Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Babe Magnet posted:

So you've decided to be a cool and handsome punch-man.

:words:

Maaaan, this has taken the winds out of my sails for a second run as a punch-man. I did a Glass Joe run in Dark Souls 2 (dual Caestus, Poise Ring, no armor except his trunks) and it was easily the most fun I ever had in a Dark Souls game.

I can't believe they went back to fist weapons being complete and utter garbage again. Like Kanos said, it's like they ignored almost all of the quality of life stuff Dark Souls 2/SotFS did. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dazzling Addar posted:

I heard a rumor (some soppy gossip, if you will) that when infused with bleed, the brigand twindaggers are the fastest at inflicting it in the game. I haven't tested it myself, but it doesn't seem too unreasonable. As general weapons they leave basically everything to be desired but heck, give it a try. The Bandit's Knife isn't a whole lot better.

So, when you hit something 5-6 times you'll trigger Bleed, which takes off 40% of its health. Compared with other weapons which just kill monsters in a few hits.

What the gently caress is even the point of bleed.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So, when you hit something 5-6 times you'll trigger Bleed, which takes off 40% of its health. Compared with other weapons which just kill monsters in a few hits.

Bleed wrecks bosses real quick.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ixjuvin posted:

How would Aldrich, known god eater, have obtained the power of lifehunt other than eating Priscilla?

Toady posted:

Some people refuse to believe that the boss-eating goo having weapons and spells from other bosses is anything more than a coincidence because it's not explicitly stated in an item description.

Come on guys it's right in the item description.

Miracle of Aldrich, Devourer of Gods.

Steals HP of foes using an illusory scythe.

Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding.

Priscilla's version isn't a miracle. Aldrich's is because he literally dreamed it up. Gwyndolin knew about Priscilla and Yorshka, so Aldrich eventually did too. No doubt if you had not killed him he would have been off to eat Yorsh next.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Bleed wrecks bosses real quick.

Yeah, if you hit them a bunch you get to do almost as much damage as a normal weapon! :toot:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I get the feeling that DS2 would have been a much better game with, say, 6 months more development time. And also an editor.

Same. I also feel this way about Bloodborne. And probably Dark Souls 3.

Despite how good the games are and the improvements they've made, I feel like they've suffered for the yearly release schedule and could've been even better.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Slate Action posted:

Wait, so it's true that Poise does literally nothing no matter how much of it you have? Why is it still in the game then?

Going to go with "last minute ham fisted balance change for pvp concerns" because they basically just flipped a bit to turn it off. Just like the thread title - change that address to a 1 and it works as demoed in several videos at this point.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

no

Dagger of the unwanted, those guided by heretical storytellers. A rather large dagger with a powerful attack, but this transparent attempt to intimidate foes reveals much about its owner's fears.

Great scythe of the forlorn souls guided by heretical storytellers. The Mistress of the Painted World is said to wield a great scythe herself. Great scythes inflict profuse bleeding, such that the blood patters on the wielder.

Staff of a heretic storyteller who shares tales of the Painted World to forlorn souls.

The storytellers, too, are wretched beings with no place to go. Their bodies, souls, and even their staves are all tainted through and through.

Clearly linked, but to me it suggests that they are looking for the PW, rather than came from it. Although perhaps they are descendants of the original crow-demons and are trying to get back, now.

Here's the painting guardian set description though,
"Attire of the Painting Guardians, whose forms are described in the mythology of heretics.
The hunchbacked teller of ancient tales describes unwanted souls who are unwelcome across the lands, and are eventually drawn into a cold, painted world."

Like, you have to make a bit of a jump, but I don't think it's too ridiculous to assume they're descendants from the painted world

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

It's just a low-res copy paste of the Undead Settlement to make the world look more real, you can clearly see that it has the exact same layout/buildings as the Undead Settlement in the youtube video

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The trick is to get bleed to proc every 2 hits

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Trying to decide on the best quality build great sword to use for some endgame pvp fun. I have a +4 wolf knight's greatsword but was thinking of leveling up astora's or the firelink greatsword. Any thoughts on which has the best move set for spending my titanite scales on?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Xenolalia posted:

Here's the painting guardian set description though,
"Attire of the Painting Guardians, whose forms are described in the mythology of heretics.
The hunchbacked teller of ancient tales describes unwanted souls who are unwelcome across the lands, and are eventually drawn into a cold, painted world."

