Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

CelticPredator posted:

For most, Age of Ultron didn't lose it's luster until the second viewing. Chalk it up to seeing the characters you love again or whatever.

The first viewing was boring, the second viewing was hilarious.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I just think most critics are bad, personally.

Yea if you actually read critic reviews it quickly becomes apparent that most people reviewing movies for a living do so because they're too loving stupid to do anything else.

Most movie critics/reviewers are imbeciles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CelticPredator posted:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/26/alien-vs-aliens

Maybe hate is a strong word, but he really doesn't like it at all apperently.

To be fair he doesn't like it in comparison with ALIEN, as that's arguably the more interesting film. It's not that he doesn't like it at all. I can't say I disagree, but it very much depends on the day as to which one I prefer, and if I had to choose I'd probably go with ALIEN.

As for the SUICIDE SQUAD stuff, I happen to think he's wrong on that, but it's pretty funny how people say oh it was debunked by David Ayer, as if he's ever going to turn around and say yes they wanted me to make it lighter in tone. It's not even that unbelievable really, given how that original SS trailer is vastly different in tone from the other two that came out. Though I suspect the reason might be because it seemed way too dour originally, and they scrambled to show people that no, it has jokes too. Once people responded to that that's what they seemed to lean on.

Then again, they were really happy to talk publicly about how hosed up the movie was and how they needed psychiatrists on set, so who the gently caress knows.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

I struggled through one viewing. I got bored in the fight scenes. I think I'm old. :smith:

Honestly, it pretty much put me to sleep the first time. Second time was alright. Third time was...eh. I might watch it again, but only if it's like, on TV or something and there's nothing else to watch. Could be my least favorite MCU flick.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah but in that case a huge number of people online had already decided the movie was poo poo well ahead of the movie actually existing. The exact opposite is true for MCU films, except for the vanishingly small number of people who will always claim that [Next Big Marvel Movie] will be the Death of Marvel when that's transparently and consistently loving retarded.

There was also a (relatively small) number of people bitching about Heimdall being black and the Mandarin being too white but I'm going to assume they were bringing their own agenda to the characters and they weren't actually diehard fans.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

As for the SUICIDE SQUAD stuff, I happen to think he's wrong on that, but it's pretty funny how people say oh it was debunked by David Ayer, as if he's ever going to turn around and say yes they wanted me to make it lighter in tone.
Wasn't the debunking basically "that isn't how time works"? As in, "we already had these pickups (reshoots?) planned before that other movie even came out, how could it be a reaction to something that hadn't happened yet?"

Also, when did "grimdark," the Desirable Tone For Taking Comics Seriously, become "dour," the Undesirable Bad Way To Do Movies?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

By the way, a few weeks ago we were talking about how the surrounding area in Marvel action scenes is always miraculously devoid of civilians and someone quipped they'd awkwardly insert an evacuation order before the big airport fight scene, and I thought you should know that's exactly what happens.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

As for the SUICIDE SQUAD stuff, I happen to think he's wrong on that, but it's pretty funny how people say oh it was debunked by David Ayer, as if he's ever going to turn around and say yes they wanted me to make it lighter in tone. It's not even that unbelievable really, given how that original SS trailer is vastly different in tone from the other two that came out. Though I suspect the reason might be because it seemed way too dour originally, and they scrambled to show people that no, it has jokes too. Once people responded to that that's what they seemed to lean on.

No, that would still be loving stupid since the second trailer hit in January, well before Deadpool or BvS. The first trailer wasn't actually a trailer. It was an industry showcase or something. It just got leaked after the convention it was shown at.

My Lovely Horse posted:

By the way, a few weeks ago we were talking about how the surrounding area in Marvel action scenes is always miraculously devoid of civilians and someone quipped they'd awkwardly insert an evacuation order before the big airport fight scene, and I thought you should know that's exactly what happens.

The equivalent scenes in BvS felt like they were mocking that cliche in the Marvel films.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

No, that would still be loving stupid since the second trailer hit in January, well before Deadpool or BvS. The first trailer wasn't actually a trailer. It was an industry showcase or something. It just got leaked after the convention it was shown at.

There's no way the blurry leak - - > HD release was something they didn't plan on doing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

There's no way the blurry leak - - > HD release was something they didn't plan on doing

Well, they specifically said afterwards that they didn't want to do it. They did it because if there's going to be a copy out there, it may as well be a decent quality one.

Even then, the second trailer hit well before the two things that are supposed to have influenced them changing the tone.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TetsuoTW posted:

Wasn't the debunking basically "that isn't how time works"? As in, "we already had these pickups (reshoots?) planned before that other movie even came out, how could it be a reaction to something that hadn't happened yet?"

Also, when did "grimdark," the Desirable Tone For Taking Comics Seriously, become "dour," the Undesirable Bad Way To Do Movies?

