Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Your Computer posted:

I think the "Aldrich also ate X" theories are pretty dumb because you could say it about almost anything. It's pretty clearly stated who he ate from the descriptions (also, he's called "God-eater" in Japanese so using "Devourer of Gods" as proof that he ate multiple Gods is dumb), and if he ate someone as important as Nito there would be something to back it up.

As for Priscilla, there's several pieces of flavor text surrounding her and the Painted World and none speak of her being eaten. It's all stuff about wretched beings and heretical storytellers telling each other about this supposed safe haven for forlorn souls.

Okay I don't want to sound like a bastard because I know this was a while ago now but I'm pretty sure the game makes a few references to the painted world being unable to be reached anymore? Also, the Church of Yorshka is were the painted world cathedral was so maybe Aldrich ate priscilla and the painting was destroyed?

Your Computer posted:

This, too. Nerds in general are the worst at this (see: "Pokémon is set in a post-war setting", "The main character was dead the entire time", "There are monsters in this fantasy world because it's actually a post-apocalyptic setting and those are all MUTANTS" etc.)

I would normally super agree with you but Aldrich is clearly meant to be incredibly awful. It's implied that he and the pontiff were such scumbags that their actions cursed the entire city they ruled. Not to mention the creepy sexual-ized child eating going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where do you get the tri cornered hat npcs armor? I have his hat from doing his quest line but not his armor and it looks badass.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
How would Aldrich, known god eater, have obtained the power of lifehunt other than eating Priscilla? It seems the obvious conclusion to draw. As for the Painted World, given Dark Souls' ongoing themes of decay and dissolution I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually just seeped into the local reality and sublimated entirely; it would help explain why Irithyll is so chilly and sort of... spatially nonsensical (aside from being a video game level)

NESguerilla posted:

Where do you get the tri cornered hat npcs armor? I have his hat from doing his quest line but not his armor and it looks badass.

You can buy Leonhard's armor from the Handmaiden once you've killed him, I think.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Kill him, then buy his poo poo from the shrine maiden.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Ixjuvin posted:

How would Aldrich, known god eater, have obtained the power of lifehunt other than eating Priscilla? It seems the obvious conclusion to draw. As for the Painted World, given Dark Souls' ongoing themes of decay and dissolution I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually just seeped into the local reality and sublimated entirely; it would help explain why Irithyll is so chilly and sort of... spatially nonsensical (aside from being a video game level)

You can buy Leonhard's armor from the Handmaiden once you've killed him, I think.

I thought Irithyll was just chilly because in DS1 you realize that the sun hasn't risen in Anor Londo for quite some time and it's presumably been ages since then, and it's like symbolic because of the whole "light/fire - dark/ice" duality.

...maybe

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Ixjuvin posted:

Some people refuse to believe that the boss-eating goo having weapons and spells from other bosses is anything more than a coincidence because it's not explicitly stated in an item description.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
Finally finished my second dark souls 3 video.

Going for a robot chicken kind of thing, practicing editing.

Last video got almost 60k views, so I must be doing something right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxz2CZk494U

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Seems to me like Aldrich only ever ate gwyndolin, as he was eating them he saw a pale girl in hiding, which fits Yorshka more than Priscilla. The massive cathedral of Anor londo we see now is only a tiny portion of what it used to be, namely, the entire city surrounding it. The building that housed the painting is gone so its possible the portal was destroyed, trapping everything inside in a pocket universe (imo much better in there than out here with the meatslug that I hate with my entire being)

Side note, someone mentioned the corvians being from the painting, I'm pretty sure they aren't, they just know of it and the story tellers try to comfort their kin by telling them all about a place where grotesque monsters are welcome and at peace from marauding adventurers that murder them at first sight

The waifu is safe boys

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 2, 2016

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Ixjuvin posted:

How would Aldrich, known god eater, have obtained the power of lifehunt other than eating Priscilla?

We kill Aldrich as he's in the process of (are we still spoilering everything?) eating Gwyndolin, and the text says 'as he devoured the God of the Darkmoon' so he just can't have gotten around to it yet.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

That is the Undead Settlement.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

That is the Undead Settlement.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
is it any good to get a hollow weapon, high luck, and hollow myself?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So am I misinterpreting what "Kill the host or 1 phantom" as a mound maker invader means? I keep killing phantoms and its not triggering anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Definitely, although I think it's only optimal for weapons that inflict bleed.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Jewel Repetition posted:

Its really good with a bleeding weapon (I been using warden twinblades as a baseline) with carthus rouge. I'm working on upgrading some other stuff and infusing them hollow, but yeah, Running 40 luck 40 dex is workin pretty well for me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jimson posted:

Do your effort post again, convert me to the way of the blazing fists

So you've decided to be a cool and handsome punch-man.