Like, you have to make a bit of a jump, but I don't think it's too ridiculous to assume they're descendants from the painted world

No, again, all that says is that the corvians know of and want to go to the painted world. I agree that it's not too big a jump to think they're descendants of it and want to return specifically, but it's, you know, still a jump to make.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Would it help if I said that "Corvian" was originally "crow person"?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, if you hit them a bunch you get to do almost as much damage as a normal weapon! :toot:

The right build is causing it to build up stupidly fast, and it's pretty OP. Also, the Grave Warden twinblades end up with a pretty decent attack rating, given their speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1arGY6p297M

Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Noxaoz-cg Skip to about 3:55

And one more, just for fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TzX4e4Ua-o

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 2, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Would it help if I said that "Corvian" was originally "crow person"?

Well, crows are Corvids and that type of naming is pretty typical fantasy fare :v: No one's trying to argue that the guys don't have black feathers, but there's plenty of bird/crow imagery in these games.

e: what I mean is that they're pretty obviously "crow people". The Crow Demons are also a type of "crow person", but that's kinda where the similarities end.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

GaussianCopula posted:

It's just a low-res copy paste of the Undead Settlement to make the world look more real, you can clearly see that it has the exact same layout/buildings as the Undead Settlement in the youtube video

Yeah, seems that way, though it's a really silly thing to do in the big "here's the view of all the stuff you're gonna explore" moment

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One thing that makes determining descent in the game a little complicated is people can start looking like things just by really worshiping/involving themselves in those things. Oceiros for example, or maybe the corvians, if they're not just straight-up crow people descendants. The environment also takes its toll- I doubt the gargoyles in the Profaned Capitol originally had skulls for heads (wondering a bit what they're doing in the Grand Archives too though, outside of asset reuse).

It might be that when Anor Londo was uprooted into Lothric, a few crow people were torn out of the Painted World. If you were torn out of that peaceful place with its kind inhabitants and thrust into the harsh reality of Souls, you would probably spend all your time wishing to go back too.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

MMD3 posted:

Trying to decide on the best quality build great sword to use for some endgame pvp fun. I have a +4 wolf knight's greatsword but was thinking of leveling up astora's or the firelink greatsword. Any thoughts on which has the best move set for spending my titanite scales on?

I'm rocking a lightning astora greatsword +10. People never seem to expect that the roll-into-attack will hit them, which usually allows for a free hit or two. Also hits like a truck since I have 40 faith (and that S scaling is p. neat).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Space Hamlet posted:

Yeah, seems that way, though it's a really silly thing to do in the big "here's the view of all the stuff you're gonna explore" moment

It could still be a stand-in for a village we'll go to in the DLC, since they could just update the layout once they've modeled the high-res version. Not many people would notice since it's tiny LOD models far off in the distance.

I want to believe :pray: (I'm just mad I can't play Bloodborne, give me a fishing hamlet or something in the DLC please)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lmao just as I looted my 29th Proof of a Concord Kept (and had just gone ahead and levelled up to 125 with all the souls I'd gotten after giving up on staying at a reasonable level) I actually got summoned to defend a world and got like 4 of them at once. Thanks Dark Souls. Thark Souls.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Your Computer posted:

e: what I mean is that they're pretty obviously "crow people". The Crow Demons are also a type of "crow person", but that's kinda where the similarities end.

Let me spell it out then:

The Corvians are the Crow Demons, who were originally called "The Crow-People of Velka". Same word.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

So...is there any point to the Blood Gem at all when Carthus Rouge exists?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So...is there any point to the Blood Gem at all when Carthus Rouge exists?

There's no point to the blood gem when the hollow gem and carthus rouge exist in tandem.

