Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

How come nobody has Moneyball'd their way to the top in esports yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
ive always felt caught in a dichotomy wrt ak first shot: like i fuckin hate the first shot inaccuracy of the ak when im dead center on a dude, but I believe rifles souldnt be nearly as effective as sniper rifles at long rages. maybe they should increase the damage falloff? i dunno

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
are there reliable statistics and data that can be used to predict accurately how players will perform? as fluid as most teams lineups are i don't think an organization could reliably hold on to a squad of their preferred players either unless they win constantly.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Up Circle posted:

are there reliable statistics and data that can be used to predict accurately how players will perform? as fluid as most teams lineups are i don't think an organization could reliably hold on to a squad of their preferred players either unless they win constantly.

I think the biggest variable for a lot of these teams is traveling. Sometimes you just have a lovely flight or you really do get jetlagged. If every LAN was held in Sweden Fnatic would win every single one of them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Photex posted:

I think the biggest variable for a lot of these teams is traveling. Sometimes you just have a lovely flight or you really do get jetlagged. If every LAN was held in Sweden Fnatic would win every single one of them.

NA excuses

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Smol posted:

A good Thorin video for everyone reading this thread.

This shouldn't be new for many of you but if you're newish to the game or feel like you're stuck in a rut, this is a good watch.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ArfJason posted:

ive always felt caught in a dichotomy wrt ak first shot: like i fuckin hate the first shot inaccuracy of the ak when im dead center on a dude, but I believe rifles souldnt be nearly as effective as sniper rifles at long rages. maybe they should increase the damage falloff? i dunno

I actually think that'd be a good change. Accurate marksman could still click heads but if you don't hit the noggin you'll just get poo poo on by anything with a scope. I just hate RNG in anything remotely competitive, if that'd get rid of it I would be happy.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
but randomness is part of life, and in fact part of most competitive endeavours (aka real sports)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Randomness means that engaging past a certain range is increasingly risky. I like it because you will definitely lose high risk things more often than win, but occasionally you'll make it work. It's what makes big plays fun and exciting.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
How can I post videos here? Do I need to download + upload, or can I just paste the share link?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
:justpost:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Up Circle posted:

but randomness is part of life, and in fact part of most competitive endeavours (aka real sports)

Just like in matchmaking :owned:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Haven't played this game in months and months and decided to check it out again. Got placed back in S2 while top fragging each game and losing but whatever, only playing for fun anyway. A lot of silvers talk about getting downranked since a patch, what happened?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

They used to be globals

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CortezFantastic posted:

Haven't played this game in months and months and decided to check it out again. Got placed back in S2 while top fragging each game and losing but whatever, only playing for fun anyway. A lot of silvers talk about getting downranked since a patch, what happened?

Basically all the ranks were skewed upwards for some reason, so less than 3% of the player base were silver. Now it's close to 40% of the playerbase.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Sometimes I want to be religious just so people who kick people who vote no to surrender can burn in a special hell.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

fennesz posted:

Just like in matchmaking :owned:

i am not the one complaining about randomness XD

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Remora posted:

Sometimes I want to be religious just so people who kick people who vote no to surrender can burn in a special hell.

You should probably just surrender when the rest of your team wants to because it means they are tilted and won't try anymore, you may as well just let them get out of your life. By forcing them to stay you're pissing them off so don't be surprised, mate.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

They can alt-f4 any time they want and take their cooldown like grown adults.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Up Circle posted:

i am not the one complaining about randomness XD

You're really bad at shitposting for someone who does nothing but :shrug:

Spiros posted:

You should probably just surrender when the rest of your team wants to because it means they are tilted and won't try anymore, you may as well just let them get out of your life. By forcing them to stay you're pissing them off so don't be surprised, mate.

If there are some rational human beings on your team, sometimes you can claw your way back into the game.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

fennesz posted:

You're really bad at shitposting for someone who does nothing but :shrug:

If there are some rational human beings on your team, sometimes you can claw your way back into the game.

your really bad at posting in general my friend.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fennesz posted:

But it's a game. So why? Why not just end it?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It's nice not being global anymore, because I was never deserving of it I felt, and it kinda invited some sort of pressure to stay there. But every time I pub mm every third LEM/SMFC I get loves to remind me 'well I was global so u should listen to me' ya but you aint now are ya you cracked up hopscotch lookin' sleazemonger

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I just don't even live in the same reality as people who can focus enough to get to global.