Here's some advice: don't

For real though, they're really fun but super gimmicky because poise is garbage in its current implementation, if not outright disabled. This means that you're going to need to get in and get out quickly, and that you're not going to be able to get in very many hits all at once, which is not great for a weapon with as low damage as the caestus.

If you insist because you want to be an incredibly impressive and big-wienered dude such as myself, I'll break down your moveset and some potential matchups you're going to be need to be ready for. I've done extensive amount of playing with the caestus and the demon fists both in pve and pvp, and here's some stuff I've found out:

Your stats are going to be primarily Strength for damage (or Dexterity if you're feelin' spicy), Vigor so you can get eat damage to make better use of your weapon art, Vit enough to get some armor on and to look pretty, and that's really it. You can pump those, or spread them around for stuff like weapon buffs or whatever. You're going to want to infuse your caestus with whatever gem aligns with the damage stat you've chosen, though you're only looking at a difference of maybe 30 points of damage in the end so it really doesn't matter all too much.

Your moveset is incredibly simple. Assuming you're dual-wielding the caestus/demon fists like a big boy, you're looking at a single overhead jab on your R1, a charging straight jab on your R2 (which combos into an uppercut), a double-punch for quick taps on your L1, and Perseverance or Fire Spin on your L2. Your running R1 is a backhand, running R2 is a dunk, running L1 is a running 1-2 combo, and the same generally goes for your rolls.

Your moves do not have a ton of flexibility, which is one of your biggest downsides, other than your range and your damage and your pride. Your R1 moves, the overhead jab and the backhand, have very weird timing when it comes to parries, which is going to be one of your biggest assets. It seems like starting your R1 attack before they have the parry ready (so any situation where they didn't read you) will let you just clang against their shield and do your damage instead of catching a parry like lesser weapons. Use this to your advantage and almost always open with your running backhand. As for your doublepunch, bust it out when your opponent isn't going to be able to parry (NPCs mostly, but also in pvp against people without shields and 2hing a weapon that isn't a katana) because it's got slightly higher damage if both punches connect and the recovery period is nicer for you to roll away from their inevitable reposte spam. If you've got a roller on your hands, be aware that, because your L1 (even the running version) hits twice, if you're chasing them down and they won't stop rolling, you can usually tap them with the second hit if you bust out your 1-2 L1 in the middle of their roll. This is basically all you're going to be using on offense, but always feel free to mix it up a little from time to time to keep your opponent on their toes.

Playing defensively, you've got a surprising amount of tricks you can pull out. You attack quickly out of a roll, even your heavy punch, so you're always going to at least trade, though trading is not advised if you can help it. If all you're using is the caestus or the demon fists, you're likely a lot lighter than your opponents so you can stack on more armor, which is something you're going to want as much of as you can get while not going over 69.9% load. For the caestus, your weapon art essentially puts you in a Max-Poise stance for a few seconds, while also giving you a decent amount of damage absorption. The incredibly short length makes it look useless at first glance, but the trick is to bait your opponent into an attack such a running sweep or a hyper-armored swing, pop your weapon art and eat the first hit at reduced damage and then either start laying on the punches (if you think you got the drop on them enough they won't roll away immediately) or try to sneak in a quick R2 heavy. This is not only usually enough to make up for the reduced damage you took, but you can sometimes catch people who will continue to try and attack you, and outside of the heaviest greatswords they won't be able to get an attack out as you spam L1 in their grill. If they have a shield, be sure to mix up your punches and remember that the timing to parry your R1 is hosed up so that's usually your safest move in these situations.

A trick you can do if you only have one caestus is to keep it in your off-hand, since an off-hand caestus gives you a parry instead of its weapon art, and the caestus parry has near-instant startup so you can pull it out at a moment's notice by just tapping your 1h/2h button. Be sure to 2h it again before doing the critical attack!

Do this enough and that will usually get people playing defensively themselves, which makes them easier to run down with the hit-and-run tactics discussed earlier.