Infusing a weapon that inflicts bleed with a Hollow Gem has excellent synergy because luck is what dictates how quickly bleed is inflicted. Luck also boosts the attack rating on hollow weapons. So you end up with a decent attack power and a stupidly fast bleed build up.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 2, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Also, I want to mention something that makes me very upset about this game.

Where the hell is the Black Cleric set, including weapon?! Why wouldn't you stick it by the statue?!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is Hollow actually worth it though

I was getting afraid that having to wait so long for that infusion would make it mediocre

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

voltcatfish posted:

I was getting afraid that having to wait so long for that infusion would make it mediocre

It seems to be straight up the highest AR infusion for most of the bleed weapons with a quality/luck build.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

Given how easy it is to respec, and the fact that you can buy all the upgrade materials you need, it's certainly worth giving a shot!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

it makes a lot of the already quality weapons better. so if you have 40/40 + 30 luck ( and another +10 from 2 hollow weapons equipped) you do more than just a 40/40 refined weapon typically

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Catacombs of Carthus is the best for invading. I was inspired by that rolling ball and made the crusader knight from Indiana Jones. Chain helm, herald vest, iron leggins and mirrah chain gloves. Just standing at the bridge, trying to stop people from touching the grail. With Force.

I just wish the game was optimized better. I've done a lot of control panel tweaking and the game still feels fragile. Last time my frame rate died because the host dropped prism stones. Like I had been banished by some ritual! :allears:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man, big heavy slow weapons are god awful at low level pvp. Smash someone twice upside the head with a weapon that weighs more than their armor combined and do a third of their hp bar, maybe half of it with a parry, while they do basically the same damage swinging about a longsword or something similar.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Kild posted:

it makes a lot of the already quality weapons better. so if you have 40/40 + 30 luck ( and another +10 from 2 hollow weapons equipped) you do more than just a 40/40 refined weapon typically

That is a poo poo ton of stat investment. I guess this will become the glass cannon build? Might as well throw on red tearstone, too.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just learned that the black knights in Smouldering Lake aggro on sight when you're a purple invader. It happened several invasions in a row, but never when I invaded red, only purple.

It's pretty useful for evening the numbers. You can kite them through the whole level since black knights never stop chasing. The two fire guys in the big room are strong enough to kill them though.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 2, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

That is a poo poo ton of stat investment. I guess this will become the glass cannon build? Might as well throw on red tearstone, too.

easily doable at like SL 90 if you use the knight + hunter ring to hit 40. Mostly just lost out on some endurance.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/2497

79 w/ Prisoner's Chain

Mingo
May 7, 2007
the Merciless
Anybody around that wants to trade some pvp kills for covenant stuff on PS4? I need a bunch of mound makers vertebra still and am around lvl 130 at the moment. So if you need vertebra or tongues, send a friend request to MingoTheMerciles.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I love that his name in Japanese is straight up "God-Eater Eldritch." Cuts straight to the point.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nice. Gonna grab this.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

No, again, all that says is that the corvians know of and want to go to the painted world. I agree that it's not too big a jump to think they're descendants of it and want to return specifically, but it's, you know, still a jump to make.

Sorry, I didn't really explain it well, but I bolded the quotes where the corvians are described in the same way as Priscilla, which definitely seems like an intentional link. They're described as unwanted/disgusting beings etc. which is exactly who the painted world was designed to hold.

Vanderdeath posted:

I love that his name in Japanese is straight up "God-Eater Eldritch." Cuts straight to the point.

wait so "Saint Eldritch" looked into the sea and saw something beyond comprehension? loving, Miyazaki must really be on a Lovecraft kick

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Shnag posted:

Man this thread moves fast. Does anyone else make their characters freaks of nature?

This is Handsome George, and he is pretty depressed about existing.

He has no luck with the ladies.

Swords he cant pick up bum him out.

bonus Bloodborne guy

This is Melvin VI.

Melvin VI does not believe in shirts.

Melvin VI would advise children to stay away from drugs.