Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

After studying the preview some more I'm really looking forward to hate-watching that scene. Not only did they not get the numbers right (looks like Ned has only 5 companions which does not make it 7 vs 3 but 6 vs 3) but Dayne fighting Legolas/Hollywood style with akimbo long swords instead of Dawn against Ned who does not yet have Ice* and for some strange reason doesn't wear any armor beside his leather tunic is just wrong.

They really just don't give a poo poo about the fight scenes any more, do they? It's just full on cheese.

I mean, I've never really felt the fighting was even that good on the show, but there was at least a time when it had a certain brutal and gritty impact to it that seems to have been lost. Now it's just twirling Sand Snakes and Drizzt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Slow motion spinning dual claymores set to dubstep.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GaussianCopula posted:

Not only did they not get the numbers right (looks like Ned has only 5 companions which does not make it 7 vs 3 but 6 vs 3)

who cares

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
We had some fine fights during the first seasons (Ned x Jaime, The Hound vs The Mountain, The Hound vs Thoros)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
One day I'd like something where the violence is realistic. :colbert:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If D&D would spend a few episodes describing family trees or food, I think we would get better understandings of character motivations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm also 99% sure the gift is Theon. Why would Ramsay be happy about getting Rickon? He is a psycho so he could just be happy at the prospect of making somebody else miserable, but Rickon is the little Stark who the other Northern Lords probably don't remember so he doesn't pose an immediate threat to him unlike Sansa, Bran or Jon.

I mean, need I remind you this was a Dave Hill episode, so Theon exiting the stage left for no reason was probably for a stupid reason later on in the season.

He will either be the one to finally kill Ramsay, or he will try to kill Ramsay in order to get redemption, fail, and be the burning flayed man in the bastardbowl preview.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 2, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I really dont think is that absurd that Theon would go back to the Iron Islands.

He literally has nowhere else to go. He cant keep hanging out with Sansa and Brienne since their are going to Jon and he doenst wants to show his face to him. He cant go back to Winterfell. He is too broken physically and mentally to survive alone anywhere else.

At this point, his only other choice other than going back to his country is killing himself. There he will have no respect from anyone, even less than before. But he has reason to think that at least they will give him food and a place to sleep.

He should want a death by Jon at this point. Even if he doesn't, it's hard to see what appeal the Iron Islands hold for him. The last time he was there, he was treated like a worthless piece of poo poo by everyone because they thought it was weak. Then he was betrayed by his own men. Well now he is much much weaker so what's going to happen to him? They'll probably just kill him on sight to put him out of his misery. He's better off going to Essos by way of whatever teleportation magic he's planning on using to get to Pyke.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Also was D&D picked up by the secret service yet? Lying to the President has to be some sort of crime.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Elias_Maluco posted:

We had some fine fights during the first seasons (Ned x Jaime, The Hound vs The Mountain, The Hound vs Thoros)
Bronn versus Vardis Egen, too. From later seasons, Barristan's last fight was quite well choreographed, and so was Oberyn versus the Mountain and pretty much everything at Hardhome.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Really!? That's amazing. I saw how the other Dragon reached out his neck to let Tyrion release them, that was pretty amazing. It would be ever better if they can understand people talk.

It's possible that it was a coincidence, but I think it's safe to assume they meant to demonstrate some level of understanding. (At least I hope that's what was going on!)

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I thought the Hound/Brienne fight was good. Also Brienne/Jaime from season 3.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

GaussianCopula posted:

Please name one show invention that has a better narrative structure than the books. Given how brilliantly they were able to adapt book 1 it's just disappointing that we subsequently had to suffer through the legend of Gin Alley, show-Quarth, show-Dorne, the rape of Sansa Stark while they at the same time cut a lot of great arcs, like Mance, Lady Stoneheart and Aegon.

Most of those were pretty bad in the books too. Some good stuff.