The Demon Fists are generally the same except the last part because you don't get to enjoy poise in any capacity with them. They use more stamina but I don't think they come out any slower, at least not noticeably so. The thing that changes with these puppies is your weapon art, which is a spinning lariat with multi-hit that you can end with your R2 to cause an explosion that pops people up into the air. It doesn't do a ton of damage, and they can sometimes roll out of it, but if you combine it with the knight-slayer ring you can usually bust blocks with it for critical attacks if you're lucky or catch them blocking after a roll. It's also unparryable.

All of the above really assumes you're using these in PvP. For PvE, you're going to want to stay mobile and use your L1 frequently to try and break their poise. It's the same tactics as playing with shortswords or daggers, roll, spam, keep your eyes open, roll again. Your weapon art with the caestus is nice for eating hits from fast enemies like Thralls or Dogs, since their low damage is almost completely mitigated by your armor and the damage reduction from your weapon art, and you can slap them around with your brief window of poise.

As for pvp, learn the weapons you're fighting against:

-Katana users are going to try and sprint-poke you. You can parry this if you can get a feel for the wonky hitbox it has. If they use their weapon art, you can just sprint at them to try and bait the parry or roll past them if they try to hit you. If you're not sprinting, the timing for the caestus parry on their weapon art attack is to use it when they crouch down to their lowest point.
-Spear users are going to try and poke you to death. Sprint to the side, bait the poke, run in and slap, get away. Hit and run tactics. If they're the spinning kind, bait it, stay away, roll or Persevere into the last spin, R2 uppercut, get out.
-Greatswords users are going to make you their bitch, but they're more often than not wearing the pee-pants so it evens out. Stay mobile. If you don't stagger them on the first hit, get the gently caress out. They get to use poise and you don't, so there's nothing you can do to break through their hyper armor and they need to hit you a lot less than you need to hit them. Do not try to parry them (unless they're using one of the dex greatswords). If they're swing-happy like a lot of the UGS users will be, something I've found that works well is you run up to them and then use your weapon art to eat a hit and then charge a heavy punch. It hurts, but you can't win a war of attrition with greatsword users. You have to kill them quickly.
-Straightsword/Thrusting sword users are generally of lower quality stock and lesser class, but they can be a problem since they've gotten really good at just mashing R1 through the entire game. You will be swiped 7 times by a dark sword. Your only options here are hit and run or to try and roll through all of their poo poo. Do not try to trade. Pretty easy to parry since they're generally really dumb but poking weapons have double-sized hotboxes so it's not safe to try and get them. They've also generally invested a ton of points into vigor because they'e bad at the game so fighting them is going to be a slog. If they run at you, Persevere through their attack and wail on them a bit, then back away. If they're using shields, stay on the offensive with your running R1 backhand.
-Axe/Scythe/Whatever users are generally pretty simple since those weapons take a little finesse to use, which means (like your own weapons) they're not nearly as good as the alternatives listed above. They can be weird sometimes. Be patient, hit and run, punish their inevitable big dumb useless move that is the reason no one ever uses these weapons.
-Magic users (including faith and pyros) need to be baited into using their spells and then you run up and punch them in the dick. These will usually also be straight/thrusting sword users, so head's up.
-Dagger users don't exist.
-Shield babies need different mindsets depending on their shield type. The types are "Parrying" and "Not Parrying". You will eat Not Parrying shields for breakfast. This is the moment you've been training for. Get your kicks out. Parrying shields can be rough because of your range, but you've got the power of a weird hitbox on (and in) your hands. Your R1 is your best friend here, just don't overuse it.
-Fellow caestus users will likely be doing all of the above, but they will look less good in the same clothes you're wearing and they'll which they could be you.

reference material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyHQct0VOLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6SnaJiIioI
http://handbeezy.com/media/videos/356.webm
http://handbeezy.com/media/videos/360.webm

if I missed anything let me know

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 2, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that post is way too big, gently caress it equip a dark sword and spam R1

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Seems to me like Aldrich only ever ate gwyndolin, as he was eating them he saw a pale girl in hiding, which fits Yorshka more than Priscilla. The massive cathedral of Anor londo we see now is only a tiny portion of what it used to be, namely, the entire city surrounding it. The building that housed the painting is gone so its possible the portal was destroyed, trapping everything inside in a pocket universe (imo much better in there than out here with the meatslug that I hate with my entire being)

Side note, someone mentioned the corvians being from the painting, I'm pretty sure they aren't, they just know of it and the story tellers try to comfort their kin by telling them all about a place where grotesque monsters are welcome and at peace from marauding adventurers that murder them at first sight

The waifu is safe boys
Huh I never thought of that, but that's definitely equally or more possible than Priscilla.