I start running out like an idiot at the slightest provocation and I don't think that's ever going to change

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Remora posted:

They can alt-f4 any time they want and take their cooldown like grown adults.

If you get kicked after you knowingly torture people, don't get mad about it. Its their right as much as it is yours to try to convince them to tough it out.

FWIW I never surrender because I always enjoy a challenge.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Spiros posted:

If you get kicked after you knowingly torture people

We were on round 5.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm actually global (in essence) and was infact global (in essence) ever since I started playing this game

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
ak inaccuracy gives the sig a place in the game imo

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

But it's a game. So why? Why not just end it?

Because coming back from a 2-14 deficit with a bot and winning feels amazing.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Dang, Fallen strafing noscope scout headshot

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

surc posted:

Dang, Fallen strafing noscope scout headshot

They are trolling the poo poo out of coL right now.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I was really hoping coL would win the map, just as a "gently caress you" for all the disrespect force-buys. :sigh:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm starting to feel the call of the AWP, I never pick one up or buy one because it's just not my thing, but I was a pretty badass poo poo kicking sniper back in the HLDM/TFC/S&I days and the AWP in CS:GO seems to have a lot less voodoo around it than the one in CS beta 4/5/1/1.6 did.

Anyway, I clutched a 3v1 as a CT today after grabbing one and it felt good :shobon:

2 rando questions:

Is scout early game only or does it serve any type of purpose mid game/late game?

Does anyone else just get tired of spray pattern horse poo poo with rifles and buy easier to control SMGs? The MP7 is like a comfort food gun for me, I know I won't have a "gently caress!" moment where 17 bullets encircle the person's head at close-to-mid-range, and it lets me build a strong eco for late game. I've found myself buying an MP7 maybe 50% of the time I could get a rifle.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Is scout early game only or does it serve any type of purpose mid game/late game?

Does anyone else just get tired of spray pattern horse poo poo with rifles and buy easier to control SMGs? The MP7 is like a comfort food gun for me, I know I won't have a "gently caress!" moment where 17 bullets encircle the person's head at close-to-mid-range, and it lets me build a strong eco for late game. I've found myself buying an MP7 maybe 50% of the time I could get a rifle.

It's best used during a force/light buy. It's always useful to do ~85 damage to an enemy, it's really just the follow up damage that's the trick. Certainly don't expect to perform with it like you would with an AWP, but scout damage can win rounds.

Use weapons you're not comfortable with and you'll get better. I used to hate the UMP and it's far and away my favorite SMG now. People will start out gunning you if you solely rely on SMGs extremely quickly.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I like the UMP because it has a very reliable spray pattern (pull down a lot).

I tried playing xbox 360 controller deathmatch to get some of these xp points since I dont feel like playing casual and lol being able to tr,ack horizontally with the stick makes deaging a blast, everything else sucked though

http://plays.tv/video/57270b1d7bf8b7ee8a/play-better-with-360-controller-than-mouse-keyboard-

trigger warning: bots

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Does anyone else just get tired of spray pattern horse poo poo with rifles and buy easier to control SMGs?

P90 is love, P90 is life.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I just Shake My Head when people in trash ranks (me, GN3) try to manage (not me) who should and shouldn't buy AWPs.

"hell is other people"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

henne posted:

ak inaccuracy gives the sig a place in the game imo

Sig is in the game so people will complain about you using a cod gun.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm starting to feel the call of the AWP, I never pick one up or buy one because it's just not my thing, but I was a pretty badass poo poo kicking sniper back in the HLDM/TFC/S&I days and the AWP in CS:GO seems to have a lot less voodoo around it than the one in CS beta 4/5/1/1.6 did.

Anyway, I clutched a 3v1 as a CT today after grabbing one and it felt good :shobon:

2 rando questions:

UMP is perfectly serviceable in most rounds, have gotten more then a few 4k's against rifles. That said, AK/M4 will always be better. Scout is fun to smack someone for 80~ and then glock to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

2 rando questions:

You probably enjoy the MP7 because you're still spraying and running. I was watching a d2 match of yours over the weekend, and specifically remember you as a CT were coming out of the CT spawn area, you knew there were multiple Ts coming up long based on your teammate's fights with them, and you were running full out into long exposing yourself, not holding any angles, running full on into 2-3 Ts.

Holding the angle either close to long or at the elevator spot with an AK gives you the advantage of cover and making enemies run into your crosshair. When you have positional advantage, then you only need to place 1-3 AK rounds into someone to take them out rather than 4-6 from an SMG.