People are not really bothered by the tone of DC's movies. They are bothered by the nonsensical characterizations and boring plots. They talk about how dour they are because that is the biggest, most palpable difference between Marvel's films (which they enjoy) and DC's films. If the films were well-written, no one would care about their relatively darker tone.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, they specifically said afterwards that they didn't want to do it. They did it because if there's going to be a copy out there, it may as well be a decent quality one.

I mean, I know they said this but I find it extremely difficult to believe that a trailer being shown at Comic-Con leaking out in poor phone quality was a surprise to anyone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Judakel posted:

If the films were well-written, no one would care about their relatively darker tone.

The Nolan Batman films were pretty drat dark and even pretty dour (his girlfriend gets clownmurdered, he gets his back broken, etc etc) and people couldn't get enough of them. Some people were actually tweeting #BringBackBale after they saw BvS.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheeee posted:

Most movie critics/reviewers are imbeciles.

I forgot who it was here who said it, I think it was LtKen, but it was something to the effect of 'if you think movie critics are bad, don't read any music critics. None of them talk about music.'

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So "dour" is just shorthand for "grimdark but I didn't like it"?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Judakel posted:

If the films were well-written, no one would care about their relatively darker tone.

How would someone who watches comic book films distinguish the difference?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I forgot who it was here who said it, I think it was LtKen, but it was something to the effect of 'if you think movie critics are bad, don't read any music critics. None of them talk about music.'

Tinymixtapes.com

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Hey, lay off Faraci! He fights for the homeless. He is a real hero.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 2, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

High Warlord Zog posted:

Hey, lay of Faraci! He fights for the homeless. He is a real hero.

It's hard to tell which part of this actually happened.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

I mean, I know they said this but I find it extremely difficult to believe that a trailer being shown at Comic-Con leaking out in poor phone quality was a surprise to anyone.

There was an Age of Ultron trailer the year before that completely failed to leak. Same with at least one of the Star Wars trailers. It's possible, but difficult.

It's hard to tell which part of this actually happened.

Devin Faraci exists, as do sandwiches.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Nolan Batman films were pretty drat dark and even pretty dour (his girlfriend gets clownmurdered, he gets his back broken, etc etc) and people couldn't get enough of them. Some people were actually tweeting #BringBackBale after they saw BvS.

bat affleck was a better than patrick batman

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

TetsuoTW posted:

I have never seen 'grimdark' used positively by anyone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

Devin Faraci exists, as do sandwiches.

Maybe it's a side effect of reading Reddit but there's definitely a certain cadence to recounting stories that for sure didn't happen. Audience participation is always a big part of them, it's like you can't leave well enough alone, there has to be some Improv Everywhere poo poo going on to seal the deal.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It reads like something you'd think of in hindsight and then retool your story so you can come off in a better and more eloquent way than your mumbling self.
Basically, shitthatneverhappened.txt

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Unkempt posted:

You make a strong point.What's the right word? "'Realistic'"? "Gritty"? "Mature"?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I found one unintentionally funny comment claiming that critics will like Civil War better than X-Men Apocalypse because the former is "mature" while the latter is "childish".

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

What do they talk about instead

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

The subculture surrounding the music, which is fine and dandy, but also talk about the thing!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The MSJ posted:

I found one unintentionally funny comment claiming that critics will like Civil War better than X-Men Apocalypse because the former is "mature" while the latter is "childish".

Stopping the literal end of the world is pretty immature, I agree.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I was nonplussed by AoU in theaters. Left going "meh." We own the collectors box infinity stone thing of Phase 2 and did a rewatch of all of them and when we got to AoU got about 20 minutes in, remembered how long it was, and turned it off. So I can't tell you how I felt about watch 2. So I'm someone who's a big enough fan to own both stupid-expensive box sets and that film is mediocre enough to not inspire a rewatch. I remember what happens. It's not awful. But I'd just rather watch many other things with that time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Hat Thoughts posted:

Tinymixtapes.com

e: No seriously read that.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I felt the same way about AoU and BvS when I saw them in the theater, I liked parts of both films, but overall they struck me as messy and overstuffed.

I did enjoy AoU a little bit better when I rewatched it recently, so I'm curious if I'll feel the same way about Beevis.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The MSJ posted:

I went to a early showing on day one and let me tell you that 12 year olds enjoy the gently caress out of this movie. One of them must have misunderstood the subtitles tho and thought that it was Steve's niece instead of Peggy Carter's niece. I can tell because he shouted "isn't that HIS niece?!" after a certain scene. It was great.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 2, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I mean really though, his back was only lightly sprained going by how he recovered. Who knew there was a licensed chiropractic in that whole in the ground prison?

BvS was great fun and interesting, but there were a few clumsy moments - namely the 'save Martha!' bit, and I'd have loved to see more Clark doing Clark stuff regarding Batman because he has a really strange hate on otherwise given all the other poo poo that goes on in the world (but I guess Batman is so near that it chaps his hide that he doesn't get as much poo poo even though Batman's effectively killing people by marking the criminals) and it would make his really poor effort to get Batman's help prior to their fight scene a little more acceptable, as well as him talking to Lois about his place as Superman.