I'm pretty sure the Corvian item descriptions say they're from the painted world, no?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here used the Tailbone weapons? Is it right that they can't be buffed?

I swear, none of the cool weapons in this game can be buffed :( I would use a rapier since it can be buffed with Magic Weapon, except I just can't stand the animation and it's draining the fun out of using it. The Tailbone Short Sword looks incredibly cool and it's really fast so I thought maybe I could use that for supplemental melee damage but if it can't be buffed maybe that's a bad idea?

Xenolalia posted:

I'm pretty sure the Corvian item descriptions say they're from the painted world, no?

They just say that the storytellers tell tales of the Painted World and how it's a safe haven for wretched beings. Nothing really pointing to them being from the place, just telling each other about it.

"Staff of a heretic storyteller who shares tales of the Painted World to forlorn souls.

The storytellers, too, are wretched beings with no place to go. Their bodies, souls, and even their staves are all tainted through and through."

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 2, 2016

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Wat.

So I went ahead and finished my low level poison character and the first world I get is a dude named "SAMURAI BALD". A half naked, balk samurai, in the starting zone with a washing pole. I hit him for 116 damage and his lifebar barely moved.

Level 22, Arstor's Spear +1. Sure, ok.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Xenolalia posted:

no

Dagger of the unwanted, those guided by heretical storytellers. A rather large dagger with a powerful attack, but this transparent attempt to intimidate foes reveals much about its owner's fears.

Great scythe of the forlorn souls guided by heretical storytellers. The Mistress of the Painted World is said to wield a great scythe herself. Great scythes inflict profuse bleeding, such that the blood patters on the wielder.

Staff of a heretic storyteller who shares tales of the Painted World to forlorn souls.

The storytellers, too, are wretched beings with no place to go. Their bodies, souls, and even their staves are all tainted through and through.

Clearly linked, but to me it suggests that they are looking for the PW, rather than came from it. Although perhaps they are descendants of the original crow-demons and are trying to get back, now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Has anyone here used the Tailbone weapons? Is it right that they can't be buffed?

what the gently caress does "unleash dragon" even do, I've never seen it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

It's like a wind slash. You raise the weapon and slam it down to send out a shockwave. Seems useless but maybe it deals good damage??

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Babe Magnet posted:

It shots a short range wind attack, like a lovely version of the storm ruler.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

1. Bridge next to the bonfire with the first Evangelist and the estus shard.
2. Roofs with the Thralls were you can jump down to join the Mound-Makers.
3. Bridge past those roofs that leads towards the Cliff Underside bonfire area.
4. Archway with the firebomb throwing hollows sitting that connects to the Cliff Underside bonfire.
5. Tower with the Mirrah Set and Chloranthy Ring next to the tree boss
6. Secret area where you fight a demon with Seigward
7. Graveyard the giant shoots at after the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire
8. Alleyway that leads to the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire and the Mad Holy Knight Hodrick invasion.

The layout is the same as the Undead Settlement and the buildings look the same when the character gets close to them, especially the tower with the Mirrah Set.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

It shots a short range wind attack, like a lovely version of the storm ruler.

Honestly I just think Porcelain Man would look cool with weapons made out of bone, which is why I hope they are at least decent if not good weapons :whitewater:

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
another thing i just learned: farron flashsword can be parried :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The ridiculously long input queueing and getting unconditionally staggered by every single hit is starting to get to me

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lemonpieman posted:

another thing i just learned: farron flashsword can be parried :(
I mean, I don't really do spell mans in these games if that's actually true then wowie zowie that the actual gently caress.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Proposition Joe posted:

The layout is the same as the Undead Settlement and the buildings look the same when the character gets close to them, especially the tower with the Mirrah Set.

Yeah, I can see that. The question is, why is there a lovely low res, scaled down model of parts of the settlement way off in the distance?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah, I can see that. The question is, why is there a lovely low res, scaled down model of parts of the settlement way off in the distance?