The part with the doors in the warlock tower is my poo poo. Mance is a good character and I like how he goes back to Winterfell but the glamour thing is more bullshit than half of Preston Jacobs' theories. Lady Stoneheart again cheapens the impact of death in the series and it's a great twist but she hasn't done that much. Aegon is only good if you're going to do the Blackfyre stuff assuming it's true and that's too convoluted for the show. All three of these are characters who miraculously escaped death when they didn't have to and 2 use magic in ways that seem like copouts -- Catelyn could have been kept as a hostage then rescued and her vengeful persona would have still made sense, GRRM could have made it look like Mance died using non-magical means. I know it's a fantasy series and magic is returning but with that and all the cliffhangers it leaves a lot of possibility for ridiculous theories, some of which are more plausible than things that really happened.

The legend of Gin Alley was ridiculous but I don't think that's a bad thing, the skull scene was funny.

I don't think anyone is angry about the show or thinks the books are perfect, it's just kind of fun to pick it apart. I still enjoy the series and I'm glad that we're getting a conclusion to the series as well as the Tower of Joy next episode.

Kajeesus posted:

Balon was killed by a faceless man hired by Euron. Melisandre didn't do jack poo poo to him, Joffrey or Robb, other than predict that they were going to die in the near future and decided to convince Stannis that she had a finger in each of their deaths to convince him of her usefulness.

E: lol I just realized Melisandre had faith enough to resurrect Jon just after Balon died. Obviously his death was the catalyst that rekindled it.

Robb was killed by a leech - lord.

Lycus posted:

Theon is going back to Pyke to kill his father.

Welp.

Victarion's out of the show so Euron had to satisfy his sister-in-law adultery urges somehow. Maybe that's why Balon thought he was still fertile.

Ginette Reno posted:

There's a vision in the books of a man with no face on a swaying bridge so the implication in the books at least is a faceless man killed Balon.

I like the way the show did it though. We needed Euron established as a cool dude and the scene was well acted.

Euron mentions having had a dragon egg that he threw into the sea for no reason so some people think he used it to pay the Faceless Men, making a joke only he gets (Victarion can't tell if someone's joking.) The FM are related to Valyria and the dragons with speculation that Jaqen/Alchemist/Pate are looking for a book in the Citadel that has to do with dragons.

Anarkii posted:

Tower of Joy has been this sacred scene among book readers for over a decade. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull off the impact we hope it'll have. Not just the parentage reveal, but the dialogs in the scene are really memorable too.

The Tower of Joy is now the "Happy Castle."

whatever7 posted:

Book Theon makes a bigger effort and more proactive in redeeming himself. Show Theon is still kind of scarred for life. Show Theon is more believable.

I thought Ramsay's men hinted to him that Ramsay would have his tongue for the Jeyne incident and the spearwives threatened him into doing it. It was jump or get captured by Ramsay.

He's still hosed up in his TWOW sample chapter.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GaussianCopula posted:

Ned who... for some strange reason doesn't wear any armor beside his leather tunic is just wrong.
The reason is that this is not a book that says, "Ned did a thing," but a television show where the viewers are seeing a character that has been dead for four seasons, younger, played by a different actor.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Well, 7 and 3 are both prime numbers with a lot of mythological meaning* and it just shows that they don't care anymore because it's a little detail that costs nearly nothing to get right.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Howaland Reed is hiding behind the tower, camouflaged, waiting for his time to strike.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Theon says he's going home, not specifically to the Iron Islands, right? The next scene being Iron Islands is totally a fakeout.

He's so going to Winterfell.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yeah he's definitely going back to Winterfell.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

blah blah dave hill you know the book character Arthur Dayne, who is referred to as the Sword of the Morning because he has a really famous and ancient sword? Well, wouldn't it make sense he fights with TWO swords now blah blah writer on show

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Theon is heading to Hardhome. It's the only town in the series that has "home" right in the name.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
27 seconds into the preview there's clearly 6 silhouettes drawing swords (including Ned). Considering they kept the same dialogue from Ned's fever dream I'm betting they got the numbers right and I wouldn't take too much from the trailers.

