it's kinda illegal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sionak posted:

Yeah, it's the one that starts with asking players why their characters are killing the Prince, new players ask "What's a Prince?" and it goes downhill from there.

The whole adventure is super-dependant on setting knowledge, and at some point the adventure hinges on "When the players talk to [character]," but doesn't give any reasons to talk to them over any of the other dozens of NPCs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

That's why I backed it.

If the system turns out to be really bad, I'll probably look into how to port the setting into Fellowship, Reign or FantasyCraft (or even Legends of the Wulin for a level of complexity between the latter two)

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Kwyndig posted:

Is that a robot voice or did they pick a narrator who spoke English as a third language?

A person having an accent is the least dumb thing about the whole mess.

7th Sea: Never played before, but I backed the hell out of the PDF option. Like with any RPG I've ever played, rules are secondary. Systems design is cool and all but it leads to all the systemsy issues that are best addressed when not trying to wrangle players at a table. Which is to say, the countdown thing is dumb and shouldn't be used unless it's part of a planned, timed scene that makes sense to everyone.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 1, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xelkelvos posted:

That's why I backed it.

If the system turns out to be really bad, I'll probably look into how to port the setting into Fellowship, Reign or FantasyCraft (or even Legends of the Wulin for a level of complexity between the latter two)

Or spellbound kingdoms.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DalaranJ posted:

They'll hate the villain so much that they'll buy the full game just to stick it to him.

gently caress Bargle the Infamous.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Pouring one out for Aleena's lovely hit point rolls.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

DalaranJ posted:

It's clear that they believe their work is legal parody. And that they bewilderingly expected Nintendo to agree with them on that.

Man, that's weird. Are IP laws different in Italy or something?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

demota posted:

Man, that's weird. Are IP laws different in Italy or something?

They're actually MORE restrictive, having come about under the fascists in 41.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Then definitely dumb as hell, because if you're running a Kickstarter, the IP laws you really need to be concerned with are the ones in the USA. I don't understand how this trips up so many foreigners, if you're dealing with a US company over the internet, you're probably going to have to do things the American way (unless you're China) and that has been the way things work since there has been an internet.

But then again, I doubt these people have talked to a single expert in Intellectual Property rights, Italian or otherwise.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

That's why I backed it.

Spellbound Kingdoms is just 7th Sea but good, so I'd recommend that for all your swashbuckling needs.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
So, Paranoia kickstarter. It's a year late now and here's the book cover art:

I skipped backing this because of the preview art and it looks like that was a good idea.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
A late James Wallis project? Well I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

xiw posted:

So, Paranoia kickstarter. It's a year late now and here's the book cover art:

I skipped backing this because of the preview art and it looks like that was a good idea.
That art is loving terrible. I can't imagine how it could tell you less about the game other than using cover art from a 2e D&D module.

• Locked thread