To fill out the horizon. They already had the models for the village ready to, just have to lower the quality of the textures a bit and it's good to go.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Obligatum VII posted:

Finally, I discovered a remarkably effective PvP weapon combo while goofing around: Take a polearm with some sort of poke on its light attack (I used gundyr, my buddy decided to try this as well and had success with the black knight glaive) and use it in your offhand. In your main hand, use some sort of fast weapon with roughly longsword reach (I used the Moriron sword, personally. But anything with roughly that speed and reach should do. Maybe can get away with shorter reach, but I'm not sure). It is incredibly easy to combo your polearm poke into an r1 combo from the straight sword or what-have-you.

When I put a polearm in my offhand (tried both the ones you mentioned), L1 just makes me hold it up like a shield. I can use its heavy attack with L2, but that's a big slow swing, not a poke. Am I missing something here?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Babe Magnet posted:

-Dagger users don't exist.

On that note: Bandit's Knife or Brigand Twindaggers if I wanna try a dagger build, anybody?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Nakar posted:

Another point in favor of the Scholar and Usurpation connection, Vendrick's dialogue from SotFS:

Fire came to be and with it disparity.
Heat and cold, life and death, light and dark.
Dark was seen as a curse.
Shadow is not cast but born of fire.
And the brighter the flame, the deeper the shadow.
Inherit fire and harness the dark.
Such is the calling of a true leader.

The first two lines come from the intro to DS1, which is basically the "ancient lore" that Vendrick and Aldia rediscovered. Then he suggests that dark needs fire and that you should "inherit fire and harness the dark." Which doesn't exactly sound like merely linking the First Flame.

Yuria does want you to link it, but then: "My lord and liege, I prithee, play the usurper: When the moment cometh to link the fire, wrest it from its mantle." Also, "The Age of Fire was founded by the old gods, sustained by the linking of the fire. But the gods are no more, and the all-powerful fire deserveth a new heir. Our Lord of Hollows it shall be, who weareth the true face of mankind. Honorable usurper, I prithee wrest the flame from its mantle, so that we hollows in most honest shape of man may have it for our own." The entire thing with the "marriage" is specifically so you can gain the strength to usurp; and as it so happens "marrying" Anri gives you more Dark Sigils.

I dunno, that kinda sounds like inheriting fire and harnessing the dark to me.

I figured they were malformed descendants of some sort. They're crow-associated, they use a scythe in imitation of the mistress of the Painted World, they tell stories of the place. They're connected in some fashion. We do know the crows can leave, in fact it seems like Priscilla could leave too if she wanted since she can tell you how to get out. She just prefers hanging out with her crow pals and her knight guy and her bonewheels.

It really sucked that the most interesting part of the lore in DS2 had to be patched in after the fact (after I was already finished with it). I get the feeling that DS2 would have been a much better game with, say, 6 months more development time. And also an editor.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

On that note: Bandit's Knife or Brigand Twindaggers if I wanna try a dagger build, anybody?

Use the Harpe and look really cool while you're chipping away at things for 20 damage per swing :c00lbutt:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Honestly I just think Porcelain Man would look cool with weapons made out of bone, which is why I hope they are at least decent if not good weapons :whitewater:

They have E scaling so probably not.

PvP or PvE? In PvE the bandit's dagger is fine, though against anything that doesn't bleed it will be frustrating to use. In PvP it struggles due to extremely poor range, so dealing with any more than one opponent with it is miserable.

Bandit twindaggers are god awful in PvE and PvP. Amazingly terrible.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

They have E scaling so probably not.

If I'm gonna use it on a Sorceror with no melee stats the scaling doesn't really matter. Turns out you can infuse it either though, and it upgrades with friggin Titanite Scales. Still kinda want to trade one over and see if it's at least usable early game.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

I heard a rumor (some soppy gossip, if you will) that when infused with bleed, the brigand twindaggers are the fastest at inflicting it in the game. I haven't tested it myself, but it doesn't seem too unreasonable. As general weapons they leave basically everything to be desired but heck, give it a try. The Bandit's Knife isn't a whole lot better.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Xenolalia posted:

I would normally super agree with you but Aldrich is clearly meant to be incredibly awful. It's implied that he and the pontiff were such scumbags that their actions cursed the entire city they ruled. Not to mention the creepy sexual-ized child eating going on

Uhh, I obviously missed something re: these guys :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I guess I was taking things too literally because I thought The Deep just meant the ocean and Aldrich ate some gods to become a fish-man once the fire went out.