Plus none of the dudes looks a lot shorter than the others so maybe it's gonna be Howland Reed out of nowhere to save the day

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

hes not going to Winterfell, theres leaked set photos of Theon being present at the Kingsmoot

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Why the gently caress would he go to winterfell? He managed to gather enough will to flee, but he is still terrified by Ramsay

It would make no loving sense if he just goes back there. It makes a lot more sense for him to go back to the islands, even if its just to die there

And the guy can barely walk and speak, how do you people expect he would do heroics or flee to Essos to live by himself? The Iron Islands is the only place in the world where maybe someone would accept him (his sister)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 2, 2016

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This year, Theon is Hamlet.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Adun posted:

27 seconds into the preview there's clearly 6 silhouettes drawing swords (including Ned). Considering they kept the same dialogue from Ned's fever dream I'm betting they got the numbers right and I wouldn't take too much from the trailers.

Plus none of the dudes looks a lot shorter than the others so maybe it's gonna be Howland Reed out of nowhere to save the day

That would actually destroy the scene, because it's clearly painted as a rather open confrontation between Ned's group and the three knights of the Kingsguard. Howland Reed ambushing them would betray the warriors code and you'd wonder why Ned did not just bring enough (cross)bow men to have no casualties on his side, given that he had the entire coalition army at his back.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

They really just don't give a poo poo about the fight scenes any more, do they? It's just full on cheese.

I mean, I've never really felt the fighting was even that good on the show, but there was at least a time when it had a certain brutal and gritty impact to it that seems to have been lost. Now it's just twirling Sand Snakes and Drizzt.

There were some pretty good fight scenes, I remember reading a few years ago that the show had its own weapons trainers for the cast. They Would learn how to properly wield swords, spears, axes, etc. to make it look believable.

Now they have dual-wielding swords and whips.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Narmi posted:

There were some pretty good fight scenes, I remember reading a few years ago that the show had its own weapons trainers for the cast. They Would learn how to properly wield swords, spears, axes, etc. to make it look believable.

Now they have dual-wielding swords and whips.

Dual-wielding swords actually take a lot of skill and the actor that plays the Sword of the Morning was specifically cast for his sword fighting skills. The problem is just that he is a skilled sword fighting actor, which means his style looks good and not be actually efficient in a fight.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It occurs to me that if Brienne makes it to Castle Black and joins Jon and Davis 100% of the honorable characters in Westeros will be at that one location.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Narmi posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone explain why one of the stab wounds on Jon is curved? It looks almost like a semicricle.

Isn't it obvious? Curved wounds can only be made by curved blades. The Dothraki are known to use curved blades. One of the people who stabbed Jon was a Dothraki spy. Khaleesi commands (a small but still one nonetheless) Dothraki horde. She found out Jon was her older brother and sent a spy to go kill him to tie up that loose end.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's also probably a sign of how good the fight coordinator is in each area that they film. I doubt they have one person overseeing every fight scene since the schedule is spread out all over the world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Drunk in Space posted:

Its all over the place. You have a few good fights where they seemed to give a gently caress like Oberyn vs The Mountain or The Hound vs Brienne, or hell even Bronn vs that guy in the vale, but then you have several fight scenes like the Sand Snakes which are just full on fantasy bullshit, not even trying to choreograph a fight properly.

The fight with Brienne and Ramsay's men on horseback wasn't too bad, though short.

Hopefully we'll get to see Sir Strong kill a bunch of dudes in a really brutal fashion, realistic or not.

Max posted:

It's also probably a sign of how good the fight coordinator is in each area that they film. I doubt they have one person overseeing every fight scene since the schedule is spread out all over the world.

Yeah I was thinking this, they probably have one team that gives a poo poo and works hard on choreography, but then another team that's just trying to shoot things in a hurry or make it look "cool" in the cliche stupid hollywood way without real thinking.

Although the Sand Snakes are the worst and they're shooting in Spain, and Oberyn vs Martell was shot in ... well not sure.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

It occurs to me that if Brienne makes it to Castle Black and joins Jon and Davis 100% of the honorable characters in Westeros will be at that one location.