I absolutely loved the scene with Costner. That perfectly encapsulated his struggle.

I think maybe people don't like how Superman isn't really a personality so much as a force of nature. The want him to kiss babies and make clever comments to the crowds of adoring masses.

I'm totally fine with Batman killing people, and him using a gun in a loving dream, because that suits this character - which also happens to be an interesting one.

(i hope he makes girlfriend/boyfriend with Diana) :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

Unkempt posted:

TetsuoTW posted:

You make a strong point.What's the right word? "'Realistic'"? "Gritty"? "Mature"?

It's not the setting or the maturity level or even the overall tone, it's the emotional journey the film takes you on and where it leaves you.

BvS ends with Batman's redemption and his realisation that he has to gather the League to his side but it doesn't feel like a hopeful moment. He's still scared and uncertain and acting out of fear which is amplified by Luthor's "The bell can't be unrung!" speech. He's not forming the League to inspire people, he's forming it out of desperation. He's not looking to lead people into the light and he hasn't really understood Superman's sacrifice.
BvS is a film about a man who has given up on hope and has chosen the path of fear and anger and who expected to die in the pursuit of his mad goal. He realises before the end of the film that his goal was folly but his redemption isn't complete enough to rekindle his sense of hope.

Compare it to the end of The Empire Strikes Back where Luke has had the poo poo kicked out of him five different ways and lost his best friend and discovered that Vader is his father and had to leave his Jedi training even though Yoda warned him he would be turned to the dark side if he confronted Vader and the Emperor before he was fully prepared. Luke resigned himself to his fate at the end but he never gave up on hope.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Unkempt posted:

All Star Batman and Robin was super grimdark and the better for it because it made it funnier.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It's not the setting or the maturity level or even the overall tone, it's the emotional journey the film takes you on and where it leaves you.

BvS ends with Batman's redemption and his realisation that he has to gather the League to his side but it doesn't feel like a hopeful moment. He's still scared and uncertain and acting out of fear which is amplified by Luthor's "The bell can't be unrung!" speech. He's not forming the League to inspire people, he's forming it out of desperation. He's not looking to lead people into the light and he hasn't really understood Superman's sacrifice.
BvS is a film about a man who has given up on hope and has chosen the path of fear and anger and who expected to die in the pursuit of his mad goal. He realises before the end of the film that his goal was folly but his redemption isn't complete enough to rekindle his sense of hope.

Compare it to the end of The Empire Strikes Back where Luke has had the poo poo kicked out of him five different ways and lost his best friend and discovered that Vader is his father and had to leave his Jedi training even though Yoda warned him he would be turned to the dark side if he confronted Vader and the Emperor before he was fully prepared. Luke resigned himself to his fate at the end but he never gave up on hope.

At the end of ESB, Luke attempts suicide rather than confronting the truth.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Darko posted:

All Star Batman and Robin was super grimdark and the better for it because it made it funnier.

It's debatable if the grimdarkness is on purpose, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Snowman_McK posted:

The equivalent scenes in BvS felt like they were mocking that cliche in the Marvel films.

So when Marvel does it it's a cliche, when DC does it it's a parody? It's pretty obvious they wanted to deflect the criticism MoS received.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Renoistic posted:

So when Marvel does it it's a cliche, when DC does it it's a parody? It's pretty obvious they wanted to deflect the criticism MoS received.

I honestly don't think it's much of either. If they wanted to deflect the criticism that MoS received they wouldn't have let the movie open up with a big scary reminder of the exact scenes that got that criticism, complete with a ground level view of the horror and showing specific faces of people who died/got maimed/lost loved ones.

Batman being responsible about where he fought Superman, especially knowing the collateral damage that could've been caused makes total thematic and plot sense (since again, we are shown how traumatized he is by the destruction). I can potentially see them adding in the "luckily downtown is mostly abandoned at this hour" line later to help ease people's minds but that is also a legitimate thing that happens in business heavy parts of big cities (I have friends who live in the Loop in Chicago and they hate that 90% of the bars/restaurants in the immediate area close after happy hour/once shows in the theatre district start, since it is mostly office buildings).

I definitely doubt that it was intentional parody though. Although I agree that some of the Marvel downplaying is getting ridiculous with the whole "74 people dead in New York" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, it was very clearly a reaction to the massive amounts of poo poo Snyder got for MoS.

And really, I don't see how that is a major cliche on the part of the marvel movies to begin with. For the most part Marvel takes time to show the Avengers actively assisting and evacuating civilians, which is a good thing to include. I haven't seen CW yet so I've no idea how well it's executed there, but if it's anything like the Anderson Cooper bit from BvS then lol.

• Locked thread