I don't know how she is suppose to get from the Wall to the Riverlands this season. Or why she would suddenly leave Sansa for no raisin.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its all over the place. You have a few good fights where they seemed to give a gently caress like Oberyn vs The Mountain or The Hound vs Brienne, or hell even Bronn vs that guy in the vale, but then you have several fight scenes like the Sand Snakes which are just full on fantasy bullshit, not even trying to choreograph a fight properly.

The fight with Brienne and Ramsay's men on horseback wasn't too bad, though short.

Hopefully we'll get to see Sir Strong kill a bunch of dudes in a really brutal fashion, realistic or not.

First of all, it's Ser Murdergolem :colbert:

Second, we already did--when he turned that dude's skull to hamburger. I did feel cheated when he didn't slaughter all those Lannister guardsmen though.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Boris Galerkin posted:

Isn't it obvious? Curved wounds can only be made by curved blades. The Dothraki are known to use curved blades. One of the people who stabbed Jon was a Dothraki spy. Khaleesi commands (a small but still one nonetheless) Dothraki horde. She found out Jon was her older brother and sent a spy to go kill him to tie up that loose end.

this, obviously.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I liked how last week, Ramsey fed a dead girl to dogs, which segued nicely into this week, where he fed a live woman and infant to those very same dogs. Excellent use of foreshadowing by the writers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alter Ego posted:

First of all, it's Ser Murdergolem :colbert:

Second, we already did--when he turned that dude's skull to hamburger. I did feel cheated when he didn't slaughter all those Lannister guardsmen though.

Smashing the dude's head like a cantaloupe was pretty funny but not much of a fight.

Something's definitely coming though because they showed us a clip that we have yet to see way back in the season previews where Cersei says "I choose violence"

They made it look like it was gonna happen this episode with those lannister guards, but then faked us out. Instead its probably going to be the faith militant next episode.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Zaphod42 posted:

Smashing the dude's head like a cantaloupe was pretty funny but not much of a fight.

Something's definitely coming though because they showed us a clip that we have yet to see way back in the season previews where Cersei says "I choose violence"

They made it look like it was gonna happen this episode with those lannister guards, but then faked us out. Instead its probably going to be the faith militant next episode.

Doesn't she say that directly to Lancel?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The more I think about it the more it makes sense for Roose to have killed Ramsay and not vice versa. He know this wild idiot is a completely liability, he finally has an heir, and the show has established the only person Ramsay fears and respects is Roose. And it would fit in with the theme of "you get what you want, but now how you want it" (like Joffrey dying but Tyrion being framed, etc etc)

Instead Ramsay fuckin' succeeds AGAIN and he even has to give a quippy one-liner when he murders a woman and a baby with dogs. Like what the fuckin hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for Roose to have killed Ramsay and not vice versa. He know this wild idiot is a completely liability, he finally has an heir, and the show has established the only person Ramsay fears and respects is Roose. And it would fit in with the theme of "you get what you want, but now how you want it" (like Joffrey dying but Tyrion being framed, etc etc)

Instead Ramsay fuckin' succeeds AGAIN and he even has to give a quippy one-liner when he murders a woman and a baby with dogs. Like what the fuckin hell.

They really really want you to hate Ramsay. They're building him up as Joffrey 2.0 as hard as they possibly can. He's going to die in episode 9, I'm calling it now.

TK-42-1 posted:

Doesn't she say that directly to Lancel?

Ah yeah probably, I'd have to re-watch it. (Also could have been clever editing to make us think that) probably, that would confirm what I was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GaussianCopula posted:

Dual-wielding swords actually take a lot of skill and the actor that plays the Sword of the Morning was specifically cast for his sword fighting skills. The problem is just that he is a skilled sword fighting actor, which means his style looks good and not be actually efficient in a fight.

Is there such a thing as realistic dual sword fighting style?

• Locked thread